Start by marking “Světla na obloze” as Want to Read:
Světla na obloze

Světla na obloze

(Untitled #1)

Red, red, the lights glow red
Beware the danger up ahead…

Ósa, sedmnáctiletá dívka, žije se svou rodinou na nehostinném a chladném ostrově a musí si, spolu s ostatními, své živobytí tvrdě zasloužit. Život na ostrově by ovšem plynul bez větších zvratů, nebýt nepříjemné epidemie, která si jednou za čas vybere na životech ostrovanů krutou daň.

Lisa Lueddecke rozehrála ve svém dí
King Cool, 304 pages
Published February 2019 by Dobrovský s.r.o. (first published October 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Světla na obloze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Světla na obloze

Charlotte May
beware the peaks,
where night time kills,
and mountains speak."

4.5 ⭐

YES! This was so flipping great you guys! Magic, winter, monsters, mythology. A new genre I didn't even know existed until I read some one else's review. Polar Fantasy - now one of my new fave genres :D

Osa lives in a tiny village on the island of Skane
Maddie
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so atmospheric and detailed with the world-building. It felt like an actual quest with stakes and obstacles and general adventure! Although there were some slow moments, the threatening battle and temple scenes made up for it. There was also something interesting going on with narrative, using both first and third person, and including flashbacks and songs. It switched up the pace and always kept me interested. If you like wintery or very legend based fantasy, this is the one for y ...more
Jade Ratley
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s no secret that I am a fan of polar fantasy, and it baffles me, how I had this gorgeous book sat on my shelf for so long, with absolutely no idea that it was a polar fantasy. How did I miss that? Look at the cover! Look at the title! What was I thinking?! Anyway, I’ve made that discovery now, and am so pleased that I got around to reading this. It was beautiful.

This book takes place on a snowy island, where the sky glows with certain colours to demonstrate the Goddesses feelings. Through yea
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Oh my gosh this is so wintery and magical and such a wonderful winter read! The worldbuilding is honestly gorgeous (Scandinavian-inspired fantasy worlds are my favourite) and the quest narrative is so fun and I loved the trials Òsa had to complete to reach the Goddess. Also, Sejer is my fave.

(Full review to come)
Amy
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a while to get into it (about 100 pages) but after that, it gets very action packed and interesting and I really liked the ending :) all I can say, is get past the first 100 pages and you’ll enjoy it then ;)
Dreximgirl
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Osa was an interesting and developed character and I really liked following her and Ivar throughout the book. The setting was amazing and the people both Osa and Ivar meet through their journeys were intriguing and engaging. A very enjoyable read. 4 and a half stars.
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)
2.5 stars.
I got an ARC of this from YALC and I was so excited to pick it up, but it sadly missed the mark for me. I really liked the Nordic inspiration, but there were a lot of contradictions in the world-building and the different languages were elaborated on very little (which made my linguistic heart sad). The inclusion of astronomy was enjoyable, but I found the plot very one dimensional until the final chapter, where it seemed to rush to the conclusion.
Ellie
When the skies above the island of Skane glow red, the Goddess is sending a warning of plague. The plague last ravaged the population seventeen years ago when Ósa was in her mother's womb. Her mother died that year and her father has never forgiven her. Now the island faces the plague as well as another threat and Ósa needs answers to help save her people.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed about the lack of plague. Instead it's more of a quest, as Ósa must survive harsh weather, avoid being eate
Miss Bookiverse
I read about half of the book and then skimmed through the ending. There was nothing utterly horrible about it but I got so bored after the first few chapters. I expected this to be something along the lines of the movie The Village and kept waiting for a shocking twist but that never happened. Instead flat characters followed a linear storyline told in a repetitive writing style. The Nordic inspiration for the world was a breath of fresh air but apart from that everything else was black and whi ...more
Femke (booksfemme)
What a beautiful book. The writing is enchanting, the world-building stunning. A perfect book to read during the colder months!
Hannah (flippingchapters)
Skane was built on superstition. Always enter your home right foot first. When you sneeze, someone who bears you ill will has just spoken your name. Don't whistle while looking towards the sun or you might bring on rain. But mostly, the superstitions were about the lights."

4.25

Rating of various aspects of book (out of 10):
Quality of writing: 9
Pace: 6
Plot Development: 7
Characters: 8
Enjoyability: 8.5

I can't believe that this is Lisa Lueddecke's debut novel because I fell in love with her writing
Erin
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for the Polar-thon and it was my first experience with the sub-genre of “Polar Fantasy.” I really liked it, but it was very...heavy. Even when things were going well in this world, it was still a fight to survive. It doesn’t help that in this story, the figurative walls were closing in - fast. Very atmospheric, with a well developed, and very believable main female protagonist. Would definitely recommend, and I’m very interested in reading the companion novel set in the same world.
⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess)
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It was a journey and that's what's making it kinda hard to review it. There were so many little things happening that I don't even know where to begin.

A Shiver of Snow and Sky mostly follows the girl Ósa as she leaves her village to go on a dangerous journey to the mountains to seek help for the upcoming plague. It took me a while to get into this book. The world was beautiful and so unlike anything I've ever read. The language in this book is be
ash
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gold, gold, the lights glow gold
Reawakens something old.

This book was so beautiful, I never once lost interest. I kept rereading some lines because they were so beautifully written. The world is magical, constellations come to life, the main character is brave, selfless and smart I mean what else do you need.

The part that won my heart was the stars/constellations part in the very beginning. Everything was so described in detailed and it was just so beautiful I'm honestly speechless.

All around
Lauren
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
A Shiver of Snow and Sky was recommended to be by a friend so naturally I was excited to read this and came into the book with somewhat high expectations, which unfortunately were not always met.

The writing was atmospheric, I was rooting for characters and it was a truly unique and different story but...I just didn't feel it all of the time. I was slightly confused at the mythology and sometimes forgot who some of the characters were. Moreover I felt like the ending was rather predictable.
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
4.5 stars I was *consumed* while reading this today, I really fell in love with it
Evie
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, reviews
the first 100 pages were a bit slow and I didn’t love them, but after that, the plot really picked up and was amazing! For a debut, it was brilliant.
UrsulaGraham
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a 3.5! For me, the story was good, just got a bit boring at times, still glad I read it!
Nav 🌝
I came across this book, as always, in the library and after a quick read of the synopsis I decided to check it out. I've been reading a lot of contemporary lately so was looking forward to diving into something completely different.

Plot
A Shiver of Snow and Sky follows our main character Ósa who lives on the island of Skane. Lights appear in the sky on Skane but the appearance of red lights means that danger is on its way. The red lights appeared when Ósa was born and a deadly plague was unleash
Katie Khan
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Red, red, the lights glow red
Beware the danger up ahead…

This is a beautiful book which reads like a classic; you believe it may have even happened one day, long ago, and turned into myth and fable by Lisa Lueddecke.

Set on the island of Skane, the story follows Ósa, a heroine I rooted for throughout. Well-drawn and interesting, Ósa has something to prove as the village essentially believes she is responsible for the death of her mother, during her own birth, when the sky last turned red. When i
Kate Ormand
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ósa knows her village is in danger when the sky over Skane glows red. Last time the lights turned crimson, a plague spread through their village, killing many – including Ósa’s mother. With little love from her father and sister, Ósa spends most of her time with her friend Ivar. Together they try to discover the meaning behind the red lights to prepare for what’s coming, but they find an even greater threat is right on the horizon.

I couldn’t get enough of this gorgeous book. It’s so magical and
naz
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story has been described as "the beautiful writing and world-building of Leigh Bardugo & Laini Taylor meets the icy setting and lurking darkness and danger of The Wall and the Others in Game of Thrones" AND I 100% AGREE.

Lisa's writing had me SHIVERING even when it was reasonably warm. This story is an amazing adventure, and reads like a classic fable but despite the above comparisons, is unlike anything I've read before. The fact that I managed to devour this in about 24hrs (maybe less
Rachel B
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It did take me a little while to get into it, maybe I was going in with too many expectations and it put me off? But when I did get into it I can see why it's such a popular book, some of the descriptions in this book definitely caught my eye throughout - they were so beautiful.

I adored Osa as a character - she was so strong throughout the book despite how she was brought up being blamed for her mothers death. I think her character development was amazing, especially at the end, and I think it w
Emmi Rose  (emmirosereads)
I'm so sad that I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. I was so excited and it had so much potential but I was just struggling to get through it. overall, it just fell flat and was pretty boring. There were a lot of parts that I did enjoy but not enough to give it a higher rating. I did think the writing was gorgeous and I just loved the imagery. I also loved the world building and to me Skane was just as gorgeous. I also really loved the ending and thought the whole thing was rea ...more
Maja Diana
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has:

- Beautiful Lights in the sky
- A chilling journey
- A dragon
- Mysterious folks in the snow
- Very creepyand superstitious townsfolk
- An invasion
- A lot of snow.

This book... I loved it a lot. A lot of the words and descriptions reminded me of Scandinavia, where I live, and it was very intriguing to follow Ösa on her journey to save her town.

Would recommend for people who like eerie descriptions, a bit of a slow start, and an epic journey that seems neverending.
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on:> http://www.laurapatriciarose.co.uk/20...

A Shiver of Snow and Sky has been one of my most highly anticipated books of the year and when I finally cracked open my copy, I was in for more of a treat than I could have realised.

Set on the Island of Skane, it's inhabitants are ruled by the Goddess- the ruler of the skies and the lights within them. When the lights are green, all is fine, when blue, a storm is coming, but when they are red... red is rare, red means danger is c
Zaide
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book surprised me. From a quick glance at the other reviews, I expected this to be a little slow to start – and it was. Until about the 100 page mark it’s a little hard to get into but I was intrigued enough that I kept going. A lot of people said that it picked up after then but for me, I wasn’t feeling completely gripped by the story until around the 200 page mark, but after this I really enjoyed the story.

As far as characters go, I actually really liked Osa and Ivar, they were both so ge
Debbie Tails Prower

I'm quite impressed with this book. A Shiver of Snow and Sky takes place in a very refreshing Nordic setting (I loved it!), in a world that is brutal and harsh, that doesn't live off endless summers and generally doesn't shine of beauty. Yet it is still home to the people living on the island of Skane and they cherish what they have, willing to die for their homes. Just does Ósa, a girl of 17, as she starts a dangerous journey across the island to save her people from a plague as well a
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
What a brilliant debut! Lisa Lueddecke is definitely one to watch. The concept of this novel is amazingly original and unique, and I was hooked from the very first page. The pacing of the story was perfect and it was a struggle to tear my eyes away! Plus the fact that it is a fantasy standalone is really refreshing.

Lueddecke's writing is beautiful and the comparisons to Leigh Bardugo and Laini Taylor do not feel unrealistic. There were some GORGEOUS quotes in this book that really spoke to me.
Kirsti
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different book, and one rich in language and description. You really see the world as Lisa imagines it; to me it felt like a shorter, YA version of the Clan of the Cave Bear book. I'm not really sure why; I think it was the religions and myths of the Goddess, something in me just tapped straight back to that series.

It takes time to get into, but the ending is full of action. I'm not really into action filled books anyway, I start feeling anxious for resolution haha, so I liked the slow start
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Shadows of the Silver Screen (Twelve Minutes To Midnight, #2)
  • Moondust
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • And Then We Ran
  • Spinning Thorns
  • Wiedźma opiekunka, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #3)
  • Hyacinth and the Secrets Beneath
  • Shadow Man
  • The Arthurian Encyclopedia
  • A Book of Book Lists: A Bibliophile's Compendium
  • The Bookshop Girl
  • Chase (Chase #1)
  • Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Seek
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • The Way Past Winter
  • Animosity, Vol. 1: The Wake
  • The Furies
  • The Smoking Hourglass (The Uncommoners #2)

Untitled (2 books)
  • A Storm of Ice and Stars
“Fear is a beast that haunts darkest of nights
And swallows our minds one by one
But hope is a light that takes root in the heart
And can grow to be strong as the sun”
1 likes
“There was a solace in a snow-laden forest wrapped in night found nowhere else, a loneliness that made me better acquainted with myself.” 0 likes