Start by marking “The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)” as Want to Read:
The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)

The House of Storms (The Aether Universe #2)

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  258 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
To save her only son from the ravages of consumption, the Greatgrandmistress of the Telegraphers Guild, Alice Meynell, has made a bargain with her former lover-a changeling in the land of Einfell where magic may accomplish what science could not-to do whatever is necessary to cure him.

Once he is healthy again, her son will be torn between his duty to lead the guild and h
Published August 1st 2006 by Ace Trade (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The House of Storms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Storms

Michael Battaglia
Well, this was a pleasant surprise.

I recently read McLeod's "The Light Ages" and was . . . not overly impressed by it. I didn't hate it but I didn't find it as exciting as perhaps I should have. In doing the review for that novel I noticed that he had written a sequel to it and while I normally like reading follow ups from authors to see if their styles change or develop with time, being my response to "The Light Ages" was so tepid I figured I'd never have any reason to see anything else by McLe
Chris
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Chris by: No one
Shelves: could-not-finish
The summary on the back of this book promised much, and the story had a good, strong start. But into part two, it felt clumsy, disjointed and never quite delivered this punch I felt I was promised. I found the whole thing very underwhelming. I wasn't given that intangible small something to make me care about Marion and what happens to her or even feel any kind of emotion for Ralph. The language in which the Chosen Ones were written was a bit convoluted and hard to follow at times and too much d ...more
Michelle
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
The book started out strong but failed to deliver in the end. I just couldn't bring myself to care about the characters. Some of the plot developments were unlikely and felt forced, as though the author had a specific ending in mind and sacrificed believability in the middle of the book to get all the characters in position for the grand finale.

Also, did anyone else notice the egregious grammar errors and typos? I don't blame the author here. That reflects poorly on the editor and publisher. It
OutlineofAsh
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: steampunk, fantasy
This book was recommended to me as belonging to the New Weird genre. Honestly, it seems more steampunk to me, what with its "aether" dependent technology and general Victorian aura. Wriggly definitions aside, it starts off strong and then lags from the halfway point on.

Despite that, I did enjoy the undercurrent of family tragedy that feels almost fairy-tale like at times. Unfortunately, it's never brought to the surface, and we're left with an "epic" tale that drags.
msjoonee
May 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't wrap my head around this. Not quite steampunk, not quite fantasy, not quite gothic but with elements of all three that just did not add up to a whole for me. Still, it got its share of really good reviews. If you're curious, here's a free copy. Go ahead and try it since you have nothing to lose!
Szymon Kobalczyk
nadal nie wie i czym to właściwie było
Marta
Ledwie obróciłam ostatnią stronicę „Domu Burz”, zadałam sobie najistotniejsze pytanie – co tak właściwie sprawia, że uwielbiam pióro MacLeoda? Rzadko zdarza się, bym zachwyciła się równie mocno kolejną książką pisarza, który pierwszym swym dziełem wywarł na mnie tak niesamowite wrażenie. Ian R. MacLeod jest jednym z nielicznych, którym się ta sztuka udała. A jako że za punkt honoru obrałam sobie zrecenzowanie wszystkich pozycji z serii Uczta Wyobraźni, najwyższa pora, by przyjrzeć się bliżej „Do ...more
Simon Mcleish
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in November 2006.

The follow-up to the wonderful The Light Ages, The House of Storms revisits the same world a century or so later.

The plot describes the machinations of Guildsmistress Alice Meynell, whose pursuit of personal power at any cost eventually leads to a terrible civil war between the east and west of England. This is not the confrontation between king and parliament which happened in the real world, which is now remote enough that it has been roman
Evilynn
Ziggi
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Having read "The Light Ages" I'm not sure what I expected from this book, because really the authors penchant for writing books populated by flat characters (that no one cares about) in which somehow (despite rather a lot of things going on, war/social upheaval/etc) nothing happens, had already been established.

The beginning showed promise, and as with the first book there are lots of interesting gemlike ideas scattered throughout and so I endured, expecting it to develop somehow (because surel
Cecilia Rodriguez
Oct 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
The story begins with Alice Meynell's desperate search for a cure for her dying son. For some unknown reason, the plot devolves into a story about a Class(Civil) war.
In the plot the topic of Eugenics is brought up along with a perversion of Darwin's theory.
While MacLeod does draw inspiration from Lewis Carroll's: "Alice's Adventures Through the Looking Glass," his story lacks the creativity of the source material.
Cecilia Rodriguez
The story begins as Alice Meynell desperately searches for a cure for her dying son. For some unknown reason the plot devolves into a story about a Class(Civil) war.
In the plat the topic of Eugenics is brought up with a perversion of Darwin's theory.
While there are elements of Lewis Carroll's: "Alice's Adventures Through the Looking Glass," they are not well done.
Chris
Apr 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
MacLeod is one of the best writers in sci-fi/fantasy today, and his Victorian steam-fantasy work is brilliant. For some reason, however, this follow up to "The Age of Light" didn't grip me in the same way as the first novel.
Catherine Siemann
Appealed to me less than its predecessor, partly because the beginning focused so much on Alice Meynell, who was a stereotypical manipulative social climbing woman, albeit with a more interesting agenda in the very end.
Judah
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I really can't decide what I think of this book. In some ways, it was quite engrossing, in other ways, I find myself going "why did I just spend all this time on this book where nothing really happens?"
S.A.
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a book I thought I would love but only liked. The imagery was lovely, the story vastly intriguing until the writer suddenly took a tea break and never quite recaptured the pace. Despite the slight derailment, the story was enjoyable.

I still recommend the book as a good read.
April
Jan 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Ugh. Know when to leave well enough alone, I say.

mister
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasyilike
the story just gets better. classic, Dickensian, dark fairy/alternate reality, morality, tale. this is a beautiful book.
Shirley
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very satisfying "aethereal" tale from Ian MacLeod
Ahimsa
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting book, but the narrative was too disjointed and the plot overall more underwhelming than it should have been. Not at all bad, but imminently a forgettable story.
Tiva Quinn
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Loved the first book, but this was not a worthy sequel. Nearly everything about it feels forced. The language is still beautiful, but the basic psycho drama is very predictable.
Luna
May 30, 2012
Ondrej Urban
Apr 19, 2018
Michał Jutkiewicz
rated it did not like it
Aug 23, 2012
Ink
Jun 21, 2014
Łukasz
May 17, 2009
  • Human Nature (Pax Britannia, #3)
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Flaming London
  • The Grand Ellipse
  • Fitzpatrick's War
  • A Calculus of Angels (Age of Unreason, #2)
  • The Rise of the Iron Moon (Jackelian, #3)
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • Lightbringers and Rainmakers
  • Captain Nemo
  • Like Clockwork
  • Anti-ice
  • Clockworks and Corsets
Ian R. MacLeod is the acclaimed writer of challenging and innovative speculative and fantastic fiction. His most recent novel, Wake Up and Dream, won the Sidewise Award for Alternate History, while his previous works have won the Arthur C. Clarke Award, the John W. Campbell Memorial Award, and the World Fantasy Award, and have been translated into many languages. His short story, “Snodgrass,” was ...more
More about Ian R. MacLeod

The Aether Universe (2 books)
  • The Light Ages (The Aether Universe, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99