Start by marking “When We Left Cuba” as Want to Read:
When We Left Cuba

When We Left Cuba

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  20,098 ratings  ·  2,134 reviews
11 hours, 8 minutes

In 1960s Florida, a young Cuban exile will risk her life--and heart--to take back her country in this exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Hello Sunshine Book Club pick.

Beautiful. Daring. Deadly.

The Cuban Revolution took everything from sugar heiress Beatriz Perez--her family, her people, her country
Audio CD, Unabridged , 1 page
Published April 9th 2019 by Blackstone Audio

To ask other readers questions about When We Left Cuba, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cathy I'm sorry if this seems rude but, do you ever watch the news or read a newspaper?!

·  20,098 ratings  ·  2,134 reviews

Start your review of When We Left Cuba
Miranda Reads
description

"I am nothing if not a scandal."
Beatriz is one of the Perez daughters - known for their fame and fortune in their homeland, Cuba.

But they were forced to flee due to the revolution. And though her family has settled in Florida, and her father is bent on reforming the Perez family fortune, Beatriz cannot help but long for the life she left behind.
"They said you ruled like a queen in Havana."
Beatriz becomes consumed with the near-impossible goal - to destroy Fidel Castro.

But making plans an
Angela M
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Political intrigue, history, wanting to know more about Cuba, and a love story were the things that attracted me to this book, as well as the fact that I enjoyed Next Year in Havana . It moved a little slowly at first. I didn’t feel immersed until a third of the way in and then I was taken in. I remembered that Beatriz Perez was Marisol’s great Aunt and Elisa’s sister from the previous book, but I don’t remember much more about her from the first novel. She turns out to be a spirited, independen
Jen
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cuba
I think I’m going to get poo-pooed on for this review. Having read and adored Next Year in Havana, this one just fell flat for me. Too unrealistic.
I love Cuba but this character? What happened to Beatrize? For a 22 year old she makes reckless decisions - which may be appropriate for her age- but for how intelligent she is supposed to be just didn’t jive for me.
This one read more like a harlequin romance - hey I’m a sucker for a good love story every now and then- but I couldn’t buy into it. I’m
Susanne  Strong
4.75 Intriguing and Suspenseful Stars!
Beatriz Perez wants nothing more than to return to Cuba. Having been exiled to Florida after the Cuban Revolution is not what she had in mind. She has no interest in being a debutante like her sisters, nor does she have any interest in marriage. For Beatriz, the loss of her twin brother Alejandro, is excruciating thus all she wants is revenge. When the CIA recruits her as a spy, she jumps at the chance hoping that she can make Castro pay.

What Beatriz doesn’
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, berkley
A stunning and intriguing follow-up! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Beatriz Perez lost everything during the Cuban Revolution, including her family and her home, her beloved Cuba. The CIA recruits her to get close to Fidel Castro and his comrades.

Now a spy, Beatriz is thirsty with revenge for all she’s lost. The Cold War is in full swing when Beatriz finds herself in love with power hungry man; a clandestine affair, and she knows it.

Beatriz comes to a crossroads where she must choose between everything she holds
Warda
As beautiful as I was expecting it to be.

I was anticipating this book a lot since I read Next Year in Havana earlier this year and fell in love with it. The way that story concluded had me excited to see what Beatriz's story would be like and it didn't disappoint. She exuded a lot of strength, charm and beauty in the previous book and those qualities carry through in her own book.

Beatriz is a defiant character. She has a reputation that follows her, but she couldn't care less. She's bold and br
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Nov)
Beatriz Perez lives in exile in Palm Beach, Florida with her family, but Cuba forever lives in her heart. The family fled during the Cuban Revolution and they lost their family home and successful sugar field business. They are safe, but Beatriz has anger and revenge on her mind.  She isn't one to forget the past.

Beatriz as a strong, independent and beautiful young woman and is known for catching the eye of many and is known to  collect marriage proposals .

She is approached by the CIA and a
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh. Not really sure how to rate this one as it just.. wasn't what I expected it to be? Which I guess is my fault. I went in wanting more romance but this was definitely more about espionage and like.. spy stuff? It wasn't a bad book, but it was just not my cup of tea.
Liz
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 stars, rounded up
When We Left Cuba picks up in time after Next Year in Havana. The Perez family, part of the Cuban sugar aristocracy, has landed in Palm Beach after the Cuban Revolution. Once again, Cleeton does a great job of combining an engaging story with a real feel for the time and place. This is historical fiction done right. Cleeton knows how to weave historic facts into the story in a seamless manner.
This sequel focuses on a different Perez daughter. Driven by revenge, Beatriz Per
Berit☀️✨
An exceptional story about an extraordinary woman! A book rich with love and steeped in history!

Beatriz Perez my queen! There was something about Beatriz that completely captured my heart from the very first page of this book. She was a smart, strong, and sassy woman with an unbreakable spirit and an unstoppable independence. This is a follow-up of sorts to, “Next Year in Havana”, although I’d say you could read this book independently. We do meet Beatriz in the first book (it is the story of h
Norma
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing, suspenseful, glamorous & magnetic!

WHEN WE LEFT CUBA by CHANEL CLEETON is an engaging, fascinating, entertaining, beautifully crafted and rich historical fiction novel that I thoroughly enjoyed. I was immediately drawn into our main characters life, Beatriz Perez and loved the romantic & adventurous journey that this book took me on. The author’s passion and knowledge definitely shines through tenfold and where some of the content was missed by me I totally appreciated learning about
Katie B
If you enjoyed the historical fiction novel, Next Year in Havana, you'll want to check this one out as it features Beatriz Perez. I'm so glad the author decided to write a book about her because she's a fascinating character. Really liked this one as it had a little bit of everything including romance, espionage, and family drama. While this book could be read as standalone novel, I highly recommend checking out the previous book so you can get a better understanding of not just Beatriz but also ...more
Marialyce
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2019

I always find there is nothing better than reading a book that connects you to a time you so well remember. Such was the case in this wonderfully written story that Chancel Cleeton constructed for her readers.

This story takes us into the life and times of Beatriz Perez, a strong willed, beautiful, independent woman who possesses great love and feelings for her native land. Her wish is to see Cuba become the place of beauty, family, and one that her memories so want it to be. However,
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

War has a way of sanding down your virtue.

I reenact my own Cinderella routine sans the discarded pump. If Cinderella had paid what I did for these shoes, she’d have made sure she left the ball with both, too.

The line between villain and hero is whisper thin, and, very frequently, a matter of perspective. Gray, Miss Perez. We operate in the gray.

My Review:
Bkwmlee

In her first book about the Perez family, Next Year in Havana , author Chanel Cleeton had introduced us to Beatriz Perez, Marisol Ferrara’s great-aunt and also older sister to Elisa Perez. Even though the focus of that story was on Marisol and Elisa, with Beatriz playing only a supporting role, I still remember quite vividly Beatriz’s strong, spirited, defiant personality – in fact, she was one of my favorite characters from that story so of course, I was absolutely ecstatic to learn
myra
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When We Left Cuba was good but not as good is I expected it to be since this book got really good reviews. -I liked the first half of the book but the other half was boring, or i just wasn’t interested anymore.
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

TITLE: When We Left Cuba
AUTHOR: Chanel Cleeton
GENRE: Historical Fiction, Women's Fiction
RATING: ✭✭✭
CLIFFHANGER: No

NEXT YEAR IN HAVANA was one of my favorite books last year. The promise of Beatriz being a fantastic heroine was the proverbial dangling carrot and I was looking forward to reading her story.
Alas, WHEN WE LEFT CUBA didn't work as well for me.

Not gonna lie, cheating isn't something I'm comfortable with. It's not necessarily a deal breaker if I can make
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: When We Left Cuba
Author: Chanel Cleeton
Release date: April 9, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: historical fiction, women's fiction

Let me start out by saying that I see major love for this book, and I seem to be in the minority with my feelings. My issues may not be yours. If you've been excited about reading this as I was, you could very easily disagree with me. I was looking forward to Beatriz's story ever since meeting her in Next Year in Havana, and I thought her book was going to be surefir
Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks)
When We Left Cuba picks up a couple of years after Next Year in Havana and tells the story of Beatriz Perez. Beatriz is a beautiful, strong woman trying to buck the societal norms for women of the time. Beatriz is focused on avenging her twin brother's murder and she won't let anything or anyone stand in her way. Last year, I read Next Year in Havana and couldn't wait for this book. Chanel Cleeton has written an intriguing story with yet another memorable character. When We Left Cuba was one of ...more
Kate Quinn
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chanel Cleeton follows the spectacular success of NEXT YEAR IN HAVANA with the sure-to-soar WHEN WE LEFT CUBA, continuing the saga of the exiled Perez sisters. Bold, unconventional Beatriz makes a heroine for the ages, burning to avenge her losses, aid her homeland, and carve out a more independent role for herself than the conventional marriage and motherhood expected by her family. A charismatic American senator offers Beatriz the chance of love in a new home, but a shadowy CIA spy holds out t ...more
Cindy Burnett
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When We Left Cuba is a solid follow up to Cleeton’s last novel, Next Year in Havana. This book focuses on Beatriz Perez and her desire for revenge against Fidel Castro and his cronies who forced her family to leave Cuba. There is a greater focus on Beatriz’s love life and politics in this novel and less on Cuba and its culture and history. My favorite part of Next Year in Havana was absorbing details regarding the food and environs of Cuba and the history that led to Batiste’s downfall. However ...more
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Beatriz Perez and her family are living in Florida after fleeing The Cuban Revolution. They are all acclimating to their simple lifestyle after growing up with wealth and privilege. Her father suffered a big financial loss when his land was seized and is currently trying to rebuild his sugar empire. Beatriz yearns for her old life back in Cuba and seeks revenge for her brother’s death at the hands of Fidel Castro.

Acting as a spy for the CIA, Beatriz is willing to take chances to bring on the dea
DeAnn
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
4.5 revolutionary stars

This is a lyrical and lush historical fiction tale featuring the glamorous Beatriz Perez, who we first meet in “Next Year in Havana” also by Chanel Cleeton. Beatriz is exiled to Palm Beach, her entire family forced out of Fidel Castro’s Cuba. She was the queen bee of society in Havana and is creating quite the stir in Palm Beach. She has a string of marriage proposals and broken hearts to her name.

She is completely taken by surprise when she falls for a handsome politician
Carlene Inspired
Find this review and others at Carlene Inspired.

Beatriz Perez, with her beauty and her paste jewelry, can work the Palm Beach social circuit with the best of them, but she can't pretend it's what she wants. The fake smiles, the social status marriages the American dream, it doesn't mean as much to her as the future of Cuba does. While her family feels safe, despite the loss of their home and the family's successful sugar business, Beatriz burns with anger, with a desperate desire for revenge, wi
Moonkiszt
When We Left Cuba. . .

I’m not a romance book for romance’s sake girl. . . .I like a ripping tale with interesting history, new thoughts, philosophies, intrigue, plot twists, relationships of all types, reasons of all types, justifications, and justice being done. Mysteries, solved and unsolved (if done right), character-heavy, dense beautiful words. I love all that. And if a romance is thrown in, ok. That’s a life thing. But I cannot hardly bear a book written for the opportunity to throw charac
☕️Kimberly
The Perez family has left Cuba and relocated to South Florida. While her father tries to rebuild his wealth and her mother tries to marry them off, Beatriz Perez works with the CIA, to infiltrate Fidel Castro's inner circle.

I adored Cleeton's contemporary romances, but you can tell she has come home in this genre. From, the history to the culture she captured everything from the political climate to the Cuban people.

I love Beatriz. She is young, about twenty-two at the beginning of this story,
Tammy
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2019
5 ☆ Part spy, romance, and political thriller this was a slow burn in all the right ways. It follows up Next Year in Havana detailing the beauty and tragedy of war-torn Cuba after the Perez family are exiled to the states living in Palm Beach, Florida. Fidel Castro is playing house with the Russian’s and opening his shores to communism. But one of the Perez sisters is out for revenge. The very beautiful, bold as brass Beatriz Perez is a force to be reckoned with this time around — to avenge her ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was such a wonderful story! I really enjoyed Chanel Cleeton's Next Year in Havana so I was really excited to learn that one of my favorite characters in that book would get to tell her own story. This is that story. The events in this book take place after those in Next Year in Havana and while I enjoyed seeing all of the characters again, this story stands on its own. I was hooked by this story from the very beginning and had a
FMABookReviews
❝Why does everyone assume I want marriage? That if I’m not someone’s wife, I’m not worth anything?❞

❝It’s not about marriage. You shouldn’t be anyone’s second choice. Don’t you want to be someone’s first choice?❞

❝I don’t want to be anyone’s choice. I want them to be mine.❞

WHEN WE LEFT CUBA was a dazzling portrayal of a strong-willed and self-assured Cuban refugee whose self-appointed mission to make Fidel Castro pay for the destruction of her country and family became her sustenance.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Rich in detail and devastating history, Next Year in Havana enchanted me with the smooth way it blended history with fiction and before I knew it I had completely devoured it in one sitting.

Knowing that there was a sequel on the horizon, this time told from possibly the most famous and notorious Perez girl, I knew it would be one of my top reads for the year and I'm happy to report I wasn't wrong.

Filled with strife, and heartache but also love and friendship, When We Left Cuba will completely ta

• The Henna Artist
  • From Scratch: A Memoir of Love, Sicily, and Finding Home
  • Park Avenue Summer
  • Evvie Drake Starts Over
  • The Guest List
Sign up for Chanel's monthly newsletter to receive exclusive news and updates about her next book- http://bit.ly/1tglPgi.

Chanel Cleeton is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick Next Year in Havana and When We Left Cuba. Originally from Florida, Chanel grew up on stories of her family's exodus from Cuba following the events of the Cuban Revolution.

Articles featuring this book

“If I’m going to have regrets in this life, I’d rather them be for the chances I took and not the opportunities I let slip away.” 13 likes
“There’s no point in denying it. Anger is my faithful companion.” 3 likes