Start by marking “The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1

The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1

(Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband #1)

It’s a day in the life of your average househusband—if your average househusband is the legendary yakuza “the Immortal Dragon”!

A former yakuza legend leaves it all behind to become your everyday househusband. But it’s not easy to walk away from the gangster life, and what should be mundane household tasks are anything but!

He was the fiercest member of the yakuza, a man
Published September 17th 2019 by VIZ Media LLC (first published August 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1

Start your review of The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1
Tim
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, manga
A gag manga is only as good as the main gag. The entire point of a good gag manga is that it can take that one joke, use it in various situation while keeping it fresh, and most importantly funny. It has to be repetitive, without feeling repetitive. Fortunately in the case of this series, the joke is exceptionally good.

Here we follow the daily life of a househusband, as he does such common things as making lunch, cleaning house and trying to get groceries while they are on sale. All common
K.
Way more hilarious than I anticipated, even given the concept of a former notorious yakuza settling down to be a house-husband for his career-minded wife. There's this:

But mostly it's this:

With some of this:

Artemy
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yesss! Here’s my new favorite gag manga. The premise is genius — a former Yakuza boss decides to abandon his criminal past and become, you guessed it, a househusband. Follow him as he gets into bargain bin sales, apartment cleaning, cooking, DIY and all that good stuff, while occasionally trying to manage former fellow gang members who are not yet accustomed to seeing their old boss in this new stage of his life. The jokes are hilarious, the characters are delightful, the art is fantastic and ...more
Skye Kilaen
This seems to be one of those manga where you either love it, or it just seems pointless. I'm in the former camp. The transposition of the main character's badass yakuza seriousness into the environment of cooking classes and housecleaning is cracking me up. I'm really looking forward to the next volume, as I could see it either staying vignette / slice-of-life format, or that there could be a storyline developing since not everyone from his former life is happy that he's retired. Either way, ...more
Lauren
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok

Oh dear...this manga really fell flat for me :/

The basic premise is a former yakuza boss adapting to life as a house husband, and being his ‘typical’ self, he takes everything SERIOUSLY (including food shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc.) The chapters were very short and the same gags were used repeatedly. We don’t really learn anything about the MC except his former occupation and he really doesn’t seem that terrifying apart from his expression which does look murderous.

The manga was
~maheen~
Loved the fan-coloured edition, I really thought that brought the mc out to life.

And I can't wait to get my hands on Vol. 2 ;P
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

I love everything about this concept! An ex-Yakuza, now Househusband? Yes please, sign me up. This was hilarious from start to finish. I also loved, that each chapter was kind of its own little mini-story rather than the whole volume being one continuous story! I'd definitely continue with this series in the future!

Note: I am currently on a hiatus from reviewing. I need a bit of a break from the pressures of reading, so I'm just going with the flow this year. I'll obviously still be reading, but
Rod Brown
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A humor manga built around one joke: a former member of the Yakuza is now a loving and doting househusband, doing all the cleaning, cooking and shopping while his otaku wife brings home the bacon. Complications arise because he still looks like a thug and the gangsters with whom he used to compete and associate keep popping up at unexpected moments.

The chapters in this first volume are very episodic and focused on going for the laugh, but the creator is slowly building up a supporting cast and
Mehsi
Tatsu is a very feared Yakuza, but don’t worry, all he wants in life now is to be a good househusband. Will Tatsu be able to do that?

I have seen a lot of people talk about this manga on Twitter and I was eager to try it out. Today I was in the mood for something silly and fun, which I could use after almost 2 weeks of continuous work on my new home + packing up stuff in my old home.

And I have to say it was very funny at times, mostly to do with how Tatsu does his cleaning or how he goes about
Daniel
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5? Cute, I guess, but the chapters are all independent little vignettes. There's no throughline.
✨Sofia (bookaholicconfessions) ✨
I'm not a big reader of manga but I was looking up graphic novels to read on amazon and this came up on the recommended products and oh my god this is hella funny and hella adorable! You need to get on this stuff right now!
Kenny
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hilarious!
Sesana
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
It's basically a single gag comic, but that single gag is pretty good. The main character is a househusband who spends his days cooking and cleaning for his wife, but his former life as a yakuza boss keeps seeping into his daily life. It's very sitcom, which for me makes it something best taken in small doses. It looks like it was published in short installments originally, and that's probably the best way to read it. All at once, and it gets monotonous.
Lori
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You got any of the good white stuff here? Nice an' granulated?"
"We do not."
"Ah sorry, he means flour. I think."

This was such a light, fun read! Imagine having an ex-yakuza of a husband who does his housework too seriously and manages to still be hilarious in a way. I love this. Also, his wife is really pretty. I love me a woman.
Sana
This pretty much fell flat for me. Probably not the best choice for my first manga ever, but I really thought this would be funny. It'd definitely work much better as an anime for me as it's hard to really see a former yakuza take household chores so seriously. Why?

Also, it doesn't help that there's not much backstory as to why and that all the chapters are disjointed and jump from one household related disaster to another. It just all seemed too ridiculous as I couldn't suspend disbelief and
Groovy
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i can't think of a single thing i actually dislike about this volume, it had me grinning when i wasn't giggle-snorting, and the artwork is gorgeous as hell.
Marianne
Hilarious story about an ex-yakuza turned house-husband and his career driven wife.
Can't take it too seriously, though.
amanda
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this manga from my dear friend Bernard as a birthday gift so thank you thank you thank you! I had heard of it before online. It spoke to me. I mean, a tough yakuza turned house husband??? The DREAM MAN basically?

This is a slice of life manga which means that it’s not a set concrete story. You get short stories of the mundane day to day experiences. So we see the house husband, Tatsu, in his natural environment such as cooking, cleaning, shopping, and being a general badass while he
Ashley
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this so much. Specifically, I like this absolutely intimidating yakuza turned his life around to become a dedicated and loyal househusband to the his new boss lady. Unbelievably likable and fun.

Fran
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can I give this 6 stars because it is perfection <3
Anna
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taka is quite the dichotomy. He's a former Yakuza boss that becomes a house husband. He fights for territory over roomba, shops the bargain sales, and learns how to make croquettes. Overall this is one of my new fave gag mangas.
Jessie H.
4.5/5 Stars

I found the premise of this series intriguing so I picked it up. I didn't expect it to make me laugh so much. I can't wait for volume 2!
Joanna
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tears. Literal tears falling down my face I was laughing so hard. This is the most oddly sweet manga, 12/10 would recommend.
SpiralKat
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully absurd. The artwork is amazing and successfully carries the narrative from panel to panel. Each chapter is a self-contained story following the adventures of Tatsu aka the Immortal Dragon, legendary former member of the yakuza who has given it all up to become a househusband. The first two chapters set the tone for the rest of the volume perfectly. Chapter six is one of my favorites. Anyone who has ever lived with a cat can relate, even if they have never owned a Roomba.

There are a
Courtney Rose
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Honestly if it were not for the slightly repetitive nature of this volume, this would have been 5 stars. As it stands, I read this a day ago and I've already recommended it to 3 people, so it's at 4.5 in my book.

What a fun, creative and SILLY premise this is. I adore it.

Tatsu used to be known as "The Immortal Dragon," the most feared, legendary and badass Yakuza leader maybe ever. But for some reason he decides to leave it all behind and become a househusband. He still looks like a terrifying
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I am going to have to assume this gets funny in future volumes because I just didn't see much of a hook in this first volume. Our gangster protagonist is incredibly earnest in his househusband duties - so much so that he has pretty much left the skills of his other trade behind. Most of the gags are at the expense of his 'scary' gangster appearance rather than his interactions with others or what he does, making the
Mark Evans
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art in this book is so, so good. If seeing a Yakuza wearing an apron doesn’t amuse you, steer clear - the premise lives and dies on its fish out of water scenario, and while the jokes can be predictable, the book was still a ton of fun.

One thing that didn’t work for me - a couple of the chapters, especially the early ones, don’t seem to end on a punchline and just sort of stop dead. There is kind of an attempt at a joke but not really.

Still, there’s a certain goofy charm that really carries
Ley
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga-read
this is one of my favorite things i've read in a while. super funny. even if you don't like manga, i highly suggest you read this because it's amazing. basically this former yakuzu boss gets married and becomes a house husband. but he won't just be a regular house husband, he's going to be the best one you've ever seen.
Melanie
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the manga I didn't know I needed in my whole life. It's like a mix of Sakamoto Desuga and One Punch Man, with a pinch of Tokusatsu GaGaGa. There are so many situations that are so absurd you can't help but laughing. I'm anxiously looking forward for the next volumes!
Julie Hayes
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once a fierce Yakuza known as “the immortal Dragon”, Tatsu has chosen to walk a different path now—the way of the househusband. He is very meticulous in everything he does, whether it’s meal preparation, laundry, or feeding the cat. He takes each duty very seriously and does the best he can, always eager to learn new ways to improve his performance.

The trouble is, people remember him for what he was, or they make assumptions based on his seemingly fierce appearance. On the other hand, his past

• Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san, Vol. 1
  • Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san, Vol. 2
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。volume 1 (Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu., #1)
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。 volume 2 (Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu., #2)
  • The Wize Wize Beasts of the Wizarding Wizdoms
  • かくかくしかじか 2 (Kakukaku Shikajika, #2)
  • BEASTARS 1 (Beastars, #1)
  • Monster and the Beast, Vol. 2
  • Our Dining Table
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。 volume 3 (Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu., #3)
  • ばけもの夜話づくし 1 [Bakemono no Yawazukushi 1] (Phantom Tales of the Night, #1)
  • 金のひつじ 1 [Kin no hitsuji 1] (The golden sheep, #1)
  • 魔法使いの印刷所 1 [Mahoutsukai no Insatsujo 1] (A Witch's Printing Office, #1)
  • BEASTARS 2 (Beastars, #2)
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 3 [Shimanami Tasogare 3]
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。volume 4 (Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu., #4)
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 2 [Shimanami Tasogare 2]
  • 怪しことがたり 1 (Ayashi kotogatari, #1)
Kousuke Oono (おおのこうすけ; Oono Kousuke) is a japanese mangaka.

Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband (5 books)
  • 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • 極主夫道 3 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #3)
  • 極主夫道 4 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #4)
  • 極主夫道 5 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #5)