Start by marking “The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie” as Want to Read:
The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

The story follows brothers Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, and their adventures in the Australian bush. As well as many friends, along the way they encounter the wicked Banksia Men.
Published 1992 by Cornstalk Publishing (first published 1918)

Start your review of The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
Manny
Snugglepot

Not, you never said that Snugglepot and Cuddlepie was a sex-and-violence-infused philosophically-motivated Scandinavian-themed retelling of Genesis. WHY DID YOU LIE TO ME?
______________________

[Later the same day]

Snugglepot2

Well, I'm definitely building up a picture of what this book is like. I'm going to be soooo disappointed if it turns out that the Goodreads recommendations engine was just strME?
[Later
Bionic Jean
If the title Snugglepot and Cuddlepie makes you wince, then this is not for you. For as the saying goes, what you see is what you get. On the other hand, if you just went "Aww!" at the title and picture, or you have a yen for childhood nostalgia, or you have very young children at the moment, then this is a treat. Older children may sneer contemptuously, or they may secretly rather enjoy it if they like cute stories. It is an Australian classic.

May Gibbs was an Australian author, although she
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
It is an absolute pleasure to be involved in showcasing the great work of one of Australia’s most treasured children’s book writers and illustrators, May Gibbs. As part of the celebrations to commemorate one hundred years since the work of May Gibbs was first published, a range of May Gibbs books have been remastered, in updated formats for audiences new and old to enjoy.

Here at Mrs B’s Book Reviews, I will be conduc
Jacqueline Brocker
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nanolomo
I’m not sure how well-known outside of Australia these stories – and art work, especially – are. Even if you didn’t read, or had read to you, the stories of the gumnut babies Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, their friends Ragged Blossom, and Mr Lizard, and those dastardly Banksia men, if you’re Aussie, you know the image of a gumnut baby well. These you can see on the cover here, whose dress and life is based on the gumnuts produced by the eucalyptus tree.

Taking an educated guess, I’d say t
Belinda
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyoneeee!!
Recommended to Belinda by: My granny
This book is the reason why I have so much love and respect for lizards and am still scared of Banksias. I have an irrational fear that they will come alive and render me deadibones!
Izzy
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i can remember reading it as a child and loving it. i have personal feelings towards it and is for me cherished.
Abigail
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Interested in Classic Australian Children's Books
This bind-up edition - part of Angus & Robertson's Australian Children's Classics series - contains three adventures that were originally published separately: Snugglepot and Cuddlepie in 1918, Little Ragged Blossom in 1920, and Little Obelia in 1934.

The first story follows the adventures of the eponymous Snuggelpot and Cuddlepie, two gumnut babies who set out to see one of the "bad" human beings. Making a friend of Mr. Lizard and an enemy of Mrs. Snake along the way, they eventually find themselves in Big Bad City (yep
Russell
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Great drawings.
Sue Gerhardt Griffiths
Listening to Snugglepot and Cuddlepie narrated by a full cast was a wonderful and enchanting experience. As a child I had never heard of the May Gibb’s stories I grew up with mostly fairytales especially the Brothers Grimm fairytales and I loved them! The first I heard of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie and the Bad Banksia Men was when I listened to John Williamson sing about them in the early 90s, and not until now have I had a chance to listen to the delightful tale, my next step is to find and buy t ...more
Linda
My memories of this book are less about the story - which is all over the place and darned hard to follow sometimes - and ALL about the pictures. Gorgeous, detailed, parallel universe, Aussie bush, hand-drawn illustrations. May Gibbs was truly an artist.

Bum scrum. My favourite. You'll have to find a copy and go towards the end of the book (Little Obelia) to find it. Having seen a rugby scrum will explain better, but still ridiculously cute.

And yes, like many Aussie kids '
Asher
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
this is like my childhood in one book. It used to be a tradition that my mum would read me a book every night or a chapter of a book if it was a series or a novel. But when we started reading these it was like a whole new world opened up to me. The characters were mostly absolutely adorable with their little hats and the writing managed to reach out to younger readers/ listeners emotionally too. The pictures were incredibly lovely. All in all, I loved this series and the memories it holds for me ...more
Nina
I don't think it's because I'm an adult. In the end, I've read quite some children's books I loved... Perhaps it's cos I lack the sense of nostalgia here? Either way, I thought "Australia's best-loved children's book" would blow my socks off, but it was hard to get into the story. I quite enjoyed Gibbs' writing style, though I felt like running around like a chicken without a head throughout the fist book "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie".

"Little Ragged Blossom" brought a breath of fresh ai
Einzige
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australiana
A lovely written and illustrated fairy story - so why read this book over others? Well what is special about this book is that it's an Australian application of the genre, which creates the interesting effect of being both very familiar and alien at the same time making it a real Australian fairy tale rather than a fairy tale told by an Australian. So for non Australians there's an element of novelty and for Australians there's the immersion and magic that can't be fully had in wholly European s ...more
Op
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book secondhanded in Blok M and quite satisfied that (turns out) this actually is a "classic" and popular childhood story in Australia. I also love the cheeky names of our heroes, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie. Jadi pengen ndusel nggak siiih...

I found this not easy to read because not sure if it's because a. my English is getting worse or b. I am just stupid. But after some pages it is okay as long you're patient enough to give attention (got lost many times tho) because the pa
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Gibbs achieves much in these three little books. Her illustrations are lovely, her characters loveable, and the stories enjoyable—with elements of both fantasy and reality. But in addition, she showcases the wildlife downunder (both in the bush and under the sea)—at times, in rather creative ways—the Kangaroo cabs for one pop immediately to mind. The stories are written simply, yet have a certain amount of ‘wordplay’, in some instances reminiscent of Alice. And she conveys her message against be ...more
Jasmin Martin
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read this not too long ago and wondered what on earth happened. The language is a bit odd, and that prevented me from going further. It's a classic for a very good reason: the concept and idea, plus the illustrations are brilliant. I just wish the language was different.
Cait ♡
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's an Australian classic for kids, IMO. It is amazing!
Heather
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's a shame more people don't know this book. If they did, they would understand my terror of all things that look like Banksia Men!
Robyn
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book when I was a little girl, but was terrified by the Banksia men. LOL
Margaret E
Absolutely loved it as a child. Adored the drawings, they were so detailed and just wonderful. I still have a thing for "gum leaves", because of this wonderful book. A great childhood adventure.
Adrielle
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
This is an Aussie tale that is such a classic that it is still read in homes today. It is an exceptional story accompanied by exceptional art. Lots of love for the Aussie classics.
Kerri Murphy
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first saw this book at B. Dalton Booksellers, in 1985. It say on my book shelf for a year and a half before I started reading it. Buying it was one of the best book investment that I had made. During all three of my pregnancies, I would read out loud these stories. I continued reading out loud for two of my children, who still remember some of the characters.
Snugglepot and Cuddlepie are brothers, foster brothers, who are also gumnuts from a eucalyptus tree. This book recounts their adve
Angie Rhodes
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
An Australian Classic, that will warm all hearts. Cuddlepie and Snugglepot are tiny little Nuts or fairies , who together have adventures together, along with their many friends. Though only a slim book,it is full of the beautiful artwork of May Gibbs.
If you want something to read this Christmas that is unlike anything you usually read, this is it,, Beautifully written, and artwork to love, , for all ages,
Krystal
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Possibly one of the most iconic series of my childhood! I loved looking at the pictures - it was so beautifully illustrated. Particularly loved the pink flowers, and I do recall a giant gecko that was a lot of fun!

The Banksia Men didn't really do it for me, but who likes the villain when you're a kid?
Alice Brewer
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardcopy, 52books2018
#52books2018 number 40: the Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie by May Gibbs. 3 books in 1. For me: perfection in nostalgia, but sheer joy in reading aloud and seeing it capture the imagination of 7, 9 and 10 yr olds alike. Timeless writing and illustrations. Love.
Kathy
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations are lovely. I expect I would have greatly enjoyed this as a kid. The stories are charming and weird in just the right balance. I especially enjoyed the variety of Australian wildlife that shows up in these stories.
Elizabeth
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A true Australian classic! A must read.
Tg
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am still charmed and my daughter is newly charmed and magicked away...
Vera
Looooovely illustrations, I absolutely adore them. Storywise there's a bit too much happening that doesn't really make sense. I don't know if I expect too much for a children's book maybe, but then for children it's quite horrific: actually the whole book is quite a thriller with those wicked Banksia men! Still I found it super special to read this famous Australian book as a non-ozzie :)
Naz

• Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Diary of a Wombat
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • Storm Boy
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1)
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • The Wishing-Chair Again
  • The Lost Thing
  • A Fortunate Life
  • Edward the Emu
  • My Place
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • There's a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating Cake
  • Who Sank the Boat?
  • My Place
  • Hating Alison Ashley
  • Where Is the Green Sheep?
  • People