Start by marking “Out of the Picture: A Shepherd Sisters Mystery” as Want to Read:
Out of the Picture: A Shepherd Sisters Mystery

Out of the Picture: A Shepherd Sisters Mystery

Published September 3rd 2019 by Hallmark Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Picture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Picture

Start your review of Out of the Picture: A Shepherd Sisters Mystery
Natalia  Ramlal
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Savanna Shepherd has moved back to her hometown after a bad breakup. She wants a fresh start and things seem to be looking up for her. she loves her new job as an art teacher at the local elementary school and is enjoying spending more time with her two sisters. She is thrilled when an old family friend and art collector, Caroline asks her to paint a mural. Unfortunately, her happiness is short-lived when she starts noticing bizarre things occurring in the woman's home. First, there's an ...more
JoAn
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery, arc
Out of the Picture by Tracy Gardner was a quickly paced cozy mystery that I enjoyed reading from the first chapter to the last chapter.

Ms. Gardner's writing style is smooth and easy and she develops her characters well as she introduces each one throughout the story. I liked all three sisters, Savannah, Skylar and Sydney, as they were all unique but the family bond was clear. The mystery was slightly complex with just enough twists to keep me guessing until Savannah, with her art background,
Betty
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Since I don't watch TV I haven't seen the Hallmark Channel. This a delightful easy to read book introducing the Shepard Sisters, Savanna an artist, Skylar, a lawyer and Sydney, a dog grooming business.
Savanna has returned to her town town and has a job teaching art at the local middle school. The sisters are helping a closed friend Caroline Carson to celebrate her 90s birthday. Savanna is printing a mural on Caroline's wall. Strange things are happening at Caroline's. During afternoon tea a
Tari
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh this was so good! True to being a Hallmark product, the characters were amazing, the town was cute and things worked out great in the end with a few conflicts, scares and bumps along the way. I just loved the character of Caroline, a sweet but feisty lady who was getting ready to turn 90. The Shepherd sisters were so cool--anyone would love to be friends with them. And what kid wouldn't love to have Savanna as their art teacher?

I was so sure that I knew who the perp was, but it turned out to
Amanda
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, mystery
What a page-turner! I really had a hard time putting this one down. Savanna Shepherd has recently moved back to her hometown and finds herself wrapped up in a little bit of romance and a LOT of mystery! I liked the characters in this story: Savanna and her sisters Skylar and Sydney, their almost-grandmother Caroline, and doctor Aidan. I'm hoping this will be first in a series - just based on the way the title includes "A Shepherd Sisters Mystery" - so I can continue to follow this charming trio ...more
Savannah Hendricks
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, not only was this a great read, but I learned so much about art! I have read only a handful of mysteries, but this one is my favorite now! I loved the characters and while I consider myself rather intelligent, the story kept me guessing. There were intriguing parts, funny moments, and family bonding. I’m looking forward to Hallmark turning this into a movie, and the second book!
Annarella
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first cozy mystery I read published by Hallmark and I'm more than happy that I got this ARC.
It's a perfect Hallmark book and a very good cozy mystery.
It's really cinematographic: you can easily picture the setting and the characters while you're reading it and I think it'd a very nice movie.
The book is engrossing and entertaining, once I started I couldn't put it down.
I loved the well written cast of characters, the lovely setting, and the entertaining and engrossing plot.
The mystery
Ann
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Savannah Sheperd is returning home to her small town on Lake Michigan. She lost her job as an art authenticater, her fiance and her apartment. She was lucky to land a job teaching art at the local school and is happy being back with her two sisters and friends. The woman who taught Savannah to love art asks her to paint a mural on one of her living room walls and Savanna get involved in finding the art forgery expert who sold her friend fake painting. Accidents and death are part of the story as ...more
Kelly
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Out of the Picture was an enjoyable cozy mystery type read. I enjoyed the fast-paced and there were enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. I will be looking for more books by this author.
Lynne Ernst
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Going back to your hometown always brings a look at the past with an eye to the future. Savanna comes home from Chicago after a breakup. Small town fun. A very enjoyable read.

I received a copy of this book for a honest review.
Chris Buono
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Greed and blind trust can be a deadly combination.

In “Out of the Picture” author Tracy Gardner paints a believable cozy mystery with her sleuth-worthy art teacher Savanna Shepherd character. A Columboesque-like detective by happenstance, Savanna, when it comes to solving the crime(s) at hand, is no forgery. Instead, this former Chicagoan art authenticator is a genuine master at connecting the suspicion dots to protect, help all, and solve.

Gardner puzzles together well Savanna’s character
Linda Dunn
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Palette of Mystery...

I enjoy a good nail biter of a mystery. Tracy Gardner definitely delivered. The story kicks off with acquainting us with Savanna and her two sisters Skylar and Sydney. Savanna has returned to her home roots after an upsetting breakup. She lands herself a job as an art teacher at the local school. Savanna is highly skilled in authenticating art and is an excellent artist herself. She is asked by Caroline who is like a grandma to the three sisters if she could paint a mural
Ruby
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have always liked cozy mysteries and Hallmark has done such a wonderful job bringing many of them to life on TV. It is no surprise that they found this talented author and her cast of witty characters to share with us Out of the Picture. I enjoyed it so much and was even stumped at the end. Very good.

Thanks Hallmark for the ARC.
Daria White
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Out of the Picture is the story of Savanna Shepherd who moves back to her hometown after a painful breakup. Now, she’s close to her family once more including her parents, sisters, and Caroline Carson, an eighty-nine-year-old woman whom she loves as a grandmother. As Caroline has her paint a mural inside her home, Savanna’s skills as an art authenticator kick into high gear. Something is off with Caroline’s paintings and Savanna won’t rest until she finds out why.

Tracy Gardener is a new author
Jennifer Ritter
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Out of the Picture is the first installment of Tracy Gardner’s Shepherd Sisters mysteries. Savanna Shepherd is the middle of three sisters from the small town of Carson, Michigan located on the banks of Lake Michigan. Savanna has recently moved home from Chicago after her long time fiancé decided he needed to go find himself. In Chicago Savanna, an art authenticator, has worked for the gallery owned by her fiancé’s family. Moving home was a refuge at the time but Savanna soon realizes that home ...more
Mechthild
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is there only mystery about the art?
The author of multiple books, Tracy Gardner, presents "Out of the Picture. A Shepherd Sisters Mystery", published by Hallmark Publishing. Savannah Shepherd, a former art authenticator has moved back to her hometown, the little beach town Carson. Now she is living with her sister Sydney and enjoying teaching art at the local elementary school. These two, and their oldest sister Skylar, are good friends with Caroline Carson. Savannah is asked to paint a beach
Kristin
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow. Wow. WOW!! This is the first cozy mystery book from Hallmark Publishing and boy it does not disappoint.

Savanna Shepherd returns to her hometown of Carson after a break-up with her fiance and is asked to create a mural in the house of family friend, Caroline. As she gets used to her new--and happier-- life back home, trouble comes knocking when a friend of Caroline's dies in the house and other unexplained events occur. With help from her sisters and handsome doctor, Aidan, Savanna delves
Barbara Sousa
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Picture, the first book in Tracy Gardner’s Shepherd Sisters Mysteries, is the picture-perfect book for a lazy afternoon by the lake. Enjoyable throughout, this book really shines in the way its characters immediately feel like long, lost friends.

Art authenticator Savanna Shepherd has moved back to her hometown following a tumultuous breakup. Hoping to reinvent her life, she takes a job as an elementary school art teacher and is commissioned to do a mural in the home of longtime family
Vicki
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I first started to read this book, I thought I was reading a mystery but, somehow, it came across as a romance. Then I remembered that it was a book released by Hallmark and the romance part of the mystery made sense.

It is the second in a series of three books. The books are about the Shepherd sisters. In this book, Savanna Shepherd as just moved home after losing her long term relationship when her fiance decided he needed something more.

Because she worked for his family, she felt the need
Doreen McGettigan
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book one in the Shepard Sisters Mystery series has Savannah Shepard returning home from Chicago to the small Lake Michigan town of Carson to mend after a broken engagement. Savannah is barely settled when she fears someone is out to get close family friend, and the town matriarch Caroline Carson.
Her and her sisters become embroiled in some dangerous situations as they try to identify who has the most to gain if Caroline is out of the picture.
The author has created relatable, lovable characters,
Judy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! The three sisters are awesome! So different in their careers, but always there for each other. I can’t even think about spending so much money on a painting, but there are artists certainly worth their cost. Caroline, wouldn’t you just love to have her be your friend or family? What a wonderful person! She tickled me with her attitude and spunk. I have to know what is to become of Savanna and Aidan, so hopefully there will another book and I can find out. I can’t wait to learn ...more
Josephine
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Out of the Picture is a brilliant appellation foreshadowing the unreeling of an art forger's furtive transactions. The mystery sets out with a classic Hallmark family union of the Shepherd family upon the return of their middle sister, Savannah, who had left her job as an astute art authenticator in Chicago following a breakup from her fiance and was just beginning to reacquaint herself with life back in her hometown in the Midwest. Between healing from the breakup, juggling her new career as an ...more
Gail Hollingsworth
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cozy mystery that anyone could enjoy. No gore or scary parts to give you nightmares. Lovable characters you feel like are friends. I could easily picture this as a Hallmark movie. I was kept guessing right up to the end, turning pages as fast as I could to find out who dun-nit. And the cover is beautiful too. I’m enjoying these Hallmark novels and am looking forward to more.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher but wasn’t required to write a review positive or
Christen Friedrich
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this first installment of the new Shepherd Sisters mystery series! I was afraid the book might be predictable but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was not. The mystery kept me guessing until the end. I truly enjoyed the relationship between the sisters and the budding romance was a bonus for this Hallmark fan. I could visualize this book as I was reading, a mark of excellent writing. I will definitely read any further books in this series!
Jamie Stark
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tracy Gardner's Out of the Picture is a fun and entertaining read. It is the first book from Hallmark I've read that combines a whodunit with first attraction and romance.

I'm a sucker for a great mystery, and this one definitely kept me guessing until the end. I also enjoyed the flirtation and blossoming relationship between Savannah and Aidan, the handsome doctor.

All in all I'd say this is a great book to enjoy on those cool, crisp autumn nights sitting by a fireplace and drinking mulled cider
Alicia
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
It was an easy book to listen to via audio, but as the story progressed it felt very familiar. It wasn't till the end when it stated who produced the audiobook that it became clear. It was produced by Hallmark...I love watching Hallmark channels, now I have a new way to feed my "addiction" ...Listening to Hallmark stories.
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
OUT OF THE PICTURE will be the perfect book for you if you are a fan of the Hallmark movies and mysteries.
Our author provides the reader with a delightful blend of mystery with the perfect hint of romance.
I had been longing to read this book since I first heard it mentioned. Art? Mystery? A lake side setting? Yes please.
My only disappointment was the lack of description. I am not from the region, nor am I familiar with the landscape, and therefore I would have loved to have had the setting
Dixie
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the wholesome family dynamics and the community as extended family vibe. Character development was organically produced as the plot drove the inclusion of backstory. The story was suspenseful without blood and gore. The romance was light and hopeful, but wasn't central to the plot. A nice read with appeal for a wide audience.
I requested and voluntarily read an advanced review copy provided by the publisher and I offer my honest opinion in response.
Tracy Fritts
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgallery
This is the first book in A Shepherd Sisters mystery series. I thought it was a wonderful read and enjoyable characters. it was a page turner and well written. I enjoyed the story line. i look forward to reading more from this author.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you NetGallery and Hallmark Publishing.
Sandra
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Out of the Picture by Tracy Gardner is the first book in A Shepherd Sisters Mystery series.

I really enjoyed this book. It has all element of a good cozy. A well plotted mystery, likable and relatable characters, beautiful setting and a bit of romance.

Savannah Shepherd has come back home, after a broken engagement she quit her job and decided that some changes are in order. After ten years in a big city she craves her small town, located on a beautiful lake and most of all her family.
Family
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Royal Christmas Wish
  • A Gingerbread Romance
  • Wrapped Up In Christmas
  • An Unforgettable Christmas
  • Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder (Main Street Book Club Mysteries #1)
  • A Down Home Christmas
  • Love at the Shore
  • Christmas In Evergreen: Letters to Santa
  • Read and Buried (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #6)
  • Apple Cider Slaying (A Cider Shop Mystery #1)
  • Beach Wedding Weekend
  • Jealousy Filled Donuts (Deputy Donut Mystery #3)
  • Tide and Punishment (A Seaside Cafe Mystery, #3)
  • Fudge Bites (A Candy-coated Mystery #7)
  • Buried in the Stacks (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #3)
  • Have Yourself a Beary Little Murder (Shamelessly Adorable Teddy Bear Mystery, #3)
  • The Bakeshop at Pumpkin and Spice
  • Coached to Death (The Life Coach Mysteries #1)