Start by marking “Death Wish (Reaper Reborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death Wish (Reaper Reborn, #1)

Death Wish

(Reaper Reborn #1)

Life’s a b*tch—but what comes after isn’t much better.

Jade Blackwell, a paranormal reaper, helps supernaturals cross over after death. Her job comes with lots of rules—but not following them is kind of her thing…until it ends up involving her in something much deadlier than she ever imagined.

With the protective veil fading away, demons are crossing realms and impregnating
Published May 17th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Death Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Wish

Start your review of Death Wish (Reaper Reborn, #1)
Bookgyrl
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jade is a reaper in the afterlife; she knows nothing of her former life after a mindwipe and for a year has been helping people to cross over. After being reprimanded for not following the rules she gets into trouble again when one of her 'victims', Cole Masters, is not even close to death and can even see her. After that things escalate, her best friend is in grave danger and she seems to have strange powers.

The story has a very nice pace to it. I read it in a couple of hours and it kept my att
Annabelle
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reapers!!

I absolutely loved this story! It is not like any other reaper books that I have read! Jade is awesome! I am still trying to figure out what her powers mean and what exactly she is. And Cole, I am.still trying to figure him out! I can't wait to read the next book and hopefully get my questions answered.. Definitely a must read!
BookNerdMommy
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Need an out of this world escape? Well this one holds several realms to keep you entertained. I quite enjoyed this first book to the series and my curiosity is up for more!
Emily
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This isn’t your average reaper book. Jade has been a reaper for a year now, helping people cross over. But she can’t help but break the rules. This gets her into a rough spot and she’s forced to work with Cole Masters, a demon halfling, to save her friend. The supernatural world is in danger. This book is fast paced and easy to read. I really liked Jade and I’m curious to see what will happen with Cole!

Bri
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldnt stop reading this book. It was action packed. I just loved the characters. The life adventure of Jade. The author did an awesome job bringing the characters to life.

Daisy Sauceda
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, this book was not what I expected. It was so much better!! So we have action, mystery, betrayal and tragedy. The story starts slow but it builds and keeps you on the edge of your seat to see what will happen. You meet Jade Blackwell who is a reaper, yeah but not your typical grim reaper. Just a spirit who helps the decease cross over. She has been doing it a while and still is having issues doing her job. Then one day something goes wrong! She meets Cole Masters and she gets a feeling that ...more
Nerd Girl Vixen
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy hell this book is a ride from beginning to end!

Reapers and demons, oh my! I totally loved the world building the author did with this story. She created worlds within worlds and didn’t miss a beat. It made me want to visit! I love how mythology and other tales were woven into the story. The characters were fun and unique. Yes, even the bad ones. If you follow my reviews, you know I love me some villains. Jade is pretty awesome! I love her personality and she totally kicks major butt. It’s
muts
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice story

This story is more of a fairytale than a romance book.
More about friendship and helping to save friends in a world of demons.
Not alot of steam, love or romance going on, but is still a good story that can
Keep your attention. And keeps me wondering what will happen with Cole....
Christine
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Death Wish Reaper Reborn Book 1 by Harper A Brooks is an incredibly lively adventure about a sometimes dead girl, the Angel of Death, a medium and a half-demon fighting his demon half for all he’s worth. Or is he?

Jade Blackwell has been dead about a year. She has no memory of her life before; not even enough to know if Jade Blackwell was her name. They wiped her memory when she died and was detoured from the normal route a soul takes to the after-life, to The Styx Corporation. Yes, that Styx.

Jad
Katy Halsema
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of books with supernatural creatures: vampires, shifters, Angel's, demons, wolves. This book features one I havent seen in many books, a reaper.

Jade is a reaper of paranormal or supernatural beings. She tends to get herself in a lot of trouble without even trying all that much. Trouble just seems to find her.

Cole is a half demon that Jade is supposed to reap his soul but things are amiss and chaos ensues. The chaos will throw them further I to chaos and put the world at risk.

Jad
Natalie Noblett
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great first book in Harper A Brooks series 'Reaper Reborn'. Death wish is written in the first person, which is how my favourite books are written because it makes you connect with the MC and feel part of their life and see everything from their point of view.
I really enjoyed the story and the mystery about who and what Jade really is. This still isn't revealed in this book so I really need and want to continue with this series.
Jade is a reaper. She died and in the afterlife was given the job
Donna
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death Wish (Reaper Reborn 1) is the first book by Harper A. Brooks that I have read. I am so glad that I did. She is an exceptional author (a brilliant storyteller). She has created a unique storyline with really really well-developed characters. I loved Jade Blackwell, MC, who is so real. She is tough and sassy. Jade is a reaper without a past who is responsible to help paranormal being cross over. She is learning her job and as hard as she tries, she screws up a great deal of the time. She is ...more
Evelyn Dotson
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jade is a reaper, albeit one who has trouble performing her job. She is regularly summoned by the Angel of Death for her misfortunes. But now, her trainer’s existence is on the line if she screws up one more time. She ventures to a new job, only to discover Cole is not what he seems. The Angel of Death disappears along with the company she regularly reported too. Also, more demons are coming to earth’s realm. She has gained weird powers, can be visible at times to others, and has not one clue as ...more
J Young
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A deadly touch!
Harper A. Brook has created a fast-paced novel about the supernatural universe above and below the “normal” world. Jade Blackwell is a soul “reaper” for the Styx company. Her job is to release souls from the dying, in other words, kill them and set them on the path to the afterlife but it isn’t a job that she enjoys despite being assured by her mentor that it will get easier eventually.

When a routine reaping assignment goes awry Jade finds herself involved with a half-demon, Co
Kelly
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jade needs a new job. She doesn’t particularly like her job and she has a lot of trouble following the rules. When her latest job goes sideways, her boss is enraged. The next assignment is her last chance. He personally gives her a mission and she’s off.

But the job is Cole and the circumstances are different than she expected and she suddenly finds herself teamed up with Cole to find out what’s going on and how to stop it.

This is a page turning action adventure involving good and evil, angels an
Fleur
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was a great read, I loved how Jade has no idea of her past and even though she shouldn't care she wants to know more. While wanting to know about her past she also has to deal with how bad she is as a Reaper and now after yet another stuff up she has one chance to do it right or Simon her mentor will be Released and that ain't a good thing for a Reaper. Things pretty much go down hill from there for Jade and she is faced with demons, halflings, crazy white light, being alive then dead again ...more
Douglas Williamson
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our heroine is reaper, tasked with helping souls cross over. But when the job goes wrong, it does so in a spectacular fashion leaving her with much bigger issues to deal with.

This is an urban fantasy story with reapers as the focus. The story is very well written and easy to read, with a well detailed world that seems very vivid in my mind's eye. The characters are also well developed with solid and distinct personalities that bring them to life (as it were). The plot is fairly complex and invol
Darcy Smith
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a spectacular story. It is extremely well written and the characters are stunningly beautifully developed. It really is a breathtakingly good story. It does start, to me anyway, a bit slow. But, quickly picks up a few chapters into it. Once the story picks up there is a ton of action, suspense, drama, and there is a mystery included in it. Well actually, there are a couple of mysteries in it. As you are reading you are drawn into the characters and their lives. You feel like you are livi ...more
Penny
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the first book I have read by this author, and I will definitely read more as I haven’t been as excited by a book as I was with this one for a while. It didn’t take long before I was drawn into the book for many reasons including Jade, the main character, who is very interesting: stubborn, fun, and full of life…for a reaper! The plot is unique and full of action, and the book is very well written. I really think you need to give this one a try if you like urban fantasy; I am keepin ...more
Maria Reynoso
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of Death Wish from Ms. Brooks, and this is my honest review. I have to say that I did now know what to expect. I have never read anything from Ms. Brooks, and I love finding new authors. Death Wish is extremely well-written. Jade is a reaper who helps non-humans pass in the afterlife. When her last assignment goes awry, Jade and her new friends must work together to fight the demons trying to enter and rule Earth as well as try and find a cure to absolve Cole's demon half from ...more
Stella
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harper A. Brooks has delivered a fantastic story in what looks to be a promising new series featuring a vivid, interesting, snarky and stubborn main character in Jade Blackwell, whose job as a reaper is to help paranormals cross over. Then there is Cole Masters, hot and sexy, and full of secrets that have to be discovered.
The book is very well written with a unique plot and storyline. It has Grim Reapers, Angels, Demons, Witches and so much more.
Fun and easy to read, it is action packed, excitin
Nickole
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rcvd an advanced reader copy from the author for giving my two cents. We meet Jade, reaper of supernatural souls, who doesn't remember who she was before she died and has a medium on earth who is her only friend. As far as reaping goes, she doesn't like seeing people die...her emotions and heart are too big for it. Her boss Azreal, the Angel of Death has given her a new assignment and upon arrival Jade finds her assignment, a demon, is not on deaths Door and he can see her. Things are afoot on e ...more
Mary Brannian
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jade Blackwell is a reaper; her job? To help paranormal beings cross over. Does she like it? Not particularly, but she tries… and tries… and tries… until she screws up once too often and upsets the big boss so much he threatens to terminate her mentor. Jade is desperate to prove herself, and promises to do better… that is, until she meets Cole Masters…. full of hidden agendas, missing in actions and unexpected twists and turns, this book will keep you guessing!

Wow! This is one action packed thri
Heather Bane
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading Death Wish. I loved Jade!! She wasn’t like your average female characters. She’s tough, not calf centered and far from whiny like most other female book characters. Cole I had mixed emotions about. Sometimes I liked him a and others I irritated with him. But what do you expect from a half demon. But the book was very well written and keep me hooked the entire time. There was plenty going on throughout the book. I even found myself getting emotional. I had a hard time put ...more
Tasha
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the series and I must admit, it took me a bit to get into it. But once that happened, wow! The author really took me on a thrilling ride.

The main character is strong and surrounded by mystery. In this book, part of the mysteries around her get disclosed, but can't wait to read more. Loved the demons and ghosts. This is not a hot read, though some scenes naturally happen. Wish she would do a bit more with Sean, but think, or hope he will be more active in the next book.
Angie
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing book. I didn’t know what to expect from this new to me author. But her story blew my mind. Exciting, addictive and action packed.
Jade is brought into her new life as a reaper with not much to go on. Learning as she goes, her latest assignment tests everything she’s learnt in the past year.
This story follows Jade and her friends, both supernatural and human as they fight the demons from hell. There is some romance and hot scenes that totally spice up this novel.
I really enj
Anna
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow ... just wow! From the very opening scene through the last pages of the book I was intrigued and NEEDING more. Jade is a fantastic, kick butt heroine, and my love of her grows as the book continues. The main characters are epic and flawed and you love them any way, while the secondary characters add a dimension that is rare to find in novels. The world Harper A. Brooks weaves is incredible and I can't wait to keep reading! If you need a fun, fast paced adventure into the paranormal and fanta ...more
Frances Satterfield
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a new and gripping read for me. The world building was amazing, it is original and I found this very hard to put down. The relationships between Jade & Kay, Jade & Cole, and the rest of the entertaining characters is great. The most important thing for me was I Love It! I am anxiously waiting for the next book. I received an ARC and feel very lucky that I did. I am leaving this Honest review because I choose too. I highly recommend this book. Happy Reading! ...more
Sarah Coleman
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a dark story with romance. This had all the things I enjoy in a book when I want something quick to read in between things that I am doing. Something I can get invested in while also being able to put it down to work or sleep. This was very well-written and had very developed characters with backstory and drive.

A_MOTUS
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A heroine in search of herself that seems to always find herself in the middle of troubles. As if she was Trouble...
I quickly got attached to the characters, even the bad ones. And I found the world building insanely easy to follow despite all the information that were given. I suppose the fact Jade ask the same questions we do help a lot. The story was original, intriguing and fast paced with good twists and a good number of pivots that make the reader wants to follow in book two.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Demon Born (Hellfire Academy Book 1)
  • Court of Command (Age of Angels, #1)
  • Reaper's Blood (The Grimm Brotherhood, #1)
  • Meat
  • The Halfblood's Hoard (Halfblood Legacy, #1)
  • His Human Surrogate (Monsters Love Curvy Girls #2)
  • Stolen and Seduced: A Limited Edition Collection of Alien Abduction Romances
  • Bloodshed Academy: Year One (Bloodshed Academy, #1)
  • Her Kind of Magic (Academy of the Supernatural #1)
  • Prince Poison (Gods and Monsters, #1)
  • Getting Wilde (Immortal Vegas, #1)
  • Shadow of the Ghoul (Halfblood Legacy, #2)
  • City of the Lost (Chronicles of Arcana #2)
  • I Am the Wild (The Night Firm #1)
  • Trial of Thorns (Wicked Fae, #1)
  • To Carve a Fae Heart (The Fair Isle Trilogy, #1)
  • Wicked Souls
  • The Road to Witches (Alice LeBlanc #1)
Harper A. Brooks lives in a small town on the New Jersey shore. Even though classic authors have always filled her bookshelves, she finds her writing muse drawn to the dark, magical, and romantic. But when she isn't creating entire worlds with sexy shifters or legendary love stories, you can find her either with a good cup of coffee in hand or at home snuggling with her furry, four-legged son, Sam ...more

Reaper Reborn (6 books)
  • Death Trap (Reaper Reborn, #2)
  • Death Match (Reaper Reborn, #3)
  • Death Deals (Reaper Reborn #4)
  • Death Sentence (Reaper Reborn, #5)
  • Till Death (Reaper Reborn, #6)