Start by marking “The Year After You” as Want to Read:
The Year After You

The Year After You

Up in the Alps, Cara's old life feels a million miles away. Nobody at Hope Hall knows her past. With secrets to keep, can Cara allow herself this chance to live again?

New Year's Eve, San Francisco.
The most promising party of the year ends in tragedy.
Georgina is gone and nothing will bring her back.

Nine months later, Cara's mother decides a Swiss boarding school will

Published February 14th 2019 by Ink Road

To ask other readers questions about The Year After You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year After You

Lara (Bookish_turtle)
Really good book! There was not all that much happening at the very start and I felt it was a bit slow to get into, but past the first bit I really enjoyed it!

I don't know what it was about the story, but I just felt compelled to keep reading, even though plot-wise there was not that much happening a lot of the time.

A lot of the points presented were really meaningful!! There were a couple that fell flat, but overall it was really nice.

And the characters were super complex which was also refresh
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Friendship, grief, blame, second-chances, forgiveness.

Content Warning: Grief, PTSD, homophobia

This book. This glorious, gorgeous book. It broke my heart and lifted my soul and I really don't think I can put in to words how much I loved it.

I think I'll start with the setting. I am a sucker for boarding school settings, the way that everything is so much more intense in close quarters, how relationships run at a different pace, the family-like quality of the people around you even (especi
Hilly
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, arcs

This was a cute debut. I had never read a young adult book set in the Swiss mountains before this one and I loved the atmosphere. The cover is particularly spectacular and sets the mood of the book perfectly.
Still, this book wasn't really my thing. It read a lot like Anna and the French Kiss with the foreign boarding school setting, the group of friends, the love interest, the themes. I know that a lot of people will love The Year After You as much as they love Anna and the French Kiss
Max
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
I loved this a lot. This book deals with topics like mental ilness and guilt (PTSS). The author did a great job of writing the characters, they are very believable. The setting is a boarding school so that's always interesting. I love how you kept learning more about the main character's problems and why she isn't perfect. But she too deserves forgiveness!

So, great book for young adults or just adults. Possible trigger warnings: guilt, homophobia, suicide, mental ilness.

Liv | Books to Liv by
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
Rating: 4 stars
HEA: (view spoiler)
“Your friend might be gone, but everything you built with her lives on. She’ll be a marker for you –for what you expect from friendships. For how you carry yourself into new experiences, things you weren’t able to do with her. For how you love. She’ll be with you, inside you, for the rest of everything.”

I have always wondered about Swiss boarding schools and how they looked and felt like. I think it’s quite common when you live nearb
Vanessa Loockx
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek ligt in de lijn v KA Tucker haar laatste boek maar dit boek vond ik een pak beter.
Bookread2day
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book holds a situation that's being talked about rather a lot now and that's mental illness. At the beginning of this book becomes a little unsettling. Cara is in hospital where her psychiatrist wants to keep Cara in for a few more days to observe her. Naturally her mother doesn't understand as Cara only has a broken arm, but what her mother didn't know is the Psychiatrist is concerned that her daughter is having suicidal thoughts. I can well imagine how Cara's mother doesn't want to accept ...more
Lauren James
An exploration of grief and loss that breathes new life into the boarding school genre.
Bridget
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Adult/YA Readers, Readers of Romance, Teens, Anyone
This is a wonderful, soul-searching, but sad story of hope and grief and it is one of the best books that I have read in a while.

It is set in Hope Hall, a Swiss boarding school located in the Alps. For me, one of the things that Nina de Pass did very cleverly was using the setting to maximum effect in THE YEAR AFTER YOU. Since my childhood, I have loved boarding school settings, as everything is so much more intense when in close proximity, such as romantic liaisons and relationships which tend
Rosanna Threakall
This is simply stunning.
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
I had expected to like this book, but I don`t think I could ever have predicted how much it would blow me completely and utterly away. It is the story of a girl named Cara- who is grieving the death of her best friend G who died in a tragic accident that Cara blames herself for on the New Year`s Eve nine months prior to the book`s opening- and how her being “exiled” to Hope Hall, a boarding school in Switzerland known for helping troubled teens, and meeting new friends there helps her begin to h ...more
Emma Ferrier
The Year After You follows Cara who has been struggling with some things that she keeps hidden from potential new friends when she moves to a Swiss boarding school to help give her a fresh start. The mystery element and the boarding school setting are definitely what drew me in to it and whilst personal preference would have me wanting more mystery, this contemporary with a mystery element was done just right.

Too often we get contemporary books that deal with tough topics (in this case, grief/s
Manon
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*4.25 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Cara has lived something traumatic and her mother decides to send her to a boarding school in Switzerland so that she can process and heal. But Cara has a lot of trouble connecting considering how guarded she is. And who could blame her? But Hector and Ren insert themselves into her life and Cara can't help but feel things and it's not without its challenges.

I'm a sucker for boarding school stories and this was no e
Lizz
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, arcs
The Year After You is a YA story about Cara, a teenager who is grieving and blaming herself for the death of her best friend in a tragic accident on NYE almost a year before the story takes place. Cara is then sent to Hope Hall, a boarding school in switzerland by her mother who thinks it would be good for Cara to have a fresh start.

Cara is still grieving the loss of her best friend, while struggling with self blame, anxiety and depression. At Hope Hall she meets Ren, Fred and Hector. These thre
Jessica Gilham
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was an emotional journey if I ever saw one.
I definitely tend to stop myself from reading books like this, but when I actually finish reading them, it’s like I’ve been given this gigantic reward.
My favourite books of all time have been things like ‘Neverland’ by Margot McGovern, ‘The Sister Pact’ by Stacie Ramey and ‘Love Letters to the Dead’ by Ava Dellaira, all of which follow in the same vein as this book.
I think there’s something so beautiful and haunting about this book. The atmosphere
Lily
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, favorites
Review copied over from my blog check it out for more reviews and other bookish content!

The moment I read the blurb for The Year After You by Nina de Pass I knew I had to read this book. So of course you can imagine my excitement when I was given and ARC of this book for free in exchange for an honest review! It's been a long time since a YA contemporary has hit me in the emotions quite as hard as The Year After You did, and I loved every second of it.

Nine months ago, New Year's Eve, there's a
zaheerah
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
*I received a copy via the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.*

Almost a year after a car accident that derailed Cara’s life, her mother enrols her into Hope Hall, for her final year. Miles away from anyone who knows her, on a secluded boarding school in the Alps, Cara intends to keep her past a secret. But the one thing she didn’t account for were the students of Hope Hall.

When I think random boarding school in the Alps, there’
Anita
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this ARC from Netgally, which I am thankfull for.

In this book we meet Cara a 17 year old girl who lost her best friend in an accident. She is sent to a boarding school called Hope in Switzerland by her mother to make a fresh start. At Hope Cara meets new people but because of her trauma she has trouble letting them into her life.
This book deals with grief, guilt, friendship and family. I loved the way the friendships were build and how Cara developed herself after her trauma. The book wa
Sophie Cameron
A poignant story of grief and guilt, hope and healing, set against the backdrop of a Swiss boarding school. Beautifully written and very touching.
megan lucy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘the year after you’ hit so many nails on the head. The book was written beautifully and I was hooked by the first chapter and in love by the second.

* trigger warning* mentions of suicide, mental health and anxiety.

“ People always hurt the people they care about... That’s why it hurts so much “

A whirlwind story of grief, honesty, friendship and acceptance.

The book is narrated by Cara and we follow her on an emotional journey of self acceptance, new friendship and grief. Cara has been sent to a
Nicole Sweeney
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles.

The Year After You follows a young girl named Cara who is sent to a boarding school in the remote Swiss Alps. On New Years Eve she survived a fatal accident, but her best friend Georgina did not. Consumed by grief, she wants nothing more than to complete the school year and move on, nothing is going to bring down the walls she has built around herself. But as she is drawn into life at Hope Hall, she begins to hope that maybe, things will get
Izzy
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
This YA novel takes place in a Swiss boarding school in the mountains of the Alps. The setting is wonderful and made me want to travel to a place like that immediately. The Year After You is narrated by Cara, our main protagonist, and we follow her journey during the year after a terrible car accident in which her best friend died. Cara survives the accident but not without scars and finds herself struggling with depression. In hopes of helping her daughter find peace and offering her a clean s ...more
mari
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(I did receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!)

This story is as refreshing and heartwarming as it is devastating.

The storyline focuses on Cara, a teenager who has lived and lost her best friend within one night. We follow her journey from the beginning point of being enrolled to a Swiss boarding school, through all the hardships she faces from the previous year as well as the new ones she is met with.

I cannot begin to express how much emotion this book brought out i
Hâf
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a sweet book, I knew instantly that I was going to enjoy it. To begin with, how beautiful is that cover? If I saw this in a shop, I would not be able to resist picking it up.
In the story, I was very intrigued about Cara's secrets, we knew certain details such as that her friend had died, that Cara had been injured yet survived but nothing much else. The intricacies of that fateful night are slowly revealed throughout the whole novel. The moment you think you understand what happened
Clémence
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling boarding school YA novel all about overcoming trauma and the saving grace of true friendship – a perfect book to snuggle up with on a snowy winter's night.

Nina de Pass's debut YA novel is a fab read - I devoured it over a couple of days, racing to discover more about the secretive characters and their dark pasts, and to find out if, and how, they find redemption.

Cara, the main character, is sent to boarding school in Switzerland as a last resort to overcome the trauma of a car ac
Book Inspector
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The protagonist in this story is Cara, a seventeen-year-old girl from California, who was sent to a boarding school in the Swiss mountains. She has lost her friend in a car accident, and she was the one who was driving. Cara is a very interesting character, her life is full of guilt and grief. This book taught me a very valuable lesson, that different people deal with grief very differently. Some people find it easier and some harder to deal with someone’s death. Cara is very emotionally intrigu ...more
Emma Kiely
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to thank Netgalley for providing me with and arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I cannot put into words how much I loved this book!
When I started this book I didn’t expect to love it as much as I did but I couldn’t put it down until I finished it.
This book took me on an emotional roller coaster and I spent a majority of the book with tears streaming down my face.
Cara is such an amazing and complex character. I just wanted to hug her so badly. Her emotional journey was turbu
Amity Miller
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, favorites
"This time round, despite what will inevitably come after, I will be honest. It's the only hope I have." - Nina De Pass, The Year After You

I requested this book from Net Galley to review, it was one of my very first advance reader copies, the cover art alone peaked my interest. Then I read the synopsis and thought it would be a interesting and easy read.

Before I begin, I'd just like to say that this review contains thoughts and opinions that may spoil the plot. There are topics covered in this s
Katie Hurse
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’m so happy to have discovered this author because she tells an amazing story amazingly well. I think the sense of claustrophobia was created really well, the intrigue and suspense of the mystery building up tension in the background, the weird innocence of new friendships, the mind games. It was a strange read, but a good one.
Megan
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All the emotions!

The emotion ran through me whilst reading 'The year after you', following the ups and downs of Cara. I loved the fragility of Hector, Cara and Ren and their connections created at Hope.
« previous 1 3 next »
Nina de Pass started writing The Year After You, her first novel, while on a creative writing course at the Faber Academy. Nina has an MA in French and Spanish from the University of Edinburgh, and now lives and works in London.
“I make myself a promise: this time round, I will fight like hell. This time round, despite what will inevitably come after, I will be honest.” 2 likes
“There are two types of lies; I know this now, and I knew it then. Yet, somewhere along the line, I chose to lose sight of the difference.” 2 likes