Start by marking “The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek” as Want to Read:
The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek

The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek

3.70  ·  Rating details ·  9,699 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews
From the authors of the #1 New York Times bestseller Rhett & Link's Book of Mythicality and creators of Good Mythical Morning, a thrilling and darkly funny novel about two best friends fighting the sinister forces at the heart of their Southern town.

It’s 1992 in Bleak Creek, North Carolina—a sleepy little place with all the trappings of an ordinary Southern town: two Bapti
Published October 29th 2019 by Crown
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek, please sign up.
Connor Law There isn't any sexual content in it that I can remember. If your son isn't scared by anything in Stranger Things, I doubt anything in here would be t…moreThere isn't any sexual content in it that I can remember. If your son isn't scared by anything in Stranger Things, I doubt anything in here would be too intense as well, although they do drop a few F-bombs if that's a make or break point for you.(less)
Becky B Most publishers will give out advanced reader copies (ARC) to book sellers, librarians, and book bloggers to get feedback on it before it is published…moreMost publishers will give out advanced reader copies (ARC) to book sellers, librarians, and book bloggers to get feedback on it before it is published. I'm a librarian and I currently am reading several books that won't be released to the public until September or October. Often the publishers ask us not to publish a full review till closer to the publication date, so when I read an ARC, I put my rating right away but I don't post my review until it is within the publisher's preferences (usually 1 month to 2 weeks away from publication date).(less)

·  9,699 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews

Start your review of The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek
Miranda Reads
description
I have read my way through 315 books to bring you my Top 10 Books of the Year (video) .

Now you know that this one made the cut, check out my video review to see the others!
description

"I'm not used to people thinking I'm a bad kid. It's kind of exhilarating."
"...I feel like I'm being judged. And punished with tomatoes."
Rex McClendon and Leif Nelson are best friends (along with Alicia Boykins) in their small town of Bleak Creek.

The three of them literally do everything together
Seth
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Will it Novel?

Liz
Jan 11, 2020 rated it did not like it

How do you know you’re old and out of touch? When you read other GR reviews and everyone talks about how they love the two authors and you have no clue who they are.

Anyway, this book had a pretty high GR rating, so I decided to take a chance. The book started off slow. It jumped around a lot. The characters never seemed real, despite being based on the authors’ youth. It’s meant to be darkly comic. I didn’t see it.

I listened to this book. I wasn’t enthralled by the narrator which didn’t help.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Crown for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

okay... so....

I DNF-ed this book way back in October of 2019 (I don't remember when... Oops) but I kept telling myself I'd finish it but after trying multiple times and even getting the audio from Audible, I'm just not feeling this.

And so, I'll just share what worked and what didn't. Please note, this is from the perspective of someone who didn't finish the book and doesn't know how it ended.

What worked:

➵ Creepy, eerie
☠Kayla☠
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is very hard for me to rate, on one hand I love Rhett and Link, they're so talented and funny and I really enjoy their content on there youtube channels. But on the other? The book was ok. I loved the story line! It was very interesting and had me fully engaged the whole time wanting to find out more and more. Sadly though the writing style was a bit of an all over the place mess. There were times I felt like I was reading a book specifically for a very young child and times it felt li ...more
Susanne  Strong
May 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

A Young Adult Novel that ‘reads’ like a Middle Grade book.

Rex and Leif are best friends living in Bleak Creek. Freshmen in High School, the two live in fear of a reformatory school called “The Whitewood School.” They should after all, the two pulled a huge prank with their other best friend Alicia and she got sent there. Now the two have to pull out all the stops to try and get her back.

Unfortunately, this book felt a tad bit too young for a YA Novel. The voices, the dialog, everything.
Dennis
I see a lot of positive reviews for this title, so I am sure my opinion is unpopular and rare, but I just did not enjoy The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek . I felt like the narrative was kind of sporadically all over the place, and the story was kind of been there, done that. I actually don't see how this book could be ranked in the nominees for 2019 best horror, because I wasn't scared once. I guess you can label it as a horror novel, but it's better suited as a young adult novel as the dialogue ...more
Patricia
Once I began reading THE LOST CAUSES OF BLEAK CREEK, I didn't want to put it down. What seems like a normal southern town is in fact anything but! Rex, Leif and Alison are three best friends who are all 14 years old when Alison is sent to the local reform school. This is a school where several students have mysteriously died over the last decade. Rex and Leif are determined to rescue their friend when everything goes arie. Get ready for a great story with a surprise ending. I highly recommend!
Mike
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this one a lot, but I merely liked it. GMM is great, however I felt that the authorial insertion actually detracted from what at it's core is an interesting "kids on bikes (and scooter)" story. Hardcore, GMM fans will likely enjoy it
Jessica Sturm
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted very much to love this book but there are some inherent problems. I enjoyed moments for sure; I’d find myself swept up for a chapter only to be bogged back down into a sense of malaise and slow reactions. When something intense happens to a character in peril it’s followed immediately by a chapter that talks about pop culture references that have no real bearing or some “inside joke/real life thing” that Rhett and Link wanted to share but it felt like that was all. The book suffers main ...more
Katie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
2/5 stars

"Soon the lights at the Whitewood School gate came into view, the only indication that there was anything behind the pine trees lining the road. On the rare occasion when Leif had passed by the school, secluded as it was on the far side of town, he'd been unsettled with how much the utilitarian chain-link fence seemed much more like the gateway to a prison than to an educational institution."

**SPOILERS AHEAD**

Honestly, it hurts me to have to rate this book so low. I am a big fan of Rhet
Denise
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a huge R&L fan, I was ecstatic to receive an advance copy of this book. The story of Rex, Leif, and Alicia had me staying up late with "one more chapter." I love the easy use of humor in the writing, and I had a huge wave of nostalgia with the reference to the Hardee's California raisins as my late grandmother had every one lined up on her fireplace mantel. That definitely caused a teary smile.

What keeps me from giving a 5 star rating is the supernatural turn in the story. While it held my a
Denise Mullins
Nov 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
If this had been marketed as YA fiction, there would be no problem. But as it is not, it struck me as a poorly executed melding of "Holes" and "Hoot" with a totally incongrous sprinkling of Stephen King. Although tweens might find this a fun read, the attempts at humor consistently fell flat for me with characterizations that were very one-dimensional and stereotypical. Very disappointing with a wonky ending that hints at-heaven forbid- a sequel.
Elizabeth
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really good debut for these first time novelists! I tore through this book over two days - it's got a lot of deep cut call backs for long time mythical beasts, but it can be enjoyed by everyone!
The Nerd Daily
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Marla Warren

I have always said that I love debut novels, but it isn’t often that I get to read a debut novel that is this well-crafted, this engrossing, and this much fun. With a truly unique balance of humour and horror, McLaughlin and Neal have established a world that is instantly both familiar and fascinating.

The story is set in 1992, in the small North Carolina town of Bleak Creek, and with this setting comes all the 90’s nostalgia you coul
kenzie
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ok first of all i’d like to formally apologize for saying anything mean about this cover because once i held it i absolutely fell in love. and second, this is the first fictional story i’ve ever read from randl, though i don’t think there’s many more to read yet, and i was so emotional by the time i got to the end i was crying at the acknowledgements ahahahahaha i would go from laughing because someone said scooter leg to crying because of their reactions to something, anyway i’m just so proud a ...more
Kristen Beverly
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had so much fun reading this book. If you’re looking for a serious book, keep right on looking. If you just want to have fun, stop right here! It’s also well written and an intriguing story!
Emilia
Dec 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I usually don’t write reviews, but with the experience I’ve had reading this and the relentless praise this book has been getting I feel the need to speak my mind. (spoilers ahead, obviously)

First of all, the writing. I saw a reviewer say that Rhett and Link write like they have been authors their entire lives, which is not true and claiming so is absolutely ridiculous. There are plenty of authors who make their debute with a well written novel, but Rhett and Link are not to be compared to any o
Indrė
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was really easy, fun and enjoyable read, and if it wasn't for any other outside reasons, I would have finished it ages ago. Like seriously, so much fun!
I love my internet das, Rhett and Link, so much; and their alter egos, Rex and Leif, were a mirror image of themselves. Reading the book, knowing them, the places they talk about (they have mini-documentary made about it) and people (a very nice tribute to their deceased real-life friend) is half the entertainment. And the story itself, well
Aristotle
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy Creek just in time for Halloween

A reform school is not what it seems. What secret is hidden beneath a natural spring on the grounds of the school? A secret the townsfolk of Bleak Creek are willing to kill for.

I didn't know who Rhett and Link were before receiving this book. I'm not a big fan of watching YouTube. So when i heard they were internet stars i was doubtful. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this story was. Told mostly through the eyes of a trio of 14-year-olds this was a w
Brittani Allen
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Rhett and link so much! This book was just as hilarious as I would’ve expected. That being said, I wasn’t really sure what this book was supposed to be. The content was pretty dark but the tone was super light.. I also couldn’t tell who this book was meant for. It would seem for an older audience sometimes and a really young audience other times. I will listen to any book Rhett and link write though!
Luwanda Dunfee
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book about friendships and facing horrors together. It had a surprising twist that makes it worth the time.
Beth
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

This was super entertaining and fun to read. I loved the fact it was set in the early 90s, and had a bit of a Fear Street (R.L. Stine) vibe!
Linda McCutcheon
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is so much I love about this book. First it is well written. It grabbed me with the first sentence and shocked me with the last sentence. I was fully invested in every character including the ones that were minor. The authors brought the people, the town and the decade it takes place in to life.

The authors have been best friends since third grade and it shows in the two protagonists, Rex and Leif, who are best friends since forever and are entering freshman year of high school in the smal
Justin Brendel
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! A fun mystery book that read a lot like Stranger Things, 90's edition. Pop culture references were abundant, the characters were likable, and barbeque! Leif and Rex sure felt like name nods to Link and Rhett. Great story from the guys at Good Mythical Morning!
J.S.
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-teen-ya
“I feel like I’m being judged. And punished with tomatoes.”
“Just take the tomatoes off.”
“But they’ll contaminate whatever they touch.”
“With what?”
“Tomato…ness.”

Rex and Leif are making a movie, PolterDog, and trying to finish in time to submit it to the Raleigh NC Film Festival. The Second Baptist Church of Bleak Creek fundraiser to replace the organ's copper pipes (which were stolen) provides the perfect opportunity, as well as a crowd of unwitting extras. But when their filming goes horribl
Michelle
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
this cover is so pleasing to my eyes and i cannot even explain why because it's so, like, NOT VERY AESTHETIC. i digress.

other than that, this felt like as if spielberg directed a cure for wellness, which would have made for a better movie, but it also wouldn't have worked.

about the same way that this book doesn't work. i'm not one to criticize it too much when someone fails to show and not tell but tells instead, which this book does a lot, so that's not my main problem. my main problem is that
Rachel
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am very impressed with what Rhett and Link created! It was very engaging and entertaining, I read it practically in one sitting! While there may have been a few shortcomings or weak spots, I overall enjoyed the book and wouldn't mind a sequel. And while there were definitely opportunities for things to fall flat or feel goofy, they actually worked very well. Some language warning, but recommended for a fun, quick read.
Tessa Kikkert
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really, really, really like this book, and I definitely didn't expect that to happen after reading "wind-up bird chronicle". I'm a huge fan of the authors,so I'd gotten the signed edition as a collector's item,but I wasn't planning on liking it this much, for it being a ya book.

While it does start off rather slow and tedious, it picks up momentum at around the 60 page mark and it just keeps going from there. Normally, every book has a portion somewhere right before the final that could be deem
Kansas
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a hardcore Mythical Beast, I wanted to love this book. After preordering it months ago, the closer we came to the release date, the more anxious I became. I was so afraid this book would not live up to my expectations. THANK YOU RHETT AND LINK FOR ALWAYS BEING MYTHICAL!

This book was absolutely incredible. The world building was on point, the characters were fully fleshed out and relatable, and the storyline was fresh and original. It was the perfect mix of funny, creepy, and WHAT THE CRAP!ne
Madison County NC...: Cursed spring, "rowdy" kids.....boring book. 1 3 Aug 17, 2020 09:09PM

• Quantum Roots (Quantum Roots, #1)
  • Secret Squirrels (Bob and Nikki #9)
  • Time Is Irreverent
  • Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000
  • Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits (Zoey Ashe, #1)
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
  • Snow Crash
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • Severance
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Worm Holes (Quantum Roots, #2)
  • The Deep
  • Full Disclosure
  • Missing Wings: Chronicles of the Aranysargas (Aranysargas, #1)
  • The Memory Thief
  • Brainwalker
Rhett McLaughlin and Link Neal, raised in North Carolina and best friends since the first grade, are a comedy duo known for creating the Internet’s most-watched daily talk show, Good Mythical Morning; their award-winning weekly podcast Ear Biscuits; and the instant #1 New York Times bestseller Rhett & Link’s Book of Mythicality. They share an office at Mythical Entertainment, the company they cofo ...more

Articles featuring this book

“It's easier than ever for young people to be lured off the straight and narrow by any number of worldly temptations. But once they go astray, we can't give up on them. The Whitewood School knows no lost causes.” 1 likes
“Care Bear Stare” 0 likes