Start by marking “Sudden Traveler: Stories” as Want to Read:
Sudden Traveler: Stories

Sudden Traveler: Stories

“Sarah Hall is one of those rare writers whose short fiction has the same luminosity as her novels. But the short form allows her more room to probe and roam, to experiment with form, to sink her fingers into the earth.”—The Observer (London)

Featuring her signature themes of identity, eroticism, and existential quest, the stories in Sarah Hall’s third collection travel far
Published October 8th 2019 by Custom House

To ask other readers questions about Sudden Traveler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sudden Traveler

Diana Iozzia (Bookworm Banter)
Sep 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
“Sudden Traveler”
Written by Sarah Hall
Reviewed by Diana Iozzia

“Sudden Traveler” is a collection of short stories, in the realistic fiction and the science fiction genres. Sarah Hall is an English writer, hailing from the area in England that my fiancé and I will be living. Sarah Hall has won quite a few awards and has been nominated for the Man Booker prize twice.

In this collection, there are seven different short stories. They are all a bit out there, but some of them are a bit enjoyable. For t
Bruna Looby
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I’m an avid reader but it has never taken me so long to read such a small book. I gave it a second and third chance; I even tried starting all over. I was determined to get into this book but unfortunately it just wasn’t for me. The word that defines this book the most for me is: confusing.
This book has several small stories in which the author changes scenarios, characters, and transports us from one place to another out of nowhere - hence the name of the book, Sudden Traveler. There isn’t rea
Jaclyn (sixminutesforme)
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Stories are the currency of past lives. Families, lovers, enemies, friends. You do not understand yet, who you will lose, who you will become, who will arrive. We are, all of us, sudden travelers in the world, blind, passing each other, reaching out, missing, sometimes taking hold.”

This short story collection was unnerving in its haunting abstractions, and really captured my interest with its focus on dualities (lots of life and death imagery), stunning prose, and it’s ability to leave me compl
Diana
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the folktale elements to the stories and appreciated the experimental elements of the book but unfortunately I can't say that I loved it.
Stephanie Ward
'Sudden Traveler' is a new collection of short stories by award winning author Sarah Hall. This is the first book I've read of hers and happened to be short stories, which aren't always my strong point. I normally don't read short stories because they don't interest me the same way a novel does. I don't like the short amount of time spent with the characters and the plot, along with all the other aspects. So, I did start off with a bit of trepidation towards the book.

I honestly can't clearly tel
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Sudden Traveler by Sarah Hall is a recommended collection of seven short stories.

"The characters in Sudden Traveler walk, drive, dream, and fly, trying to reconcile themselves with their journeys through life, death, and love. Science fiction meets folktale and philosophy meets mortality.... Sarah Hall opens channels in the human mind and spirit and takes us to the very edge of our possible selves."

The writing is gorgeous in these stories. Some stories resonated with me immediately while others
Megsbookclub
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today I’m excited to feature the new release by Sarah Hall, Sudden Traveler! It is a collection of short stories that are so very different than anything else you have read. Even though it’s only about 125 pages long, the stories are not fast reads. She is such an in-depth writer and totally pulls you in that you have to slow down so you don’t miss anything. She is an award winning author so yes she is very good at what she does! Thanks to @tlcbooktours, @customhousebooks and @williammorrowbooks ...more
Sarah Yung
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Another quick, easily digestible subway read. Hall shows a restrained control of her prose, which I appreciated but didn't quite love. The titular story, the penultimate one in this collection, is by far the best—the most evocative, resonant, etc.—although I enjoyed the last one as well.

“Time: the most unrelatable concept. If you stepped off this planet, you’d need no such identifier; everything would bend and fold, repeat, or just release. You’d have no age. You’d cease to be definite. What wou
LittleSophie
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, short-stories
With Sudden Traveller Sarah hall delivers another brilliant and evocative story collection. Finely balanced between the realistic and the fantastical, Hall's stories draw the reader in with lyrical set pieces before they're tripped up by the stories' unexpected turns.
It's a slim collection of the highest quality, which means all the stories are emphatically recommended. I unreservedly loved this book!
Penny
Aug 02, 2019
Hugh
added it
Aug 02, 2019

Sarah Hall took a degree in English and Art History at Aberystwyth University, and began to take writing seriously from the age of twenty, first as a poet, several of her poems appearing in poetry magazines, then as a fiction-writer. She took an M Litt in Creative Writing at St Andrew's University and stayed on