Start by marking “Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)” as Want to Read:
Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)

Master of the Phantom Isle

(Dragonwatch #3)

Cursed by the Key of Forgetting, Seth has lost all memory of his past—his relationships, his experiences, and who he really is. For now he will align with his new mentor, Ronodin, the dark unicorn, who takes him to the Phantom Isle, the secret gateway to the Under Realm. Though Seth is not formally a prisoner, Ronodin wants to use him and his shadow charmer powers for his ...more
Audio CD
Published October 1st 2019 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Master of the Phantom Isle, please sign up.
Katherine Tomlinson Ronodin wants to train Seth on his own for his own evil needs, so probably not.
Maneesh It's going to be a five book series, just like Fablehaven.

Start your review of Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)
Susan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, that's fine. Just leave me without any resolution. That's great. I'm fine. At least this wasn't as bad as Wrath of the Dragon King with regard to the ending but still not cool. In this book, we saw the return of some old characters from Fablehaven. Some made me smile at the old memories and some made me scream in frustration. After book 2 I became a little concerned that this series would decline but I feel like this book totally redeemed the series. I'm actually really happy with the way ...more
A.M.G.
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Fablehaven and Dragonwatch fans (obviously)
Pre-Read

I do not question. I. Just. WANT!

Post-Read

Rating: 5 / 5

Now, just to be clear, this is still a five stars read; however, I would be hard-pressed to say that I loved it as much as I've loved...well, pretty much every other book in this and the Fablehaven series. PLEASE hear me out!

Okay, so, first for the plot. We start off almost immediately where we left off in Wrath of the Dragon King, with Seth newly kidnapped by Ronodin following the loss of his memories at the end of the second book.
Biz
well that was certainly A Book! Review and rating to come! I have several thoughts
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Dragonwatch, Master of the Phantom Isle doesn’t miss a beat, picking up right where the last book left off. The dragons are still at it, seeking domination, and it’s hard to imagine a greater threat. Though in this adventure a greater threat does reveals itself. Can Kendra stand against this dark threat without the help of Seth?

For Seth, life is hard when dealing with memory loss and the choices one makes under those circumstances gets to the heart of the character. It is fun exploring Seth’s
Mindy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Master of the Phantom Isles is another wild ride by one of my favorite authors. With the turn of every page, I was waiting to see what could possibly happen next! I was always at the edge of my seat in anticipation. Those pesky dragons, wow! And poor Seth. Beloved characters in peril, new and old characters causing trouble, reliable characters with their usual fun and witty comic relief. This book was awesome, and I haven't missed a book from this author.
Jessica Miller
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I love all of Brandon Mull’s books but this story just seemed... extra funny and even more adventurous than usual. Seth has no memory of his identity and is with Ronodin in the Phantom Isle. Kendra and her friends travel from Wyrmroost to the Crescent Lagoon, both for protection and to help the fallen sanctuary of Crescent Lagoon. We’re introduced to new characters, like a giant, a new wizard, selkie, and mer folk. This book is an all-around good time. The characters are brave and interesting ...more
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won the book lottery and was able to get my hands on an advanced reader's copy of this book almost 4 months before its' release. My favorite book of Mull's so far-yet the one that caused the most heartache for the characters I have come to love.
For the first time we get to experience light vs dark and good vs evil without knowing which will triumph. Seth's sacrifice with the Key of Forgetting has started him on a new path-one with no memories of who he is. Trying to find his own way while
Deborah Clipp
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven’t read this yet but it’s easily one of most anticipated books of this year and HOLY SMOKES the description sounds freakin’ EPIC!!! I predict that this will be my favorite Fablehaven book yet.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
4.5 Stars

MASTER OF THE PHANTOM ISLE is a book full of danger and adventure as these characters continue on their quest to keep dragons from destroying the world. Likable and familiar characters from the series as well as a few new characters join the story as the setting shifts from one dragon sanctuary to another. Multiple storylines and plenty of risks and action keep the story constantly moving, making for a non-stop read. Fans of the genre and of the series will find much to love!

This third
Harper Nicole
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Yep. I blew it. I dreamt up my own idea of this book, you know, in this year of waiting, *glares at Brandon*, and I was WAY off. Okay, maybe not WAY off. But way off. Who cares...

I'M IN LOVE! With two things. Bracken, and this book. I could, through Kendra, talk to Bracken all day. No joke. Yes, I'm gonna be that person that screams at the book, telling everyone to move on with their lives, and just to skip to the parts with Bracken in it. But, you know, Seth's story is interesting too, I
Michelle Kenneth - PerfectionistWannabe.com
This book took a little longer to get through. Usually, I can get through a YA book rather quickly, but this time, I couldn't. I mulled this over in my head and realized why. It's been 13 years since Fablehaven was released. If you were 7 years old when you started this series, you should be 20 years old by now and possibly in college. That means that you should be reading at a different level by now, eight books later.

I really appreciated that Mull took that route. With each book, he's taking
Bonnie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The hardest part about series as fantastic as this one, is you have to wait for the next installment. I have loved Seth and Kendra since the beginning of FABELHAVEN. DRAGONWATCH has continued the story so well. I was wrapped up in the story and couldn't put the book down. Ideas of how Seth would pull through swirled through my head. I couldn't figure out how Kendra was going find her brother. It felt like I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The sacrifices others made brought tears to ...more
Sophie
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m so happy with this book! The conclusion was satisfying but leaves you waiting for the next book!
Nay Denise
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received a copy for review from the publisher.

Definitely a great addition to the Dragonwatch series! I totally enjoyed revisiting this fantasy world with all it's new mythical creatures. Talking Octopus, somber wraiths, an evil unicorn and dragons. I'm here for it. The writing was just as action packed and intriguing as the other two books. I loved the writing of this book much more as well.

Seth and Kendra are still my favorite characters ever. I loved seeing their growth from books one to
Jane Potter
Cathy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brandon Mull writes amazing books! I love the fact that those books are enjoyed at least as much by parents as by the kids who also love to read them. Let’s just say that we have two much fought over copies of this book at our house.

This one opens where Dragonwatch: Wrath of the Dragon King leaves off. You’re going to want to be sure that you’ve read at least the first two Dragonwatch books first, and most likely the Fablehaven series as well. Don’t worry, though. They are easily read and so
Eileen
A definite winner! When I began this series, I wasn't sure that I liked it as much as the original Fablehaven series, but I thought Brandon Mull did a great job with this book. It can't be easy writing a book from the point of view of someone who has lost his memory of who he is--his entire identity. And yet, as we progress, we know that Seth has still retained his true essence. It's interesting how he rediscovers that even while he struggles with his dark powers and what he has done or not ...more
C.P. Cabaniss
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"She decided evil was most dangerous when operating with a smile."

This followup to the Fablehaven series has been just as good, if not better, than the originals. This third installment took me longer than expected to get through, but not because I didn't like it. It was emotionally hard hitting, after the events of the ending of Wrath of the Dragon King and that slowed me down.

There isn't a lot to say about this one without giving away spoilers for the previous books, but if you've read
buzy_reading
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The mission should these two young caretakers choose to accept it is for Kendra to save Seth and restore the sanctuary while Seth becomes indebted to the Underking. Kendra summons the help from magical creatures of the light while Seth draws help from the darkness.
The journey they began in Fablehaven helped establish skills and knowledge for new adventures in the dragon sanctuary.
Once again Kendra and Seth drew upon the magical creatures to aid in their adventures.
This is a character driven
Danielle
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5/5 stars

The fact that I was able to get an advanced copy of my most anticipated release of the year is still blowing my effing mind. I truly thought I was going to get rejected, yet here we are.

This, of course, was fantastic. I've read every single one of Brandon Mull's books and loved them all, so I never had any doubt in my mind that I would adore this, as well. It definitely did not pan out the way I expected it to, but that was a good thing. I definitely thought Seth was
Cathy
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"...evil was most dangerous when operating with a smile."

Book 3 of Dragonwatch, which means we're more than halfway through. This is simultaneously exciting and sad. I don't want it to end!

This was a really great installment. Book 2 ended on such a huge cliffhanger! I was excited to see how everything turned out, and I was not disappointed.

Mull has created such a beautiful and exciting world with Fablehaven and Dragonwatch, and I wish I could live in it forever! I really enjoyed seeing (briefly)
Aubrey
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Michele Everett
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I usually don't write reviews but I felt like I had to explain this rating. This genre is not my favorite. To be honest I mostly listened to this because of the talented reader. I was lost much of the time, but if you like this genre you will probably love this book.
Amelie
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom
Nov 10, 2019 added it
It's really obnoxious that the author and/or publisher wouldn't release the Kindle version of this until ~3 weeks after the hardcover. The annoyance from this somewhat overshadowed the merits of the book for me.
Kash
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-audible
Sarah Wright
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Fablehaven who have read the first two Dragonwatch books
4/5 stars — solidly entertaining and perfect for preteens

*contains spoilers for Fablehaven and the previous two Dragonwatch books!*

The third installment of the Dragonwatch series showcases everything Brandon Mull does best. From its silver-tongued antagonists to its clever plot, Master of the Phantom Isle is just what readers will expect from Seth and Kendra's latest adventure.

Characters: The Sorensen kids' paths diverge in this novel: Seth, missing his memories, is spirited away to the Phantom
Liam Turley
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm impressed with each Brandon Mull book that he manages to never run out of creativity and provide the reader with a fresh, fun and magically interesting experience. What a talented storyteller and worldbuilder he is. I especially love in this one we move on from Wyrmroost and frankly, move on from the major plot Wyrmroost is associated with. There's hardly any Celebrant present in this book, which I think is a breath of fresh air, but I'm still excited to return to his character and storyline ...more
Tonja Drecker
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy takes an edge-of-the-seat, roller coaster ride in this exciting adventure, which doesn't let up until the last page...and then, with the promise of more.

(Note: This can be read as a stand-alone, but I wouldn't recommend that. The story takes off where book two ended and without reading the rest of the series, much background information is missing, which makes this book that much more enjoyable)

Seth finds himself in the darkness of the Under Realm as the student of the dark unicorn.
Go
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the focus on Seth. Seth lost his identity and it was amazing the way he handled it despite his confusion. He was being manipulated by dark forces to perform tasks like freeing some undead captives. Yikes. A demon tells him: “You have perceived the darkness and cold within a wraith. You have darkness within you as well. It establishes a kinship with the undead. You can use it to hide, to extinguish fire, and to center yourself against fear.” Wow. While in the Under Realm, the dark unicorn ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Return of the Temujai (Brotherband Chronicles, #8)
  • Into the Flames (Fire and Steel #6)
  • Glass Slippers, Ever After, and Me
  • The Candy Cane Caper
  • The Lady and the Highwayman
  • Mistaken Reality
  • Apprentice Needed (Wizard for Hire, #2)
  • The Last Man at the Inn: One Man's Quest to Believe
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • The Heart of the Rebellion
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • Legacy (Keeper of the Lost Cities #8)
  • Paul, Big, and Small
  • Dragon Curse (The Unwanteds Quests, #4)
  • A Lady's Maid
  • Secrets and Suitors
  • Duel at Araluen (Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger #3)
  • Secrets Never Die
Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy ...more

Dragonwatch (3 books)
  • Dragonwatch (Dragonwatch, #1)
  • Wrath of the Dragon King (Dragonwatch, #2)