Start by marking “30-Second Quantum Theory: The 50 most important thought-provoking quantum concepts, each explained in half a minute” as Want to Read:

(30-Second)

The bestselling 30-Second… series takes a revolutionary approach to learning about those subjects you feel you should really understand.

Each title selects a popular topic and dissects it into the 50 most significant ideas at its heart. Each idea, no matter how complex, is explained in 300 words and one picture, all digestible in 30 seconds.

30-Second Quantum Theory tackles
Published 2017 by Metro Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about 30-Second Quantum Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30-Second Quantum Theory

Molino
Gaaaaaaah, gimme more quantum!
Phillip Johnson
Good introduction to basic ideas. Having studied the fundamentals more in detail, I wonder to what extent these concepts can be engaged with on a non-mathematical basis.
Etienne
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Très bien fait encore une fois comme l'ensemble de cette collection. Certaines théorie sont peut-être trop souvent ramenées, sous différent angle, mais tout de même. Malgré l'effort de vlgarisation des auteurs, ce livre demeure assez compelxe pour les néophytes. J'avais trouvé celui sur la physique classique assez simple à suivre, mais la physique quantique est autrement plus complexe. Très intéressant, mais demande un effort cognitif important
Avi
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall, the book disappointed me. I knew some stuff about quantum theory already, but it seemed like this book made it more confusing to understand. I basically just ended up looking up on the internet most of the ideas and concepts in the book. However, some full explainations are still decent, the quick explanations are OK, and the book overall looked great. If you are a newcomer to quantum theory, I would recommend not to read this, but if you already know some stuff, then it might help, but ...more
Jim
Sep 20, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksiown
Just bought this so I can understand other qp books I am reading
Brian
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
A birthday present book that I really enjoyed. I caught a glimpse into a weird world with this book, but feel smarter. Although I doubt I really understood much or could explain much of anything to another person. The book is hardback, and takes one concept and fits it onto one page you could read in 30 seconds. In reality, I had to re-read three times about every other sentence because I didn't get it, so it's more like 90 seconds. But, still a good concept.

Some of the more fascinating things t
Jim
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Early ideas in the book touch on the bizarre, almost mystical nature of the basic building blocks of all that we know. Multiple universes, being in two places at once, being intimately tied to particles far, far away, how all of this raises questions about free will. Then we find these aren't wild, magical, unproven speculations, but key aspects of how our DVD players and MRI machines work.

I found this book thoroughly engaging and mind-blowing. It made sense (as much as any of quantum theory can
Chris Majoor
Leuk overzichtje van de gangbare concepten in de kwantummechanica. Enige voorkennis is wel aangewezen om deze wondere wereld te begrijpen. De uiteenzetting over sommige onderwerpen had voor mij wel wat uitgebreider mogen zijn, maar dat was niet echt de bedoeling van dit boek. Mooie illustraties en intermezzo's over een aantal wetenschappers.
Lily
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very fascinating however it was more of a learning book rather than an actual fun story book. Also, it explained each topic very well but if you don't have some back round knowlage it can be very difficult to understand.
Ray A.
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Good introduction for those who, like me, don't have a background in physics. I read it mostly to get some understanding of the basics of quantum physics and its philosophical implications. Reading books about the latter (as I have) without some grounding in the former can be misleading.
Skord
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The entries are good pointers to looking up further information but no more. The chapters are way too short to tell you anything about the subject in themselves.
Gerrit Himschoot
Witten in very clear paragraphs and chapters. Do not expect any mathematical quotations however.
Hassan Ahmed  Al Lawati
Nice for quick reading if you are not into details of quantum physics.
Am Y
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well-organised book that tries to simplify many of the very abstract and/or conceptual quantum theories out there.

The book is divided into sections, starting from the more basic concepts, gradually building up to the more advanced ones. Specific terms that are used in each section are explained before it, so you do not end up confused when you encounter them, and can refer back to the start of the section for their definition. Near the end of the book, practical applications of quantum t
Reed
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid introduction to a fascinating topic. As expected, it's really a starter kit of concepts that will send most curious readers to the internet or other books to learn more.

Who wouldn't want to learn about Schrodinger's cat, the Copenhagen interpretation, Zeno's paradox, and the long-standing intellectual feud between Einstein and Bohr? Presenting these concepts might be a good job interview technique to separate out applicants into those with curiosity (let's hire them) and those without (
Brandon
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nicely laid out introduction into many of the basic theories and principals of quantum physics. It would be great for anyone is just getting into the topic or is simply curious about what it is even all about. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a little more information on each of the topics; but, I understand that the premise of the book was to keep each one short and as concise as possible on one page. Regardless, I think the author did do an excellent job of picking some o ...more
Chris Kemp
Modern theories of physics seem ridiculous, comical, ludicrous, asinine, preposterous, etc. etc.
And yet scientists are receiving Nobel Prizes for this stuff. And experiments seem to be confirming the theories!
Could it be that the universe is far more incredible than we could have possibly imagined ... ???
James Leigh
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It gave short descriptions for interesting ideas and for the theories of quantum physics. For the layperson it's likely to be difficult to understand even in this form however it is very entertaining and certainly an easy read
Hugo
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Introduction très simpliste à plusieurs concepts de la physique quantique. Facile a comprendre et ne demande aucune notion de physique.
Will Siskey

• Superconductivity: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Big Questions: Physics
  • Galileo: A Very Short Introduction
  • The History of Astronomy: A Very Short Introduction
  • 30-Second Brain: The 50 Most Mind-blowing Ideas in Neuroscience, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • Training and Racing with a Power Meter
  • 50 Big Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach
  • Galaxies: A Very Short Introduction
  • American Dreams: The United States Since 1945
Brian's latest books, Ten Billion Tomorrows and How Many Moons does the Earth Have are now available to pre-order. He has written a range of other science titles, including the bestselling Inflight Science, The God Effect, Before the Big Bang, A Brief History of Infinity, Build Your Own Time Machine and Dice World.

Along with appearances at the Royal Institution in London he has spoken at venues fr

30-Second (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • 30-Second Anatomy
  • 30-Second Ancient Egypt: The 50 Most Important Achievements of a Timeless Civilization, each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Architecture: The 50 Most Signicant Principles and Styles in Architecture, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Astronomy: The 50 most mindblowing discoveries in astronomy, each explained in half a minute
  • 30-Second Economics
  • 30-Second Elements: The 50 Most Significant Elements, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • 30-Second Evolution
  • 30-Second Jazz: The 50 crucial concepts, styles and performers, each explained in half a minute (30 Second)
  • 30 Second Leonardo da Vinci: His 50 Greatest Ideas and Inventions, Each Explained in Half a Minute