Start by marking “Promised” as Want to Read:

Promised

Margaret Brinton keeps her promises, and the one she is most determined to keep is the promise to protect her heart.

Warwickshire, England, 1812

Expected publication: February 18th 2020 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Promised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promised

Start your review of Promised
Deb Stevens
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honest review of ARC. Like Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLean, Eloisa James, but clean.

I read a lot of romance, both clean and otherwise, in any genre I can consume it in. Historical, contemporary, fantasy, adult, young adult—yes—I eat it all.

But. I’m very picky. If I’m not genuinely engaged within the first three chapters, I just don’t have the time. So, it must have either an interesting story idea, character interaction that pulls at my heartstrings, or witty anything. If an author can get me to laugh
Christina
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book definitely caught my interest and held it. As Regency romances go, it was one of the best I’ve read in some time. I adored the characters, the plot kept me wondering as it kept going in unforeseen directions, and the ending left me sighing in contentment.

Margaret , the protagonist, had such a strong voice and it was easy to love her and understand her perspective. From the very beginning there is an intricate plot that unfolds and not until the climax do you (and Margaret) understand
Melissa Tagg
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my verrrrry favorite things as a reader is discovering a new author with a pitch-perfect writing voice...and I found that in this novel. I loooooved the writing! The first-person perspective is fresh and witty, the banter and romance is swoony and the characters are so likable. I look forward to reading more from Leah Garriott!

*Book provided by the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions are my own
Dee/ bookworm
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-2019
#Promised #NetGalley

Pride and Prejudice with a twist. I cannot tell you what an honor it was to read this phenomenal book! It was so good! This is definitely one of my favorites this year. While I do like Austen, this book has easier ebb and flow. I think this a book is one you can read again and again!

Thank you to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for the ARC in exchange for a fair review. The ideas and thoughts are my own.
Elodie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Proper Romance
Leah Garriott
Release date 02/18/2020
Publisher Shadow Mountain

Blurb

Fooled by love once before, Margaret vows never to be played the fool again. To keep her vow, she attends a notorious matchmaking party intent on securing the perfect marital match: a union of convenience to someone who could never affect her heart. She discovers a man who exceeds all her
Jana
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun to read! I had a hard time putting it down. The characters were engaging and had more depth than other romantic novels I've read. The story kept moving throughout the entire book and had unexpected twisted and turns. I'm excited to read it again when it comes out in a couple months! I've already pre-ordered it!
Kathy Jo
Margaret has been hurt by love in the past and has sworn that a marriage of convenience is the only way to protect her heart from being hurt again.

While attending a matchmaking party, she meets Mr. Northam and decides he’s the perfect gentleman for her marriage plan. But she soon discovers that Lord Gregory Williams is against the match. He sets his own plan in motion to protect Margaret.

However, Margaret is done being “protected”. She wants what she wants, and no one will stop her from getting
Lyssa
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I loved this story. The strongest thing about it was something I have been searching for for ages: one point of view. I loved that this story was only told through the eyes of Margaret. Add Lord Williams arrogance and occasional coldness and you have understandable suspicion, frustration and a need to protect oneself. This made the story, the characters' emotions and actions, make sense in a way that many similar novels fall short.

Some of the scenes had me laughing out loud and some had me
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I loved this debut novel and I can’t wait to read another story from her. It was a clean romance and I loved the characters.
Margaret was a strong willed, stubborn thing and Gregory was well mannered and determined. Parts of this story made me crazy because Margaret just didn’t know what she wanted.
It had heartache, romance and HEA.
I recommend this book and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

This was a NETGALLEY gift and all opinions are my own.
Cheryl
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have found a new author to love. Promised is a Jane Austin style historical fiction. Great depth to the characters kept me guessing and laughing. Plenty of twists to keep me reading till way to late at night. Imperfect characters learning from their mistakes as they become more self-aware. Can't wait for more!
Cassidy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put it down! Loved it from the first page until the last page and have already read it for a second time. I love a good enemies to lovers storyline and Promised is just that!
Margaret is afraid to put her heart out there again and thinks the safest solution is a marriage of convenience. Lord Williams comes along and interrupts these plans much to her dismay.
It was a delight to watch this story play out. Margaret does her best to try to frighten off her intended while battling the
Amy Baird
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I stayed up all night because I couldn't put it down. A matchmaking weekend. 2 possible suitors: a rake and a gentleman. An arranged engagement. A cherished lake about to be drained. Secrets revealed. This book has it all. I was utterly enamored with Promised. It is a divinely satisfying romance with a fun new twist. One of my favorite Proper Romances books.

I won this as part of a social media giveaway.
Valarie
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun, well written story! It is very hard to put down especially when you're waiting to see how some things will play out so don't try and read it right before bed thinking you can put it down.... might be up till 2 a.m.
Melanie
Margaret’s heart has been broken in the past so she attends a matchmaking party and is drawn to Mr. Northam, a known rake. His cousin, Lord Williams, starts to interfere, which annoys her. Things only get more frustrating for her after that weekend and she needs to figure out what kind of man she really wants.

I loved everything about this book--the setting, the characters, the interactions between Margaret and Lord Williams (really, interactions between all of the characters), and the pace of
Lisa
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What’s beautiful story! Being snubbed in love is rough, but being being taken advantage of twice is intolerable! Margaret took it like a woman who is worth it. This book was so fun and had me rooting for two awesome characters! Great work Ms Garriott! Thank you!
Lavern Lindberg
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Margaret Brinton has decided she will not marry someone who could break her heart. She's been through that before when her betrothed admitted he was only marrying her because his father told him he would be cut off if he refused to marry her and that he planned to have mistresses after they were married. She believes she has found the perfect candidate (Mr. Northam), but his cousin, Lord Williams, keeps getting in the way! Yes, she knows Mr. Northam will not be faithful, but she doesn't care if ...more
Melanie
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from Net Galley. This book was incredible. I haven't read a proper romance that was written so beautifully in a long time. Leah had a very unique way for you to feel what the characters were feeling and to keep the book intriguing. I highly recommend this book a a 2020 read.
Ilima
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a perfect addition to the Proper Romance series! The story and setting were wonderful, and I just adored all of the characters, even the quirky and not-so-nice ones. The writing itself was beautiful, and I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. Highly recommended!
Brandi
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-read
An absolute MUST read for all regency fans! There are times I read a regency romance and can appreciate all the references to make it authentic; and then there are times I can read a regency romance and feel transported. I was transported to Warwickshire, England. The matchmaking party and the subsequent fall out, the forced interactions and witty banter between Margaret and Lord Williams drew me in from page one. Reminiscent of Pride and Prejudice, both Margaret and Lord Williams are resolute ...more
Cassie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful! This book was so hard to put down!
Cim
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow. This book is special. Although, I will admit- it took a while to pull me in, the sneaky thing. By 35% I was more than a little intrigued. By 50% I was all in, refusing to get up until reading the last sentence. The author's writing style was very comfortable and well-paced, with descriptions vivid enough for me to picture each scene, but without being overdone and prosy.

Parts of the story felt familiar - Lord Williams reminds me more than a little of Matthew Macfadyen's Mr. Darcy. Aloof yet
Donna
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I've read by this author, but definitely will not be the last!
I loved the characters and felt an immediate connection to the story.
Margaret, having gone through a heartbreaking break up, is not looking for a love match while attending a house party given by a friend of the family. She meets two cousins, Lord Williams and Mr. Northam. She decides the latter is the better bet as he is a rake and she will not fall for him. Lord Williams, on the other hand, stirs feelings
Maria Thomas
I enjoyed this story with all its little twists along the way. I couldn't predict how the happily ever after would come about. I got a good way into the story and wondered to myself where the author was going to take the story line. I knew something had to happen but I had no idea what. I'm always intrigued when I can't predict the story.

I don't usually care for books written in first person but this totally worked for me. I was dying to know what was going on in Gregory's head but as a reader
Ashley
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE this book! It is incredibly charming, romantic, witty, and lovely! Every time I picked up "Promised", I felt like I was whisked back in time to the Regency Era.

Throughout the book, I felt extremely connected to the characters, and could feel what they were feeling and going through. Ms. Garriott writes in a way that all of the characters' interactions felt extremely real and authentic, vivid, and beautifully true to the era as well as their individual personalities. I found
Leslie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was interested in the description of the book and thought the cover was lovely. Garriott's debut novel was really fun. I loved how it starts at a match-matching party.

Margaret has given up on love and is set to a loveless, marriage of convenience, knowing she won't be hurt again. She has her sights set on the rake Mr. Northam. He checks every item off of her list but his cousin, Lord Williams won't let her. Williams thinks he knows what's best for Margaret and one thing you only need to learn
Melissa
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
"As he tied the bow, he leaned toward me and whispered, "It appears I need to teach you the waltz in private, to ensure we are not interrupted again." He moved back to my side and again placed my hand on his arm smiling suggestively. Excitement shivered through me. "I believe that his a very good idea."

This book is a must read for any Jane Austen fan. It hits all of the right notes from Pride & Prejudice with enough new spin to make it it's own special book. I think Leah Garriott did an
Emily Flynn
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's not easy to overcome a broken heart. It's probably more difficult in a society where women don't have many options outside marriage. Promised is a story about Margaret's foray into this dilemma. Our poor heroine feels jaded in love after the one she was supposed to marry turned out to be a rake of the worst sort. Her solution find a rake that she can marry without giving him her heart. This becomes increasingly difficult after meeting Lord Williams and his cousin Mr. Northam at a house ...more
Kathy
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely incredible! Gregory was so romantic he had me in love with him right from when He walked out of Margaret's piano performance. You could feel the heat he had for her right from the very start. Superbly written with character development on point! There is not a single negative thing I could say about this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the romance genre without any hesitation.

I received an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I would
Patti Wolff
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Promised" is the lovely debut novel by Leah Garriott. Once bitten, twice shy Margaret Brinton decides to secure her future by attending a matchmaking house party. Her plans for a marriage of convenience with Fredrick Northam are quickly thwarted by his cousin, Lord Gregory Williams.

Lord Williams's original intention for his proposal was not clear to me and when it's finally revealed, it was an unwelcome surprise. However, the last part of the book is SO romantic and heartfelt that this 4-star
Amy Mannette
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Promised by Leah Garriott is the best romance novel I have read in a long time. Margaret Brinton is a woman who has been hurt by love and thinks she has figured out a plan to avoid further hurt in the future. However, Gregory Williams has differnt plans for her. Garriott creates a depth of character with Margaret that allows you to feel Margarets pain and hope in equal measure. Wonderful debut novel! Garriott will most be added to my must read list in the future.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lakeshire Park
  • Secrets and Suitors
  • Rakes and Roses (Mayfield Family #3)
  • All Hearts Come Home for Christmas
  • Kit and Elizabeth
  • The Heart of the Rebellion
  • Adoring Abigail
  • Glass Slippers, Ever After, and Me
  • To Con a Gentleman
  • Miss Adeline's Match
  • Love in Disguise
  • Goodwill for the Gentleman (Belles of Christmas, #2)
  • Daisies and Devotion (Mayfield Family, #2)
  • The Milkman's Son: A Memoir of Family History, a DNA Mystery, and a Story of Paternal Love
  • Beauty and the Baron (Forever After Retellings, #1)
  • God Rest Ye Merry Spinster (The Spinster Chronicles, Book 5)
  • The Lady in the Coppergate Tower (Steampunk Proper Romance #3)
  • Rescuing Lord Inglewood (Inglewood #1)
Though she earned degrees in math and statistics, Leah Garriott lives for a good love story. She's resided in Hawaii and Italy, walked the countryside of England, and owns every mainstream movie version of Pride and Prejudice. She's currently living her own happily ever after in Utah with her husband and three kids. Leah is represented by Sharon Pelletier at Dystel, Goderich, and Bourret. You can ...more