Start by marking “Bill Marriott: Success Is Never Final--His Life and the Decisions That Built a Hotel Empire” as Want to Read:

Audio CD
Published September 3rd 2019 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Bill Marriott, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bill Marriott

Start your review of Bill Marriott: Success Is Never Final--His Life and the Decisions That Built a Hotel Empire
Jessica
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I give this book 4.5 stars which rounds up to 5.

Initially, I thought this book might be on the dull side since it’s nonfiction, but I was wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

First off, I’m a big fan of Marriott hotels. Whenever I stay in a hotel, it’s usually a Marriott. However, I had no idea just how big the Marriott company actually is.

description

This book is jammed packed with information. I could tell that the
Janet
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Susan Graves
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for stories about hard work and determination helping others reach their dreams. The story of Bill Marriott is just this. One thing I really liked about this story however that truly set this apart was they showed what obstacles Bill had to overcome to get where he was. This showed me that life for the Marriott's was far from easy it took determination and willpower to overcome and keep pushing towards his goals.
Nan Williams
Any trivia or minutiae you want to know about Bill Marriott’s childhood, friends and family or life, you will find in this tome by Dale Van Atta. You can read about his shopping trip to the Boy Scout “super store” in Manhattan or his playground foibles or his ancestors’ quirks back into the early 1800’s.

Growing the business of the Hot Shoppes and later the Marriott hotels seems more like a side issue than the crux of the story. Central to everything is his Mormon faith and the contacts (such as
Cathy
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know that I’ve ever given a thought to how a big business, like Marriott Hotels, started and grew into what it is. But I was really amazed by the whole process that was talked about in this book.

I loved that this book starts with J.W. Marriott, Bill’s father. It talks a bit about where his parents and grandparents came from. This kind of thing really helps put the whole person together. There’s no way any of us are going to be quite who we are now without the people who have gone before
Rich Radford
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was blessed to be mentored by Bill Marriott in the mid 1980s as he and Sterling Colton were the church leaders (my Stake President and Bishop) who prepared & recommended me to serve a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints mission. President Marriott led by example, was kind, patient and tremendously effective. I'm astonished how many personal handwritten letters he wrote me despite all the other schedule pressures in his life. I remember the boat accident, hearing him talk about the ...more
Rachel's Book Reviews
Back Cover Summary:

Bill Marriott, son of J. Williard Marriott who opened a root-beer stand that grew into the Hot Shoppes Restaurant chain and evolved into the Marriott hotel company, grew up in the family business. In his more than fifty years at the company’s helm, Bill Marriott was the driving force behind growing Marriott into the world’s largest global hotel chain. His vision and leadership expanded the family business to more than 6,500 properties across 127 countries and territories.

Bill
Shirley Alarie
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What does it take to grow an empire from the ground up? How can a Christian be a hungry business mogul? Bill Marriott – Success is Never Final is a behind-the-scenes look at one such company and one such man. I have rated this book with 3.5 stars.

Author Van Atta describes what some might consider minutia details and others might consider fascinating. Covering the family history of Bill Marriott’s great grandmother’s immigration from England for religious reasons is one example that some might
Lincoln
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love biographies and this one really kept my interest.
Cheri
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What does it take to become a CEO and a family man? Read about the ups and downs of the Bill Marriott's life, and how he made it through varis trials to bounce back and become better. From making it through financial despair to success.
Charlotte
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It was very interesting to learn about Bill Marriott. I love to see how people live and figure out what to do with their lives. I was inspired.
Kevin R.
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected! While a lot of the book focuses on business, it also focuses on family relationships, faith, and more. Some of my favorite stories included a lion getting loose during a ribbon cutting ceremony and its trainer chasing him down the halls of the hotel, J. W. Marriott calling the prophet directly to ask him to rescind the calling for Bill to be a bishop because he was too busy running the company (the prophet turned him down), and more.

One of the
Carrie
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, but I struggled with all the business facts that were thrown in all throughout the book. Yes, it's about building his empire, but I felt like the facts were thrown in, while telling the more personal parts of his life story.
Janet Graham
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating Look At a Fascinating Man
The author is obviously quite impressed with Mr. Marriott. And rarely presents his life in other than glowing terms. The book often goes back to the immigrant ancestors of Bill Marriott and the hardships they faced not only because of their immigrant status but also their LDS faith. There is a treasure of behind the scenes revelations as the business grew. Most of the book is truly fascinating. Because being a member of The Church Of Jesus Christ of the
Sidney
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good. His business acumen, family-centeredness, and religious devotion all combine to make a very inspirational life and enjoyable read.
Brian Berrett
I wasn’t sure to rate this 3 or 4 stars. It is an interesting read. I enjoyed hearing about his life and what he was able to do as a business man. I liked him for the most part (not a huge fan of his dad though). I was hoping for a little more information on his standards, credo, or recipe for success. That he was a religious guy was evident though. Overall, I would recommend it and encourage you to draw your own conclusions and take aways.
Jacqueline Horsfall
I was eager to read this book about Bill Marriott’s life because I’m a Marriott Vacation Club owner and have always been treated like royalty when staying at their hotels or resorts. Their customer service and amenities can’t be beat. This attention to hospitality is evident in detailing the Marriott family’s rise, through hardships and prosperity, heartbreak and fame, bolstered by their strong religious faith.

I gave this book three stars for two reasons. First, I occasionally got names and
Jeff Birk
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Mandy
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly researched and accessibly written, this detailed biography of Bill Marriott was both entertaining and informative. The son of J Willard Marriott who started what became the Marriott hotel chain, he spent his working life in the family firm and oversaw its growth into the international business we know today. I did feel that the book verged into a hagiography at times, but nevertheless it was perceptive and insightful, especially about Bill Marriott’s Mormon faith and how it informed ...more
Mirandajo
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great biography about Bill Marriott. As with most biographies, it does chronicle his family history, childhood, education, service, family relationships, business successes and failures. A couple of the traits noticeable in Mr. Marriott are his intense desire to succeed, love of family and service to his church/community. This book was thoroughly enjoyable with so much information of not only his family, but the far-reaching of the Marriott name in the world's economy. Who knew!
Sam Gerrits
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I was over 100 pages in and had a hard time knowing there was still more to go. It's not horribly written. It's just that I was looking more into the entrepreneurial aspect than the trivia-like story line. I feel like this book could have been way shorter. The title makes it sound like it is more about business than the entire family and all of their backstories and then some. I ended up not finishing, but may revisit it in the future.
Kaye
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this mainly because of the many connections to people I know but also straight forward and honest about the growth of Marriott company as well. Highly recommend although “others” might not get the deeper issues and may be critical of the potential self congratulatory style. I enjoyed it immensely and learned about issues I didn’t know. Long and influential family history.
Kari Sweeten
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love to get a behind-the-scenes peek at successful entrepreneurs and boy oh boy was Bill Marriott successful! He was also very giving, had that never give up even when I fall drive, and throughout his journey he was a husband, father, and a religious man. Inspiring for sure!
Angela
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to the audio about Bill Marriotts life. I didn’t know much about the marriotts to begin with. I have a new appreciation for he and his family’s lives. I look forward to my next stay in a Marriott hotel where I will have gained a new appreciation. ...more
Emy
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed learning about Bill Marriott, his family, and their business empire. Bill’s business goals were astounding and full of risks and courage and giant growth and some setbacks. Their family has done a lot of good!
Channing
It was very interesting. Very detailed on some stories but I don’t feel like I have a good idea on how he created his empire.
Susan Beal
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read, especially for a former employee. It was interesting to learn what was happening at corporate while I was at the property level.
Charles Carrington
Disappointed by this book. Wanted more than 'this happened' and then 'that happened'.
Ronny
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about an exemplary individual.
Violet O
Oct 24, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Heavens Are Open
  • The Holy Spirit: His Identity, Mission, and Ministry
  • Insights from a Prophet’s Life: Russell M. Nelson
  • Mistaken Reality
  • Into the Flames (Fire and Steel #6)
  • A Case for the Book of Mormon
  • The Last Man at the Inn: One Man's Quest to Believe
  • Seekers Wanted: The Skills You Need for the Faith You Want
  • The Candy Cane Caper (Culinary Mystery, #13)
  • Muddy: Where Faith and Polygamy Collide -- A Historical Novel
  • The Priesthood Power of Women: In the Temple, Church, and Family
  • Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)
  • Dreams as Revelation
  • Secrets and Suitors
  • The Lady and the Highwayman
  • Entangled
  • Paul, Big, and Small
“That’s the importance of listening and not thinking you know it all. Always try to find out what’s on the other person’s mind, and work with them, and you both might get what you want.” 0 likes