Start by marking “The Places I've Cried in Public” as Want to Read:
The Places I've Cried in Public

The Places I've Cried in Public

Amelie loved Reese. And she thought he loved her. But she’s starting to realise love isn’t supposed to hurt like this. So now she’s retracing their story and untangling what happened by revisiting all the places he made her cry.

Because if she works out what went wrong, perhaps she can finally learn to get over him.
Published October 3rd 2019 by Usborne Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Places I've Cried in Public, please sign up.
Kara Babcock Short answer: probably 15+. The main character is 16 or 17 years old (just starting her A Levels).

I think "age ratings" in YA are difficult asks becau…more

I think "age ratings" in YA are difficult asks because tweens and teens develop at such radically different rates sometimes. My question is always just, "are these issues they'll see as relevant to themselves"? Some 14-year-olds are mature enough to handle books like this, and indeed, I'm sure some 14-year-olds might *need* a book like this if they've started dating.

This book has depictions of controlling behaviour and sexual assault, as well as consensual sex—nothing super graphic, but potentially triggering depending on what the reader has experienced so far in life.(less)

Start your review of The Places I've Cried in Public
jessica
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
wow. i am really quite taken aback by this novel. the synopsis gave me ‘500 days of summer’ vibes, but what is actually present is a detailed reflection on what it means to be in a healthy relationship.

this is extremely deep for a YA novel, but i can only commend HB for writing something so powerful as this. its not fluffy, its not adorable, it didnt make my cheeks hurt from smiling so much, but it is real. and its so important that those in the YA age range are getting exposure to this kind of
Warda
Apr 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mental-health
[3.5 stars]

Trigger warnings for narcissistic emotional abuse and rape.

This story was a lot. A lot to handle, a lot to process and a lot to take in. It's about our main character who is reliving a relationship she initially believed to be amazing. She was convinced that the guy she met was it for her, based on the emotions she would experience when she was around him.
This spark and connection they immediately formed didn't allow her to have a birds-eye view of the relationship. She was in it too
jaime ⭐️
book 5 out of 100

“You never know if happy memories are going to become sad ones. They glow and shine in the vast realms of our subconscious, making that part of our brain feel like it’s filled with glitter. We pick them up and cradle them like expensive cats, or wriggle into them like they are jumpers we’ve left to warm on a radiator. Until the day when, for one reason or another, life can suddenly make this happy memory into a sad memory instead. Good memories exist in the naivety of not kn
Joanne Harris
A really good and insightful glimpse into the psychology of grief, via sexual awakening, abuse, trauma, forgiveness and therapy. The voices are authentic; the protagonist both endearing, funny, naive, ultimately wise, and always wholly believable. The turbulence of first love, with all its dizzying highs and lows, is beautifully represented. I wish it had been around at the time, to give it to my teenage self. It might have saved a lot of tears.
MariaWitBook
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“One of the things the brain does to feel safe, is it creates an intense bond with the person who hurts us. It’s the egos way of protecting itself.” .... if only for this three lines ... you have to read this book. Thank you Holly Bourne.
✨ A ✨
I need to gather my thoughts on this one. Review to come
• 3.5 stars •

___
Why cry alone, when you can cry with your friends? Buddy reading with May, Ameerah and Warda
Emer (A Little Haze)
Without a doubt this book is important. I want to thrust it into the hands of every teenage girl ever and into the hands of many adult women too.

The Places I’ve Cried in Public chronicles the relationship between Amelie and Reese. Amelie is new in town and falls hard for dazzling Reese... but there is a darker side to Reese, an abusive side.

And so the book opens with Amelie in the present crying on a bench trying to figure out how she got to this place. How she has become the girl who cries all
~Annabelle~ ♥♠
Mmmmmhmmm, Only heartbroken people should read this, i think they'll be able to relate. To the unbroken hearts like mine, i think you'll find this depressing and uncomfortable. I had to push myself to read until the end.
Clem (the villain's quest)
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Wow

This book is so important

Review to come
↠Ameerah↞
Book #8 for O.W.L.s readathon. ✔

Actual rating: 3.5 ⭐

Decided on a rating but don't know if and when I will review it. Too many feelings that haven't quite settled yet.

-------------------------------
Review and rating to come when I can put my feelings into words that make sense

TW: Narc/emotional abuse and rape.
Abigail
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This book follows Amelie, a sixteen year old who moves Down South from Sheffield, leaving behind friends, a boyfriend, and sixth form for an unknown town somewhere insignificantly near London. She's musical. She's self-deprecating. She wears granny cardigans and vintage dresses. She likes her parents. What happens (or more specifically who happens) after she joins a new college makes up the rest of the book.

Amelie's first person narrative has a very strong voice, and as frustrating as it is to
Beth
4 Stars!

Firstly I just want to applaud Holly Bourne for putting trigger warnings at the front and back of this book with places people can contact if they need help and support.

I can honestly say going into this I didn't necessarily know what happened in this, I've only read one other book from Holly Bourne and I really enjoyed that, and I was then like I kind of want to read more, bought two of her books and then picked this.

It was a rollercoaster of emotions and it was extremely difficult in
Sasha
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Does every copy have a signature of Holly on the first page? OR DID I RECEIVE A SIGNED FIRST EDITION.
Ellie Beadle
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i'm not gonna review this cause i work for the publisher and i am the most ethical bitch u ever did meet however i would recommend this book and thats all i'm gonna say hashtag coy
Stacey (prettybooks)
Note: I read this for the YA Book Prize 2020 (I'm one of the judges, hooray!). ...more
Bookphenomena (Micky)
This was my first Holly Bourne read but I have come away a little unsure if her writing style is for me. I am a stalwart fan of British contemporary YA, some of my favourite YA is UK written and based, because of course I want that real connection with my culture.

It took me a good third of the book to really get settled into the story and the characters. Overall, I didn’t really connect with any character in the book and I feel that I should have connected with Amelie. She irritated me on and of
maya
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
*2.5 stars
ma'am....the writing really wasn't it. i went 🤢🤢🤢 every time the author expressed their character's emotions THROUGH ALL CAPITAL LETTERS or just does this "!!!". like GIRL are we a wattpad novel in 2013? i don't think so. another thing that made the writing really cringy in my opinion was the fact that sometimes it felt like something was meant to be funny when it was actually just really... not.
but this was a book about sexual abuse and toxic/abusive relationships, which is a really s
Jooke
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020, ebook
OMG what a gripping story on a difficult topic.

It can be so easy to raise red flags when you look from the outside. My alarm bells were triggered quiet early in the story, but I didn't anticipate how much further the abuse would escalate. How much courage it would take Amelie to get her life back in her own hands.
Addiction wasn't what I expected it to be compared with, but made me understand more why it's so difficult to recognize and acknowledge abuse in a relationship AND to act on putting an
shopping for a moon
Actual rating 4.5 ⭐️.

This book has such an honest and important story. Even though it broke my heart multiple times, I‘d highly recommend reading it!

Content warning for emotional abuse, sexual assault & toxic relationships (and probably more)
Giulia
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You don’t need dramatic settings to experience dramatic emotions."

TW: emotional abuse, anxiety, PTSD, rape

Ouch, my heart is heavy and broken.
I honestly do not understand how a book with a message such as this one is so underrated.

This book was so freaking intense – I was completely taken aback by how raw and powerful this story was.
I was expecting an insightful read about abuse and toxic relationships, but I was not expecting The Places I’ve Cried in Public to be such an impactful, outstandi
Helena
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book touched so many chords... I can't even. The issue is so delicate, and I really hope you have never experienced such an emotional or physical abuse. But if you have, I pray you recognize it sooner rather than later and that you are strong enough to ask for help. Please, read this amazing piece of literature.
may ❀
this book is something

books that tackle difficult topics like abusive relationships (especially when the people concerned are teenagers) always takes a really fine, delicate hand and i feel like holly bourne really gave it justice.

she details the relationship in such a personal, raw way that you feel an instant understanding for the main character's pain. we start the story off knowing the end outcome of the relationship and through a series of flashbacks and explanation, the reader gets to foll
Gabby
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was super-lucky and managed to win this in a raffle at YALC!

I honestly do not know how to express what I'm feeling without spoiling the book. But alas, I'll try. I've seen so many other reviews of this label the book as 'important' and I 100% agree. This is a must-read. It wonderfully articulates what a toxic, abusive relationship is like and how easy it is for the abuser to manipulate and control someone and make them think that it's love.

I felt so incredibly frustrated, sad, angry - SO! MAN
Chloe
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
This book was truly incredible. It told a really brave and honest story, that I’m so so glad is being told in YA! If you wanna cry, want a book that will really make your feel something, pick this book up.
Lucie Jones
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
rating to follow - that was a LOT to digest wow
Karen Barber
Not due out until October, when Holly Bourne tweeted regarding a rather well-known book store selling these beautiful green-edged versions - and sending them immediately...THREE WEEKS BEFORE PUBLICATION - I succumbed and ordered. I’m glad I did, but this was a book that nearly broke my heart.
Our narrator, Amelie, is a shy young lady forced to leave her best friends and boyfriend to move from Sheffield to the South (and I honestly couldn’t tell you where). She is, understandably, anxious about st
Pip
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I'd had this book when I was 18. Brilliant and important and wonderfully written.
Elaine Mullane || At Home in Books
While reading so many books for #YAmonth, I have found a couple I would have benefited from reading when I was a teenager. This is one of them.

Amelie has moved to the outskirts of London from Sheffield with her parents, after her father is made redundant and is struggling to find work. Separated from her friends and her best friend-turned boyfriend, Alfie, Amelie feels lost. Finding solace in her songwriting, she connects with new friends, and the charming and confident frontman Reese. Bonding o
Becky
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
As always Holly Bourne you’ve written an incredible book.

This story follows Amelie, a young & naive girl who only wants to find happiness. She ends up having to move away from her home in Sheffield as her dad loses his job and he gets employed elsewhere. They move down into the South and Amelie doesn’t seem to click with many people right away.
She ends up meeting Reese - he’s the lead singer in the band and he seems cool. However it turns out he’s quite the opposite.

This story is really dark, it

• Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Edes hetken elossa
  • Meat Market
  • Lukitut
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • The Pieces of Ourselves
  • Diary of a Confused Feminist
  • The Unexpected Find
  • Hideous Beauty
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Toffee
  • Outside
  • Sex Power Money
  • Me Mam. Me Dad. Me.
  • The Hormone Diaries: The Bloody Truth About Our Periods
Holly started her writing career as a news journalist, where she was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year. She then spent six years working as an editor, a relationship advisor, and general ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity – helping young people with their relationships and mental health.

Inspired by what she saw, she started writing teen fiction, including the best-selling, award-winni