Start by marking “Monuments” as Want to Read:
Monuments

Monuments

(Monument #1)

All 16-year-old Connor is trying to do is avoid his ex-best friend when he stumbles upon a trapdoor to a secret chamber under his school. But when Sally Rodgers breaks into the same secret chamber looking for an ancient being, things take an unexpected turn . . . and Connor's life will never be the same again.

Along with the mysterious Sally and, later on, his new friend Lo
Published August 27th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Monuments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monuments

Zitong Ren
I received an early copy(and free at that) from State Library Victoria in preparation for the event What if Teenager’s Ruled the World? with the author of this novel, Will Kostakis. Call me biased since I did receive an early copy of this book but I really enjoyed it and genuinely liked the way that the whole ‘Monuments’ thing was worked out and the whole Gods being statues thing was honestly quite original. Plus the fact that the cast of characters is very diverse with a great representation of ...more
ALPHAreader
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh heeeeey! First review - HUZZAH!

So I have been lucky enough to read this already in order to provide an endorsement quote. I don't *really* know how much I can and can't say about the plot, but I will share the quote I gave in full so you know how much I LOVED this, and can't wait for finished copies;

Will Kostakis has long been one of the most authentic and wickedly smart contemporary young adult authors writing in Australia. But with Monuments he switches genres, shows his range, and reasser
K.
Trigger warnings: death, violence, end of a friendship.

I've thoroughly enjoyed all of Will Kostakis' other books so I was really curious to see what he could do with a new genre. I was a little hesitant when I first started because it basically hurls you straight into the action and I felt like I didn't quite know the characters yet.

But it proved to be pretty stinking delightful. It's fast paced and full of action and it reminded me a lot of a Rick Riordan book, but set in Sydney and with a non
Bexnbookx
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Want to see me talk about books? Check out my Youtube Channel: Bexnbookx

Monuments is a quirky urban fantasy filled with diversity and representation, and an adventure that is really unique.

I received a free copy of this book from Hachette Australia in exchange for an honest review. All my thoughts and comments are entirely my own.

Monuments follows 16-year-old Connor, who after a friend-breakup, is attempting to stop following the rules when he stumbles upon a trapdoor to a secret chamber under
Bubbles
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Thanks to the State Library of Victoria for sending me a copy of this book for the event I moderated a couple of days ago with Will Kostakis!! (also it was so much fun!! I loved meeting him and yes!! 'twas brilliant :D )

Go and read this book if you like fast-paced light-hearted fantasy novels featuring diverse, three-dimensional characters and a very well-built fantasy world! The premise will hook you from the start, I promise!
Megan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always knew that I was the kind of reader who would forgive a lot of flaws in exchange for a charming protagonist, but I guess I never realised just HOW many flaws.

Like, this book. This book. Set it Sydney, which was cool. An aboriginal character, which I love to see. And the plot, on paper, is interesting and full of neat reveals. But.

Ok, so, say you're walking down to the shops. And you turn the corner, and there's a parade just parading down the street. Floats and people on stilts and the
rachel ☾
too plot-driven for my personal taste
Jess Best
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was so good to finally get a ya fantasy set in Australia and be able to picture the places in the book because I’ve been there.
Also I was super keen to read this because I love Will Kostakis, who (unsurprisingly) remains an icon
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to Hachette Children’s Books for providing me with a copy of Monuments, in exchange for an honest review.

Connor is going through a friend-divorce, when he tries to prove to his ex-best friend he is not the boring teenager he has accused him of being. A simple ‘skip class and hide out with some snacks’ becomes something much more when it backfires and his friend doesn’t turn up. Because then there’s time for Connor to stumble upon a trapdoor. And a girl. A girl who just wants h
Blue
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I love me an original idea.
Monuments was 100% one of the most unique ideas and stories that I have ever read. I mean statue gods? Brilliant!!
Besides the overall story of the book the characters where really amazing, they were bright, funny and an edge to them.
The pace of the book was incredible fast, with one twist following another and different elements making the plot highly enjoyable.
I wasn’t a big fan of the character’s reactions though. I mean can you really be that cool calm and collecte
lauren ♡ (wonderless reviews)
thank you hachette for providing me with an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review

i loved this so so so much!! it was the first book i'd been able to read in MONTHS and i didn't want to put it down. i can't believe i have to wait an entire year for the next book.

will have more of a 'review' up soon, but if you like urban-ish fantasies with queer rep that give off percy jackson vibes then be sure to pick this up when it comes out!!
Trisha
Oh so snarky and clever.
Annie
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Crafting something, seeing that creation flourish, that is what satiates us, not the size of our followings.”

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Having read all of Will’s work to date, I can see how much he has grown as a writer and he’s done so well with this book. From setting the scene and developing the story that started in a school and embarked into a whole new world. Will did really well in bringing out important teen issues that include friendships and fall outs, change, sexuality and comi
Emma
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fabulous light, fun and action packed fantasy with wonderful depiction of family relationships and cuuuute boy/boy flirtation, Sydney setting and brain twisting time travel (disclaimer:not a regular fantasy reader!😜)
Cal McKinley
This book was a wild, action packed, over the top adventure and I loved every page of it. Having a YA fantasy set in Sydney was great, at one point I was reading a scene where I was making the exact same train journey that the characters were making, right down to the model of train. The romance was nice, and gay, which always makes romance in a book more enjoyable for me. The story was compelling and engaging and overall a fun ride.
Jade
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Will Kostakis has earned his spotlight in the Australian YA scene. Well known for his ability to deliver witty, heart-warming and hard-hitting contemporary fiction with characters realistic enough to jump off the pages, Monuments is Kostakis’s first foray into fantasy.

The story follows 16-year-old Connor who is dealing with the fallout of his first friend divorce and stumbles upon a Monument hidden in his school. These Monuments, he learns, are the gods that created the world, but must remain hi
Fotini
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Actual rating: 4.5/5

Monuments by Will Kostakis is an incredible fantasy book set in Sydney, Australia. I am so glad that Kostakis based his story in Australia as fantasy books set here are quite rare. I also appreciated the main character, Connor, being Greek Australian. I was so glad to finally relate culturally to a character in a book and some parts of the story surrounding his family were very touching and made me quite emotional.

Another one of the main characters, Locky, is an Indigenous A
Lainy122
A fun, romping adventure book! This felt more like a middle grade book than a YA to me, and would be perfectly fine for 8-12 rather than the 12+ age bracket. The main reason I say this is because there were a few things that were simplified and skimmed over that I felt would have been delved into a bit more, if this was aimed at a slightly older audience.
I liked the casual queerness of the main character and how his sexuality wasn't a Big Deal, and the love interest was adorably sweet and the re
Emily
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel that I should have reviewed this before going to the book launch tonight as now I feel my opinion has been swayed after meeting Will Kostakis. If you ever get a chance to meet Will you should take it up as he is an amazing and funny human being. 'Monuments' was the first of Will's books that I've ever read and although I did enjoy it, I felt that parts of it could have been improved. 'Monuments' is his first fantasy novel so his writing lacks descriptions and world building, especially in ...more
Louise
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-books
A truly unique and intriquing story, set in Sydney, Australia!

The statue gods idea? Amazing.

I also thought that the characters were vibrant and well-rounded, as well as being diverse with both indigenous and queer+ rep, which is a huge plus!

The book was fast-paced, and the twists kept on coming. I couldn't put this one down for even a second!

Rating: 4.5/5

This review also features on my blog

Thanks to Hachette Children's Australia via NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange of review!
Julie Garner
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, young-adult
Good fun story with plenty of action, humour and a little love.
This is a modern day tale with diverse characters who take on strong roles to protect the world. The Monuments are creators of our world and they need to be protected at all costs. Due to some very interesting storylines that you need to see how they play out, the Monuments have been woken. Their Guardians aren't doing a great job looking after them with 3 teenagers finding and releasing Monuments. This sets the Hounds in to play as
Angie
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-tbr
The publisher sent me a review copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.

I can't remember the last time I flew through a book so quickly. Monuments is full of Kostakis' signature wit and snark - almost every line is quotable. The characters are both realistic and hilarious, the concept is interesting and the plot is engaging. Kostakis also manages to deal deftly with some pretty serious topics and to weave in complex familial relationships and friendships. All in all, highly recommended!
Darren Grainger
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the book. It was fun, had lots of action, some really beautiful moments especially with Connor's grandfather. It was nice a change to join Connor's story after he came out. He was getting on with his life and busy falling for a boy. I think coming out stories are important but so is what happens next. Interested in seeing where this story goes.
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
really good book!!! the time travel thing is still doing my head in (what do you mean there's two conners???? what if they run into each other THEY LIVE AT THE SAME HOUSE)
but yeah, as with any will kostakis book, it's very well-written and very enjoyable.
Joel
Sep 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I feel a little bad about my one star rating, as Will’s early book The First Third, is one of my all time favourite YA reads. I had high hopes for Monuments, but it’s ultimately a major disappointment. Much younger audiences may well disagree.
Kareem Miller
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! Left me so shook! Definitely would recommend for anyone looking for a good read.
Madeleine Harris
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, queer fantasy story that was light but still a good and sometimes serious read
Bec
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, it was fun. 👍🏻
KRidwyn
Sep 14, 2019
Mischa
Apr 09, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Will Kostakis writes books for young adults, and the other adults who like to read about them. He is currently putting the finishing touches on The Sidekicks, a novel about finding yourself, and the problems you find yourself in, out in early 2016.

He was a teenager when his first novel, Loathing Lola was published. His sophomore, The First Third is an intimate portrait of a broken Greek-Australian