Start by marking “Portable Magic: Tarot Is the Only Tool You Need” as Want to Read:
Portable Magic: Tarot Is the Only Tool You Need

Portable Magic: Tarot Is the Only Tool You Need

Say goodbye to ceremonial robes, incense, candles, and oils. Donald Tyson presents a new, easy way to perform ritual magic with only one tool: tarot. From manipulating elemental forces of nature to making potent charms, all ceremonial rituals can be performed with a standard 78-card deck.

Tyson's efficient system of tarot magic is based on the Golden Dawn tradition, which
Published October 8th 2006 by Llewellyn Publications (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Portable Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portable Magic

Chad Axe
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magick-various
This book took my interest in TAROT, and gave me just about a complete yet practical understanding of the Western Tradition. I have really liked reading and using this book for transformation and insight.
Alex
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is one very interesting, it helped me adopt a different perspective about the Tarot and Magic in general.

It is an extremely practical book, where every aspect and theory gets to be exemplified through practice. The author represents different ways in which you can apply the method and exemplifies them with thorough descriptions.

You will get meditation excercises, visualization training, in-depth Tarot card explanations and explorations, an overall summary of Hig
Jean de Oliveira Quevedo
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this is the best magick system I have put my eyes on. Simple, practical and yet well based on the elemental and astrological forces, using the best of the western tradition. It will totally help me on my path.
Edric Unsane
A highly inventive and concise way of using the tarot for other things than divination, such as for spells, rituals, and charms. I can not wait to try this out for myself.
Sadra Hesabi
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want to know more about Tarot cards and their usage in ritual and magick, don't miss this book!
Deena
Dec 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
The topic is practical magic, with Tarot as its only tool.

“Portable Magic” describes the use of Tarot cards as instruments of ritual magic. In this system, the cards can stand in for any thing…physical or metaphysical… that can be found in a temple or a circle.

The author tells how to remove conceptual barriers to direct contact with the forces associated with each card.

The book includes a concise history of the evolution of the Tarot and its structure. The system it describes has
Christine
Mar 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2006, divination, tarot
Who says tarot cards are only for fortune telling or that you need lengthy preparation, a complete altar and set of ritual tools to perform magic? With this book, Donald Tyson (creator of the rune dice and author of three novels, including Necronomicon and Alhazred) shows us how we make changes in our lives using nothing more than a standard 78-count tarot deck. After all the tarot is a miniature model of the universe full of archetypes of the human psyche.

Starting out with descriptions and chapters on b
Katja
Nov 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
I personally didn't like it, although it's not a bad book per se. It's aimed at beginners, both at tarot and at magic. So, if you are a practicing magician (especially if you're not into ritual magic), then your established and preferred methods might disagree with the highly dogmatic "this is how to do magic" approach of the author.

(what was also a bit strange was how he does away with many myths and misconceptions about the origins of the tarot, and then goes on to reinforce myths and misconc
Gaze Santos
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Full of practical information. This is NOT a book about Tarot Divination, but rather using the Tarot deck, and deck only to do magical rituals and spells. This is a brass tacks, no nonsense kind of book on the subject. The system is largely based off the Golden Dawn system of symbols and attributions. Mr. Tyson also includes his own personal system of symbols and attributions as an appendix to the book, and I must say that it makes a lot of magickal sense. (Actually this appendix was my original ...more
H. Roberts
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book on using tarot cards for magic and ritual. While it has a strong focus on ceremonial magic, astrological signs and the Kabbalah, the book does provide a great stepping stone towards creating your own rituals using the tarot deck. The concept that the laid out cards exist on both a material and astral level was enlightening, as was the suggested visualization of that space and the choosing of a significator to represent yourself there. It just required a slight reworking t ...more
Irvina
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual, tarot, wicca
For me, the first half of the book explained a topic that I have grappled with for a long time: The Kabbalah and the Tree of Life. Better yet, it showed a relationship between these and Tarot, which for the most part, make sense to me. After those basics (ha), I just cannot use the Tarot in the manner the author does in his book. Just not for me. So I will keep the book around until I totally absorb the information I can use or until I find a better reference tool.
Hege Fossum
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book!

Just what I was looking for. This has what all the other books on Tarot out there is lacking. A more detailed and updated history, that was a great read.The repetitions of the stages in the example rituals were very good, as it opens up for a possibility to use each of them as a finished manuscript. They also make it easier to remember all the details so that you feel more ready to start practicing.
Todd R
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspired
This is probably my favorite book on the use of tarot in magic(K). It very plainly shows the Explorer how to create altars of experience using only the tarot. Primarily it uses the Golden Dawn system of tarot correspondences to construct a system of magic(K) that will aid any Imaginist in exploring consciousness and the manipulation of ones reality.
Pixelina
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I quite liked the system as such, of working in a mini-format, with the cards on the table-top and in the astral at the same time. I am sure it will take some practice to get the hang of it though. I had a few minor objections to his views but nothing I can't work around. The last chapter on how to evoke an elemental was interesting, as was the chapter on creating temporary tarot charms.
Nancy
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting book about doing ritual magic using nothing but a tarot deck, based on the golden dawn system. gives very detailed instructions and background information.
Julian  Cheek
Jun 26, 2014
Calantirniel
Mar 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Donald Tyson is a Canadian from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Early in life he was drawn to science by an intense fascination with astronomy, building a telescope by hand when he was eight. He began university seeking a science degree, but became disillusioned with the aridity and futility of a mechanistic view of the universe and shifted his major to English. After graduating with honors he has pursued a ...more