Start by marking “A Dance Too Far (Too Far#1)” as Want to Read:
A Dance Too Far (Too Far#1)

A Dance Too Far

(Too Far #1)

Love can be dangerous!

Valentin Bychkov, rising star of contemporary Russian ballet, appears to have everything: wealth, talent, success, and a face and body to match. Not that anyone can get close. Bypass the entourage and there's still Valentin's sharp tongue and acerbic wit to deal with. He may give his body freely, but his emotions are kept tightly locked away.

Max Far
Published February 15th 2019

To ask other readers questions about A Dance Too Far, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dance Too Far

Truuss / Loveislovereview
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2019
5 BIG stars Amazing captivating read... it costed me some night rest... I couldn’t put it down... at night I couldn’t sleep because of thinking about them.
The cover reveals the character quite well!

At 50% so much already happened and revealed... like I already read a whole book... and there was still more! Wonderful done.

Unbelievable well worked out main characters... the plot ghaawd so well put together!!

It had a darkness in it... but it wasn’t really a dark read... it had cruelty in it but it
Gabi
I think my expectations were too high. I liked it, but for some reason I thought it would be a bit more darker, and Valentin a bit more bitchier (not that he wasn't a diva enough). LOL
It was mostly satisfying both in the romance and in the crime department, but I just... ugh... wanted more.
So, I think it's just me, not the book.
3.5 starts
~Volha~
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When reading a work by a new to me author, there is a certain amount of trepidation and wonder. Will I like or not? This book was a revelation. I loved it. The characters were multidimensional, the writing style was smooth and flowing, the melding of different cultures was seamless. This book allowed me to immerse myself into the world of ballet, backstage drama and vicious men who don't take "no" for an answer.

Max Farley is a man of simple tastes. He walks through life alone and never seems to
Teal
I didn't know what Bratva is when I read the blurb -- if I had, I would have known that this wouldn't be for me. So the DNF isn't the book's fault, it's mine.
Barbara Elsborg
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable romantic suspense with two intriguing, attractive leads. Valentin, the Russian ballet dancer is arrogant, seemingly cold and can deliver cuts that could draw blood! Max is a love-them and leave-them type until he sets eyes on Valentin. But the path of true love – or even lust – definitely does not run smoothly. Add in the Russian mafiya and the manipulative Dimitry and both Valentin and Max have to fight for a future together.
It’s well written, a page turner, sexy and exciting i
Kelly
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Arc copy provided courtesy of H. L. Day

Reviews are voluntary and my honest opinion.

Stylistically, this is exactly the sort of writing I enjoy most -- immersive, dry, witty, and a bit twisted.

Genres: Gay Romance, Thriller, Mafia, Suspense

Two talented alpha men, both used to tepid one night stands with boringly average partners, too wrapped up in masks and past hurts to form any sort of intimate connection, find a connection in eachother.

Max can't keep his hands off Valentin, even when he's be
Kazza
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed this book a whole lot. That cover grabbed my attention every time I saw it in passing on Amazon and with a male ballet dancer in the lead I had to buy it.

While it's a bit light on the mob and ballet elements, it's an engaging story that makes the pages fly by quickly. I really liked Max and Valentin as MCs and there was some angst to fuel my personal enjoyment. For the most part they had to work for their happiness, something that also works for me.

photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png
Joyfully Jay
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

A Dance Too Far is my first book by H.L. Day and I definitely enjoyed the story. The highlight for me is the great character development and watching Max and Valentin grow over the course of the story. Both men are reserved with their emotions, for valid reasons, and neither do more than one-night-stands. I loved the bit of comeuppance Max gets when we first see him leaving last night’s lover wanting more, and then he finds himself in the same situation with Vale
QuietlyKat
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh. This book was ok, I was somewhat entertained but... it didn’t really work for me in a variety of ways.

The main characters were just ok. I didn’t specifically dislike the MCs, but I didn’t really like either of them either. I didn’t feel or understand the chemistry between them. Maybe that’s just a me thing though, I don’t tend to appreciate cold/haughty/bossy characters even when those traits are used as cover for insecurity.

I also didn’t buy many aspects of the plot. I didn’t necessarily
Shelby
Feb 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 62%.

This was quite disappointing for me. For starters, I've read three other books from H.L Day and they have all been 4 stars reads for me, so I had high expectations going into this. And then there is the cover. My god, that is a gorgeous cover. And I will admit that I often do pick books based just on their cover.

Now, unlike the other books, I actually quite liked the blurb for this one. The other three were all books that I wasn't blown away by the blurbs, but ended up thoroughly enjo
Calila
Received ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review

I really enjoyed this. I have to say, it didn't go where I expected it to. I appreciate that I was surprised and that the characters were so true to themselves instead of written out of character for "drama" or "angst". Valentin is who he is. He's not a victim. He's made choices and he lives with them without apology or shame. When the time comes to make harder choices, he does. There's no waffling. None of this is to say that he's emo
Nat ReadingAllNite
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-read, lescourt, m-m
This was a very good romantic/suspense story. I grabbed it for having a ballet dancer protagonist and the hint of Russian mobster types. A hurt/comfort trope is also one of my favorites. Max is a sound technician where Valentin is dancing and he’s unexpectedly attracted to the seemingly arrogant dancer. Valentin uses a cold, emotionless manner to hide his feelings from his demanding, heartless investor/manager, Dmitry. The characters are built up well with alternating viewpoints, internal though ...more
Becca
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible story. A dancer stuck under the thumb of someone contained in the Russian mafia and a sound engineer who sees too much. It was warned to Max to stay away from Valentin but he couldn't. Especially when mib boss Dmitry treated him so badly. Things didn't go well for Max, but with a little help from some unknown sources, Valentin was able to free himself and Max to hopefully start a better life. If it's not too good to be true. A great great story.
Fani *loves angst*

Beautiful! I love this author's writting style, and this book was proof how well it works for me: Sweetness and darkness in perfect balance, a bit of angst, a bit of drama and suspense, and two characters who fit perfectly together. A bit more depth into the MCs' background and character, especially Valentin's, would make take this straight to my keepers shelf, but it was extremely enjoyable anyway.
Daisy
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was great ❤ I loved Valentin right away, as I have a thing for snarky and seemingly cold characters. I do feel it’s a bit unfinished though, I would like it if we got another book in this universe from a different POV? Fingers crossed :) ...more
F.
Enjoyed reading this - a new author to lookout for.
Annie
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Dance Too Far was an interesting standalone story that hooked me early on and continued to reel me in as more and more about the characters were revealed. Although I wouldn’t bill this as a traditional romantic suspense per say, there were definitely elements of that as the conflicts surrounding Valentin’s ties to Russian organized crime come to a head. There was also a strong hurt/comfort theme running throughout this novel, with both men having to overcome their painful pasts to embrace a ne ...more
Meg
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, I was drawn to this book by the beautiful cover more than the blurb. However, the story was just as intriguing.

I have read stories about aloof dancers before, but this had a lot more going on than just the chase after the cold Russian diva. There is a darkness to the storyline that changes the trope into something more interesting and compelling.

Both characters are vulnerable, although Valentin hides his fears and emotions in public behind a haughty and cold demeanor. We are abl
Kirsty Mckenzie
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Wow. This book had me feeling so much. Love, happiness, frustration, anger. Omg sometimes I was unsure how I could go on. But there was no finishing this book, omg I had to know if Valentin and Max was to get their hea.
This was one of those rare times I was watching rather than reading only because I wished to see Valentin dance. But my imagination would and did surfice.
Max omg when he found the one of his dreams he really did change, much for the better for him. I felt his pain I just didn't kn
Nicole
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Complexity at its finest.

This story has a lot of complexity and underlying emotions. It fits well with the main characters and makes for a very absorbing read. I found at times my heart racing, a full range of emotions and left feeling happy. It is a story not for the faint of heart, but totally worth it. A great story all and all.
Ana  Nimity
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ballet, mm-romance
The cover for this book drew me to it as much as anything else, and the story lives up to the cover. This is my second book by this author, who is establishing herself to me as a solid writer who creates characters with depth and plots layered with emotion. The story here is simple, but the feelings are not. When two damaged souls come together and begin to heal each other, my heart is full. While this book has a happy ending, it feels more like a HFN than a HEA to me. Recommend.
I received an a
Jennifer  Ali
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

I don’t know what it is with me loving rude bottoms. An attitude, icy remarks, cruel comments - but underneath they’re actually vulnerable. Oh mama I love those guys. Their characters just seem to have so many layers you never know what side of them you’re going to get on each page.

(Think, Captive Prince SU Pacat)

That’s what this book almost gave me - I just wanted more.

The first half of this book was 5 stars all the way, but the second half was 3.
Tanya
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely a change of pace I didn't know I needed. The suspense, the distance between the 2 MCs and the overall angst was very much needed. However what is not missing is the connection that grows between the 2, the protectiveness they have for each other, and the sex is off the charts hot.

I hope to see more of some of the characters in future books if/when they ever decide to speak to the author. Mikhail has caused some hope of redemption.
Annikka
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by H.L. Day but it definitely won't be the last. The story between Max and Valentin is sweet and wonderful. It was a rollercoaster of emotions. The love they found same so easy between them that I was amazed after everything they had been through, but it was refreshing. Loved everything about this story.
Lustfulcat
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
I could not put this book down, it was vivid whirlwind of sex and danger and I loved all of it. I was never bored. Valentin is perfect.
Funzee Shu

*** 4.5/5 Stars ***

"Because...I keep thinking that somewhere behind that mask you wear, there's a living, breathing human being capable of actual emotions. So you can say whatever you want. It won't make me leave because I see you now. I see who you really are behind that mask you wear."

This book come with a stunningly beautiful cover that took my breath away…

The author said that she saw the gorgeous cover picture on a stock photo site and she just knew that she had to write the story about t
Donna
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, love-bytes
Firstly, that cover is EVERYTHING. I love that the author actually used a description of this image the first time Valentin makes an appearance on page.

Secondly, I have no idea how to pronounce Russian names, but in my head Valentin’s surname was said Bitch-kov, and it suited him perfectly!

Valentin is my very favourite kind of character. An uber talented diva with a superiority complex a mile wide who refuses to be seen without his makeup. Yet beneath all of the flash and snark, he’s a lonely, s
Terri
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At the beginning of this story, it's clear that Max has a lot of growing up to do. He's a "one and done" kind of guy who rarely wakes up in his own bed. Obviously, something happened to Max in the past that damaged him emotionally, though we aren't told about that until much later.
When Max accepts a job working the sound board for a ballet company, he's stunned and immediately entranced at the first appearance of lead dancer Valentin. The diva's beautiful body, incredible talent, haughty attitud
Maggie
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the third book by H.L. Day that I've read and it's the third one I've loved!

Max Farley is a, well, man-whore. An event in his past means he only has one night stands and doesn't trust his heart to anyone. A last minute plea for help by a friend has Max, a sound technician, filling in at the newest ballet production at the Royal Opera House in London, England. Not his usual cuppa, but it paid the bills and he got to watch all the male dancers in their obscenely tight dance outfits - win w
Mary Mary
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
* I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *

I CRAVE MORE!
This book is simply AMAZING! I got sucked into the story right from the very beginning. It was my 1st book by this author but after reading blurb and seeing this totally fabulous cover I was intrigued and I knew that I had to read this story.

It is told in a way that made me forget about the whole world, it is not just a love story, but also a great read about Russian "mafia", getting free from manipulative
« previous 1 3 next »
H.L Day grew up in the North of England. As a child she was an avid reader, spending lots of time at the local library or escaping into the imaginary worlds created by the books she read. Her grandmother first introduced her to the genre of romance novels, as a teenager, and all the steamy sex they entailed. Naughty Grandma! Romance novels were forgotten for a while when real life got in the way: ...more

Too Far (2 books)
  • A Step too Far (Too Far #2)