Start by marking “The Flatshare” as Want to Read:
The Flatshare

The Flatshare

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  186,663 ratings  ·  23,682 reviews
Tiffy and Leon share a flat
Tiffy and Leon share a bed
Tiffy and Leon have never met…

Tiffy Moore needs a cheap flat, and fast. Leon Twomey works nights and needs cash. Their friends think they’re crazy, but it’s the perfect solution: Leon occupies the one-bed flat while Tiffy’s at work in the day, and she has the run of the place the rest of the time.

But with obsessive
Published March 5th 2020 by Quercus (first published April 10th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Flatshare, please sign up.
Natasha Eleanor Oriphat is completely fine. It's hilarious and contemporary. Takes place in Scotland, but main character is English. Very Cute.…moreEleanor Oriphat is completely fine. It's hilarious and contemporary. Takes place in Scotland, but main character is English. Very Cute.(less)
Aesha I think it’s fairly clear he’s a person of color... but regardless, of course being Black and being Irish aren’t mutually exclusive.

·  186,663 ratings  ·  23,682 reviews

Start your review of The Flatshare
Cindy
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so cute and sweet! The premise is a little hard to believe at first, and I was not a fan of the writing style for Leon, but I was able to get over that once the main characters began interacting and we learn more about their background stories. The romance is very fluffy and wholesome - a wonderful reprieve to balance how the story is rooted in serious topics (healing from an emotionally abusive relationship and dealing with a family member in prison). I appreciated that the romance too ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 10/13/20: I picked this up bc I've been feeling really slumpy and wow, I love love 🥺 This book and these characters mean the world to me!!!

Re-read 8/5/19: Y'all, I still love this SO DAMN MUCH. The characters in this book are some of my favorite characters of all time. Tiffy is so strong and complex and goofy and Leon is so soft and caring but also serious and MY HEART IS SO FULL. Brb while I swoon from here to eternity. I'm gonna love this book forever.

Original read 5/26/19: I loved th
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
This was boring and I just didn't feel the chemistry, so just pretty disappointing. I'll elaborate more in a recent reads video ...more
Warda
And here you are, book, going on my favourites list.

This was a pleasant surprise in the best way possible. I knew that I would enjoy it, but I fell in love instead.

It’s a quiet, heartwarming story that follows Tiffy and Leon. Both have agreed on an unusual arrangement between themselves and are sharing not only a flat, but a bed together. But they don’t see each other. Tiffy has the apartment to herself in the evenings, and when she’s off to work, that’s when Leon comes home.

During this arran
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring
Three dull, unsatisfied stars gave my shiny place in the minority among the readers who gave so much stars to this one⭐️⭐️⭐️
I mostly like chic-lit books especially written by Irish and British writers. I like Marian Keyes’ books which shouldn’t be defined as soft chic lit ones because of the characters’ heavy baggages and emotional problems ( alcoholism, denial the dead of loved ones, abuse victims)
On this book our heroine Tiffi suffers from emotional abuse and with flashbacks of her relationshi
✨ A ✨
It’s weird how easily you can get to know someone from the traces they leave behind.

The best kinds of books are those that surprise you with their perfection. I was expecting this to be a cutesy light hearted read. It was and it wasn't. The characters were more complex than I had anticipated and so was the plot.

Tiffy is desperate for a place to live and Leon is short on cash. They come to an odd arrangement. They will share not only a flat but the same bed. Leon has the flat for the day unt
jessica
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this story really grew on me, in the best way possible. i guess its true what they say, that opposites attract, because a couple of things that would normally be off-putting to me as a reader (tiffy being stereotypically ‘quirky’ and the odd writing/formatting of leons chapters) turned out to be very endearing and made me enjoy the story that much more.

i love how this radiated british humour. its so understated, undervalued even, and i thought leon was hilarious. both characters are charming an
Meredith
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
Sweet with Minimal Eye Rolls!

Since there are so many wonderful reviews of this book, I am going to skip the plot summary and jump right into my reading experience.

I started reading this book with a bit of trepidation. The premise had me shaking my head a bit, but I decided to shut off my brain and went with it. As I started reading, I almost gave up. Tiffy felt like just another cliche eccentric chick-lit character, and Leon’s lack of pronoun usage drove me crazy (I never got over this elemen
♛ may
y'all trying to convince me to settle for real life men when guys like Leon Twomey exist in the fictional realm????

that's just so unrealistic 🙄🙄🙄
MarilynW
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary, Carrie Hope Fletcher (Narrator ), Kwaku Fortune (Narrator)

Tiffy needs to get away from her horrible on/off on/off boyfriend. She's sure everything is her fault because he tells her so. Leon needs extra money so he advertises for a flatmate. He'll be at his flat during weekdays, to sleep during the day, and his flatmate can have the apartment (and the only bed) for the rest of the time. No need for either flatmate to ever see the other. Tiffy takes the flat and she
Charlotte May
I couldn’t be more surprised that I actually enjoyed this book. A romance?! Who am I?!

Tiffy has just gone through a messy break up, she has very little money and desperately needs to find somewhere to live. Leon is paying costs for his brother and could do with some extra cash.

They strike a deal, share a flat and even a bed, but they will never be there at the same time. Leon works night shifts so he will have the flat during the day while Tiffy works 9-5 and she’ll have it at night.

Tiffy and
elena
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Remind myself that there is no saving people—people can only save themselves. The best you can do is help when they’re ready.

I went into The Flatshare with high hopes at first, but after seeing a couple of mixed reviews about it, I became less excited about it, and honestly, I can’t complain. The premise of this sounded adorable, but it lacked in investment and depth.

In The Flatshare we follow Leon and Tiffy who become flatmates. Simply said, Tiffy needs a cheep place to live at and
Gabby
I should have known from the blurb on the front cover saying: “The new Jojo Moyes” that this book was not gonna be my thing. This is a contemporary romance novel about this girl Tiffy who’s boyfriends breaks up with her and she needs a place to live, so she moves into this apartment where Leon lives. Leon is a nurse and he works at night and he only uses the bed/apartment during the day so he needs a roommate to help him pay rent, and so Tiffy moves in and they share the same bed but they’ve nev ...more
emma
This book is now a Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for romance, and it's also MY Goodreads Choice for romance, meaning this is very good and I enjoyed reading it and also Goodreads was involved.

When I first read the synopsis of this book, I thought: I think I'll like this very much.

Then I read a little bit of it and thought: Actually I do not think this is going to go very well. In fact I think this is going to go rather badly.

Then I finished it and thought: As I said and as I, a liar, always b
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
now available in both hardback and eBook format in the UK / Ireland

Yasssssss!!! Oh I have been waiting for a book like this one to come along FOR YEARS! The Flatshare is exactly what I want from a romantic comedy/dramedy type book... It's got hugely likeable protagonists in the form of Tiffy and Leon, a highly original setup for the meeting of these two characters, a cast of interesting supporting characters and side storylines but most of all... It feels fresh!!! Hallelujah for that. I have fou
BernLuvsBooks
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, adult-reads
4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Adorable, Left Me Feeling Content Stars for Beth O'Leary's The Flatshare

This book worked its way into my heart with its:
~ slow burn romance (and I'm usually not a slow burn fan!)
~ adorable post-it notes (I LOVED reading the back & forth notes!)
~ fierce, quirky & hilariously inappropriate friends (everyone needs a Tribe like this in their life!)
~ subtle yet frank look at emotional/psychological abuse (totally unexpected but handled appropriately for this type of read)

There is unexpect
Corina
I often lament that romance novels have started to feel the same to me after reading as many as I’ve read over the years. It’s hard for me to distinguish the many novels I read unless they are utterly unique. I’m happy to say, that Beth O’Learly did what I wish many other authors would do, she wrote a debut novel that was quirky, unique and had a most engaging plot.

The Flatshare was a feel-good novel that was hard to forget. Memorable from begging to end, thanks to fabulously vibrant and distinc
Paromjit
This is a charming and lovely piece of contemporary fiction from Beth O'Leary that takes an interesting premise of a one bedroom flat in London being shared by two occupants who never meet, each in residence, sleeping in the same bed, when the other is out or working. A more exploitative version of this is the overcrowded sharing of accommodation in the desperate working conditions experienced by trafficked, illegal and migrant workers. This is a more benign and comic take focusing on the dire f ...more
;3
when i say all men are trash, leon twomey is obviously exempted
Michael David
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fun and heartfelt novel, from the author of The Switch, is just what I never knew I needed to read this weekend.

Tiffy needs a place to stay, pronto. Her ex-boyfriend is kicking her out of his home. With little money and a fragile heart, she decides to do a flatshare. Essentially, she will move into Leon’s flat, share the living room area, share the kitchen, share the bathroom, and share a bed.

Before your dirty mind hits the gutter, just know that the intention is that they will never meet
preoccupiedbybooks
This book and I had a second chance love affair!

At first I didn't like the way that one of the main characters spoke, without many pronouns, like he was speaking in note form, rather than in full sentences?

I very nearly gave up on it!

But then I wouldn't have gotten to know Tiffany, Rachel, Gerty, Mo, Leon and, Richie.

Then I wouldn't have witnessed Tiffy's amazing character Arc.

I wouldn't have seen all the cute little notes, and seen these really different people get to know, each other.

Then I w
Susanne  Strong
Totes Adorbs.

If you’re in need of a light, sweet rom com that will pick you up when you’re feeling down, grab “The Flatshare” by Beth O’Leary - it hits all the right notes.

Tiffy and Leon become Flatmates in the most unusual of ways. Leon, you see, works nights and Tiffy works days so they stay in the apartment in shifts, with Leon having it during the day and Tiffy on nights and weekends. The two communicate only by post-it notes and learn all about each other’s lives that way, hearing funny, qu
Larry H
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

This book was just sweet and fun and it made me happy!

Tiffy is in need of a place to live, since she’s lived in her ex-boyfriend’s apartment for far too long, even after he’d begun dating someone else. But since she’s in a low-paying job, there aren’t a lot of options, so a flatshare opportunity makes the most sense.

Leon is a hospice nurse who works nights, and she works days, so they’ll literally never see each other, which is what convinces her to take this opportunity, even if it me
Christy
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

photo 1208F527-6EDE-441C-8B8E-CBB870BC8566_zpsepf82ftx.png

I almost can’t believe that The Flatshare is a debut novel. Beth O’Leary delivered an original and fun to read romance that I adored.

Tiffy is looking for a place to live in London after another break up with her on again, off again ex-boyfriend Justin. The problem is, she can’t afford much. When she sees an ad for a Flatshare with a guy who works nights and is away on weekends, she jumps at it. Even if it does seem a bit odd at first.

Leon is a hospice nurse who works nights and is lo
Farrah
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⭐4 I had no idea that falling in love through Post-It Notes would be soooo cute Stars⭐

This whole book is just ADORABLE.
Even when things are conflict-y it's still adorable.

I liked Tiffy and Leon and enjoyed the secondary characters that all added to the story rather than just being there to fill space.

A super fun, light and innocent rom-com.
Tina
This is a romance. The main characters Tiffy and Leon end up sharing a flat and a bed, but they are not going to met. Leon works nights and Tiffy works day, and they setup hours they get the flat. They start leaving posted notes around the flat, and they fall in love with each other through the posted notes they leave around the flat for each other. I really loved this book, and I loved both of the characters. If you love friend to lovers romance I think you will love this book. I say that becau ...more
Jayme
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I generally read and review, “Mystery and Suspense” novels, it doesn’t mean that I don’t occasionally enjoy seeing a Romantic Comedy in the theater, 🍿, or reading one when I just need a “feel good” story!

I needed one this week. And, I am happy to say that this book did not let me down!

Tiffy Moore needed a cheap place to live.

Leon Twomey needed some extra money.

The problem: He lives in a flat that has just one bedroom, and one bed.

The Solution: He will live there by day (he works nig
Sheyla ✎
Mar 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful story!

Meet her: Tiffy is going through a bad time. Her ex-boyfriend has kicked her out of his apartment and she needs a place to stay. She is a tall woman who dresses with things she enjoys and doesn't care what people think of it. She is an editor and currently, she is editing a crochet book. She has 3 great friends who support her despite her troubled relationship with Justin.

Meet him: Leon is a hospice nurse. He is a quiet person, an introvert, bordering on a loner. His bro
Sara
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this whilst on a plane and i must say its the perfect travel read as its a very easy read, so sweet and heart warming!

I loved Tiffy and Leon as individuals, and thought they were so adorable as a couple!

Would recommend.
demi. ♡
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
❥ 4.5 / 5 stars

This book is so sweet that I wanna find a flatmate right now. ㅜ—ㅜ

• Beach Read
  • The Hating Game
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • People We Meet on Vacation
  • If I Never Met You
  • Second First Impressions
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • The Ex Talk
  • Shipped
  • The Spanish Love Deception
  • The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1)
  • Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
  • The Soulmate Equation
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist (The Friend Zone, #2)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1)
  • Twice Shy
See top shelves…
Beth studied English at university before going into children’s publishing. She lives as close to the countryside as she can get while still being within reach of London, and wrote her first novel, The Flatshare, on her train journey to and from work.
You’ll usually find her curled up with a book, a cup of tea, and several woolly jumpers (whatever the weather).

Articles featuring this book

Haven't had a chance to pull out that passport in over a year? Yeah, we feel you. Luckily for all of us, these 15 new romances published since...
“Being nice is a good thing. You can be strong and nice. You don’t have to be one or the other.” 143 likes
“Remind myself that there is no saving of people —people can only save themselves. The best you can do is help when they're ready.” 111 likes