Start by marking “Lessons on Love: 4 Schoolteachers Find More Than They Bargained for in Their Contracts” as Want to Read:

4 Teachers Find More Than They Bargained for in Their Contracts

Something Old, Something New by Kathleen L. Maher
New York, 1840s
Her fathers sudden death makes Gilda Jacobs the new schoolmaster, but to teach Christian curriculum she partners with fire-and-brimstone revivalist Joshua Blake, who learns a lesson in love.

Love in Any Language by Susanne Dietze
Kansas,
Published October 1st 2019 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about Lessons on Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons on Love

Start your review of Lessons on Love: 4 Schoolteachers Find More Than They Bargained for in Their Contracts
Deanne Patterson
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
Oh my, I loved these novella length stories so much.
The author's are established Christian authors and their stories make the readers feel real emotion as the characters go through different life experiences bound by the common thread of being a teacher. All have the possibility of finding love.
One of the teachers is even a male.
Two of the stories have readers learning customs from other countries, one of the stories has readers returning to beautiful Mackinac Island (oh how much I want to visit
Karen R
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quality collection of new novellas! Set from 1840 to 1904 they have a common thread of teaching, but are all quite unique. Three women and one man endeavor to help support their families by teaching and reach out to help others in their communities, finding a special relationship on the way.

The women in these entertaining stories were no wilting flowers, for sure. They all showed a lot of determined 'backbone' to earn a living and use their talents to help others. The men they paired up with
Melissa Henderson
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From curriculum to mystery to family and more, each story brings unique situations. The teachers all face different circumstances and have the possibility of finding love. I enjoyed reading stories with strong willed women characters. They were determined and dedicated. Great read. I received a complimentary copy of this book. No review was required.
Kailey
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the common theme of teaching, yet all of the stories are so different. I loved them! Having read stories from each of these authors before, I knew I was in for a treat! Each story was so unique! This is a book that I will definitely be reading again! I definitely recommend it!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Andrea
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this collection! It resonated with me as I had great and great-great aunts that were teachers in this time period. This is a collection of stories about strong women who do what they must to provide for themselves and their families.
"Something Old, Something New" is a mixing of cultures. After working as her father's assistant, Gilda fights to take his place as the schoolmaster. The Mayor has other ideas. I enjoyed how the Jewish and Christian cultures were blended in the end.

Anne Rightler
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lessons on Love is a collection of four novellas from Barbour Publishing with the themes each being centered on school teachers during the time period of the mid-19th century and early 20th century. I love these collections as they are easy to read one story at a time and when they are written by authors you love, it's a great book! The stories each have a schoolteacher as one of the main characters and yet each one is different--a Jewish gal taking on the classroom after her father dies, a ...more
Tina
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, e-pdf-adr

I always enjoy novella collections by Barbour. They have changed the book format of the novella collections, but I like it even though I will miss the older format (which I loved). There are four novellas in this collection written by four gifted authors bringing their own unique writing style to their story. The stories are set in the time periods of 1840, 1870, 1894 and 1904 and cover several states:
Candace West
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully heartwarming novella collection! Each story contained unique characters within an engaging plot...sometimes poignant, sometimes sweet. Every story left me wanting more from these characters, and I didn't want to leave when it was time to say goodbye. I love these novella collections from Barbour. The authors from this collection didn't disappoint, and I absolutely can't wait for them to do another one! This is one for my bookshelf because I'll keep coming back to it!

I received a
Chaquinta Sherwood
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story about 4 teachers who endure unexpected circumstances. I recommend to all who enjoy Historic romance.
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review from Net Galley.,
Paula Shreckhise
Lessons on Love is a novella collection by Barbour in a new format.
I like the length of these novellas. We get the benefit of a better fleshed out story.
Something Old, Something New by Kathleen Maher was a real treat to read. I learned about Jewish traditions and how different cultures might have gotten along in the 1800s in Westchester County, New York. It was fun to see how the author wove the customs into the story. There is a bit of mystery to the romance.
Love in Any Language by Susanne
Betti
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
What a lovely way to spend a few hours, losing yourself in the woes and triumphs of yesteryear.

Something Old, Something New - Kathleen L. Maher
1840 - New York
Finding herself as the sole provider for the family, Gilda is sure that she will continue teaching the children in the school her father started. However, the school board feels that a female cannot deal with the discipline in the classroom. Will she lose her position and thus her livelihood to the young man they bring in or will he teach
Sally
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved these four stories!
My grandmother was a teacher in the late 1800's and the first one I knew! My sister, aunt, niece were all schoolteachers. I only taught in Sunday School and in my work. Having that background I appreciated all that the teachers in the stories experienced.
Lessons on love was realistic to me, so real that that came to life as I read. Sorrow, romance, emptiness, challenges, foreign language barriers, unemployment, depression, no work for women, strict rules are only
Debbie Mitchell
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely stories

This is a nice collection of short stories written by four wonderful authors. Each story introduces a teacher, which I enjoyed a lot....having taught Sunday School for 25+ years. Strong characters and vivid descriptions help to move each story along, allowing the reader to truly envision each scene. These stories take place between 1840 and 1904, when teaching was totally different from today. They had some pretty strict rules. I enjoyed these stories, but I also learned quite a
Robin
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each one of these books in this collection is very well done. An interesting look at what female schoolteachers had to contend with in order to be able to teach. The one story concerning a male teacher showed the difference to be rather significant. I highly recommend this collection. I received an advance reader copy from the author. Opinions are my own.
Carolyn Bryant
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an easy to read, faith-based collection of historical romances written by four talented authors. I enjoyed all four stories. The narratives were interesting and well-written depicting life in the late 1800s and early 1900s and especially the mores that society required of teachers. The characters, although diverse from story to story, are believable and engaging. As a teacher, I am always touched and somewhat amazed at stories about the trials and barriers those teachers had to overcome ...more
Nancy
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
So far I have been able to read two of the novellas in this collection. Its a good collection. I did find one of the novellas to be almost incomplete on its writing. I needed more complete information. Or maybe an just missed it. I would recommend this collection. I like that its highlights teachers. I look forward to finishing this novella collection. I was given a copy of this book from NetGalley. All views stated are my own. ...more
Becky
Lessons on Love is a collection of historical romance novellas. It is a themed collection celebrating teachersmale and female. The novellas are as follows: Something Old, Something New by Kathleen Maher; Love in Any Language by Susanne Dietze; In Desperate Straits by Carrie Fancett Pagels; and A Song in the Night by Rita Gerlach.

The first novella features a Jewish heroine, Gilda. The family (her mother and sisters) have been financially struggling since her fathers death. Shes a teachera good
Faith
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
An anthology containing four stories focusing on love.

Something Old, Something New where two people of different faiths, Judaism and Christianity, must work together in unity as they teach the children of a small town in upper New York State along the Hudson River and near the Erie Canal.

This is a story not only of two different faiths, it is also a story of two peoples, two educators and two families that split apart because two people each of a different faith united as one. You can find out
Becky
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love reading these authors, and especially when they are grouped together to bring readers a group of novellas that teach various people about love. Beginning in an era when teachers were not allowed to be married, each story becomes more modern until the early 1900s.

One of the teachers had her job taken from her by nepotism on the school board, but she found a way to continue teaching--by teaching the Norwegian children to read, write, and speak English.

One of the teachers loses
Amy
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lessons on Love: 4 Schoolteachers Find More Than They Bargained for in Their Contracts is a collection of four stories by four talented authors. These stories include:
Something Old, Something New by Kathleen L. Maher - Gilda Jacobs becomes a school master in 1840s New York
Love in Any Language by Susanne Dietze - Mary Clarence teaches school in 1870 Kansas to immigrants from Sweden.
Kansas, 1870
In Desperate Straits by Carrie Fancett Pagels - Margaret Hadley finds herself acting as a man to get
Sandra
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This well written collection of novellas takes place between the late 1800's and 1904. Each story is unique and brings its own circumstances regarding teaching. The rules for women teachers during this time period were very strict. Not only could a woman not marry and keep her position. In many cases she could not even talk to a man, unless it was a doctor and she was sick. The man must be a close relative, father, brother or such. They could also talk to their clergy. No one else. They didn't ...more
Sherry
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A wonderful collection of novellas! Taking place from the mid 1800's to the early 1900's each novella centers around teachers and the circumstances they face which is more than just teaching. I found this collection very interesting as my grandmother was a one room school teacher. I can remember her relating some of the different situations she faced but as a young teen/adult I didn't grasp the "lesson" she was trying to teach me. As I was reading this very interesting book I couldn't help but ...more
Anne
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lessons of Love
By Susanne Dietze, Rita Gerlach, Kathleen L. Maher, Carrie Fancett Pagels
These novellas were well written and made a wonderful collection that was easy and fun to read. I appreciated each of the storys as they were all unique. I think that I enjoyed, In Desperate Straits the most. Each of the women overcame their challenges with their faith stronger.
Evil lurked in the heart of man that only Gods love and grace could ever overcome.
I was provided with a copy of this book via
Anne
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy inspirational historical romance then youre sure to find a few pleasurable hours spent with these four school teachers while they address and work through challenges faced in and out of the classroom. With four unique writing styles, readers are sure to be entertained and encouraged by one or more of these courageous young teachers.

I have to mention the gorgeous cover. I love the cutout design. Its one of the prettiest covers on my book shelf this year!

I was gifted a copy of the
JoAnn
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lesson on Love is a good collection of historical romance novellas.. I enjoyed each selection.. each story is well written with an entertaining plot. Fans of historical romance will enjoy this book. Thanks to the publisher for my advance ebook. This is my unbiased review.
Wilani Wahl
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved, Loved, Loved this collection. It has 4 stories written by some terrific authors. I am sure I will want to read these again.
Amy Roelant
Quick stories that had enough content that made each interesting. Liked Love in any Language most of the 4.
Paty
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful collection of novellas about four strongminded schoolteachers who, as the front page says will find more than they bargained for in their contracts!
And it was just like that! Sweet historical romances that center around school, teaching, and finding love and so much more discoveries in the process!

Something old, Something new, by Kathleen L. Maher. 1840, New York.
Loved this sweet story of Gilda, a Jewish girl with the loving burden of fitting in her fathers shoes after his
Lucy
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great Barbour Collection by four go to authors, as they each bring their own style. The four novellas share about schoolteachers in the time period from 1840 to 1904. Times were different and women teaches could not marry or spend time with a male that wasnt related. I enjoyed the historical aspect and learning what rules they had to follow.
Something Old, Something New by Kathleen L Maher: I especially liked the glossy of Hebrew and Yiddish terms. A well crafted story that had me engaged
Lori
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved each and every one of these stories!! The authors that wrote them well, I just love them.
Each story has a charm of it's own and each woman had a teaching style all her own.
Did you know that back in those days teachers were not allowed to marry? If they did, she would have to quit and the school board would hire someone else.
When I went to visit the Little House museum site in Kansas they had a list of rules that the teacher had to follow. I didn't mean to but I had to laugh at some of

• Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • In the Cradle Lies (Tree of Life #2)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • The Gray Chamber
  • The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #9)
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders Collection, #1)
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • The Blue Cloak (True Colors)
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads, #3)
  • The Oregon Trail Romance Collection: 9 Stories of Life on the Trail into the Western Frontier
Susanne Dietze began writing love stories in high school, casting her friends in the starring roles. Today, she's the award-winning, RITA®-nominated author of several romances who's seen her work on the Publisher's Weekly, ECPA, and Amazon Bestseller Lists for Inspirational Fiction. Married to a pastor and the mom of two, Susanne lives in California and loves fancy-schmancy tea parties, the beach, ...more