Start by marking “The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1

The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1

(極主夫道 / Gokushufudō #1)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  7,982 ratings  ·  1,041 reviews
Housework without honor or humanity

He was the fiercest member of the yakuza, a man who left countless underworld legends in his wake. They called him “the Immortal Dragon.” But one day he walked away from it all to walk another path—the path of the househusband! The curtain rises on this cozy yakuza comedy!
Published September 17th 2019 by VIZ Media LLC (first published August 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1

·  7,982 ratings  ·  1,041 reviews

Start your review of The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 1
The Artisan Geek
18/7/20
Hands down the funniest manga I have ever read wow. The wholesome of this manga in combination with this dude being an ex-Yakuza member is actually the best ever. I need to read all the other volumes asap.

18/7/20
Read the first couple of pages yesterday and I am hooked! A Yakuza turned Househusband?! This is freaking hilarious haha!!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website | The Storygraph
Tim
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, reviewed
A gag manga is only as good as the main gag. The entire point of a good gag manga is that it can take that one joke, use it in various situation while keeping it fresh, and most importantly funny. It has to be repetitive, without feeling repetitive. Fortunately in the case of this series, the joke is exceptionally good.

Here we follow the daily life of a househusband, as he does such common things as making lunch, cleaning house and trying to get groceries while they are on sale. All common plac
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Excuse me, I think I have a new favorite manga series.

This is absolutely adorable and hilarious. I love how each chapter starts off with a vague scene that comes across as violent or sketchy, and then there's always a reveal that his goings-on are totally innocent and helpful. Honestly, just absolutely precious and I laughed out loud so many times reading this one volume that I already can't wait for Vol. 2!

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this review copy in exchange for
Bookishrealm
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting manga and I really ended up enjoying it. I'd had my eye on it for a while and I really was curious on whether I was going to enjoy it or not. The Way of the Househusband focuses on a Yakuza boss named Tatsu who ends up falling in love and leaving the gangster lifestyle behind. While his partner works, Tatsu works at home as a househusband. It was hilarious watching him work through his daily house duties while maintaining some qualities that are reminiscent of his gangste ...more
K.
Way more hilarious than I anticipated, even given the concept of a former notorious yakuza settling down to be a house-husband for his career-minded wife. There's this:

But mostly it's this:

With some of this:

Artemy
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yesss! Here’s my new favorite gag manga. The premise is genius — a former Yakuza boss decides to abandon his criminal past and become, you guessed it, a househusband. Follow him as he gets into bargain bin sales, apartment cleaning, cooking, DIY and all that good stuff, while occasionally trying to manage former fellow gang members who are not yet accustomed to seeing their old boss in this new stage of his life. The jokes are hilarious, the characters are delightful, the art is fantastic and th ...more
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
I want to read this so bad it sounds so wholesome and I can't

It's giving me Samurai Cat vibes, tbh. Bad-ass/give no fucks bae with secret weakness for soft things.
Skye Kilaen
This seems to be one of those manga where you either love it, or it just seems pointless. I'm in the former camp. The transposition of the main character's badass yakuza seriousness into the environment of cooking classes and housecleaning is cracking me up. I'm really looking forward to the next volume, as I could see it either staying vignette / slice-of-life format, or that there could be a storyline developing since not everyone from his former life is happy that he's retired. Either way, I' ...more
Melki
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Is he the Yakuza who single-handedly broke up ten rival factions in a single night - unarmed! OR, just a simple guy who likes to cook and clean while his wife brings home the bacon?

description

Could be either, could be both . . . the way of the house-husband and the way of the Yakuza are connected.

This was a fun read, and I plan to continue with the series.

description

I can't wait til this happy couple has kids!
Dave Schaafsma
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, gn-humor
The winner of the 2020 Eisner Award for Best Humor Publication, The Way of the Househusband, vol. 1, by Kousuke Oono, translation by Sheldon Drzka, is about a former legendary Yakuza (Japanese gangster), Tatsu, also known as the Golden Dragon, who walked away from that life, and stayed home to take care of the home as his (rather ordinary) wife worked. He cooks, he cleans, he shops, and occasionally he is seen by tough punks on the street who can't believe he is now more into cooking than anythi ...more
Auntie Terror
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-comic
Very amusing and unexpectedly absurd at times. Curious to see where this is actually headed.
James DeSantis
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
100th booked review in 2021! Let's goooooooooooooooo!

So this is turning out to be one of my favorite mangas already.

A Ex-yakuza decides to live the househusband way. His wife goes to work and during that time he gets into all types of adventures. Dealing with a cleaning robot, trying to cook the best meal he can, buying a present for his wife and so on. It's all over the top, all very funny, and such a quickly paced manga I read it in about 15-20 minutes.

But it has a lot of heart. A lot of gr
Shannon
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2020
2.5
Ehhh ... I have a feeling this gag could get old real quick, the story needs a little more substance.
Nicolo
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
You can take a man out of the Yakuza, but you can't take Yakuza out of the man.

What we have here is a collection of episodic chapters chronicling the domestic life of a former gangster as he takes on the challenges of cleaning, cooking, and home improvement projects with the same intensity he did when he was a Yakuza enforcer.

Right there is a recipe for some of the funniest short stories in manga. 5 stars.

March 10, 2021.
Netflix adapted this manga into an anime. Based on the trailer, it go
Mitticus
2 stars b/c made me snooze.

Art - 3.5
Story - what story?

Good art, but Gag Manga is not for me.

A feared Yakuza turned househusband that takes day-to-day chores very serious. The way the people acts with his so-called fierce facade and way to do things is supposedly funny.

It have just 'chapters' , with not story or former story of the change just vignettes with no arc.

Didn't work for me. I expected something else. Sorrynotsorry.
Lauren
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga

Oh dear...this manga really fell flat for me :/

The basic premise is a former yakuza boss adapting to life as a house husband, and being his ‘typical’ self, he takes everything SERIOUSLY (including food shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc.) The chapters were very short and the same gags were used repeatedly. We don’t really learn anything about the MC except his former occupation and he really doesn’t seem that terrifying apart from his expression which does look murderous.

The manga was i
Maia
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, manga
An extremely silly premise, executed perfectly. The main character is a former feared Yakuza, who has chosen a different path. Now married to a woman with a busy career, "Tacchan" has become a househusband, spending his days packing extremely cute bento boxes, smart shopping with grocery store coupons, taking on DIY home improvement projects and occasionally babysitting neighbors children. Most people are terrified of him, and former enemies are still frequently hanging around town, but Tacchan ...more
Ris Sasaki
3,5 ⭐

This is the kind of idiotic fun that I want in my life.
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

I have seen this manga on my Tumblr dashboard a few times here and there, and always pushed it back on my manga TBR pile but after seeing this on Netgalley I just knew I had to dive right on it and I have no regrets.

“The Way of the Househusband” refreshing concept revolves around a former yakuza legend, ‘The Immortal Dragon’ who leaves behind his former lifestyle to become your everyday househusband. It was refreshing, unexpected, original and more comical than I anticipated so
Moraa
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
entertaining and unashamedly hilarious
will definitely be picking up the next volume
Subham
Apr 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was so fun! We pick up with the immortal dragon or Tatsu, this deadly Yakuza guy whose now a househusband and he performs his duties as that and this manga is a quick read and focuses on slice of life adventures with him and its comedical and there are fun chapters like him tryna vs cleaning machine, making food, getting fit for his wife Miku or going to supermarket with her or fun stuff with his Yakuza-mate Masa and its so well done! It reads quickly but like its so fun and a great stress ...more
Kemora Johnson
The way of the househusband is hilarious 😂. Former Yakuza boss Tatsu is known as "The Immortal dragon 🐉"
He takes on the duties of a househusband and he’s left his old life alone but he is still a Yakuza at heart. That’s just fine because he does it all with an apron and a snarl.

The artwork is beautiful and it’s just a joy to read. Each chapter is a new story but that what gives it the overall after-school cartoon feel. Read this if you need a cute little get away read and want to laugh.

I needed
Yan
Apr 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
I finally picked this up because the ONA is airing at the moment! This is so hilarious! Love it a lot!
Carol Flores
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Tatsu is used to be one of the most powerful men amongst the yakuza, but now that he’s married, he’s a househusband. We see him clean, cook, get the groceries and basically taking care of everything related to his home while his wife is at work.

And whilst I did found this story very entertaining, it’s doesn’t have a plot per se. All the chapters are short and random but you still get the idea that Tatsu can never get rid of his powerful aura as a yakuza.

I did laugh a lot and I think the art sty
Rod Brown
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A humor manga built around one joke: a former member of the Yakuza is now a loving and doting househusband, doing all the cleaning, cooking and shopping while his otaku wife brings home the bacon. Complications arise because he still looks like a thug and the gangsters with whom he used to compete and associate keep popping up at unexpected moments.

The chapters in this first volume are very episodic and focused on going for the laugh, but the creator is slowly building up a supporting cast and
~maheen~
Loved the fan-coloured edition, I really thought that brought the mc out to life.

And I can't wait to get my hands on Vol. 2 ;P
Geoff
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Diverting gag manga that bases its humor on pretty outdated gender roles (He's a Yakuza Assaasin! And he's cooking! And telling a Roomba how to clean!) but actually held my interest from the domestic vignettes and from the way the househusband does his husbandry yakuza style. Slightly retrograde, but still really charming. ...more
Maria

I love everything about this concept! An ex-Yakuza, now Househusband? Yes please, sign me up. This was hilarious from start to finish. I also loved, that each chapter was kind of its own little mini-story rather than the whole volume being one continuous story! I'd definitely continue with this series in the future!

Note: I am currently on a hiatus from reviewing. I need a bit of a break from the pressures of reading, so I'm just going with the flow this year. I'll obviously still be reading, but
Mehsi
Tatsu is a very feared Yakuza, but don’t worry, all he wants in life now is to be a good househusband. Will Tatsu be able to do that?

I have seen a lot of people talk about this manga on Twitter and I was eager to try it out. Today I was in the mood for something silly and fun, which I could use after almost 2 weeks of continuous work on my new home + packing up stuff in my old home.

And I have to say it was very funny at times, mostly to do with how Tatsu does his cleaning or how he goes about do
Amanja
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original post can be found at https://amanjareads.com/2020/08/21/th...

The Way of the House Husband, volume 1, is the first in a series of manga about a former Yakuza crime boss who has retired to the home life.

He is married to a career woman and takes his role as house husband very seriously. He maintains the house, does the shopping, does the cooking, and every other little detail to make sure that they have a happy life together.

He does all of this with a crime boss' intensity. The premise i

• SPY×FAMILY 1 (Spy x Family, #1)
  • SPY×FAMILY 2 (Spy x Family, #2)
  • A Man and His Cat, Vol. 1
  • SPY×FAMILY 3 (Spy x Family, #3)
  • Komi Can’t Communicate, Vol. 1
  • Chainsaw Man, Vol. 1
  • 聖☆おにいさん 1 [Saint onii-san 1]
  • 呪術廻戦 1 [Jujutsu Kaisen 1]
  • SPY×FAMILY 4 (Spy x Family, #4)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, Vol. 6
  • A Man and His Cat, Vol. 2
  • 飴色パラドックス 2 [Ameiro Paradox 2] (Candy Color Paradox #2)
  • BLACK TORCH 5 (BLACK TORCH, #5)
  • Takane & Hana, Vol. 12
  • Cats of the Louvre (Musée du Louvre #14 & 15)
  • The Drifting Classroom: Perfect Edition, Vol. 1
  • 約束のネバーランド 11 [Yakusoku no Neverland 11]
  • テンジュの国 1 [Tenju no Kuni 1] (Blissful Land, #1)
See top shelves…
Japanese mangaka. Aka おおのこうすけ (Ōno Kōsuke) creator of Gokushufudou. ...more

極主夫道 / Gokushufudō (8 books)
  • 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • 極主夫道 3 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #3)
  • 極主夫道 4 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #4)
  • 極主夫道 5 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #5)
  • 極主夫道 6 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #6)
  • 極主夫道 7 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #7)
  • 極主夫道 8 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband, #8)