Start by marking “The Lady and the Highwayman” as Want to Read:
The Lady and the Highwayman

The Lady and the Highwayman

Elizabeth Black is the headmistress of a girls’ school and a well-respected author of “silver-fork” novels, stories written both for and about the upper-class ladies of Victorian society. But by night, she writes very different kinds of stories—the Penny Dreadfuls that are all the rage among the working-class men. Under the pseudonym Mr. King, Elizabeth has written about d ...more
Published September 3rd 2019 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about The Lady and the Highwayman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady and the Highwayman

Fran
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In 19th Century London, Penny Dreadfuls were "low-literature serials" featuring captivating stories of adventure, damsels in distress, criminals and monsters. For a "penny", laborers, tradesmen and children could purchase the newest weekly installment. Fletcher Walker grew up living the hardscrabble life of a street urchin. Only through a stroke of luck was he able to escape the desperate life he was leading where a street urchin could be beaten for walking slower than his master. Fletcher was n ...more
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
A FRESH NEW TAKE ON HISTORICAL ROMANCE!

When I started this book I was expecting just another run-of-the-mill historical romance novel. I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that this one actually stood out in numerous ways.

THE THINGS I LIKED

Chemistry: Historical romance has a tendency to be more about lust and physical attraction than actual romance. Sure, it can be amazing
Julie Carpenter
4.5*

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I picked this one up. I knew that I love pretty much anything/everything that I read from this author but this one was her first Victorian and a historical fiction. I found myself loving the style, especially the interspersed, "Penny Dreadfuls."

Now you're asking what are "Penny Dreadfuls?" Well, let me enlighten you. They were serial stories written for the lower classes and cost a penny. A way for many to be able to enjoy reading a story affordabl
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
It is always, always, a pleasure to read Sarah Eden's books. She has a remarkable gift for crafting a story that wraps itself around my heart. I think what I love the most is how she takes the dark, hard and difficult circumstances of life and balances that with hope through a few good people trying to make a difference. That, in turn, gives me hope. I've been a bit heartsick lately for how difficult and cruel this world is. The future doesn't always look so bright and I've been trying to remin ...more
Melissa
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a little worried when I started this story. You quickly come to find out the two main characters are writers. You basically get 3 stories in one with this book:} I wasn't sure this was going to work but it did and very well. You learned a lot about Fletcher from his stories. The way she twines Elizabeth's story around their own story is awesome. I loved this one. It is probably one of my favorite Eden's It had a light feel and a good mystery and romance! So much fun to read!
Joanna Loves Reading
This was my first time trying Sarah Eden’s books, and I thought there was several aspects that were enjoyable and interesting about this read. There was one aspect that was not, and it took away from some of the enjoyable bits, in my opinion.

This novel featured penny dreadful serialists who are part of a secret society to aid the poor. The members are growing concerned at the growing popularity of a new and mysterious writer called Mr. King. If this new writer takes too much readership, the soc
Lucinda
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting premise for a Victorian novel.

What stood out to me the most was the setting and the characters. The setting is very realistic in the way it depicts the social issues, especially those of children.

Both Elizabeth and Fletcher try to do what they can to alleviate the conditions of children; she with the school for girls and he with saving street urchins. For Fletcher, it's more personal since he was one of those children. but he's moved past that and uses the money from the sales of
QNPoohBear
Thank you, thank you NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for allowing me to read this uncorrected proof e-ARC. All opinions expressed in the review are my own.

Fletcher Walker's origins are a bit of a mystery. To say he has risen from humble beginnings would be an understatement. He was picking pockets by age 4 and at age 10 swaggered into a ragged school where he received the education that matched his drive to succeed. Now a successful author of "penny dreadfuls," Fletcher and his fellow p
Jen
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bea-2019, arc
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 ⭐
It’s always something special to read about writers and romance. *Sigh* I inhaled them and watch how crucial it was to be a productive writer and how sometimes people have to hide who they are to be taken seriously or without due respect. This to me was a very important part of this story.

The other part was about the streets of London.....poverty, crime and the needs and rescue of some of the misfortunate children. It was great and quite an adventure.
Things I loved:
• The Dread Penny Soc
Jacey
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The title is a bit misleading. This isn't about a lady or a highwayman, but about a pair of Victorian writers. Fletcher Walker is reasonably affluent, but he's dragged himself up from the gutter by his bootstraps. His mission now (along with friends in the Dread Penny Society) is to support a 'ragged' school for the poorest children, and also to rescue some of the badly treated ones and send them to that school. He finances this from the proceeds of writing 'penny dreadfuls' but just lately a ne ...more
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Miss Elizabeth Black is headmistress at a girls' school in London and a well-known writer of silver-fork novels. She has a secret though, she also an extremely popular novel of Penny Dreadfuls under the nom de plum of Mr. King. The stories she produces under her nom de plum are her escspe from her dull day-to-day life and are a secret which, if discovered, will destroy her standing among the upper-class and her position as headmistress.

At a small gathering she makes the acquaintance of Fletcher
Susan K
Romance, clean; period
This was a gorgeous read. I loved the setting, the two stories within the stories, the romance between Fletcher and Elizabeth. The children (urchins) and the society along with the stories behind it all (including Fletcher's back story). Varied and interesting characters, and the tension, the wishing and wanting on both Elizabeth and Fletcher's parts, made this a interesting and fun, unique read.
Elizabeth and Fletcher's story and their fall was lovely, they were both hones
Jessica (BookObsessedJess)
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, arcs
The Lady and the Highwayman is a story about Miss Elizabeth Black and Fletcher Walker. Elizabeth is an author of both Penny Dreadfuls, using the pseudonym Mr. King, and silver-fork novels (aka "proper" books). Not to mention she runs an all girls school for those of the middle class. Fletcher is the leader of the underground Dread Penny Society and (SURPRISE!) also writes Penny Dreadfuls.

This story was quite unique in it's writing style. It contains 2 POV's, as well as chapters of each of our MC
Davida Chazan
For anyone looking for a fun, historical fiction novel that has just a touch of romance, and even some, adventure, fantasy and horror elements, Sarah M. Eden’s latest novel “The Lady and the Highwayman” set in Victorian London might be just the thing for you. If that sounds interesting, I hope you’ll read my latest #bookreview on my blog now. https://tcl-bookreviews.com/2019/09/0...
Mary
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Black is a respectable lady writing classy silver-fork novels while running a school for girls. She most certainly would not be caught enjoying or endorsing those lowbrow penny dreadfuls, or at least that's what the patrons of her school would expect. Little do they know, Elizabeth moonlights as Mr. King, a rising star in the penny dreadful publishing world. Her hidden success brings Fletcher Walker, another penny dreadful author, into her path as he searches for the whereabouts of the ...more
Tessa
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish Goodreads allowed me the option to give more than 5 stars because oh my gosh I loved this novel! This may be some of Sarah Eden's best work! The characters were fun, but with real life problems. The romance was a slow burn full of witty remarks while facing real danger. I learned more about the Victorian time period and so appreciated the language nuances from that time. Wow this was such a joy to read and I can't wait to recommend it to everyone I know!

Chesney
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was quite surprised by this one! It’s set in the Victorian era which is so different from Sarah’s other novels. Elizabeth and Fletcher who come from two different backgrounds are both writers. Snippets from their stories are weaved into the main storyline sharing a glimpse of their writing talent. This has the suspense, the romance, and the life of what was like to be an urchin living on the streets during this time. Enjoyable read.
4 Stars

Full review on my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgjOl...
Becky
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I found this story rather fun and unique. Our heroine, Elizabeth, writes novels for the upper classes of society by day. In secret, she likes to write the "penny dreadful" novels so loved by the lower classes. Our hero, Fletcher Walker, comes from from the lower dregs of London and also writes penny dreadful novels. He belongs to the Dread Penny Society, a wonderful group of people pledging to better the lives of who they can, protect what they can of the lower class, and fight for the rights of ...more
Lucy Gardiner
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The Lady & the highwayman is a historical romance set in 1865 London.

The main characters are Fletcher walker who used to be a street urchin now is a successful writer and is in dreadful penny society which put me in mind of a Robin Hood type gang of men who advocate for the poor. Then we have Elizabeth Black she is the head teacher at all girls school is Mr King secretly fletchers biggest rival author.

I thought this was a nice take on historical romance, the chemistry between Fletcher and
Shauna
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love it when authors write about authors. It is interesting to see the insights they have and how they portray another writer. Not only does this book give you the background stories of two authors, it also gives you the installments of the stories they were creating- a delightful twist. Sarah M. Eden is a brilliant writer! LOVED IT!
Rohma
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me just say that I absolutely love the hero/heroine writing under a pseudonym. And if it's something as horrid as a Gothic novel or a Penny Dreadful, I love it even more!

“A lady in her position could be respected or she could be adventurous. What she could not be was both.”

“Mr. Walker dabbles in the . . . less refined areas of, well, I dare not say ‘literature.’”“Why?” Mr. Walker asked. “Is it too difficult for you to pronounce?”

Miss Elizabeth Black is the prim and proper headmistress of Thu
Ashley
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a unique historical romance and I enjoyed every minute of it!

I loved the characters of Elizabeth and Fletcher and especially loved that this novel did not only focus on those in the upper class and aristocracy. Showing where our hero Fletcher came from and what he has accomplished only added to his character and made me love him even more. Elizabeth was everything a good heroine should be, strong, brave, smart and witty. She gave all of the gentlemen in the book a run for their mo
Sara
What made me request an ARC for this book was the cover (obviously) and the synopsis. Then I read the first sentence -
"Rumour had it, Fletcher Walker wasn't born but had simply appeared one day, swaggering down the streets of London." - and my mind immediately went "Kaz, is that you?" (Pshh, after reading about Fletcher he's more likely Kaz's goody-two-shoes cousin.)

I love historical fiction that is placed in Victorian England. Those times really intrigue me; all those ghost stories, devilish ge
Erin Arkin
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
The Lady and the Highwayman by Sarah Eden was a great, quick read. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it, and it had everything I was looking for in a read.

Elizabeth Black is the headmistress of a girl’s school and also the author of well-respected “silver fork” novels but she has a secret she can’t share with anyone or risk the fate of her school. Her big secret is that she also happens to be Mr. King, the newly famous author of the Penny Dreadfuls that are all the rage among the working-class
Kim Castellano
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
In June, I attended BookCon 2019 for the first time and received an advance reader’s copy (ARC) of The Lady and the Highwayman by Sarah M. Eden, an award-winning author of historical romances. I have not read a historical romance in some time, but something about the cover of this book caught my attention and I knew I had to read it. Luckily, the gentleman from Shadow Mountain Publishing saw the desperation in my eyes and gave me the book in exchange for my review. So, here it is at long last, ...more
Ashley Weston
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Get up and leave in a huff,dear,” Fletcher said quickly and low to Elizabeth...
She understood. She moved away from him as if suddenly disgusted, and stood up. With a glare and a spin, she all but stormed to the door.
She heard Fletcher sign behind her and say, “Guess I’d best go make up sweet to the bird, else it’ll be the suds for me.”
He caught up to her on the walk by too far from the pub. He made a show of apologizing for an imagined argument. They turned a corner, then another.
Then, they
Janet
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Black is the headmistress of a girls’ school in 1830s Victorian London. She is also a well-respected author of ”silver-fork” novels, stories written both for and about the upper-class ladies of Victorian society. But by night, she writes very different kinds of stories--the Penny Dreadfuls that are all the rage among the working-class men, under the pseudonym of Charles King.
Fletcher Walker began life as a street urchin, but is now the most successful author in the Penny Dreadful marke
Phyllis
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful romp in Victorian England

What a delightful story!

I had so much fun reading The Lady and the Highwayman! While the concept isn't entirely new, I loved the way author Sarah M. Eden executed it, going between Elizabeth's story, then Fletcher's, then a chapter of her novel, then one of his. Instead of making the story feel disjointed and confusing, the inserted narratives added a level of interest and were woven into the events that were taking place as well.

One of the reasons this was
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »