Start by marking “Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, 1653” as Want to Read:
Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, 1653

Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, 1653

(The Royal Diaries)

It is 1654 in New England, native land of Algonquin tribes, among them the Pocasset, Wampanoag, and Narrangansett people. The pilgrims -- called Coat-men by the Wampanoag -- have settled here in the natives' territory at Patuxit, a place that the Pilgrims have renamed Plymouth. Weetamoo's father, Corbitant, is sachem, or chief, of the Pocassets. He is mistrustful of the co ...more
Published August 27th 2001 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Weetamoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weetamoo

Andrea
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Kelsey Hanson
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I have to say I enjoy the non-European Royal Diaries better than their European counterparts just because they were able to do a lot more. This book was especially interesting because the author clearly focused on the Native American art of storytelling and presents the story in a way that would make sense given the cultural appreciation for oral history. Weetamoo's story was very interesting. My one issue was that it seemed to end a bit abruptly and left a few loose ends.
Carrie Slager
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-borrowed
Meh. That’s all I really have to say about Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets. This should have been a really interesting book because so far it’s the only one I’ve read where the narrator in reality would not actually have been able to read or write. Okay, fair enough; Native Americans have a great oral storytelling tradition and I’d never heard of Weetamoo before.

But there wasn’t anything really great about this book. I learned a lot about Native Americans in early-contact days with settlers, es
Rebecca Lien
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a dry read and I found the author could have done so much more with this young woman and her personality. Although it was a good book to find out more about the daily life of the Pocasset people. The Historical accuracy can't be disputed but it could have been more robust for the age group the book was written. I use this series for the Girl Scout JR badge Playing the past but I tell girls this is not a very exciting book and can be a dry read before they choose this novel.

Ace of Penta
Katherine Wren
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I grew up loving the Royal Diaries series, but only had access to books about European rulers. How fascinating it was to find a "diary" about a young Pocasett woman who could neither read nor write. I do like how the author structured this account as a series of thoughts. Weetamo's worry over her future, both immediate with her youngest sister, and far in the present ways heavily throughout this book, as it certainly did in her life. I greatly appreciated this account but I do feel it left off r ...more
Hannah
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like a lot of the later installments of The Royal Diaries, I’m not familiar with the women featured, and this was especially true for Weetamoo. The epilogue and historical note gave me enough information to get me interested in doing my own research, which is always a good thing, but these sections of this series are always interesting and a highlight for me. The fictional diary entries are usually what makes or breaks one of these books for me.

Patricia Clark Smith makes a note that says Weetam
Emily
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book, and Weetamoo, are fascinating. Weetamo was a prominent figure In King Phillips war. We’ve all heard of that right? Who actually knows what it was about? Nearly 50yrs after the pilgrims came to Plymouth, and the peace that’s as kept between them and the natives started dwindling when those original leaders started dying, the next generation couldn’t seem to keep the peace, and was resulted was the bloodiest war, with the most deaths per 100k people in American history, setting the root ...more
Angelica
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I do like how the author started the book by saying that unlike the other girls profiled in the Royal Diaries, Weetamoo never would have written a diary. A lot of it is written in a way that makes it seem that Weetamoo is just thinking, and I wish that the entirety of the novel was written that way.

The story follows Weetamoo, the eldest daughter of the Saschem (leader) of the Poccasats. She has been told that patience is a virtue that she needs to work on and as such she spends a great deal of
Priscilla Herrington
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets is a book in the Young Adult historical fiction series called the Royal Diaries. This book is written by Patricia Clark Smith.

Weetamoo plays a small part in Colonial New England history. She was generally called the Squaw Sachem, although she was not the only Indian Woman to hold this leadership role. Weetamo did not read or write English and so did not leave a diary or letters that might help us understand her. Perhaps the most extensive record we have of her ap
Nicole Gaudier
Even Middle school me knew it was problematic.

It really liked it when I read it but i'm sure if I reread it now it'd have alot of issues with it.
I remember thinking it was cool to see a different princess aka non European one but I didn't know how to express that.

I have to reread this series and give my adult post graduate degree perspective but what I remember liking was:
-the characters in this series were roughly my age when I read the books (YA)
-it gave you an idea of what life may have b
Brooke
Aug 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
While Weetamoo is a great artist, she isn’t my favorite historical princess.
Ad Astra
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By far one of my favorite in this historical series.
Kathryn Marie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought the recognition of the Pocasset oral tradition in this diary was excellent, and this read was pretty quick because this "diary" is fairly short. Nothing especially great about this diary, just mildly interesting (which is perhaps a bit of a let down for such a significant historical figure that doesn't receive hardly any attention). I really liked my introduction to Weetamoo as a young girl, so in that regard, this was an excellent middle-grade read.
Ana Mardoll
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Weetamoo, Heart of the Pocassets / 0-439-12910-9

It's incredibly refreshing, after so many Royal Diaries, to be treated to a view of a culture that sees nothing unusual about a female ruler. It is further refreshing to catch glimpses of a culture that strongly values instilling virtue and wisdom in their young future rulers, as well as a strong respect for the land and animals whose survival they depend upon.

Although Weetamoo is caught between a world of change as the European immigrants continue
Amanda
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Sadly, the draft for this review had been sitting in my system for awhile, and, when I opened it, there was nothing in it I also had not taken very many notes for this read, which is sad because I remember enjoying it.
Weetamoo, like several other princesses in this series, comes from a non-literate society, so what we know about her has been passed down orally through the Pocasset people, or has come from elsewhere. In an interview Clark Smith admits this was both a challenge and freedom as “alm
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book is one of the diary series, this one about a young Native American girl named Wetamoo. Since she could not read or write English, the entire diary is based on what the author believes the girl would have written about if she could actually write. The girl is factual, the diary, of course, fictional.

The diary part itself concerns the growing up of Weetamoo, who knew that one day she would become leader of her own small tribe. She doesn't behave very well, at least at first, but gradually
Devon
Didn't know Smith's mother was part Algonquin! She also nods to Joe Bruchac-- I have a volume of his poetry sitting nearby. It's clear from the Dedication that she really took the time to research all this before publishing. I do like the way she handled Weetamoo's story, recognizing the different record-keeping she would have engaged in, and focusing on thoughts rather than a journal format.

Well written and engaging enough, but that Epilogue and historical note! Younger readers will know all t
Liv
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm impressed.

The Royal Diaries series captures the human emotion and struggle in compelling stories about young women that are strongwilled, brave, and with large responsibilities and duties.

Before starting this book I honestly had the expectation of being bored and not being able to finish it, despite my personal affection to anything native american.

Previously the only books by the Royal Diaries series I had read (Eleanor, Elisabeth, Kristina, Marie Antoinette) were based in Europe, whose hi
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fourteen-year-old Weetamoo is the oldest daughter of Corbitant, sachem to the Pocasset band of the Wampanoag Nation. Even though she is a girl, Weetamoo is the one who will inherit her father's position someday. But it's 1653, and her tribe's home in what is now Massachusetts and Rhode Island is changing forever. The settlements of the English "Coat-men" are expanding onto the Pocassets' territory, and Weetamoo wonders what will be left once she becomes her people's leader. Over nearly a year, W ...more
Emily
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
First off, the little illustrations in this book are adorable and I really enjoyed them (probably because they were about as good as I could do if I was really going to be honest about it.) For me, they really added to the story since they mentioned that the Native Americans used pictures and the oral tradition to record their days and remember things. All that said, I feel a bit let down. I think I expected more? I don't know. I did connect with Weetamoo, so that's saving this from getting a lo ...more
Kelly
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: written-by-women
3.5 stars. While this does kind of suffer from a reoccurring problem in the series (not much besides traveling seems to happen), Weetamoo was such a relatable and engaging character I found it easy to get through the book. Smith does a good job at illustrating the Native-European tension as seen through the mostly-unaware eyes of a teenager, and every character seems real and similar to someone you know. The visions sequence was a highlight.

Last line:

(view spoiler)
Sarah Greene
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am never dissatisfied with the Royal Diaries series. While my favorites are Elizabeth I, Marie Antoinette, and Isabel of Castilla, Weetamoo gave me a glimpse into the lives of a Native American tribe. I loved this book; read it in one day, in fact. As I read, I thought back to my readings in Sherman Alexie's work. He has a serious problem with whites thinking they know everything about Indians, with white authors writing books about Indian life and culture. It made me think what he'd say about ...more
Kathy
Jul 22, 2009 added it
Shelves: summer-ir-09
this book is really nice... this book is a bout a girl named weetamoo that lives in Massachusetts in the year 1653/

she is a young 14 year old inidian girl who loves to have fun. though when the pilgrims come to steal her father's territory she finds a way to be a true leader like her dad was once.

weetamoo figures out to be a leader you need honesty to be wise dont panic at all. on a long journey weetamoo learns how to be a true leader.
greenplanet
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it
great book and i loved Weetamoo. the story was awesome, but in the end, the author just HAS to tell you that a few years after the story took place, Weetamoo's tribe in real life was attacked and they tried to escape using the river, but she fell off or something and the soldiers found her, cut off her head, and placed it on a pole for show. yeah, i didn't read another one of these books after that.
Carly
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Nicely done imagining of a period of North American history that just doesn't make it into school textbooks. The glossary of terms/names/characters and the epilogue all did a great job of emphasizing oral culture, Algonquin language families, male, Euro-centric accounts of history, and the author's personal tie to the story.
Meadow Frisbie
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diary
A young Indian princess strives to be the princess her father wants her to be. When they find a village of white men come to their land. Weetamoo starts having dreams of the white men driving them off there land.

These books are all so amazing. Weetamoo is about an Indian living in Massachusetts in 1653.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Maria
Cover Story: Fanta-stick
BFF Charm: Yay
Swoonworthy Scale: 4
Talky Talk: Picture Book
Bonus Factor: Visions and Dreams
Relationship Status: Childhood Friends

Read the full book report here.
Drucilla
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: royal-diaries
It's always interesting to hear about a different culture. This part in history tends to be passed over very quickly. I guess because there is a limited amount of time in school and other things are seen as more important.
Patrice
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
History in this time period fixates on Pocahontas, but Weetamoo is much more extraordinary historical figure. Examining what her youth may have been like before she became one of the important eastern coast tribal chiefs was amazing.
Shannon Renee
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
I hate to say it, but this book bored me quite a bit. While I loved that they used an American Indian in this series, I think they picked the one with the least information on. I didn't fell all of the book was genuine, and it was a bit of a disappointment for me.
Weetamoo in the story 3 14 Sep 28, 2013 09:15PM

• Sondok: Princess of the Moon and Stars, Korea, A.D. 595
  • Elisabeth: The Princess Bride, Austria - Hungary, 1853
  • Catherine: The Great Journey, Russia, 1743
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalía de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America)

The Royal Diaries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England, 1544
  • Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile - 57 B.C.
  • Isabel: Jewel of Castilla, Spain, 1466
  • Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Austria - France, 1769
  • Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, Russia, 1914
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889
  • Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Red Bird of the South, Southern China, A.D. 531
  • Victoria: May Blossom of Britannia, England, 1829
  • Mary, Queen of Scots: Queen Without a Country
“Metacom is a thoughtful, brave person. But somehow he does not cause me to feel both shy and alive the way Wamsutta does. I can see the way Wootonekanuske looks at Metacom with such admiration, and I think it is no accident that he always wears the woven belt she gave him. Metacom could never be my husband. But maybe he will indeed be my brother-in-law someday. I would be very glad of that. Wootonekanuske and Metacom are very young, but I think they already know each other's hearts. And I think I know mine.” 0 likes
“I met Wamsutta downstream from Peskeompskut. Well, to tell the truth, I did not exactly meet him. I more or less followed him.
"What are you looking for, little Pocasset girl?" he said, turning around to meet me.
I said that I was certainly not looking for anything he could give me, but I think he knew right away that I did not mean that. He reached out and touched my cheek very gently.
"Nothing? Are you sure of that?" he asked. I scarcely know how it happened, but suddenly we were in each other's arms.
Once he was holding me close, it seemed as if my tongue would not stop talking. When I told him about my baby sister's death, he wiped my tears away. I spoke about the Forming Child we expect in the Harvest Moon. He said he was very happy for our family. Somehow, I went on to tell him that I thought he was a very careless and boastful person. By then I was laughing and crying at the same time. He just kept looking down and grinning at me, finally I said that supposed I loved him.”
0 likes