Start by marking “Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined” as Want to Read:
Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined

Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined

(Magnificent Ms. Marvel #1)

Ms. Marvel is back - and she's magnificent! But there's no such thing as business as usual in Jersey City. Aliens are wreaking havoc in Kamala's corner of the world, and they seem weirdly interested in Ms. Marvel...and her family! Kamala is about to face a devastating loss - but with an alien invasion ravaging her neighborhood, she's not going to have much time to grieve. ...more
Published October 29th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1

Start your review of Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined
Tiago
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More goodness by Saladin Ahmed, I'm a sucker for space adventures and this was a damn near perfect story arc for Ms. Marvel, with equally good art. I hated the way Marvel forced this new wave of all-new all-different superheroes into the Avengers without them ever breaking a sweat, hell Spider-Man only made it into the team in the 90s, felt cheap and forced as hell and I couldn't care less about them back then. I think its on their own solo books where they can shine and earn their place in the ...more
AJ
Kamala Khan's parents insisting on going along with her to save a planet is the most desi thing ever tbh.
Jenny
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Kamala. She’s one of my favorite Marvel superheroes, and I’m always interested in her story. I found this first issue of a new run really entertaining. I love the style and the story. Great characters, plot, and concept. The ending is a huge cliffhanger. Kamala is a believable teenager and has great superhero characteristics. I’m going to enjoy this series!
Definitely recommended.
Tundextra
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: avengers-book
On paper it was a tough call taking over from Wilson and co. but in reality Wilson and co. had lost their magic on this book and it was time for a change.

Ahmed does a good job kicking off his run, by starting Kamala's next steps in New Jersey facing Deathbringer. The book goes on to, with some nice humorous touches as well as angst, see an Ex-Avenger, ex-Champion, go on a mission with somer very unlikely travel companions!
Definitely captures the sense and feel of the first few volumes... the
TJ
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wow! I was worried that Ms. Marvel would suffer from changing writers, but I feel more intrigued in the title now than I have for a while. This story was totally different from anything we’ve seen in the title before, and it just felt fresh. It’s a perfect mixture of action and emotion, personal and hero stakes. 5/5 stars and I can’t wait to see what stories are in store next!
anya
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This volume had some heavy content. Ahmed did a really good job of picking up where Wilson left off in terms of style and character arcs, in my opinion, but one thing I did miss was the crew of friends which Kamala had accumulated by the end of the tenth volume. There was a very heavy emphasis on family in this one, which I appreciated a lot and somewhat made up for the lack of her friend group.
Kamala's witty remarks in battle remind me so much of Buffy, and I love it:) Kamala is such a great
P D
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I have zero interest in the Marvel universe (seriously, respect to people who can keep track of it!) but I'm 100% here for Ammi refusing to let some strange boy touch Kamala's arm, and Abu calling said boy - who's also a hero on his planet - a beimann ladka. My family is Hindi, not Urdu, speaking but this is all very, very relatable stuff.

I do wish they hadn't gone with that direction at the end of the main arc - I totally understand why, in that it would basically have created like 40 books
Oneirosophos
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That was surprisingly awesome!

The previous run was one of my favorites Marvel reads the second half of this decade and I was worried when I learnt about the new writer.

Saladin Ahmed, you do awesome job. Keep 'em coming!!! :)
Rana
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A clear transition between the wonderful writing of G. Willow Wilson and Saladin Ahmed, both of whom I love as fiction authors. The most magnificent part of Ms. Marvel has always been her human-ness, that she is always, at heart, a teenager.
Steven W
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
There’s not much I can say that hasn’t already been said. Ms. Marvel is awesome. This book awesome.
Alex Sarll
Willow Wilson co-created Ms Marvel, and made what could easily have been a commendable but cancelled-at-issue-8 series about Marvel's first big American Muslim hero into a huge success. Meaning that when she did finally wrap up her run, she was always going to be a tough act to follow. Still, Saladin Ahmed had made a good go of a similar situation with his Miles Morales, so I was optimistic about this. Sadly, while by no means dreadful, it does feel a lot like the difficult follow-up, rushing ...more
Scratch
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Possibly the least impressive installment to Ms. Marvel yet.

We have wacky hijinks as Kamala and her parents are all transported to an alien planet. The most noteworthy detail is that this alien planet seemed to decorate in a style that was vaguely similar to some elaborate Middle-Eastern styles. I'm not great with Middle-Eastern cultures (as an ignorant American), but some decorations in the alien palace reminded me of Persian royalty. This made me contemplate how many times I have seen
Abigail Pankau
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ms Marvel, while struggling with both her parents knowing her secret identity now, has to deal with some alien invaders. It turns out they are a test to make sure she is the Destined One to go save an alien planet from prophesied destruction. She is taken to that other planet where she finds that all is not peaceful in the kingdom. Will she save the planet? Will she find a way to get her parents to understand her superhero lifestyle? Will she ever have that important talk with Bruno?

This is good
Cliff
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I may be being a bit optimistic, but I really enjoyed seeing a slightly altered take on Ms. Marvel. Don't get me wrong, I thought G. Willow Wilson's take on the character was fantastic. But change isn't always bad. Here we have Saladin Ahmed's voice behind Kamala and the transition wasn't nearly as jarring as I anticipated.

In fact, I might go so far as to say he's probably got a more "Marvel" way of storytelling. From the opening of the new plot arc to the...slight spoiler...new costume, this
Amanda
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I get a little worried when superhero stories introduce new alien encounters but I liked the side quest that the new Ms. Marvel Team of Saladin Ahmed and Minkyu Jung take Kamala on. It's a clever way to rebot the series without trying to start over or do a complete wipe. And having her parents take a central role in the arc was hilarious and enjoyable and while I understand narrative it couldn't last, it was fun. I also thoroughly appreciated Cheb Hura's character design. Overall a really strong ...more
Fatima
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this already in single issues, but I think it does actually benefit from a re-read! A lot of the beginning part (especially Kamala's behavior) makes more sense once you find out "What Happened the Other Day." Anyways, I like how Ahmed's not afraid to grow her up a bit, and I hope his run continues because it'd really suck to see another writer come in and take her backward. I also really like the art in this.
Diabhalta
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel, comics
While I love the idea of expanding the universe, and facing new threats... While I was reading those new issues... While still true to the story of Kamala I've learned to love... The arch seemed... Rushed? Like something was missing,like all components were in place but a tiny screw was misplaced. I do hope this feeling will dissappear with the following issues as Ms Marvel is my beloved comic and I'd hate to loose her
Julia
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first Ms. Marvel book not by G. Willow Wilson, this is quite good. After Ms. Marvel vanquishes aliens who come to Jersey City, they proclaim her the Chosen One, and take her and her parents-- they insist-- to their planet. Did I mention that this is the book where she finally comes out as Ms. Marvel to her father? I borrowed this from inter library loan.
Danielle
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great start to Kamala's new run, and I'm really excited to see where Ahmed goes with the character. I loved seeing her parents involved, especially because so many superhero stories are known for not having parents. It reminded me of how she stands out from those before her, and how that affects the choices she makes.
Imogene
Some very cute moments ( shirtless purple alien guys! Taking your parents on mission! Parents freaking out about shirtless purple alien guys!) but this arc didn’t quite stand up for itself as a complete story. I know that it’s different producing an intricate, interwoven, long running story like MM, but when judging it as a work in an of itself/ TPB, I need MORE STRUCTURE!
Bryce Perry
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I first read that Saladin Ahmed was taking over writing Ms. Marvel, I was excited; he's one of my favorite writers and she's one of my favorite characters. But as excited as I was, I was still surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. From the fabulous main story to the B and C plot threads that were dropped in along the way, this book is just...well, Magnificent!
Bill DeGenaro
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Saladin Ahmed's first issue of Ms Marvel is great. Seeing familiar supporting cast members (Bruno!) and references to events from the prior run was comforting, but also: Kamala's struggles to balance her two lives seem to have even higher stakes now. This did was a first issue should do--suggested some exciting new directions. Looking forward to what comes next.
Jason
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, the bad news. Like a prior incarnation of the Doctor seeing the redecorated TARDIS, I don't like the new costume. The design, the colors are too much.

The rest of the art is a homerun.
The story is fantastic and lots of fun. Heartfelt and funny. I'm a huge fan of Ahmed's work in comics and can't wait to see where he takes us next.
Meghan Ryan
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was really satisfied with the new run after being nervous due to the creation team turnover. She felt like Kamala and it was great to explore the relationship she has with her parents. Definitely looking forward to the next one!
Kasa
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
felt a little cold and forced in comparison to wilson's freewheeling and fun series - i'm not sure if its just first issue growing pains or me getting used to a brand new voice/tone/direction or what.
Kris
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated and well written, I am really enjoying this run of Ms. Marvel thus far. Likeable characters, great action sequences, a touching story and more than a few laughs. I look forward to what happens next!
Helena
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loving the new creative team! It feels the same as the previous run but also finds moments to be different, all of which is great. Looking forward to more for sure.
Erica
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Male author takes over and his first point of order is to give this teenage hero a more revealing costume? Typical.

Missing you, Willow Wilson.
Zachariah
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was worried when G Willow left the series but when I heard Ahmed was talking over, I looked forward to seeing it. Still good. Wasn't a huge fan of the hot alien romance subplot, but good overall.

• Runaways, Vol. 4: But You Can't Hide
  • Champions, Vol. 1: Beat the Devil
  • Ironheart, Vol. 1: Those With Courage
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2: City of Evils
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther (Shuri, #1-5)
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1: Best Coast
  • Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider, Vol. 2: The Impossible Year
  • Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Secrets and Rumors
  • Naomi: Season One
  • The War of the Realms
  • Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider, Vol. 1: Spider-Geddon
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 4: Abomination
  • Daredevil, Vol. 1: Know Fear
Saladin Ahmed was born in Detroit and raised in a working-class, Arab American enclave in Dearborn, MI.

His short stories have been nominated for the Nebula and Campbell awards, and have appeared in Year's Best Fantasy and numerous other magazines, anthologies, and podcasts, as well as being translated into five foreign languages. He is represented by Jennifer Jackson of the Donald Maass Literary

Magnificent Ms. Marvel (2 books)
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Stormranger