Start by marking “The Golden Hour (Lady Evelyn Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Hour (Lady Evelyn Mystery #4)

The Golden Hour

(Lady Evelyn Mystery #4)

Lady Evelyn Carlisle has barely arrived in London when familial duty calls her away again. Her cousin Gemma is desperate for help with her ailing mother before her imminent wedding, which Evelyn knew nothing about! Aunt Agnes in tow, she journeys to Scotland, expecting to find Malmo Manor in turmoil. To her surprise, her Scottish family has been keeping far more secrets th ...more
Published March 26th 2019 by BookBaby

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Hour

Malia
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I might be biased, but I think this is a must-read!😉
Susan Johnson
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This is a darker mystery than the cozy read that I expected. This is my first Lady Evelyn mystery but I had no problems keeping up with it. It's set in Scotland with Evelyn's aunt and cousins so it makes a nice setting. It started slowly for me but once it got going, the action moved right along. A nice mystery that kept me guessing.

Thanks to Net Galley and the author, Malia Zaidi, for a copy of this enjoyable read.
Yesha
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

The Golden Hour was fourth cozy historical fiction in Lady Evelyn Mystery that was set in Scotland where Evelyn solve not just one but two murder mysteries. It was about jealousy, unrequited love, obsession, tragedy, dysfunctional family, betrayal, grief and trauma of child loss, struggle of veterans and finding a hope to live and love again.

Initial chapter narrated briefly on how Evelyn and loved ones faring in life- Briony’s baby an
Cathy
I can reassure readers who, like me, have not read any of the previous books in the series that The Golden Hour works perfectly well as a standalone read although there are a few references to events (some significant) in earlier books. However, there are some surprises of a personal nature awaiting even Lady Evelyn in The Golden Hour.

Evelyn makes a spirited heroine with instincts naturally attuned to detection. She’s observant, perceptive, and inquisitive, not to mention determined, independent
Oliver Clarke
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Read this and more crime and thriller reviews on CriminOlly.wordpress.com

‘The Golden Hour’ is a solidly enjoyable period whodunnit that wears its influences on its sleeve. It has an engaging heroine, a decent plot and a little bit of social commentary to keep things interesting.
This is the fourth of the ‘Lady Evelyn’ mysteries from Malia Zaidi and the first that I’ve read. It’s easily digestible as a standalone work and I enjoyed it enough that I might check out the first three next time Amazon
Julia
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Golden Hour is a classic whodunnit murder mystery set in late 1920s London and rural Scotland. Despite its setting, and Malia Zaidi’s close attention to period detail, it has a smart, up-to-date feel and a confident, modern heroine in Lady Evelyn Carlisle.

Although The Golden Hour is the first of Malia Zaidi's Lady Evelyn Mysteries I have read, it is actually the fourth in the series. It is perfectly easy to read as a standalone though and there are no spoilers for earlier books so I will be
booksofallkinds
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily reviewed this book from the tour organiser

THE GOLDEN HOUR by Malia Zaidi is an enjoyable historical mystery with plenty of characters to keep you interested.

Lady Evelyn Carlisle is just figuring out what she wants from her future when she is called to Scotland by her cousin who desperately needs her help. But when Evelyn arrives nothing seems to be particularly wrong. Yet one should never judge a book by its cover and beneath the facade of this lovely community something dark is l
Lel Budge
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set in April 1927 and Lady Evelyn Carlisle receives a call from her cousin Gemma, she is about to be married, but wants Evelyn to arrive early in Scotland, as she is concerned about her mother’s behaviour….

When she arrives she’s puzzled as there seems nothing wrong…But things are not quite what they seem, Gemma’s mother is lively and helping a neighbour turn his home into a retreat for artistic veterans of the Great War. Not everyone is happy about this though.

Then, on the Mayday celebration, a
Toni
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the Lady Evelyn mystery series set in 1927. This is my first foray into this breathtaking series and I was not disappointed. Loved the lushness of the scenery and how detailed it all was to behold. Just great.

The backdrop waffles between the UK and Scotland and relies on a lot of narrative and description. So, if you don’t like an overly wordy book, this one might not be for you. But the complex detailed mystery surely makes up for the nearly 400 pages of text.

All the
Annarella
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book, entertaining and engaging.
I loved the plot, the well written cast of characters and the setting.
The plot is somehow darker than the usual cozy mystery but this makes the book more interesting.
Even if its the 4th in a series I had no problems in understanding the plot and the characters.
I will surely look for other books in this series.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
So this is the fourth in the Lady Evelyn Carlisle mystery series but having not read the first books in the series, I can say it can be read as a stand-alone, as the author gives enough background about the character without spoiling the other books.

At a loose end after finishing her degree, Lady Evelyn finds herself travelling to Scotland to see her Aunt Iris who her cousin Gemma claims is acting strangely. When she arrives at Malmo Manor there is an underlying tension which may have something
Puzzle Doctor
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Between the wars female sleuth mystery. Perfectly fine. Full review at classicmystery.blog
Elizabeth Konneker
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the Lady Evelyn series so far! The characters and storyline are as rich as ever. Definitely a must-read.
Amy
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I fully expected the Lady Evelyn Mysteries, (of which The Golden Hour is the fourth) to be your standard cosy historical - period setting, feisty aristocratic female sleuth, and country house parties galore. As a fan of the Daisy Dalrymple series, that would certainly not have been a problem, however, whilst there are similarities between the two series, I was surprised by the depth of The Golden Hour.

Whilst there is indeed a feisty aristocratic female sleuth at the heart of the series, Evelyn h
Steph Warren
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book with thanks to the author and to Emma Welton of damppebbles blog tours. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

In the Lady Evelyn mysteries I have discovered a beautifully written, classic-style cosy mystery of the kind I love. The Golden Hour is the fourth book in the series but can be read as a standalone story (as I did) quite easily. Personally, I would recommend reading the series in order (and intend to go back and do so) in order to get the
Michelle Whitham (curled_up_with_a_good_book)
Lady Evelyn Carlisle is called to Scotland by her cousin, who is desperate for some help with her Aunt who has suffered from mental health issues throughout her life. Evelyn agrees to go but is dismayed (and I think a little grumpy!) that her other Aunt Agnes, decides to go with her. Although she decides this might be a good time to try and rebuild some bridges between them.

On arrival, she discovers her family acting strangely, but having always been close to her Aunt, manages to find out what i
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
In this sprawling cozy mystery set in post-Great War Britain, Lady Evelyn is newly returned from university when one of her Scottish cousins calls her and asks for her assistance with her mother (Lady Evelyn’s aunt). Before leaving London, she stops in at her aunt’s home, and soon her aunt is traveling with her to find out what is going on with the family in Scotland. When they arrived, much more is happening than the cousin let on. Also, a neighbor has turned his home into an artist’s retreat f ...more
Rachel Bridgeman
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the fourth Lady Evelyn novel, which could be off putting to anyone who hasn’t read the first 3 but I can completely recommend diving straight in, as I did, and being able to follow the plot and the family relationships . It is a testament to the skill of the author that she doesn’t exclude the casual reader yet leaves you wanting more and to read back in the series as well as anticipating more (book 5, please?)

Lady Evelyn is an orphan, a graduate , a self made woman living between World
Karen Huxtable
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Review
4 stars
This is fourth book in the Lady Evelyn Mysteries, I had not read the previous books but I enjoyed this as a standalone.
I am a real fan of golden age crime and was thrilled to be invited to join the tour for this book.
I liked the character of Evelyn I thought she was a feisty and interesting character, who has been brought up by an Aunt Agnes after her parents die. Evelyn is asked to travel to Scotland to visit her Aunt Iris her Mothers and Aunt Agnes’s sister by her cousin Gemma
Noemi Proietti
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first novel by Malia Zaidi, but THE GOLDEN HOUR is the fourth novel in the Lady Evelyn Mysteries and I completely fell in love with this character, her family, and her adventures and I already purchased the other books in the series. Who is Lady Evelyn? Living in the London of 1920s, she is a young woman in her twenties, raised by her strict aunt Grace, just graduated from Oxford University, and refusing to get married just because that’s what is expected from her. I really like the c ...more
Natasha
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Usually with these mystery type novels, the action moves faster. Zaidi’s novel exists in opposition to this. It is slow and meandering, delving deeper into the family drama more than the murder mystery hand. Evelyn has a curious mind, but she cannot appear too overt in her investigation, so we are exposed to a kind of Austen set-up, where characters are adept at visiting and drinking tea in company. For all the placid and pleasant surface that is Falkland, underneath lies dark truths. The murder ...more
Katie  Cunningham
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize when I read this that there were three previous books in the series, so don't worry about reading them out of order. Evie (Lady Evelyn Carlisle) is a strong woman, level headed and smart. She's also very introspective, which makes for a long book but necessary since her musings give insight into the family dynamics. She cares about everyone around her, even the servants who others don't seem to notice. And she wants to see justice done for not one but two murders that she is cer ...more
Susan
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
April 1927 and Lady Evelyn Carlisle receives a call to urgently travel to Malma Manor, near Falkland as her cousin Gemma is concerned about her own mother. But things are not what they seem, and which are made worse by one of their neighbours at Elderbrooke Park making his home into a retreat for artistic veterans of the Great War. At an opening day, a body is discovered by Lady Evelyn and she is determined to help catch the guilty party.
Another slow placed, well-written mystery. An entertaining
EmmaFz
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had been waiting for the next Lady Evelyn installment and once it arrived, it did not disappoint. This time the action takes place in Scottland and apart from the engaging back story surrounding the mystery, I like how relationships change and progress, showing personal developments from book to book. It always feels boring to me, when characters in series do not change or age or move along, in spite of all the things that happen, but this is not the case in Evelyn’s life. This book again is a ...more
Elise
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this newest installment of the Lady Evelyn series, it builds beautifully on the first three installments! My favorite characters are all back, along with some new characters, a new location, and a new gripping mystery. But my favorite part of this book (and all of the books in the series) is Evelyn herself. Evelyn is both bold and level-headed, caring toward her family and shrewd in the face of danger. I don't often read mysteries, but for this series, I make an exception!
Pat Eroh
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Filled with old world charm and great characters. I absolutely love the main protagonist of the story but I don't quite know what to make of her living with her intended and her desire to wait to marry, at least not during this time in history. I guess that would make her unusual for her time and intriguing. Either way, the story is fabulous and will keep you turning pages.

nicola wright
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best one yet

I really enjoyed this book in the lady Carlisle series. Well written and researched, good length and moved along well. Unfortunately I spotted the murderer before the murder but I've read a lot of Agatha Christie!
Annie ~ The Misstery
3.5* Review to come.
Rita
Mar 27, 2019
Cheryl Louise
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
With realistic family dynamics, The Golden Hour depicts a European family who has dealt with loss and is planning a wedding within the younger generation. Of the three matriarchs, one has died. Our main character lost her mother at a young age and was raised by an aunt, yet feels the other aunt must have been more like her mother. When this aunt shows signs of mental decline, our main character is called in by the bride-to-be for support.
While a bit slow-moving, the book is beautifully written.

Hello and thanks for stopping by!
I am the author of A Poisonous Journey, A Darker Shore, The Study of Silence and The Golden Hour the first four novels in the new Lady Evelyn Mystery series.
I have been active on Goodreads for a while and am always happy to explore new books to add to my toppling pile:-)
I am a painter and enthusiastic traveler and have lived in Germany and the US, though my dream h

Lady Evelyn Mystery (4 books)
  • A Poisonous Journey (Lady Evelyn Mystery #1)
  • A Darker Shore (Lady Evelyn Mystery #2)
  • The Study of Silence (Lady Evelyn Mystery #3)