Start by marking “The Flatshare” as Want to Read:
The Flatshare

The Flatshare

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  91,543 ratings  ·  13,090 reviews
Tiffy Moore and Leon Twomey each have a problem and need a quick fix.

Tiffy’s been dumped by her cheating boyfriend and urgently needs a new flat. But earning minimum wage at a quirky publishing house means that her choices are limited in London.

Leon, a palliative care nurse, is more concerned with other people’s welfare than his own. Along with working night shifts looking
Published March 5th 2020 by Quercus (first published April 10th 2019)

·  91,543 ratings  ·  13,090 reviews

Start your review of The Flatshare
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 8/5/19: Y'all, I still love this SO DAMN MUCH. The characters in this book are some of my favorite characters of all time. Tiffy is so strong and complex and goofy and Leon is so soft and caring but also serious and MY HEART IS SO FULL. Brb while I swoon from here to eternity. I'm gonna love this book forever.

Original read 5/26/19: I loved this I loved this I loved this I LOVED THIS. Oh my god, I loved this.

TW: gaslighting, emotional abuse, stalking
Warda
And here you are, book, going on my favourites list.

This was a pleasant surprise in the best way possible. I knew that I would enjoy it, but I fell in love instead.

It’s a quiet, heartwarming story that follows Tiffy and Leon. Both have agreed on an unusual arrangement between themselves and are sharing not only a flat, but a bed together. But they don’t see each other. Tiffy has the apartment to herself in the evenings, and when she’s off to work, that’s when Leon comes home.

During this arran
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
This was boring and I just didn't feel the chemistry, so just pretty disappointing. I'll elaborate more in a recent reads video
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring
Three dull, unsatisfied stars gave my shiny place in the minority among the readers who gave so much stars to this one⭐️⭐️⭐️
I mostly like chic-lit books especially written by Irish and British writers. I like Marian Keyes’ books which shouldn’t be defined as soft chic lit ones because of the characters’ heavy baggages and emotional problems ( alcoholism, denial the dead of loved ones, abuse victims)
On this book our heroine Tiffi suffers from emotional abuse and with flashbacks of her relationshi
jessica
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this story really grew on me, in the best way possible. i guess its true what they say, that opposites attract, because a couple of things that would normally be off-putting to me as a reader (tiffy being stereotypically ‘quirky’ and the odd writing/formatting of leons chapters) turned out to be very endearing and made me enjoy the story that much more.

i love how this radiated british humour. its so understated, undervalued even, and i thought leon was hilarious. both characters are charming an
✨ A ✨
It’s weird how easily you can get to know someone from the traces they leave behind.

The best kinds of books are those that surprise you with their perfection. I was expecting this to be a cutesy light hearted read. It was and it wasn't. The characters were more complex than I had anticipated and so was the plot.

Tiffy is desperate for a place to live and Leon is short on cash. They come to an odd arrangement. They will share not only a flat but the same bed. Leon has the flat for the day unt
Charlotte May
I couldn’t be more surprised that I actually enjoyed this book. A romance?! Who am I?!

Tiffy has just gone through a messy break up, she has very little money and desperately needs to find somewhere to live. Leon is paying costs for his brother and could do with some extra cash.

They strike a deal, share a flat and even a bed, but they will never be there at the same time. Leon works night shifts so he will have the flat during the day while Tiffy works 9-5 and she’ll have it at night.

Tiffy and
Emer (A Little Haze)
now available in both hardback and eBook format in the UK / Ireland

Yasssssss!!! Oh I have been waiting for a book like this one to come along FOR YEARS! The Flatshare is exactly what I want from a romantic comedy/dramedy type book... It's got hugely likeable protagonists in the form of Tiffy and Leon, a highly original setup for the meeting of these two characters, a cast of interesting supporting characters and side storylines but most of all... It feels fresh!!! Hallelujah for that. I have fou
BernLuvsBooks
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-reads, 2019
4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Adorable, Left Me Feeling Content Stars for Beth O'Leary's The Flatshare

This book worked its way into my heart with its:
~ slow burn romance (and I'm usually not a slow burn fan!)
~ adorable post-it notes (I LOVED reading the back & forth notes!)
~ fierce, quirky & hilariously inappropriate friends (everyone needs a Tribe like this in their life!)
~ subtle yet frank look at emotional/psychological abuse (totally unexpected but handled appropriately for this type of read)

There is unexpect
emma
This book is now a Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for romance, and it's also MY Goodreads Choice for romance, meaning this is very good and I enjoyed reading it and also Goodreads was involved.

When I first read the synopsis of this book, I thought: I think I'll like this very much.

Then I read a little bit of it and thought: Actually I do not think this is going to go very well. In fact I think this is going to go rather badly.

Then I finished it and thought: As I said and as I, a liar, always b
Corina
I often lament that romance novels have started to feel the same to me after reading as many as I’ve read over the years. It’s hard for me to distinguish the many novels I read unless they are utterly unique. I’m happy to say, that Beth O’Learly did what I wish many other authors would do, she wrote a debut novel that was quirky, unique and had a most engaging plot.

The Flatshare was a feel-good novel that was hard to forget. Memorable from begging to end, thanks to fabulously vibrant and distinc
Paromjit
This is a charming and lovely piece of contemporary fiction from Beth O'Leary that takes an interesting premise of a one bedroom flat in London being shared by two occupants who never meet, each in residence, sleeping in the same bed, when the other is out or working. A more exploitative version of this is the overcrowded sharing of accommodation in the desperate working conditions experienced by trafficked, illegal and migrant workers. This is a more benign and comic take focusing on the dire f ...more
may ❀
y'all trying to convince me to settle for real life men when guys like Leon Twomey exist in the fictional realm????

that's just so unrealistic 🙄🙄🙄
Gabby
I should have known from the blurb on the front cover saying: “The new Jojo Moyes” that this book was not gonna be my thing. This is a contemporary romance novel about this girl Tiffy who’s boyfriends breaks up with her and she needs a place to live, so she moves into this apartment where Leon lives. Leon is a nurse and he works at night and he only uses the bed/apartment during the day so he needs a roommate to help him pay rent, and so Tiffy moves in and they share the same bed but they’ve nev ...more
Larry H
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

This book was just sweet and fun and it made me happy!

Tiffy is in need of a place to live, since she’s lived in her ex-boyfriend’s apartment for far too long, even after he’d begun dating someone else. But since she’s in a low-paying job, there aren’t a lot of options, so a flatshare opportunity makes the most sense.

Leon is a hospice nurse who works nights, and she works days, so they’ll literally never see each other, which is what convinces her to take this opportunity, even if it me
preoccupiedbybooks
This book and I had a second chance love affair!

At first I didn't like the way that one of the main characters spoke, without many pronouns, like he was speaking in note form, rather than in full sentences?

I very nearly gave up on it!

But then I wouldn't have gotten to know Tiffany, Rachel, Gerty, Mo, Leon and, Richie.

Then I wouldn't have witnessed Tiffy's amazing character Arc.

I wouldn't have seen all the cute little notes, and seen these really different people get to know, each other.

Then I w
Christy
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

photo 1208F527-6EDE-441C-8B8E-CBB870BC8566_zpsepf82ftx.png

I almost can’t believe that The Flatshare is a debut novel. Beth O’Leary delivered an original and fun to read romance that I adored.

Tiffy is looking for a place to live in London after another break up with her on again, off again ex-boyfriend Justin. The problem is, she can’t afford much. When she sees an ad for a Flatshare with a guy who works nights and is away on weekends, she jumps at it. Even if it does seem a bit odd at first.

Leon is a hospice nurse who works nights and is lo
;3
when i say all men are trash, leon twomey is obviously exempted
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
❥ 4.5 / 5 stars

This book is so sweet that I wanna find a flatmate right now. ㅜ—ㅜ
Sara
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this whilst on a plane and i must say its the perfect travel read as its a very easy read, so sweet and heart warming!

I loved Tiffy and Leon as individuals, and thought they were so adorable as a couple!

Would recommend.
The Flatshare incorporates elements of adult romance, family/relationship drama, and brief domestic suspense all under a fairly original and likable umbrella. I enjoyed the epistolary components between 2 roommates that have never met and I liked the premise overall (3 stars).

My favorite quote:
N/A
Samantha
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
3.75 stars - this was very cute and I really enjoyed the couple, but we didn’t get very much of them in the grand scheme of things and I was expecting more romance. They both have more serious things going on individually but really support each other and I’d have liked to see more happy times between them.

TW: emotionally abusing ex; stalking; sibling in prison

Tropes:
- bed sharing
Jayme
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I generally read and review, “Mystery and Suspense” novels, it doesn’t mean that I don’t occasionally enjoy seeing a Romantic Comedy in the theater, 🍿, or reading one when I just need a “feel good” story!

I needed one this week. And, I am happy to say that this book did not let me down!

Tiffy Moore needed a cheap place to live.

Leon Twomey needed some extra money.

The problem: He lives in a flat that has just one bedroom, and one bed.

The Solution: He will live there by day (he works nig
Umut Rados
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2019
Let's cut it short if you don't want to read the whole review. If you like to read contemporary feel good books that'll cheer you up, chick-lits, light spring/summer reads, you MUST read this book. It's a very good example of its kind that I haven't seen in a long time as a Sophie Kinsella fan.
On the cover it says the new Jojo Moyes. As far as I'm concerned, this is much better! And, it's not a depressive book under the shelter of its umbrella.

When I opened the book and started to read about T
Ankita Barik
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is undoubtedly the most unique story I have read off lately. The narrative is inclusive, keeping in mind the personality of the two protagonists, which I found to be totally refreshing and engrossing.

When it is Tiffy's chapter, the narrative is verbose, quirky and loud with emotions. And when it switches to Leon, it is crisp, thoughtful and guarded. It was like reading their minds talk through their chapters. This kind of narrative gives the reader a real glance at the emotions, the charac
EmBibliophile
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
3.5

‘Tiffy & Leon share a flat. Tiffy & Leon share a bed. Tiffy & Leon have never met.’

That was such a unique adorable book.

To be honest, I almost gave up on it. I couldn’t get over how annoying the chapters in Leon’s POV were written. I was so frustrated, and couldn’t see the point in it. But then I see hope in the book and I decided to keep going.

Also because the cover is gorgeous! It would be a shame to give up on a book with a cover like that.

Tiffy and Leon have an unusual agreement. Those t
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I'm going to be an outlier on this one because it just left me cold. Tiffy is a weak idiot who longs for her ex even though he has treated her like crap. By the third time her friends had to talk her out of making romantic overtures to him I was just done. It doesn't help that she is working a job that pays next to zero and where she's obviously not taken seriously. So she's weak on all fronts, is what I'm saying. I found her pathetic and just couldn't face a whole novel of her whingeing.

Leon is
Brandice
In The Flatshare strangers Tiffy and Leon decide to give this unusual arrangement a go, as one needs a new place to live and the other could use the extra income. Their opposite schedules mean they aren’t actually occupying the flat at the same time. They communicate through post-it notes around the flat, getting to know each other over time via this correspondence without actually meeting.

Eventually, Tiffy and Leon do meet in person, though both are a bit cautious in their early interactions f
Anne Bogel
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this entire novel in one sitting on a Sunday afternoon; it's a romantic comedy that manages to tackle serious issues while maintaining a light and breezy feel. Don't miss the backstory on how the author's personal life inspired the premise, and how she managed to write nearly every word of the 320-page novel on her own commute in and out of London. There are a few spicy scenes but this romance is mostly closed-door.
TheBibliotheque ♡
"Eventually she leans forward and kisses me slowly, tasting of icing.
Tiffy: I'll be worth the wait. You'll see.
As if I'd ever doubted it."

Sometimes, when I stumble upon a book I have this strong and powerful certainty that that is a book for me. My gut tells me that this is a book with the raw potential to make me fall in love with. And guys, my gut is often wrong. As soon as I spotted The Flatshare cover, an alarm went off in my head. By the time I had read the synopsis I was certain this was a

• If I Never Met You
  • Beach Read
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Our Stop
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Blood Orange
  • The Friend Zone
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • In Five Years
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • Queenie
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Half a World Away
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
Beth studied English at university before going into children’s publishing. She lives as close to the countryside as she can get while still being within reach of London, and wrote her first novel, The Flatshare, on her train journey to and from work.
You’ll usually find her curled up with a book, a cup of tea, and several woolly jumpers (whatever the weather).

Articles featuring this book

“Being nice is a good thing. You can be strong and nice. You don’t have to be one or the other.” 88 likes
“Remind myself that there is no saving of people —people can only save themselves. The best you can do is help when they're ready.” 49 likes