Start by marking “Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined” as Want to Read:
Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined

Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined

(Magnificent Ms. Marvel #1)

Ms. Marvel is back - and she's magnificent! But there's no such thing as business as usual in Jersey City. Aliens are wreaking havoc in Kamala's corner of the world, and they seem weirdly interested in Ms. Marvel...and her family! Kamala is about to face a devastating loss - but with an alien invasion ravaging her neighborhood, she's not going to have much time to grieve. ...more
Published October 29th 2019 by Marvel

Start your review of Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined
Scott
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
"I've learned that sometimes, in the face of change, you just have to . . . ADAPT." -- Kamala 'Ms. Marvel' Khan

The above quote demonstrates a suggestion that I'm having a difficult time following -- i.e., I miss having writer G. Willow Wilson at the helm of this series. While I readily agree with the rear cover's promotional line that "Ms. Marvel is back - and she's magnificent!" - because Khan happens to be my favorite of the newer characters in the Marvel Comics line-up (and Minkyu Jung is no
halfirishgrin
Kamala Khan's parents insisting on going along with her to save a planet is the most desi thing ever tbh.
Paul E. Morph
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
(view spoiler)

Despite this rather blatant... let's be generous and call it a homage... I really enjoyed this first volume in the new reboo
Tiago
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More goodness by Saladin Ahmed, I'm a sucker for space adventures and this was a damn near perfect story arc for Ms. Marvel, with equally good art. I hated the way Marvel forced this new wave of all-new all-different superheroes into the Avengers without them ever breaking a sweat, hell Spider-Man only made it into the team in the 90s, felt cheap and forced as hell and I couldn't care less about them back then. I think its on their own solo books where they can shine and earn their place in the ...more
James DeSantis
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm convinced Ahmed should helm all the teen heroes because he does such a good job.

With Ms. Marvel trying to live her life as a superhero and a normal teen, she hits a crossroads. Her father finds out she's a superhero and as expected it doesn't go well. On top of that she's dealing with such bent up frustration in her love life. But now she's transported to a new world because she might be the only hope they have to survive. What will she choose?

This volume's main plot is the least interesti
Jenny
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Kamala. She’s one of my favorite Marvel superheroes, and I’m always interested in her story. I found this first issue of a new run really entertaining. I love the style and the story. Great characters, plot, and concept. The ending is a huge cliffhanger. Kamala is a believable teenager and has great superhero characteristics. I’m going to enjoy this series!
Definitely recommended.
Rod Brown
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
An almost okay volume that doesn't quite justify the continuation of the series. A lot of this seems like a rehashed Spider-Man plotline (view spoiler). I liked Kamala's parents acting as chaperones for the adventure, and the added humor and drama of their presence started to pull me into the book, but they are frequently sidelined and then a stupid twist ending undercuts their participation entirely.

I'm not
Baba
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
On paper it was a tough call taking over from Wilson and co. but in reality Wilson and co. had lost their magic on this book and it was time for a change.

Ahmed does a good job kicking off his run, by starting Kamala's next steps in New Jersey facing Deathbringer. The book goes on to, with some nice humorous touches as well as angst, see an Ex-Avenger, ex-Champion, go on a mission with somer very unlikely travel companions! Definitely captures the sense and feel of the first few volumes... the fu
P D
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I have zero interest in the Marvel universe (seriously, respect to people who can keep track of it!) but I'm 100% here for Ammi refusing to let some strange boy touch Kamala's arm, and Abu calling said boy - who's also a hero on his planet - a beimann ladka. My family is Hindi, not Urdu, speaking but this is all very, very relatable stuff.

I do wish they hadn't gone with that direction at the end of the main arc - I totally understand why, in that it would basically have created like 40 books
TJ
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wow! I was worried that Ms. Marvel would suffer from changing writers, but I feel more intrigued in the title now than I have for a while. This story was totally different from anything we’ve seen in the title before, and it just felt fresh. It’s a perfect mixture of action and emotion, personal and hero stakes. 5/5 stars and I can’t wait to see what stories are in store next!
anya
This volume had some heavy content. Ahmed did a really good job of picking up where Wilson left off in terms of style and character arcs, in my opinion, but one thing I did miss was the crew of friends which Kamala had accumulated by the end of the tenth volume. There was a very heavy emphasis on family in this one, which I appreciated a lot and somewhat made up for the lack of her friend group.
Kamala's witty remarks in battle remind me so much of Buffy, and I love it:) Kamala is such a great ch
Miranda
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-manga, library
Saladin Ahmed is one of the few authors who made the switch from novel prose to comic script writing really, really well. The others I've read have been... let's say, verbose. (The other was Seanan McGuire.)

This was so good. Even though I'm iffy on the new costume so far. The lightning bolt is so bulky, you guys, it's really distracting from everything else I love about the new look. The art is very pretty, otherwise, though.
Oneirosophos
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That was surprisingly awesome!

The previous run was one of my favorites Marvel reads the second half of this decade and I was worried when I learnt about the new writer.

Saladin Ahmed, you do awesome job. Keep 'em coming!!! :)
Bonnie McDaniel
This is a reboot of sorts, but it's a very soft one--G. Willow Wilson has apparently moved on to writing Wonder Woman, and she handpicked Saladin Ahmed to take her place. Thankfully, there is no rewriting of Kamala's origin story: we just continue with the characters and the torch is passed.

It soon became evident that Kamala is in good hands, however. This particular storyline wasn't so much "high school" or even Jersey City--most of it takes place on the planet Saffa, where Kamala has been sco
Jessamyn Leigh
Less my jam than usual, but I've never liked comic space adventures...we'll see how this new run goes
Malex
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: g-graphic-series
I loved what G. Willow Wilson did for 5 years with Ms. Marvel so I was a bit anxious to start a new run but this is really good! It's fresh and different but it still feels like the Kamala we know ❤
Sophia
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very excited for more Kamala Khan, though this volume felt a bit rushed, especially in the beginning. But Ammi and Abu in space?? Excellent. Will definitely keep reading.
Dan
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
New writer and new costume with a story to introduce new look. Nothing too exciting....
Autumn Chrunik
Loved this so much and I need to add it to my collection ASAP.
Alex Sarll
Willow Wilson co-created Ms Marvel, and made what could easily have been a commendable but cancelled-at-issue-8 series about Marvel's first big American Muslim hero into a huge success. Meaning that when she did finally wrap up her run, she was always going to be a tough act to follow. Still, Saladin Ahmed had made a good go of a similar situation with his Miles Morales, so I was optimistic about this. Sadly, while by no means dreadful, it does feel a lot like the difficult follow-up, rushing th ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Following G. Willow Wilson on Ms. Marvel must be a daunting prospect, but for the most part Saladin Ahmed is an able successor. He takes Kamala immediately out of her comfort zone in more ways than one, dragging her social and superhero lives through the dirt and out into space as an intergalactic prophecy puts her family in danger as well as giving her an entire planet to save. It's heady stuff, and it instantly feels more grown-up than the problems Kamala faced in the previous series, which I ...more
Sesana
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Doesn't quite live up to the best of Wilson's run. Which is, to be fair, a very high bar. I did really like the way Ahmed wrote about Kamala's relationship with her parents. They've always been some of the best parents in comics. That said, some of that growth is intentionally backed away from at the end, which was disappointing to me. Why spend all that time having her loving parents try to learn how to balance their need to protect her with their growing respect her abilities if you're just go ...more
Imogene
Some very cute moments ( shirtless purple alien guys! Taking your parents on mission! Parents freaking out about shirtless purple alien guys!) but this arc didn’t quite stand up for itself as a complete story. I know that it’s different producing an intricate, interwoven, long running story like MM, but when judging it as a work in an of itself/ TPB, I need MORE STRUCTURE!
Meepelous
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it
The art in this volume was very on point. Continuing the feel that I had enjoyed in previous volumes. The frames are dynamic and varied, while remaining easy to follow. I really prefer this to the hyper shiny and or detailed muscular style that more adult super heroes are often treated to.

Obviously in a title like Ms. Marvel young cis women are celebrated in ways that were still pretty unusual only a short time ago - plus she has two parents. Kamala's place as a fan and someone who kicks butt, r
Dakota Morgan
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
The addition of Magnificent to the title doesn't exactly differentiate Saladin Ahmed's Ms. Marvel series from G. Willow Wilson's precursor. Ms. Marvel is still a teen, dealing with teenage drama, as well as saving Jersey City from D-level villains. Her parents are still amusing distractions, her friends still loyal to a fault. Destined isn't exactly a system reset.

It's plenty enjoyable, though, with great art, an ambitious story, and charming characters. Kamala Khan (and her parents!) are telepo
Cale
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
While it's always a little weird to get a volume that jumps across the galaxy for its story, this is one of the better manifestations of the classic 'destined hero' trope. Kamala gets called to a distant planet where she is foretold to save the world, but the prophecies don't mention that she brings her parents along. The interactions between Kamala and her family are some of the high points of the book, but it is consistently good throughout, even as parts of the plot are very predictable. The ...more
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
I was upset about this series changing writers, but I have been convinced. This volume fits pretty seamlessly into the previous ones (minus some stilted recapping for the sake of new readers) in terms of voice, and it feels rejuvenating. You can tell the new people are revved up and excited to take up the story, but aren’t going to go off in a totally new direction. Gonna keep it classic.

I am somewhat disappointed by a certain plot choice/retcon which was presumably made to make Plot easier in t
Sylvia
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Ms. Marvel fans
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2020
Wow! Saladin Ahmed really picked up where G. Willow Wilson left off.
I can't wait to pick up the next volume!

Volume one was wonderful. With a strong storyline about family, humor, and heart, Magnificent Ms. Marvel is a great addition to the Ms. Marvel universe.
Full review here
Rana
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A clear transition between the wonderful writing of G. Willow Wilson and Saladin Ahmed, both of whom I love as fiction authors. The most magnificent part of Ms. Marvel has always been her human-ness, that she is always, at heart, a teenager.
Steven W
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There’s not much I can say that hasn’t already been said. Ms. Marvel is awesome. This book awesome.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Valkyrie: Jane Foster, Vol. 1: The Sacred And The Profane
  • Ironheart, Vol. 2: Ten Rings
  • Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider, Vol. 2: The Impossible Year
  • Champions, Volume 5: Weird War One
Saladin Ahmed was born in Detroit and raised in a working-class, Arab American enclave in Dearborn, MI.

His short stories have been nominated for the Nebula and Campbell awards, and have appeared in Year's Best Fantasy and numerous other magazines, anthologies, and podcasts, as well as being translated into five foreign languages. He is represented by Jennifer Jackson of the Donald Maass Literary A

Magnificent Ms. Marvel (3 books)
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Stormranger