Start by marking “Camp Strange” as Want to Read:
Camp Strange

Camp Strange

After destroying the school gym by igniting a 3.7 earthquake with his science fair project volcano, Ezekiel Raroso recalls a lifetime of strange occurrences (including his family never talking about the father he’s never met) which have made him a target for the school bully’s wedgies. Lucky for him, school is out for the summer and his mom is sending him to camp to get aw ...more
Published March 21st 2019 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Camp Strange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camp Strange

Start your review of Camp Strange
Glen
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

Sort of a cross between Harry Potter and Out Of This World, as a kid finds out he isn't really human, but fey. He goes to camp, where he finds out he has all kinds of powers, and that there's a struggle between good and evil.

Not a classic, but somewhat entertaining.
Rick Treon
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Camp Strange is a sweet middle-grade story for anyone's inner 10-year-old.

As a kid who oftentimes felt a little out of place and without his tribe, I connected with author Renee Perez's protagonist, Ezekiel Raroso. The mysteries surrounding Ezie intensify as summer approaches, and his parents send him to a summer camp, which he dubs Camp Strange.

He has no idea how strange it will end up being. Without giving away any spoilers, let's just say Camp Strange will appeal to th
Alicia LaFontaine
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got an ARC of this and should've finished it a long time ago. And, now, having finished it, I don't know why I didn't because it was absolutely captivating. The story was so much fun, so enchanting. I wish I had had this book to read when I was a kid.
Allyssa
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Camp Strange puts all your favorite fantasy elements in one place! The main character tugs at the realities of growing up a little bit different as he struggles to unpack who he is and who he wants to become. Set in a delightfully magical world that tantalizes all of your senses with a uniquely diverse cast, there are endless possibilities for the range of readers this book can reach. As a former special educator, I highly recommend this text to engage all readers. Perfect for small groups to re ...more
Raul Perez
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a grown man but boy did I love this magical adventure with a spunky sense of humor. Camp Strange is fun and certainly leaves obvious “nuggets” and not so obvious “nuggets”if you read between the lines that everyone can enjoy. Strange also incorporates a diverse group of characters which reflects our current society which I absolutely love. I really enjoy what Renee Perez did with Camp Strange and highly recommend it to all lovers of a great read.
Phyllis Rene
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Camp Strange is such a great book that it will literally suck you in! I know this book is intended for a younger audience but you can throw that out the window because it’s clearly not true. . . I loved it and I’m semi-quasi “older.” Camp Strange is a tantalizing story of a young boy named Ezekiel Raroso who is having identity issues because of the absence of his father, strange events that keep happening to him, and the trials and tribulations of 5th grade all while being sent to summer camp ag ...more
David Nora
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I cannot wait to recommend this book to my students. As a teacher of students with visual impairments and learning disabilities, I have a hard time finding books that interest them. This was such a fun book. It created a magical world of fairy people and silly, cute creatures and mysterious villains. Most importantly, at the center of the story, was a well-written protagonist. He reminded me of myself as a kid--an awkward loner who feels different, like the world is acting against him. He's a pe ...more
Sydney Mann
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Those who enjoyed the action of Harry Potter, the adventure of Percy Jackson, and the humor of Diary of a Wimpy Kid will take to this middle grade story about a young boy named Ezekiel who heads to Camp Strange for the time of his life...while learning about the mysteries surrounding it. This is a fun and fantastical read with strong parallels to the three books previously mentioned. A story of friendship, growth and acceptance with a bit of mystery to boot. I’m knocking off a star and a half fo ...more
Caleb Smith
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed camp strange By Renee Perez. This was a charming tale that I picked up off a free ebook promotion that I'm glad I took advantage of!! I love the adventure, the creative concepts and magical world building that this debut author displayed! Ezekiel Raroso is a lovable boy who is struggling to understand his differences within. He is different from the other kids in his school which makes it a little harder to fit in. To make things worse, he is a victim of bullying. He is also str ...more
Steve Perez
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chapter one opens with Ezekiel Raroso in the school gymnasium ready to display his science fair project. Unfortunately for Ezekiel, where school is a haven for some students, Winfrey Elementary is a danger zone, filled with personal threats. Perez draws parallels to many of our childhood experiences by painting a vision of a giant, spine-chilling, and torturous bully who haunts many of our dreams.

Ezekiel's nightmare soon dissipate as he embarks on a magical journey - an expedition filled with m
Alana Turner
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for a middle grade audience. The humor is great, the characters realistic and fairly free of stereotypes and the plot is very fun without being over the top.
Now, I started reading this before I saw the cover. I was pleasantly surprised when it didn't go the super hero route that I thought it was. It felt fresh.
I did not see the final plot twist coming, at all. I thought that was extremely well done and genuinely shocking.
Overall the whimsy and fun spirit in this book is f
Lisa Schwartz
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While this book may have been written for kids and teens I absolutely loved this book. What a wonderful escape into the world of the Faerman, the adventures of the Fledglings and the wonderful journey they go on. So exciting when they got their powers to fly and rally around one another. I’ll save any spoilers because the joy of the book is escaping into their world. So many lessons as adults we could all take from this book. You will fall in love with Ezekiel’s struggles and then his joys. This ...more
Lori Stephens
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Camp Strange is a good little read-aloud book for your middle-grade or elementary reader. Poised to enter sixth grade, Ezekiel discovers the cause of all the strange things happening to him and around him.

Children who are interested in the Harry Potter series will enjoy the interactions between Ezekiel and his friends and Perez’s vivid storytelling. Perez has a knack for getting into the heads of eleven-year-olds, and Ezie's internal conflict and emotions were believable. I was fortunate to rec
Michael Harris
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author has taken real-world scenarios and events that we have all been privy to or at least witnessed second-hand and creating a magical realm to rival even the most established writers and novels we have come to know and love. A must read! Mrs. Perez is a creative force to reckon with and it shows! Loooking forward to more!
Paulette Rodriguez
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great read!!!! So much Creativity and the characters are adorable absolutely love it!!!
Sandra Rodriguez
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Job God Bless you with your future💞🦋
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m 12 years old and this really got my imagination running! The description and setting just screams magical and odd. The characters are diverse and all have their own personalities. I would definitely recommend this book!
Mary Alice Pierce
No matter your age!

No matter your age this is a wonderful warm book about all the quirks and differences that make us all unique. I enjoyed it thoroughly and I’m in my third childhood (or is it my fourth?) Hard to remember at my age. I would recommend this book especially to middle-schoolers, as that’s the age where differences can be especially daunting. Look forward to further adventures at Camp Strange!
Mary Rowe
Uplifting YA Tale

Except for the editing, i enjoyed the story and the characters brought to life by the author. A gentle, compassionate treatment of a difficult stage if development.
Shantelle Berrier
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story to be told! Now my daughter can’t put it down. Watching your kid get sucked into a story and saying “one more page?” at bedtime makes a mom’s heart happy. Highly, highly recommend for your middle school kiddos. They’re going to love it.
Nancy Lewis
Jun 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giveaways, rejects
christine  B
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Move over Harry Potter, there is a new kid in town! You will fall in love with Ezie in this mystical and magical adventure! A “Strange Camp” where a boy who never feels like he fits in, finds the answers he has been searching for and so much more! I loved the page turning excitement as his story took me away and into an enchanted place where anything is possible! I highly recommend this book, it is great read for the young and old!

Renee Perez, well done! I can't wait to read more!
Jennifer Chokemesil
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!
Cornerofmadness
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway which in no way influenced my review. This middle-grade book is like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson had a baby. If anyone saw The Simpsons episode with Neil Gaiman on how to write YA, this is what you have to have, that played on a loop in my brain as I read this.

It's not that I disliked it. I thought it was cute and I'm sure readers of the intended age group would enjoy it. The author had a touchingly sweet reason for writing this as well.

Ezkiel "Ezie" is
Josephine
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

Camp Strange is a story of magic and fantasy with all the elements fantasy lovers crave.

Our main character is Ezekiel Raroso who is unfortunately bullied at school. Unknown to him is that he has magic in his blood. Therefore when strange things happen around him such as the disastrous eruption of his science project, he starts thinking of himself as just weird. This is not helping his self-esteem. Ezekiel has a few friends at school, but for the most part, he is shunned and bullied. His loving
Critter
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strange events have followed Ezekiel his entire life. These events have set him apart from his classmates. The bully that plagues adds to his troubles along with the mystery behind his father. When school lets out for the summer, his mother sends him to camp over the summer, where he discovers the truth about who he is.

This book reminded me of Percy Jackson at times. I loved the magical setting. The camp was tons of fun and I especially loved reading about the bakery. The idea of a cake sized d
Kimmarie Pozar
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story of adventure

Ezekiel was a likable kid and the settings were relatable for the reader. Some of the relationships in the story felt like they needed to be filled out more but that could be done in future stories. A good story about feeling like you don’t belong and then finding out where you fit in.

However there were quite a few glitchy spots in the story that editing would clean up. I get stuck at errors and imagine others do also. It slows down the reading. I wanted to give this
Tiffany Fenton
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Family Book! My girls and I took turns reading this book aloud as a family. We absolutely loved it. My 10 year old especially, she wanted to read it every chance she got. It is a book of adventure and abilities. It is funny and sent my girls into the magical world of "imagine mom if..." and they would go on and on adding to or creating their own story off of this one. I strongly recommend this!
Elysian Fields
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read, its pure entertainment. My neice enjoyed it and thought it was funny. Its a fun short read about good and evil and there are some great cgaracters.
Susan Barbee
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

This was a great book. My client really enjoyed it. I hope to find other books similar. Very enjoyable and funny