Start by marking “Amanda in Holland: Missing in Action” as Want to Read:

(Amanda Travels #7)

"Be prepared to learn a lot about the culture while you follow Amanda on her adventure.”Laura Best, author, Bitter, Sweet

“What a great way for a young person to learn about a culture and to be inspired to experience other countries themselves."Irene Butler, author, Trekking the Globe with Mostly Gentle Footsteps

Amanda is in Holland to see the tulips with her best friend,
Published September 3rd 2019 by Central Avenue Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Amanda in Holland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amanda in Holland

Start your review of Amanda in Holland: Missing in Action
Sue
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This latest of the Amanda series has the 12 year old visiting Holland, meeting her English friend, Leah, who is there with her father. While he does some business, they will sightsee. Another goal of Amanda’s is to see if she can learn anything about her great uncle who was missing in action in the Netherlands during World War Two.

As in the last book I read, the history and geography of the area is enveloped into the story quite seamlessly. Amanda and Leah visit Anne Frank’s house and learn inf
BookNightOwl
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amanda in Holland is a story about a 12 year old girl who takes a trip to the Netherlands and while on her trip there is she not only finding out information about her uncle who was a solider during WW2 and went missing in action but she does a lot of sight seeing. While sight seeing she starts to notice that something strange is going on with people she keeps on repeatedly meeting with.

I want to start off by thanking Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this book. I requested to read this
Jacqui
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darlene Foster's Amanda in Holland: Missing in Action (2019) follows the heroine, Amanda Ross, as she makes a trip to Holland to visit friends and try to unravel what happened to an Uncle who never returned from WWII--declared missing in action. If you follow the Amanda series, you know that Amanda cannot travel without getting into trouble, causing mischief, or solving mysteries despite her young age. In this story, Amanda rescues a thrown-away puppy named Joey, tracks down a missing gardener, ...more
Moonkiszt
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: via-netgalley
Amanda in Holland: Missing in Action

A delightful travelogue, with a mystery tied in! It reminded me of Nancy Drew between ages 8 – 12, and set down in recent times. Amanda has the same kind of independence, bright-eyed thinking and mature, thoughtful communication with others, known and unknown. And who can resist puppies? Yes, a puppy is involved, along with windmills, Dutch accents, and baked goods.

This will most appeal to young readers, but as an adult reading through the fast-paced story, I
Blaine DeSantis
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Central Avenue Publishing for providing me with a free ARC in return for an honest review. I must be honest with you, this book exhausts me! This is the 7th trip for Amanda, I had never read the first 6 books in the series but it is easy to follow nonetheless, and here she goes on a trip to Holland. Now Amanda lives in Canada, and I gather that she has made friends with a similar aged girl named Leah who lives in England. Also, I gather that Amanda's mom must allow her to ...more
Sue
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Having read Amanda in Holland I feel as though I have been on a whirlwind tour of the Netherlands. Darlene weaves both historical information into her never-a-dull-moment for Amanda and friends mystery. I appreciated the honesty of the reality and suffering of WWII. The book kept me guessing to the final pages.
MayorEmma
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received this arc from netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

I have not read any of the other Amanda books at this time.
Things I liked:
-Holland is a pretty cool setting, and I liked how some of the local places were mentioned.

Things I didn't like:
-Amanda seemed a little young. Also it seemed like she fell into or got locked in places quite a bit.
-the mystery was really obvious in my opinion.

Overall: younger readers may enjoy this, as it is a mystery in a foreign country, so that adds a li
Robbie Cheadle
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amanda in Holland is the latest addition to the exciting Amanda series of books written by Canadian author, Darlene Foster. Each book in the Amanda series is set in a different country and details some of the amazing cultural and historical sites as well as dishes, drinks and clothes that are specific to that country. This aspect of the series makes it unusual and appealing to young and older readers.

Amanda, who lives in Canada, travels to Holland to meet up with her best friend, Leah Anderson a
Alisha
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had a little too much going on (a puppy/tulip mystery, a family history to uncover, and a whole lot of sightseeing). However, that might be about right for the 8-12-year-old crowd.
The book did a great job of briefly introducing readers to important places and facts of the Netherlands. All the highlights are here: the tulips, the Anne Frank House, Rembrandt, wooden shoes, cheese, bicycles, stroopwafel, the cat boat, the floating flower market, windmills, and the list goes on and on). An
Beth
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amanda is at it again! This time author Darlene Foster writes a fun and engaging story about Amanda's adventures in Holland. This middle school reader book is a charming read and one that I enjoyed probably every bit as much as someone in the target audience will. The Amanda series gives readers a really fun adventure every time.

Amanda in Holland: Missing in Action has a great conversational read style and one of the things that I loved the most is that Ms. Foster incorporates a lot of history a
Alex  Baugh
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the third Amanda Travels I've read, and in it, Amanda, 12, is heading to the Netherlands to join her British friend Leah Anderson and her father, who is there on business. Of course, the girls are there to see the sights, learn about Holland's history and culture, but Amanda has another purpose to be there. She would like to solve the mystery of what happened to her great uncle Harold, who went to the Netherlands with the Canadian army during World War II and never return home.

No sooner
Debra
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Amanda in Holland is a story about a thoughtful, adventurous Canadian girl with a strong moral compass and a quest to do what’s right. Those traits are certainly highlighted during Amanda’s trip to Amsterdam to visit her friend, Leah. Mishaps and mysteries test their friendship when Amanda goes to great lengths to locate the abandoned puppy she found, but then lost to a thief.

The vivid narrative provides readers with a vibrant atmosphere filled with color and movement that makes me want to visit
D. Peach
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was quite a bit of fun. Foster combines a middle-grade fiction plot with a colorful tour of Holland, including its famous sites, snippets of history, and its wonderful flowers and food. I had the great fortune of visiting my grandparents in Holland when I was Amanda’s age, and her experiences in the book mirror my memories in great detail. It was a blast to traipse along beside Amanda and enjoy the country once again.

The main plot focuses on the recovery of a lost puppy, but secondary
Michelle Kidwell
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amanda in Holland
Missing in Action

by Darlene Foster

Central Avenue Publishing

Children’s Fiction , Middle Grade

Pub Date 03 Sep 2019

I am reviewing a copy in Amanda in Holland through Central Avenue Publishing and Netgalley:

Amanda is in Holland with her friend Leah, where they see all the sites. They go to see the Tulip Fields, Windmills, Canals, Anne Frank’s House, even a wooden shoe factory.

Amanda is also hoping to find out more about her great uncle who never returned from the Second World War.

Wh
Irene Butler
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amanda’s latest adventure is a wonderful blend of culture and history wrapped in a gripping tangle of events that lead to her solving a mystery and also finding valuable info on an old family matter. Having visited Holland myself, I had to smile as page after page the essence of the country is superbly captured through Amanda’s eyes. A delightful way for a young person to be immersed in the local lifestyle while being swept away in an exciting tale with a great ending!
Irene Butler
Author/Travel W
maiaisreading
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley for the free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I picked up this book because Holland is in my bucket list. This is my first time to read from this author. She didn't disappoint me. I wish I was with Amanda and Leah as they visited the canals, Anne Frank's house, the tulip gardens and windmills. It was exciting reading it through their eyes. I loved the mystery part of the book too. It was a fun and quick read. I'll definitely look up her other books and share it with my n
Hayley
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amanda in Holland was such a fun read! I'll admit I was a bit bias in picking this title -- my family is Dutch, so the title caught my eye instantly. I learned more about the culture there than I've ever learned from my family (sorry, Dad!). But my favorite part is the way Foster seamlessly ties history, culture, and mystery all in one. This book also makes the location its own character, which I love. Overall, the story had a very Nancy Drew feel to it.

I didn't realize that this book is part of
Teresa Gardner
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What excellent book! I now feel like I was in Holland. Darlene takes you on a tour to many attraction in the great country of The Netherland. She mixes in history, familiar phrases, food and of course a great story. A lost puppy, new friends and mystery!
Alex Lyttle
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always, I love the way these book teach kids about new places. Darlene does a great job combining history, cuisine, architecture and in this case, botany, from new countries in a way that children will enjoy. Looking forward to the next of Amanda and Leah's adventures!

Alex
h bestbier
Jul 22, 2020
Anika
Oct 23, 2020
Darlene Foster
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: amanda-travels

• Gone So Long
  • More to the Story
  • The Jane Austen Society
  • Something to Talk About
  • Looking At The Moon (The Guests of War Trilogy, #2)
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • The Last Odyssey (Sigma Force, #15)
  • School for Stars: First Term at L'Etoile
  • The Clue on the Crystal Dove (Nancy Drew, #160)
  • The Sky Is Falling (The Guests of War Trilogy, #1)
  • Porcupette Finds a Family
  • Death on the Green (The Dublin Driver Mysteries #2)
  • Life Lines : Poems from a Reflection
  • Ultimo atto al Teatro dell'Opera (Sherlock, Lupin & Io #2)
  • The Puzzle at Pineview School (Nancy Drew, #90)
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)
Darlene Foster dreamt of writing, travelling the world, and meeting interesting people. She also believed in making her dreams come true. It’s no surprise she’s now the award-winning author of Amanda Travels, a children's adventure series about a spunky twelve-year-old who loves to travel to unique places. Readers from seven to seventy enjoy travelling with Amanda as she unravels one mystery after ...more

Amanda Travels (7 books)
  • Amanda in Arabia: The Perfume Flask (Amanda Travels #1)
  • Amanda in Spain: The Girl in the Painting
  • Amanda in England: The Missing Novel
  • Amanda in Alberta: The Writing on the Stone (Amanda Travels #4)
  • Amanda on the Danube: The Sounds of Music
  • Amanda in New Mexico: Ghosts in the Wind (Amanda Travels #6)