Start by marking “Anyone” as Want to Read:
Anyone

Anyone

Charles Soule brings his signature knowledge—and wariness--of technology to his sophomore novel set in a realistic future about a brilliant female scientist who creates a technology that allows for the transfer of human consciousness between bodies, and the transformations this process wreaks upon the world.

Inside a barn in Ann Arbor, Michigan, a scientist searching for an
Published December 3rd 2019 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about Anyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anyone

Start your review of Anyone
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Whose mind is using that body?

Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Gabriella White, a brilliant neurologist and scientist who’s searching for a cure to Alzheimer’s, is at the very end of the funding for her research project. In her frustration, she recklessly pushes the power for her lab equipment, a neural stimulation system, to the maximum … and accidentally finds herself in her husband Paul’s body in their nearby house, holding their beloved 11-month-old daughter, who they call
Tucker

Many thanks to Heather at Harper Perrenial for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Be anyone with Anyone!

This book started strong, with perfect pacing but, around the twenty-five percent mark, something just snapped. The plot clumsily tripped on its own feet-

-And fell flat to the ground, losing my interest in mere pages. I desperately clung to any interesting bits because I didn’t want to DNF this, especially because I DNF-ed Soule’s other book. But I hung on and I am (kind of)
Sylvain Neuvel
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who would you be if you could be anyone? I can tell you I’d really like to be Charles Soule and have written this book. ANYONE is an intense, superbly crafted, edge of your seat thrill ride. I loved the execution: two slowly converging storylines that collide in the most spectacular way, not to mention the most dedicated, hardcore character I’ve read in a long, long time. You really want to read this one.
Toya
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I found out that the main character was a female Ph.D. scientist, I needed a copy of Anyone like my life depended on it. And that synopsis? This girl was sold.

Dr. Gabrielle “Gabby” White is a Ph.D./M.D. cognitive neurologist who is desperately trying to find a cure for Alzheimer’s. Following the birth of her daughter Kat, Gabby decided to stay home and pursue her research by converting her barn into a state of the art lab, which is privately funded by Hendricks Capital while Paul
Dennis

I was hesitant to pick up Charles Soule's upcoming release, Anyone because I really didn't enjoy The Oracle last year. However, I heard nothing but fabulous things about this book so I decided I'd venture into Soule's world of writing one more time. Anyone takes place between two alternate timelines, following the creation of "the flash"—technology that allows its user to transfer their consciousness into another person's body, while the host's unconsciousness basically turns off.
Karen’s Library
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, sci-fi
Charles Soule outdid himself with his new techno thriller and I was completely hooked from the very first chapter.

I had a pretty major book hangover when I finished and couldn’t get the story out of my head for a few days.

Anyone switches back and forth between current day and 25 years in the future and focuses on tech that transfers consciousness into another human. The possibilities of what could happen using this kind of tech are endless and Soule hits on so many uses that made my head spin,
PostHuman
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anyone is a dazzling technothriller romp into a near future world where anyone can become....well, anyone else.

Driven, obsessive neuroscientist Gabrielle White has nearly exhausted her funding to research a potential Alzheimer's cure by manipulating neural signals with laser light patterns, when an accident sends her consciousness tumbling through the aether and directly into her husband's body.

If only she can figure out how to get back to her own body and somehow bring this technology to the
Loring Wirbel
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
One emerging popular topic in sci-fi and speculative fiction is the notion of a detailed neural map of a person being used or abused to create new concepts of immortality, or to create distributed intelligence across a fluctuating group. This theme has been used in Cory Doctorow's Walkaway, in Neal Stephenson's Fall, and now in Anyone, the second text-based novel by graphic novelist Charles Soule. Soule's first effort at a traditional novel, The Oracle Year, had a fascinating story line, but ...more
Faith
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was provided for review to our bookstore by the publisher. Xposted to Edelweiss.

In ANYONE, Charles Soule takes what was so fun about his novel THE ORACLE YEAR and perfects it. This has all the high paced adventure of a spy novel or an action film, and pairs it with the thoughtfulness that is found in really good science fiction. Soule puts his characters through unimaginable stressors to evaluate our views on race, identity, humanity, and the very existence of the self.
Brian
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The scientific and technical exploration of a Crichton novel with the pacing of a Patterson novel. Add to that Charles' own unique style of having his characters confront social, legal, and ethical issues while, at times, literally running for their lives without any loss in the story pacing.
"Today is the day you change the world." With that broad opening statement, Soule introduces the reader to a world where you can be anyone.....with Anyone.
Equal parts science fiction, legal thriller,
Unseen Library
Oct 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
For my latest Waiting on Wednesday, I am going to take a look at Anyone by Charles Soule, an intriguing science fiction novel that is coming out in December 2019.

Soule is an interesting writer who is probably best known for his contributions to the world of comics. Soule has authored a huge number of comic book series for a number of different companies over the years, including for Image Comics, where he has recently wrapped up his Curse Words series, and DC Comics. However, his most
Kate (kate_reads_)
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve been seeing this book around a lot and was a little wary of the hype - until a friend told me it was one of her favorite reads this year. I picked it up and figured I would just start it and then get on to my long to-do list. BAD IDEA. Once I picked this up, I couldn’t put it down. I let my to-do list fall - I was fully absorbed in this world and couldn’t come out until I turned the final page.

From the description on the back of the book: “Inside a barn in Ann Arbor, Michigan, a scientist
Laura (crofteereader)
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Armed with fantastic forward momentum, Anyone takes readers on a wild, action-packed journey through a technological, sociological, and very personal "what if" scenario. Gabrielle White, verifiable neuroscience genius, has one goal: change the world. But things are never quite that simple. Personally, I was so into the fact that our protagonist was a smart, capable black female scientist - that is definitely a huge point in Soule's favor.

Unfortunately, after the halfway point, the plot lost
Ian
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this title as a giveaway win via Instagram.

This was a hell of a technological thriller that will be absolutely devoured by fans of people like Blake Crouch and Ernest Cline. The dual storylines here are well balanced and developed in a way that keeps you tearing through pages until the very end. I had a lot of fun and recommend it as a fun year end book or a solid choice to hold on to until you're looking for beach reads. A number of people in the discussion
Katee
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2019
Thank you to Harper Perennial for a copy of this book.

What if you could drop into the body of anyone you wanted? Wanted to become Bill Gates for a few hours? How about a movie star or a rock star? With the technology developed by Anyone this fantasy has become a reality.

Anyone is a sci-fi book asking for an adaptation (don't worry one is in the works) with alternating timelines. One is making of the flash technology that allows individuals to transfer their consciousness into another body. The
Christina Marie Reads
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can be anyone with Anyone... This is one of those books that sinks it's teeth into you and refuses to let go long after you've finished it. What a horrifying, edge of your seat, page turner of a thrill ride!
Alyson Kent
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounded down because I felt that the middle of the book dragged a bit compared to the beginning and the end. What a roller coaster, though!
Emily
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in a goodreads giveaway. I loved the Oracle Year so I was very excited! WOW! This might be the craziest book I’ve ever read. The craziest. I could not stop reading this. Super fast paced, action packed and a mind bending story line. I loved it. And half of it took place in Detroit?? How awesome! Charles Soule must have lived here at some point. There was a lot of details about the city! Made it even more fun to read!
Librariann
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc, science-fiction
Unbelievably exciting and hard to put down, yet with a huge plot hole.

I've never read any of Soule's other titles, but when I read the description of this one I knew it was right up my alley. Loved the back and forth in the timeline and the world building. However, when it came to [HUGE BOOK RUINING SPOILER] (view spoiler)
Kevin
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved THE ORACLE YEAR and was super excited about ANYONE. Unfortunately the ending was super unsatisfying.
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
“Someday, you will change the world. Changing the world was not about you. It was about the world. About everyone else.”

~ANYONE

While Sci-Fi isn't always my immediate go-to genre, whenever I see one with an intriguing concept, I immediately want to learn more. Last year, I picked up THE PUNCH ESCROW by Tal M. Klein because the way the book used fundamental, world-changing tech was comped to Ernest Cline's READY PLAYER ONE and WARCROSS by Marie Lu. The summary for the second novel from best
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
I used to read science fiction books by the bagful from the 1960s through the 1980s, at which point I stopped for reasons not pertinent here. I still will pick up one occasionally --- usually with the name “Blake Crouch” on the spine --- but for the most part, I breeze past the genre except for the annual “Best of” short story collections. Accordingly, I have been wanting something like ANYONE for a while now. This is Charles Soule’s second novel (after THE ORACLE YEAR), and while one never ...more
Peter
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh. This was fine. It felt a lot like the other spate of contemporary sci-fi books like Speed of Sound where a world-changing technology is created and some greedy, powerful men want to steal it for themselves. I can usually get over the flimsy science for these technologies as well, but I really struggled with this one. I think it mostly bothered me because it ended up being used as a deus ex machina to force a specific ending which felt wholly undeserved.

It wasn't all bad though. The
Kacie
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
The sci fi thriller Anyone was getting a bit of early buzz on Instagram, and it sounded interesting, so I was glad to be approved by Harper Perennial for a digital review copy via Netgalley.

The premise of a technology enabling a person to flash their consciousness into another body, a "vessel," was intriguing and frightening for the implications.

Each chapter alternated timelines. We had a present time when the technology was being invented, and a timeline around 25 years in the future where the
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anyone by Charles Soule is a highly recommended, fast-paced, technological/speculative fiction thriller.

In Michigan research scientist Gabrielle (Gabby) White inadvertently discovers a way for people to transfer their consciousness into another person's body. She wants to control how the technology is used, but that very likely will be taken out of her control. Twenty-five-years into the future this technology called "flash" has transformed society. The company advertises the flash as a way to
Hope
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Mark
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Long a fan of his comics, I loved Charles Soule's debut novel The Oracle Year. I like this follow up almost as much. He employs a dual timeline approach: one set in the past, the other in the novel's present. I'm usually leery of this as a storytelling technique. But I quickly came to see why he chose it: it allows him to tell the story of the scientific discovery that drives the story, while also showing the future effects on society.

While attempting to create a cure for Alzheimer's Gabrielle
FanFiAddict
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

Thanks to the publisher and author for an advance reading copy of Anyone in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this ARC did not influence my thoughts or opinions on the novel.

Anyone is a no holds barred, over-the-top riveting roller coaster ride of a novel that had me channeling my inner Jesse Pinkman throughout its entirety.

Having enjoyed Soule’s debut, The Oracle Year, a year ago, I knew that I had to get my hands on Anyone and see what all the hubbub was about. To say that the early
Realms & Robots
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anyone is the kind of book that instantly forces you into its fascinating world, holding on tight until you experience the shock it’s there to present. I went into the book without reading anything about it and that made it exciting, adventurous, and down right enthralling.

We’ve all seen the central concept before: transferring your consciousness into another body so you can experience the world through someone else’s eyes. Anyone takes this oft used story and makes it new by giving us multiple
Kelli Ann
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
If you could be anyone, who would you choose?

In a barn in Michigan, a scientist accidentally switches bodies with her husband during experiments meant to find a cure for Alzheimer's. 20 years later, people are using "flash" technology to transfer to other bodies for whatever they want (legal and illegal). "Be anyone with Anyone" is the slogan for the company offering these insane out of body experiences. Just like everything in the world, there's a dark side to the "flash" technology. People can
« previous 1 3 next »
ANYONE, coming December 3, 2019! What can I tell you? 1 7 Jun 15, 2019 11:08AM

• Saint X
  • Reputation
  • If You Want to Make God Laugh
  • Plastic
  • Long Bright River
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Meg and Jo
  • Bedside Manners
  • Problem Child (Jane Doe, #2)
  • The Grace Year
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Unfollow Me
  • Little Weirds
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Trace of Evil (Natalie Lockhart #1)