Start by marking “Roar Like a Dandelion” as Want to Read:
Roar Like a Dandelion

Roar Like a Dandelion

From Ruth Krauss, the children’s book author of The Carrot Seed and A Hole Is to Dig, comes this never-before-published ABC book of one-liners—brought to life by artist Sergio Ruzzier.

Dance with a leaf.

Jump like a raindrop.

Sit in the sun and shine.
Published October 1st 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Roar Like a Dandelion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roar Like a Dandelion

Start your review of Roar Like a Dandelion
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing

What an inspiration!

Over the past few years, I’ve developed a fascination and a bit of an obsession for ABC books. I love how every alphabet book covers the same territory pretty much, but each and every one does it in its own special way. This little gem has a playful, quirky feel that fired me up. Every letter inspired me to move and think and create. I loved it!

Roar Like a Dandelion moves through the alphabet letter by letter with a unique to do list of sorts. Some sim
Deborah
Oct 02, 2019 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
"Look under the bed for poetry"

Ruth Krauss and Sergio Ruzzier... together??? I knew I'd love this one before I even opened it.
Billie
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun, beautiful, slightly nonsensical alphabet book that will have kids jumping like raindrops and roaring like dandelions. This book is sure to make for some very raucous story times for years to come.
Michael Fitzgerald
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Weak - as might be expected of the dregs dragged out of some dusty old chest. By no means is this in the same league as Krauss's masterworks (A Hole is to Dig, Open House for Butterflies, I'll Be You and You Be Me) or even her lesser efforts.
Emma (Miss Print)
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Good and life affirming but not my favorite. I'm not familiar with Krauss's work and have never been a big fan of Ruzzier's artwork so it might be that I just lack the emotional investment.
Olivia Williford (LivTheBookNerd)
This was such a fun book for very young readers. I love the little one-liners that are focused on teaching littles their ABCs. This is going to make a lot of little ones laugh. I can’t wait to pass this on to my friends who have babies.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alphabet-books
A delightful alphabet book. Ruth Kraus's text and Sergio Ruzzier's wonderfully whimsical illustrations are perfectly complementary.
Sandy Brehl
I've been a fan of Ruth Krauss before I began paying attention to author names, and that's because she was writing books while I WAS A CHILD. Yikes! That's a long time ago!
That kid-appeal quality was always evident in the words and point of view Krauss provided in her books, and I adored them. You can read more about Krauss in this great article from Brain Pickings blog.
Sergio Ruzzier does not need my praise to bolster his stellar career. Even so, I can imagine that despite his success a
Olivia
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfi...

A unique alphabet book, ROAR LIKE A DANDELION is filled with instructional that are sure to spark some giggles. Each page features a verb and phrase along with images of animals or bugs acting it out, using each letter of the alphabet along the way. Seussical at times, this pastel colored book is sure to spawn some disbelief as much as it provokes laughs.

Readers are told to "Ignore yourself and get mad" and "Look under the bed for poetry." Funny and cute, the b
Cassandra Gelvin
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Mew like a pussywillow.

This review was originally published at http://www.drttmk.com/books/roar-dand....

It's all right as far as alphabet books go. It's decent. It's unconventional, in that instead of the word that starts with the chosen letter being a noun, it's a verb, which is kind of cool. "I" is "ignore." "M" is "make." "N" is "nod." There's a lot of references to nature, leaves, the sun, and also to freedom. "Eat all the locks off the doors" or "Paint a picture of a cage with an open door and wait." It's all done in a prose
Linda
I put this on hold weeks ago and finally it is out! Simple and fun wording for an alphabet book with Sergio Ruzzier's whimsical characters pleased me a bunch! Though it's meant for younger readers, my granddaughters, eight and ten, still enjoyed it! Smiles come on every page, like "Go like a road" for G, but the road is a snake! And "Look under the bed for poetry" for L. Of course, there's "Roar like a dandelion." for R. It is a happy book!
Juushika
This is bad, but that's primarily the fault of the art, which is in a style I'm not fond of--but more importantly the animal-protagonists undermine the invitation to the reader in Krauss's declarative, playful, profoundly childlike text. And there's so much potential in that text, but some panels are underwhelming and some, like the always-naked duck that can't "undress to match trees in winter," fail completely.
Julie Fortenberry
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Freewheeling, free-associating alphabet book. Some lines are goofy (Eat all the locks off the doors) and some lines can be acted out (Hold your arms out like a little pine tree).

Making sense and more nonsense of it all are Sergio Ruzzier's adorable, ingenious, simple and intricate creatures. Roar Like a Dandelion is a perfect pairing of words and pictures.
Lynn
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to attend a wonderful event at ALA and to hear Sergio Ruzzier talk about the book and its journey.

Joyous and delightful, this is a charming story that will make for a terrific, if noisy, story time! Ruzzier has truly captured the spirit of Krauss' work while adding his own unique touch.
Elizabeth
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Old text with newer illustrations. I am not sure but I think the Ruth Foundation found some text that should have been an alphabet book but was never published? Sergio illustrated it now. It is cute and I love alphabet books so it would be one for my library. It is on the buy list.
Jason
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that this is an alphabet using verbs for each letter, and I love the absurdity (that nevertheless serves to inspire the reader to live in the moment) of some of the statements. I love that we get a new book by Ruth Krauss and Sergio Ruzzier is the perfect person to illustrate it.
Angela
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
So much fun to read this book about movement, imagination, being and doing, structured around the alphabet. Utterly delightful. We should all roar like a dandelion, every now and again. Love the humor.
Sarah Yung
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the better ABC books out there... this one has a lot of fun with the actions pertaining to each letter.
Sydney
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book didn't make much sense to me... It was understandable that it was an alphabet book. Not one of my favorites.
Anthony
An A to Z book of one liners that will inspire and motivate the reader to give it all they got, as they meet the challenges that await in life head on.
Katie
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
ABC book full of verbs.
U - Undress to match trees in winter. XD
Jessica
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cute alphabet book. Makes you look at things differently.
Norkett
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A great journey thru the alphabet! Loved the sayings, a few had us cracking up in laughter!
Erin
I enjoy an interesting ABC book and this fits the bill. Cute illustrations with fun, sometimes nonsensical sentences for each letter of the alphabet.
Sherri
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not crazy about the illustrations, but Ruth Krauss I love, love, love.
Tina Hoggatt
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly delightful.
Amy
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-k, picture-books
A sweet never-before published ABC book by legendary Children’s author Ruth Krauss. Always a treasure when you get to see new stories from an author who has passed away.
Michele
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Quirky ABC book
Heather McC
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
An unconventional alphabet book, could be great for rainy days, dull days....and if you feel really inventive, pick up the pattern and try some ideas of your own.
Leah