Start by marking “Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers #1)” as Want to Read:
Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers #1)

Crown of Feathers

(Crown of Feathers #1)

I had a sister, once…

In a world ruled by fierce warrior queens, a grand empire was built upon the backs of Phoenix Riders—legendary heroes who soared through the sky on wings of fire—until a war between two sisters ripped it all apart.

I promised her the throne would not come between us.

Sixteen years later, Veronyka is a war orphan who dreams of becoming a Phoenix Rider fro
Hardcover, Exclusive Owlcrate edition, 486 pages
Published (first published February 12th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Feathers, please sign up.
Courts & Castles Books There is a hint of romance between multiple characters, LGBT and not, but nothing ever really developed between any of them (yet!)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The February Owlcrate book! Click on the link below to see the goods. I have two favorites in the bunch! =)

THE GOODIES
Elise (TheBookishActress)
girls dressing as boys and riding phoenixes. that's what i do all the time?
Sara
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crown of Feathers is a YA fantasy centered around 2 sisters in a land once ruled by phoenix riders.

I almost DNF'ed this book at 25%, in fact i did stop and read another book instead before picking it back up!
I was really interested in the concept going in and the first couple of chapters were pretty good but after that the story slowed and started to drag. It is pretty heavy on the description which i'm not the biggest fan of but i am really glad i stuck with this. Around the half way point this
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Can't wait for this!
Connor
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Video Review:

At first, I wasn’t going to do a review, but I think I might film one now. This is interesting because I had some big problems with pacing, but I ended up having a fun time and enjoying the drama despite the first 50-ish pages being a huge info dump. Like, a dump so bad that you turn the AC off in the car when you’re near it. I’ll leave a link to the review and leave a rating when the review goes up!
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Two sisters rip apart an empire through war and to find peace the Phoenix Riders must be buried. 16 years later, Veronyka dreams of becoming a Phoenix Rider with her controlling sister. After a shocking betrayal she sets out alone to follow rumors of the riders and to join them even if it means dressing as a boy. Veronyka is not the only one pursuing rumors, so is the new empire and they mean to wipe out the riders once and for all.

The short re
Mila
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, dropped-series
The digital arc of this book was kindly provided by the publisher via Edelweiss+ website in exchange for an honest review.

What I liked:
- The diversity in this book was great and it felt natural;
- The initial ideas and worldbuilding were fascinating; I'd really like to see more books featuring phoenixes.

What I didn't like:
- The info-dumping was very frequent and interrupted the flow of the story; sometimes pretty much the same things were repeated from different POVs and it got annoying very quic
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

Trigger warning: Mention of death and war. Up till the point I read.

DNF

I received this E-ARC via Simon and Schuster Canada and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Crown of Feathers has been getting a lot of buzz and excitement. When I saw it on Netgalley I requested an arc to see what the buzz was about. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it.

The first few chapters were fairly interesting. There was quite a bit off info dumping but I found it to be useful to understand the world.
raquel
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uncorrected eARC copy received from the publisher via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review

1.5 ★ : good premise, diversity and disability — predictable and just a bunch of info-dumping
«What did the great heroes do when the sun fell from the sky? They leapt onto those wild flames and learned how to fly»

Review in English | Reseña en español (abajo)
Crown of Feathers is the first instalment of a new epic high fantasy se
Melissa
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only one thing to say: the book does start slow, and soon you’ll drown in historical details and characters. It’s really hard to keep up in the beginning, it’s not an easy read. I compared it to Game of Thrones and I stick to this comparison. I kept reading because I did too with the Game of Thrones series and ended up loving it, so I gave Crown of Feathers a chance... And I’m so happy I did, so much was happening, I wasn’t able to stop reading it! With all the action, the info didn’t see ...more
Ails
5 FIERY STARS

”From the ashes I rose, like a phoenix from the pyre.”

Praises from NYT bestselling authors:

"A fierce and incendiary tale of warrior women, sisterhood, and the choices that define us, all set in a soaring new world that readers will fall in love with. I couldn’t put it down."
— Lisa Maxwell, author of the Last Magician series

"The unique and imaginative world of the Phoenix Riders had my rapt attention from the first sentence. Nicki Pau Preto is a bright new talent, and I can't wa
Leah
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hall-of-fame
I was fortunate enough to meet Nicki Pau Preto at the Cassandra Clare signing last weekend in Vancouver (read kind of accidentally ambushed her on the way out of the bathroom). At the time I was halfway through Crown of Feathers and loving it, and I had to tell her that. She was very kind and gracious, so I'm going to say it was a good thing I was only halfway through the book then. Because I'm pretty sure my reaction when I finished this would have scared the crap out of her. THIS WAS AMAZING!! ...more
Lisa
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc
The sort of epic high fantasy that fills up your imagination and heart. Veronyka is a tender soul - I felt for her in her loneliness and betrayal then joy and friendship.

So many elements of this story are done beautifully- Veronyka and Val’s complicated relationship and definitely the magic and mystery behind animage and phoenix.

A must-read!
Helen Power
Synopsis

Veronyka is a war orphan who was raised by her deceased grandmother and her older sister, Val. Veronyka and her sister are "animages", and have the ability to communicate with animals.  This is not uncommon in the world they live in, but ever since the war their kind have been persecuted.  Val and Veronyka want nothing more than to become Phoenix Riders, like the heroes who fought during the war.

After a terrible betrayal, Veronyka flees from her sister and finds a sanctuary for her kind,
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
Ok the cover stopped me dead in my tracks cause there's only one thing I love more than owls & that's a Pheonix! *MAJOR HEART EYES* a world ruled by warrior queens?!?! a story about sisters at odds?!?! JEEEEEEZ! 2019 can't come fast enough!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
6/28/18
Seeing the cover now, my original GIF isn't too far off lol
---
...who ride into battle on the backs of phoenixes...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
OMFG yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Denia  Books & Baubles
Hold on and buckle up guys, this is going to be a long one.

First off, it took me 4 days to read this book. FOUR DAYS. Now you may say, "okay, Denia, what's the big deal with that?" Well, I could've read another two books in the time it took me to read that book. It's not so much its length, it was more its content and I'll talk more about that later, but first let me give you a basic rundown of the book.

So, apparently, the premise of the book doesn't explain the story, according to my boyfrien
Elly
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the good fortune to get my hands on an early version of Crown of Feathers, and I immediately fell in love with Pau Preto's beautiful writing. I loved the characters, especially Veronyka and her complex relationship with her sister Val. Fans of action, romance, magical characters, and deep world building will adore sinking their teeth into this richly imagined world!
Kate
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a slog. The lore was interesting, but it really was "Info Dump: The Book". It could have been great with some editing.
Rae
Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto is a frolicking adventure about a girl who wants nothing more than to become a phoenix rider.

I really enjoyed reading Crown of Feathers! I loved the story, the fierce female lead, and the inclusion of phoenixes. While the pacing was on the slower side, I appreciated the depth this book offered.

Veronyka and her sister Val don't have much in life--they have a roof over their heads, a small amount of food, and a mutual desire to bond with a phoenix. Veronyka ha
Nigel
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy, netgalley, ya
Enjoyable YA fantasy read. Parts of it are very good indeed. The simple writing had me hooked quickly. Probably - as an oldie - 3.5/5 but I'm guessing YAs will rate it higher. Full review nearer publication.
Scrill
Nov 29, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc
Won an arc as a giveaway on Goodreads and couldn’t be more ecstatic!
Brittany Elizabeth
ALL THE FIERY STARS 🔥🌟🔥🌟🔥🌟🔥🌟🔥
I had the pleasure of receiving the ARC of Crown of Feathers, all opinions are my own and are not influenced by being given this opportunity!

How am I supposed to write a review for this magnificent book when I can’t even form proper words right now! Guys, Guys, Guys, buy this book. Request it at your library. Do whatever you have to, but support Nicki however you can! Crown of Feathers is beyond superb and I will fight to my death shouting about how incredible this s
Eden
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-arcs
This series has the potential to break into my favorite fantasy series of all time. There were twists I didn’t expect, characters I instantly loved, a wildly entertaining plot, and fantastic world building. It was a bit of a slow start, but that also may have been because I was reading it on my phone and wasn’t feeling motivated in the beginning. As the world unfolded, I just became more and more sucked in.

Another thing that got the story going was the multiple perspectives. At first, I thought
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I received this book for free from Simon & Schuster in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto is the first in a series set in a world where airborne warriors known as Phoenix Riders were legendary—until that world is ripped apart by two queens. The story is set 16 years after the war when protagonist Veronyka searches for any hints of the Riders she’s heard of in stories and decides to disg
Karen
An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

There was once a grand empire built by the Phoenix Riders - people who soared the skies on phoenixes - until a war ripped everything apart. Sixteen years later, Veronyka is a war orphan who dreams of being a Phoenix Rider. She eventually decides to run away and try joining their ranks, even if it means dressing as a boy.

Honestly, I don't really know where to start with this book. I thought it was a
Clara Bennet
I am deciding to DNF, so no rating.

So. I was really, really excited about this from the time I received the ARC. The cover is gorgeous and the synopsis sounded awesome.
It started really strong, but as it went on I found myself bored. I'm not sure why- things were happening, but I just wasn't interested.
I may come back to it at some point, but it'll be a while seeing as my TBR pile is, well, special.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
So no one told me this is kind of a Mulan retelling--or at least uses the female dressing like male to enter army premise which I am always here for! I thoroughly dislike everything about Val but the ending made me believe I'm supposed to feel for her so...I don't know how the sequel is going to mess with that. The big battle was really well done and the slow burning romances were very well written. I love the animal human bonding so much too!
Fiona Tolley
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a long time to get through because it was really detailed but I ended up loving it so it was worth it. Perfect for fans of Furyborn by Claire Legrand and the Age of Legends series by Kelly Armstrong.
Janani(ஜனனி)
okay, so why no one has ever told me that this book is about a girl who disguises herself as a boy to join a secret group of warriors that rides phoenixes into battle

"a girl who disguises herself as a boy" trope made me turn into a puddle and my k drama heart is soaring over the hills.
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World #1)
  • Eight Will Fall (Eight Will Fall #1)
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • Dark of the West (Glass Alliance, #1)
  • Fall Like Thieves
  • The Nameless Queen
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Bone Grace (Bone Grace, #1)
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
Nicki is a YA fantasy author living just outside Toronto, Canada. After getting a degree in visual arts, a masters in art history, and a diploma in graphic design, Nicki discovered two things: she loves to escape the real world, and she isn’t interested in a regular 9-5 life. Luckily, her chosen career covers both.

Her YA fantasy debut CROWN OF FEATHERS is coming February 12, 2019 from Simon Pulse.

Crown of Feathers (2 books)
  • Untitled (Crown of Feathers #2)
“But that was the nature of life and loss: There was never enough time.” 0 likes
“Where there is will, there is possibility.” 0 likes