Start by marking “Sofia Valdez, Future Prez” as Want to Read:
Sofia Valdez, Future Prez

Sofia Valdez, Future Prez

(Questioneers Picture Books)

The newest picture book from the creators of Iggy Peck, Architect; Rosie Revere, Engineer; and Ada Twist, Scientist stars Sofia Valdez, a community leader who stands up for what she believes in!

Every morning, Abuelo walks Sofia to school . . . until one day, when Abuelo hurts his ankle at a local landfill and he can no longer do so. Sofia misses her Abuelo and wonders
Published November 5th 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

Start your review of Sofia Valdez, Future Prez
Amy
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this book, but I only liked it. The story in and of itself is lovely, particularly Sofia and Abuelo, but the connection to the title is made only at the very end and seems a bit more of an afterthought rather than a statement to drive the story--and with a title like that, I expected it to be more of a force or theme of the book. I don't like to compare, but I can't help but think that I enjoyed Rosie Revere a bit more.
Chelka Posladek
WHAT DID THEY DO WITH THE TRASH???? When Sofia & her abuelo come across the giant, dangerous landfill, I assumed they were going to do something about it. Their answer, though, is to build a new park. It's never straight up said that they replace the trash pile with a park. And if that is what they do, where did they move the trash? I love the idea of people getting rid of landfills, but it doesn't change the fact that we still make trash, and our garbage has to go SOMEWHERE. Do they ship ...more
Lata
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these positive and inspiring stories with their whimsical illustrations, and how kids from one book show up in the background or participate in the activities in the current book.
Panda Incognito
Preachy, unrealistic, and disappointing. And, as another reviewer already pointed out, what did the town do with the giant pile of trash that just disappears by the end?? This is a message book, not a well-developed story.
Mimi.Y
Great series but what did they do with all that garbage? Love that they was protesting for a park but where did the trash go?
Stefanie Molinaro
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I especially loved all of Sofia's Sade posters!
Austria Kovalenko
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my favourite of the series - but still a good story. I think the others had a more childlike imagination to the character's. This one has the child character, with a strong backstory, but there seems to be a secondary force coming out of this whole book. It's one of those 'let's show the adults that even kids can be adult-like'.
The more I think about it, if I had a child like Sofia then I'd help her bring out that strength in her - probably in the same way as this book pushed it - but I'd
LauraW
I have read several of the other books in this series, and have been a bit ambivalent about them. This one, however, I found I liked a lot better. The ways in which the child is helpful and proactive are mostly appropriate to a 2nd grader. It wasn't about making a big deal about some future nebulous (and a bit unrealistic) goal, but rather about things that real kids could potentially do. Sure, it has the tag-line of "Future Prez", but that is more in the spirit of "you can do anything", rather ...more
Nancy Kotkin
A rhyming picture book about being courageous to help others and your community. The child-grandparent relationship is touching.

The title is a stretch since Sofia is a young community organizer, not a politician-in-the-making. (I used to be a community organizer myself and it isn't training to become president; the skill sets required are actually rather different.) The "future prez" is only a mention tacked on at the end because it rhymes with "Valdez."
Kelly
I liked the story a lot. A young girl takes action when her Abuelo gets injured on a pile of junk. The only thing holding me back from giving this book 4 stars is the title; it is briefly mentioned at the end. I think that it would have meant more to me (personally) if the title reflected the girl's activism, not just trying to continue the series with a cute title.
Nikki
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Rosie Revere, Engineer is my favorite book in this series, but Sofia Valdez ranks high up there too. Such a great book!
Chance Lee
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
A valuable and important message about social organization paired with the stunning illustrations I expect from David Roberts. The poetry doesn't flow as well as I'd hoped here. Little details, like a statue of Ida B. Wells, add to the atmosphere and themes of the story. Sofia for Prez 2048!
Karrie
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Purpose in mind - check, but told with humour charm, rhyme, something for the adults and illustrations you can keep finding things in.

My favourite line “most people like good, but Sofia likes better”.
Guilherme Semionato
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This collection is actually quite nice. I'm glad it was translated to Portuguese.
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the character Sofia and the theme of the book.
Lynn
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Community Engagement

Sofia Valdez wants to get rid of a dump in her neighborhood and open up a park instead. She learns to go to her local politicians and lobby for a park. She then learns the process to get support and finding. A nice book.
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
A great addition to Beaty’s Rosie Revere series. Strong woman getting things done. It’s too long for a Storytime, but perfect for parents to read with/to their kids.
Melinda Beatty
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite of Beaty's wonderful rhyming picture books! A fantastic tale about how one person can change their community for the good.
Melanie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was terrific! My favorite so far of the series. I had pre-ordered this and forgotten about it by the time it arrived. About a week later, I read it to my 7 y.o. granddaughter, who loves Rosie Revere, Iggy Peck, but Ada Twist, not so much. Sofia, a sweet soul and a helper, has to figure out how to make something happen—and that it takes more than one person to do it. There’s nothing magical here (except for an adult bureaucrat listening to a child’s idea), just the hard work and many people ...more
paula
We think the girl in the pink coveralls is going to be the next questioneer. What will she be? Astronaut? Sculptor? We can't wait!
Jezire C Akin
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this series of books is absolutely my favorite. I read the first few when teaching second grade and all of the characters are in grade 2. I currently teach 3rd and 4th grade but could see a lot of good connections to make with students in these books. They just have so many great examples of sentences that would be perfect to use for grammar while also having such a great message.
Lian
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was achingly tough to give this book 3 stars, because I love the previous books by this talented duo. This latest in the series is a little disappointing. Beaty’s normally infallible rhyming text repeatedly falters and occasionally becomes laborious and repetitive. Roberts’ illustrations are superb but lack the pizazz and detail of the previous books. But most of all, sweet Sofia feels less fleshed out and savvy than the other books celebrating her classmates. There’s just something missing ...more
Baby Bookworm
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is Sofia Valdez, Future Prez, written by Andrea Beaty and illustrated by David Roberts, the fourth inspiring character to emerge from the pair’s phenomenal Questioneers series.

Even when she was a baby, Sofia liked to get things done, especially when she was helping others. As she grew, she and her abuelo would head out every week to help the elderly people of their community; there was no public space for them to gather, so most spent their time home alone. As
Diane
“A dreamer. A doer. A real-life go getter. Most people like good, but Sofia liked better.”

After her abuelo injures himself chasing their dog over a mountain of junk (Mt. Trashmore), Sofia is determined to have that mountain turned into a public park. She goes to her neighbors with her idea and everyone has suggestions, but no one seems to want to help her. “They all thought Sofia could build it alone! But how could one girl do so much on her own?”

She heads off to City Hall to plead her case.
Martha
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second grader Sofia is "a doer" always helping people out with her Abuelo, delivering groceries, running dogs, raking leaves, or just dropping by when an elderly friend needs to talk and she a treat. One day however this all changed, while Abuelo walked a dog, he stumbled over "Mount Trashmore," a sloppy landfill. While her Abuelo was recovering, Sofia knew what she had to do. The "real life go getter" became Sofia the activist. After hearing her neigbors tell her what needed to be done to build ...more
Lisa
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sofia is a helper - she sees something that needs to get done, and she gets busy. One day, on a walk with Abuelo, her dog gets away and Abuelo hurts his ankle after chasing it through some trash. Sofia decides to clean up the trash and build the park, but she's just in 2nd grade and will certainly need some help. Everyone has lots of ideas, but it takes some courage on Sophie's part to get the grownups working on a solution.

Part of the Questioneers series (Iggy Peck, Architect; Ada Twist,
Taneka
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did not think they could come up with another book for this series. Well, I don't think it is a series, but I am calling it one anyway, but glad to see it on the shelf. Had to pick it up, because I don't like to half do things. I ordered Iggy Peck, Architect, Rosie Revere, Engineer, and Ada Twist, Scientist for my library and I am glad to add this one as well.
Jeannie
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sofia Valdez is a spunky girls who has always helped others through the influence of her abuelo. When she and abuelo come across a dangerously landfill, they hope to make a community park. Like the Little Red Hen story, everyone agrees with Sofia, but o one steps up to help. Sofia is on her own. She is nervous and goes to city hall where she is shuttled from department to department. Finally a friendly clerk takes her side. She looks the mayor n the eye and pleads her case. She starts a ...more
Bethany Felker
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: multicultural
Grad Class Assignment

Text-to-Text: It was said in a few of the other reviews too, but I noticed that this book goes hand in hand with the other books in the series. I noticed that some of the characters also showed up as background characters in some of the pictures as well.

Text-to-Self: When I was younger, I was a part of the Girl Scouts. In my troop, we would pick an issue and try to help change it for the better. It reminded me of what Sofia was trying to do when her Abuelo got injured on
Villain E
This is interesting. Moreso than the other books in this series, this is a story with a beginning, middle and end. Sofia Valdez's grandfather trips in the town dump and hurts himself. Sofia becomes an activist, petitioning the city to turn the dump into a park. (So, the basically the same plot as the first episode of Parks and Recreation.) Sofia gets some support, goes through some pitfalls and ultimately gets the park made.

The bit about her becoming President is a tacked-on line on the last
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party
  • Kevin the Unicorn: It's Not All Rainbows
  • I Am Love: A Book of Compassion
  • Reading Beauty
  • Who is the Mystery Reader? (Unlimited Squirrels, #2)
  • This Is Not That Kind of Book
For more information, visit my website (www.AndreaBeaty.com).

Also, visit www.Questioneers.com for posters, activities, educator resources, and other information about the Questioneer books.

Further, check out Story Time From Space to see Ada Twist and Rosie Revere read at the International Space Station by astronauts! It’s out of this world.

Questioneers Picture Books (4 books)
  • Rosie Revere, Engineer