Start by marking “Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)” as Want to Read:
Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)

Criss Cross

(Alex Cross #27)

After witnessing the execution of Michael Edgerton, a man he helped convict of several murders, Alex Cross thought he could finally put the case behind him.

But when a body turns up with a note signed by 'M', Alex knows that the nightmare is far from over.

Accused by Edgerton's family of framing him for murder, Cross fights to clear his name as the case against him builds.

Published November 14th 2019 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about Criss Cross, please sign up.

Start your review of Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)
Paromjit
James Patterson's long running Alex Cross series is one I have dipped in and out of through the years and enjoyed, this is the 27th in the series, set in Washington DC, which takes Cross back to traumatic cases in his past. It opens with Cross at the Greensville Correction Centre, a high security prison in Virginia, to witness the execution of Michael 'Mikey' Edgerton, a upsetting and unsettling experience as he chooses to die on the electric chair. He continues to claim his innocence, his ...more
Matt
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
James Patterson returns with one of his foundations series, exploring the further adventures of Alex Cross in this intense crime thriller. As the novel opens, Dr. Alex Cross is on his way to the execution of a man he helped put away for some gruesome murders. While the man’s family professes this is a frame-up, Cross is sure the evidence tells a different story. After watching the electrocution, Cross and his partner are called to the scene of a crime, one that makes he wonder if he might have ...more
Monnie
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I read an entire book in a single day, but as I think about it, I'm pretty sure the last time it happened it was a book in this long-running series featuring Washington, D.C., Metro Police detective and FBI behavioral specialist Dr. Alex Cross (this is the 27th). It is also my favorite series from the prolific James Patterson, and this one was a bit more special because some of the action takes place in northeastern Ohio not far from my home.

I've enjoyed reading about
Suzanne
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh how I love the Alex Cross series. This one was crazy fast to job into with a great story that takes hold of most of the characters we have come to enjoy and attach ourselves to throughout. Really good installment. Now I need to catch a few hours of sleep since finishing the book kept me up!
Chad
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Alex Cross goes up against a serial killer who has been toying with him for years. He copy cats other killers Alex has arrested and then leaves notes to Alex at the scenes. Patterson does seem to be repeating himself some here. There are several elements that have been used in previous books like (view spoiler). I also didn't ...more
Mandy White
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Alex Cross book is always a good read and it was a great way to end the working week. So much action!
Lou
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Criss Cross is the twenty-seventh instalment to feature psychologist, police force and FBI consultant Dr Alex Cross, and I am amazed at how the series continues to go from strength to strength. The plotline is very much ripped from today's headlines: terrifyingly a convicted killer and serial rapist Mikey Edgerton who was handed the death penalty as punishment has just been executed when a murder using his very modus operandi occurs. Is someone taunting the police to make sure they know they got ...more
Todd Glaeser
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun while I was reading it. Then I saw how Patterson repeated himself. Wasn’t Alex’s house bugged in a recent book? Wasn’t Ali, along with the rest of the family, kidnapped? Hadn’t Alex gone off the deep end, or pretended to? Wasn’t there a look-alike to one one of Alex’s past nemesis?
It’s no wonder I liked it, I liked it the first time I read it.
Natalie
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me to read and review in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

Alex Cross goes through a really gruelling time in this book - from witnessing an execution to having to revisit past cases and events from the resurfacing of someone who has been taunting him for years - the mysterious M.
A fast paced story full of action, this book was fantastic from start to finish.
Everytime I thought I had M figured out the book twisted and I had to rethink the
Kay
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guess I miss out some in Criss Cross since this "M" is from previous book and I have lots to catch up.
The book is still very good and exciting to listen to. Is JP's Alex Cross the only audio book to get sound effects?
The mystery was good, his antagonist is always on the crazy side. I love the Cross family dynamic especially when they are together doing family thing. It makes me want to eat nana mama's cooking too.
Scott
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I’ve been reading James Patterson books for over twenty years. During that time, like most of his fans, my favorite character has always been Alex Cross. He was Patterson’s first detective series that helped lay the foundation for his kingdom of several bestselling series and stand-alone novels. For me, Alex has remained a fierce, intellectual knight of moral character and one of the world’s greatest serial hunters.

I remember reading the Alex’s first adventure, “Along came a Spider” and almost
Skip
M is back and seeking retribution: he wants to make sure that Alex doesn't forget that he is not the hero everyone believes. In fact, the opening scene in the book is the execution of a serial killer, where Alex cut a corner. There are a series of women abducted and decapitated, and an ex-FBI agent Martin Forbes is in prison awaiting trial for murdering/decapitating human traffickers on a yacht. As Alex and John Sampson start to investigate, they catch glimpses of their adversary, who seems to ...more
Adah Udechukwu
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Criss Cross is another James Patterson masterpiece. The novel does not disappoint. It's a great thriller.
Elaine Tomasso
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for an advance copy of Criss Cross, the twenty-seventh novel to feature psychologist Dr Alex Cross, consultant to the FBI and Washington DC Police Dept.

Hours after watching Mikey Edgerton executed for serial rape and murder Alex Coss is called out to a copycat murder. Has he made a mistake or is there more to it? A note from the mysterious M who has been contacting him for years would suggest so. As M ramps up his campaign it would
Morgan
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am an Alex Cross fan – not a James Patterson fan. (Yes I know Cross is a fictional character).
Kudos to James Patterson for keeping Dr. Alex Cross interesting since 1993.
This being #27 in the series it’s quite an achievement.
“Criss Cross” is not only suspenseful but also emotional as Cross is faced with a family (almost) tragedy.
I was sure early on that I knew who the villain was. I was wrong. Nice trick.
Furthermore #27 has left the reader no doubt that there is a #28 in the making.
Deb
Nov 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
This was a fast paced book featuring Alex Cross. It held my interest as it moved along quickly. It seemed a bit more gruesome than his other books, but that didn't take anything away from the book.
Beverly Duffy
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popsugar-2020
I always love to read what situation Alex cross and his family will get into. This one brought me back to Patterson early cross book. Enjoyed it an audio. Can’t wait for next one!
Mary
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: november-2019
For some reason my library had this a week before amazon and Barnes and noble . I enjoyed
This book . I thought I knew who the killer was but i was
Wrong (but he was considered a suspect at one point )
There is one minor thing that bugs me but not going to post it as it contains a spoiler .
Scott A. Miller
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not crazy about the ending but this was vintage Patterson and Cross. A great villain too. The story kept me hooked from the beginning. It reminded me of how a great Patterson book can grab you and force you to devour it as fast as you can. And don’t forget the ending... there’s more to come next year.
Priya Shrinath
My full review is up on my blog: https://wp.me/pajm6f-vi

"You messed up big time, but don't sweat it, Dr.Cross", it read and signed my M.

Criss Cross features Dr. Alex Cross going through a really tough time as the killer who calls himself 'M' pushes Cross very hard into his past. Cross has to witness a gruesome electric chair execution of the killer he had put behind bars and face accusations from the family. Just when he assumes that the killer is gone for good, there occurs a series of murders
Joan
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex Cross witnesses the execution of convicted killer Michael Edgerton, a man whose family believes Doctor Cross framed him. However, Alex and his partner, John Sampson, are certain Edgerton is the killer.

But a copycat crime, with a cryptic note from “M,” causes Alex to wonder if they’ve just seen an innocent man executed. And then the bodies begin to pile up, each scene brings memories of past cases. The taunting notes continue; Alex is determined to put the case to rest.

And then the
Karen Barber
After a pretty gruesome start where Cross has to witness the electric chair execution of the man they convicted of a series of killings, another body is found with a message from M. Suddenly we’re back into a very dangerous scenario...
There’s no doubt that this M is involved in some unpleasant stuff. He is managing to manipulate events and it seems to be for one purpose only - to get Cross involved.
As expected, there’s a fair amount of graphic violence and some pretty tense misdirection. We’re
Sue Plant
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this book

have to say i was a bit disappointed with this one...it felt like an overview of his life in his work and his family, every so often we would get a better glimpse but that would be all...skimmed over version

but i like cross the family man and this just wasnt enough time with anyone..even when the crisis happened i would think that all family members would be there and there wasnt...it just touched on base that was about
Mark
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The usual excellent Patterson entry in the Alex Cross series...lots and lots of red herrings and other twists and turns...as usual, Cross is beset by some murderous criminal mastermind challenging his expertise...of course, the family, Cross’ heart and soul is targeted...in this one, little Ali is kidnapped and Cross and company are in a race to save him, making the pages fly...great stuff, but how much can one man take?
Brenda
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alex's son Ali Cross, age 10, is the featured character.

Sadistic serial killer M is back and this time he's after Alex Cross's family.

The plot twists and tension was steady and frightening.

Patterson at his best!
Nicky Mottram
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audio version of this book - Really enjoyed, one of the better ones of the series ...more
Kevin McGill
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am finished with the Alex Cross series - a sentence I thought I would never say.

The Alex Cross series has gone downhill over the past few novels, but this novel (the 27th in the series) in the one that I need to draw the line at. I didn't enjoy the storyline and I'm not enjoying the characters as much as I use to. I'm stopping the series and preserving the characters in my mind as I saw them in the early novel, not who they are in these later novels.
Sharon
This is book #27 in the Alex Cross series. I have followed the series right from book #1 up to about book #22 when it felt like the series was getting a bit stale! I loved the early Alex Cross books but it did begin to feel that as the series went on the stories were becoming the same as the previous one! I saw this one and thought I’d revisit Alex and see if being away from this series for a while would make a difference!

I have to admit the story was very similar to other Alex Cross books I’ve
Marissa
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patterson is guaranteed to keep your adrenaline rushing with these Alex Cross storylines. Character development so well written it makes you question are people really this crazy. I enjoyed and recommend this five star read. Looking forward to reading all that Patterson has to offer.
Download PDF/ePub eBook Criss Cross (Alex Cross (25)) by James Patterson 2 15 Dec 25, 2019 08:13PM

• A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Take It Back
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Unfollow Me
  • The Guardians
  • Broken Souls (D.I. Lottie Parker, #7)
  • Treason (Stone Barrington, #52)
  • Die ewigen Toten (David Hunter #6)
  • Then She Vanishes
  • Rewind
  • Genesis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #12)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books

Alex Cross (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse (Alex Cross, #4)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)
  • Roses are Red (Alex Cross, #6)
  • Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7)
  • Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)
“an attorney.” I continued through the” 0 likes