Start by marking “How to Pray: A Simple Guide for Normal People” as Want to Read:
How to Pray: A Simple Guide for Normal People

How to Pray: A Simple Guide for Normal People

Published April 4th 2019 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about How to Pray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Pray

Start your review of How to Pray: A Simple Guide for Normal People
Scott Burns
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prayer
Wonderful. Just wonderful.

I love the simplicity of this book; the stories; and the resources.

The simplicity:
Pete encourages us to embrace the acronym P.R.A.Y
Pause
Rejoice
Ask
Yield
The book is in one sense, this simple. Its an easy formula to follow.

The book expounds on this concept by walking through the Lords Prayer phrase by phrase, and linking it to nine kinds of prayer:
1. Centering
8. Confession
9. Spiritual Warfare
Mike Nicholls
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pete Greig is one of my favourite authors - his passion for prayer is evident and inspiring, highly recommended 👍
Becca Dobie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really good book on prayer .taking a look through the Lords prayer . In detail with other greqt stories. Well worth reading .
Katie Leversuch
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional

This is a brilliant book on prayer. Easy to read, really helpful advice - clear, practical and biblical principles and tips. So good.
Louise Douglas
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback
I pre-ordered this book when it first came out, but its been languishing in the middle of a rather large stack of books that I want to read so I hadnt got around to it, until my vicar mentioned it as part of a sermon on prayer on Sunday and I decided that Id move it to the top of the list.

Turns out, it was perfect reading for a rainy bank holiday and I found it really hard to put down I ended up staying up til after midnight last night to finish it.

Split into handy sections, the book takes you
Sam
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
One of the best books on prayer that I've read.

Highlights below:
The Holy Spirit filled the place before He filled the disciples. (Acts 2) The Celtic Christians referred to these as thin places. It could be a hallowed half-hour in your commute, your bathroom, a special chair, etc. Find a place of focus.

99% of prayer is just showing up, making a point to become consciously present to the God who is constantly present to us.

Keep it simple. Keep it real. Keep it up.

Like marriage, no ones
David Campton
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Pete Grieg's writing (and speaking) style. It is accessible without being simplistic, and in this book he applies it to his "core business" as founder of 24/7 Prayer, and a core discipline of Christian discipleship and church life ie. Prayer. In it he does what many before him have sought to do and what many have asked for going back to Jesus' first disciples and before, that is provide a "how to" of prayer. In this relatively short book Grieg draws on a range of Christian ...more
J.M. Infusino
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our whole church has gone thru this book as a series of sermons. Now our small group that was started with the Rooted program, which is another powerful group study. I am really looking forward to our group going thru your book because I just know that I will get so much more out of it. If you are wanting a good, actually great, book for a group study this is it. If you want to see some good sermons on this go to "www.vchurch.org" and you can watch the sermons that have been given by our ...more
Liz
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is the book Ive wanted to be written on prayer... I am at a loss for words to express just how amazing and beautiful this book is.. Read it, meditate on his words and just start talking to God.

The heart and soul of prayer is this: The God who made you loves you. He longs to walk and talk with you in ever deepening friendship. He loves that youve taken the time to read this book because you want to know him better. He doesnt expect you to get it right all the time and understands that
Marco
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I personally believe that there are two ways to become better at prayer.
1). Pray. That should be obvious
2.) Read good books on prayer
This book should be one of them! Greig walks his readers through the entirety of the Lord's Prayer, using it as a model prayer. He divides the prayer into 4 major sections known as P.R.A.Y. The acronym stands for Pause, Rejoice, Adore and Yield. This alone is worth the book in my opinion. My personal favorite chapters were those on petition and spiritual warfare.
Lizzie Lowrie
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You have to read this book slowly, which I found hard as I normally rush through the books I love. This book is rich with wisdom and inspiration and yet it's so accessible and to earth. But most importantly it inspires you to pray more. This is a handbook for prayer, a book I will continue to go back to and one I will recommend to both new Christians and those who've been walking with Jesus a long time. I can't wait to do the new updated prayer course that comes with the book with our church and ...more
Allison
A terrific, easy-to-read guide from one of the world's foremost leaders in the 24/7 Prayer Movement. Pete Greig is a fun writer: he has a ton of stories to back up his points, and every point is based on Scripture.

This particular book also comes with several figures from history highlighted throughout, as well as specific "Prayer Tools" tied to each chapter. The reader is encouraged to check Greig's website for information about these tools, or to sign up for the 8-week Online Prayer Course that
Derek Winterburn
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, kindle
This an excellent introduction to Christian prayer. It is not fussy and vague. Rather Greig works through the Lord's Prayer in a methodical and practical way, extending each line into a chapter about an aspect of prayer. Despite, I am sure, having a myriad of personal stories about prayer he is judicious in using his own successes, includes testimony of his wife's illness and supplements each chapter with other famous pray-ers. He includes a wide range of quotations that flesh out his teaching. ...more
Cathy Mowbray
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A well written, easy to read, inspiring book.

I highly recommend to anybody who has prayed or has questions about praying.

I have been a Christian for nearly 15 years and have been blessed by being surrounded by faithful prayers. Yet I have found this book very useful and insightful. I have learnt a lot about my style of prayer and other ways to build my relationship with God.

I can see it will be very useful for a new Christian too.

If you only read one book this year make it this one.
Nick Watson
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent introduction and inspiration to pray, which has just taken over as my main giveaway book on prayer for new Christians.

Structured around the Lord's Prayer, it covers a wide range of aspects of prayer, while keeping sight of the fact that they're all part of one whole. It links to the 24/7 Prayer Course, and to a collection of supplementary guides available to download, but stands alone as a complete book in itself.

Highly recommended.
Noelle
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WELL DONE! The writing, the research, the heart and superb speaking ability (with a smooth British accent). After a while it dawned on me that Pete reminds me of Nicky Gumbel. Sure enough he spent a lot of time at HTB where the Fathers heart is very evident. I was so bummed that I missed Petes talk at my church last month but this audiobook makes up for it in a very special way.

Available in CloudLibrary!
Ms Anita Devi
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Lifestyle Changer

What makes this book amazing isn't the detailed research & thought Pete has put into it. It isn't the amazing anecdotes woven into each chapter. It isn't the practical tools at the end of each chapter. Those all help for sure. But this book is SO much more ... it's an invitation into something quite amazing. If you have even an iota of curiosity ... dive in - it's a lifestyle changer! Let the adventure begin ...
Philip
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read due to it being simple, clear, practical and deep. Drawing from his 20 years of leading a prayer movement, you can tell Pete has listened to and read many who have gone before him to be able to write this book. Much of the truth is not new, in fact most is ancient, but Pete has been able to distill much needed wisdom and guidance for the most difficult but most rewarding part of the spiritual life with Jesus.
Joy Stark
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 26
Prayer is a mystery. Pete Greig anchors the structure around the Lord's Prayer, sharing stories to illustrate the different ways people pray in different times and spaces. Over all of it, though, is the reminder that while prayer is a mystery, it's not difficult. Greig encourages readers to "keep it simple, keep it real, and keep it up." Whether you have been walking with God for a long time or are curious to learn more about what it means to pray, there is something in this book for you.
Anthony Cappoferri
One of the best books on prayer I have ever read. Extraordinarily practical yet not lacking depth and very faith-infusing while being extremely witty and well-written. Really enjoyed reading this one and highly recommend it!
Joanna Emily
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would very much recommend this book to new Christians, those who have been following Jesus and anyone else in between. Pete's writing is, as always, accessible and engaging too:)

I listened to this on Audible and will be listening to it again in the future:)
Benjamin Varner
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simply, THE prayer book of our generation. Im blown away by Petes ability to present prayer as both simple & deep; elementary & profound.

This is now the first book I will recommend to anyone who asks for direction on prayer/ praying.

Beautiful!
Nick Carter
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
An excellent guide to prayer

What a well-written and easy to read book! This is a book that needs to be put into action, and not just read. Thank you, Pete, for helping us all to improve our payer lives.
Chuck Land
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite book prayer

This was sooo good! I loved every word and was sad it was over. Great theology, great help. Thanks Pete for this book. Read this it will bring fire to warm any coolness of heart you have toward the Lord.
Jim
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!
The best introduction to prayer I have ever read. Practical and inspirational.
Thanks Pete!
Catherine
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If this topic is of interest to you, I highly recommend this book. Accessible, engaging and inspiring for most anyone from a skeptic to a mature Christian.
Erinmmcarlson
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very helpful introduction to prayer! The simple language and solid content were both challenging and hopeful. Every chapter has a further reading section at the end with book recommendations 😁.
Alastair
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reading
Inspiring

I approached this book without much expectation. It was a surprising good read. Some elements I found very useful. Worth a look.
Lizzie Morrison
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It gave a lot of practical advice about how to pray and it felt like you were just sitting down to tea with a friend.
Katie
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The chapters were short and easy to read with every day stories to make lighter and more real. Great book on prayer, can recommend

• Dominion: How the Christian Revolution Remade the World
  • God Has a Name
  • Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human.
  • Reappearing Church: The Hope for Renewal in the Rise of Our Post-Christian Culture
  • Spirit and Sacrament: An Invitation to Eucharismatic Worship
  • The Emotionally Healthy Leader: How Transforming Your Inner Life Will Deeply Transform Your Church, Team, and the World
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • To Hell with the Hustle
  • Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry
  • Rees Howells: Intercessor
  • Total Forgiveness: True Inner Peace Awaits You!
  • With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God
  • Loveology: God. Love. Marriage. Sex. And the never-ending story of male and female.
  • Scattered Servants: Unleashing the Church to Bring Life to the City
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Eternity Is Now in Session: A Radical Rediscovery of What Jesus Really Taught about Salvation, Eternity, and Getting to the Good Place
  • Breathing Underwater: Spirituality and the 12 Steps
Pete Greig is the bewildered founder of the 24-7 Prayer movement which has spread into more than half the nations on earth.

He is also the Senior Pastor of Emmaus Rd, Guildford, Ambassador for the NGO Tearfund, and an Associate Tutor at St Mellitus Theological College, London.

His latest book, How to Pray: A Simple Guide for Normal People is a companion volume to The Prayer Course (

News & Interviews

“remember to P.R.A.Y.! More than anything else, this simple acronym is the thing that will help you grow in prayer. ‘Pause’. Remember that crazed greyhound pursued by the bistro chair? Try to ‘be still and know’ God (Ps. 46:10). ‘Rejoice … always’ (Phil. 4:4). Remember my son Daniel’s scribbled prayers? Your Father in heaven loves you, knows you, and interprets your heart perfectly. Give him thanks! ‘Ask and it will be given to you’ (Matt. 7:7). Remember George Müller praying for daily bread? Ask the Father for everything from peace in the Middle East to parking spaces. ‘Yield’. Offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness’ (Rom. 6:13). Remember those Thai boys trapped in the cave? Wait and trust for the light and hope to come.” 0 likes