Start by marking “Mycroft and Sherlock: 2 (Mycroft Holmes)” as Want to Read:
Mycroft and Sherlock: 2 (Mycroft Holmes)

Mycroft and Sherlock: 2

(Mycroft Holmes and Sherlock #2)

The new novel by NBA All-Star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, starring brothers Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes.

Published September 10th 2019 by Titan Books (UK) (first published October 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Mycroft and Sherlock, please sign up.
Anna Waterhouse Hi, Diana. Mycroft and Sherlock is the second book of a series. The third book will come out next year (2019). And though there are little tidbits tha…moreHi, Diana. Mycroft and Sherlock is the second book of a series. The third book will come out next year (2019). And though there are little tidbits that refer back to the first book, Kareem and I tried hard to make sure that you could pick it up and read it as a standalone. (However, we wouldn't object if you read Mycroft Holmes too!) Thanks for your interest, and happy reading!(less)
Robin No, you do not need to be familiar with the original series to read this series. However, I do think that knowing the original stories adds to the enj…moreNo, you do not need to be familiar with the original series to read this series. However, I do think that knowing the original stories adds to the enjoyment - there are nods to the original series that are fun to read.(less)

Start your review of Mycroft and Sherlock: 2 (Mycroft Holmes)
Cindy Burnett
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

When I first saw this series, I have to say I was a little unsure what a book about Sherlock Holmes written by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would look like. I have long been a fan of his basketball playing but clearly have not followed him very closely because he has written many books and is well known in the Sherlock world for his love of Sherlock Holmes. With this series, Abdul-Jabbar demonstrates that he is incredibly talented in more than one field because his portrayal of Sherlock, Mycroft
Mahlon
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I’ve been anticipating the publication of this book for about a year and it did not disappoint! Another rip-roaring, page turning, almost literally heart-stopping adventure of Mycroft Holmes and his friend Douglas. Although I found the story underwhelming, it’s the depth of the writing and the characters that will keep readers coming back to this series. I agree with other reviewers that there was a little too much Sherlock for a Mycroft adventure, but I think Sherlockians will enjoy being there ...more
Deb Jones
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As long as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and co-writer Anne Waterhouse continue to write books in the Holmes' series, I will be ready and waiting to read them. I thoroughly enjoyed "Mycroft Holmes," the pair's first book; their second offering is no less dynamic.

Although the timeline of the second book, "Mycroft and Sherlock" follows that of "Mycroft Holmes," these books could just as easily be read as stand-alones for the adventures in each of them. Reading them in sequence adds to the understanding of
Hart_D
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first of these and had mixed feelings about it, but because I really liked the main characters, Mycroft and Cyrus, I decided to give the second one a try. I'm glad I did, because I enjoyed this book much more than the first. I would rate my enjoyment level at 5/5, but I do see some flaws in the plot's structure, so it's 4/5.

Sherlock joins Mycroft and Cyrus as a major character. He's only 18, and quite an angsty teenager, but I found him mostly endearing and very in-character for cano
Samantha B
Jun 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so the plot was awesome, the setting was perfect, I loved Mycroft and Douglas, the mystery worked quite well, and they mentioned Pimlico. *happy dance*

But really, I am ONLY here for Sherlock. I NEED TO PROTECT HIM. HE IS MY BOI AND HE NEEDS HUGS AND PEOPLE TO RESCUE HIM FROM DANGEROUS SITUATIONS. (The sheer amount of protective instincts this boy inspired--especially in the last half of the book--was astounding.)

Four stars!
Rachel
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best Sherlock Holmes pastiche I've read in a long time. I'm kinda picky about my Sherlock Holmes portrayals (okay, VERY picky about them), but this one pleased me so much! It focuses more on Mycroft than Sherlock and is definitely the most relatable portrayal I've seen of the elder Holmes brother in basically forever.

I was a little worried about Sherlock himself at first because he's very young here, still a university student, and I thought at first he had too much, um... emot
Melissa
Was not as impressed with this one as the first. If felt like too many characters who were not as fully developed as I would have liked. Definitely dragged for me.

"Now a force to be reckoned with in the War Office, the young Mycroft Holmes is growing his network of contacts and influence, although not always in a manner that pleases his closest friend, Cyrus Douglas. A Trinidadian of African descent, Douglas has opened a home for orphaned children, while still running his successful import busin
We Are All Mad Here
Three and a half stars for this one - oh, what the heck. I'm changing it to four. I liked it much better than the first, despite some really implausible detecting on the part of Sherlock, and the fact that I got lost more than once among the cast of side characters.

I loved that this felt more accurate as a prequel to the later lives of Mycroft and Sherlock. Whereas Mycroft Holmes felt too far off the actual ACD characters, this one gave pleasant (well, to me) hints of what they will become.

And
Lisa K
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More page-turning adventures of Mycroft and Cyrus. This time with more Sherlock and Huan! Plus drugs.
Rory
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed--doubly so, because I love Abdul-Jabbar and I love those rascally Holmes bros. But both the writing and the story were inelegant and boring.
Amatullah
First off, the Goodreads summary is kinda way off. Or not. Well, most of it is true, but no one goes to China, that's for sure.
Anyways. I've outgrown middle grade long ago, finding good YA requires picking through too many cringy fantasies and angsty books, and adult--well, let's just say I too often bump into a pot of stuff I'd rather not read. Which is why a book like this one--a clean, interesting adult fiction-- is GOLD to me.
The plot was fascinating. The writing...well, I can't quite say. I
Timothy
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was a author of fiction. I guess he has written a few of these. This is my first. Well paced and interesting. I’ve enjoyed the book. A good addition to the Sherlock Holmes tradition.
Christian
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three-and-a-half but closer to four stars. Didn't realize this was the second in a series, but I wasn't confused or anything while reading it. Really, the biggest reason I picked up the book was because I saw Kareem the Dream's name on the cover and remembered that he was recently hired as a staff writer on the new season of my all-time favorite show, Veronica Mars. So glad I picked it up because Kareem and Ms. Waterhouse can write! This book moves at breakneck speed and really does an incredibl ...more
Rahni
I may be the only person around who watched basketball in the early 90's who didn't know that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was a massive Sherlock Holmes fan. Which makes my selection of reading this book (and starting on book #2 of a series) a strange leap of faith.

The leap was rewarded! I had a delightful time running around with Mycroft, Sherlock, Douglas, Juan, and the rest. Perhaps now I should read book #1?
NOT a christie Fan !
I'm not a die-hard Sherlock fan, but the A.C. Doyle series is my GO-TO for a good mystery.

Meandering around for new mystery to read, I stumbled upon Mycroft and Sherlock by none other than Kareem Abdul Jabar on Audible and purchased it for listening. I'm listening to the last chapters as I write this.

Realizing that a bad story cannot be redeemed by the best actor around, this story was enjoyed BOTH for the tale, itself, as well as for the actor who gave distinct vocal personalities for all t
Lauren Stoolfire
Mycroft and Sherlock by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anna Waterhouse is an excellent read for fans of the classic detective. It's a great continuation of the series and it's nice to see their young Sherlock get a bit of a bigger role this time around whereas book one primarily focused on Mycroft. Here we get to see Sherlock before he becomes the world famous police consultant. The coolest cameo in this installment is Joseph Bell, aka the real life surgeon who inspired Sherlock Holmes. This could be r ...more
Jenna
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-group-books
As a reader of mysteries, i do like Sherlock. But i really prefer the stories in visual format (ie. plays, tv, movies). Truthfully, i found the Doyle books a bit dull.

But since this was for my book group & i do like books that put a different spin on common/popular characters.
I liked the spin of it being a young Sherlock & the early days of Mycroft's career in govt. As well as an attempt at explaining how someone soooo smart could become a drug addict.

That aside, this just wasn't for me.
it was
Angela Becerra Vidergar
This second installation did not disappoint. The historical context of normalized, legal use of opium and derivatives was terrifyingly quotidian. I am really loving the "prequel" feel of getting to know the Holmes brothers in their early days, including their subtle personality differences and Sherlock as an infuriating teenager. KAJ and Waterhouse also do a beautiful job of portraying the people of various ethnicities in these stories in nuanced, deeply humanizing ways while showing the histori ...more
Joan
This was an addition to his series on Mycroft Holmes. I enjoyed it but lost a couple of the twists and turns. It fits right in to the time period and the cultures mentioned (English, of course, but also Chinese) and did a good job. Some was a bit predictable, based on having read the Canon. Honestly, both Mycroft and Sherlock come off as self centered arrogant rather uncaring men. Sherlock is a teen at the time, so has some excuse but Mycroft needs some lessons in kindness as well, as even his b ...more
Andrea Johnson
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd of Jabbar’s books about Mycroft & Sherlock Holmes is well-written and entertaining. He does a good job of bringing the characters to life and letting the readers get to know them better. Thoroughly enjoyable read.
Ryan Mishap
A fairly enjoyable mystery is bogged down by trying too hard: too many convoluted sentences attempting to replicate Victorian speech, too many info details trying too hard to replicate the time and place, and so forth.

I do enjoy the characterizations of Mycroft and Sherlock in this series, but Douglas was seriously under-utilized here.
Llyr Heller-Humphreys
Although it took me a long time to read, it was a very good book and looking at the ending, I certainly hope there's a third book on the way. ...more
Marjorie Hogan
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who has read and loved anything to do with Sherlock Holmes for decades, I enjoyed this book. Certainly not Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but Mr.Abdul-Jabber is a gifted writer and knows how to craft a plot and create a character!
Nathan Brant
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't say enough good things about this series. The plot is worth of - and perhaps surpassing - Doyle. The characters are delightful. I can't wait to see another tale of the Brothers Holmes. Well done Mr. Abdul-Jabbar. ...more
Jerry Yoakum
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great job of portraying a young Sherlock and explaining why Mycroft didn't go on to more adventures like he had in the first Mycroft book. ...more
Jen
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are so good!
Jeanie
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mycroft and Sherlock back again, with new and intriguing mysteries to solve.
Juli
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Equally as exciting and fun, glad I grabbed the series all at once!
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the series and equally as enjoyable as the first.

Mycroft continues to take the MC role here, and of course, Sherlock continues to grow into some of his more annoying characteristics. Douglas and Huan are back in this installment as well.

There's the murders of several Oriental gentlemen, followed in the same gruesome manner, of some white men. Are these murders connected, since the method was the same? And what about the growing opium addictions growing among all the classes of citizens?

T
Janet
Abdul-Jabbar offers a convincing reason behind a particular quirk of the original (that is, Conan Doyle’s) Mycroft--his extreme reluctance to physically exert himself. Although written many decades apart, Abdul-Jabbar’s Mycroft tends to merge with Conan Doyle’s in my mind.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Riviera Gold (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #16)
  • Murder Comes to Call (Beryl & Edwina Mystery #4)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Voice of Treason
  • The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols: Adapted from the Journals of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • The Devil’s Due (Sherlock Holmes Adventure #3)
  • The Disappearance of Alistair Ainsworth (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries, #3)
  • Murder on Cold Street (Lady Sherlock, #5)
  • The Finality Problem (Warlock Holmes #5)
  • Skint Idjit (The Reluctant Adventures of Fletcher Connolly on the Interstellar Railroad, #1)
  • Inherit the Shoes
  • Moonflower Murders (Susan Ryeland #2)
  • In League with Sherlock Holmes (Stories Inspired by the Sherlock Holmes Canon #5)
  • The Skeleton in the Closet
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • Murder by Other Means (The Dispatcher, #2)
  • A Study in Sherlock (Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon, #1)
  • Mycroft Holmes and the Adventure of the Desert Wind (Mycroft Holmes, #1)
  • The Real Sherlock
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr. on April 16, 1947 in New York City, New York, United States) is an American former professional basketball player and current assistant coach. Typically referred to as Lew Alcindor in his younger days, he changed his name when he converted to Islam.

Mycroft Holmes and Sherlock (3 books)
  • Mycroft Holmes (Mycroft Holmes and Sherlock, #1)
  • The Empty Birdcage (Mycroft Holmes and Sherlock, #3)