Jump to ratings and reviews

Curse of the Pirate #1

Never trust a pirate.
The plague struck without warning. Now, to save her people, Cali must cross the mysterious, impenetrable boundary to reach a treacherous land of magic and find the cure.
When she arrives, she not only discovers that she looks eerily similar to its princess, but that war is brewing on the horizon. The pirate king has come to call in a debt, and the price he demands is an alliance between his son and the princess Soraya. Soraya refuses to give in to the pirate's whims and demands Cali meet him in her place.
Cali doesn't have time to court anyone, especially not a pirate—no matter how beautiful or brooding he is—but she accepts in order to ensure her stay at the palace long enough to save her dying people. But when she is captured, her only hope to find a cure may rest in the hands of the pirate she scorned.
If only she could trust him.

Prepare to abandon the world you know for one where moonlight uncovers magic and buccaneer greed steals more than just the sea. Scroll up and one-click this enchanting new fantasy from USA Today bestselling author Cortney Pearson today!

260 pages, Paperback

First published December 11, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Cortney Pearson

19 books326 followers
Cortney Pearson is the USA Today bestselling author of The Chosen Series, Curse of the Pirate Series, and The Chuzzlewit Chronicles. She writes fantasy worlds brimming with adventure, loyalty, and romance, from wizards, to steampunk, to pirates. She is the mom of four cuties, loves classical music, chocolate, slow-burn kissing scenes, and sparkles.

Don't miss a thing regarding Cortney's books. Sign up for her newsletter! www.cortneypearson.com

Stay up-to-date in her FB group, Cortney's Secret Keepers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cortn...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
14 (8%)
1 star
6 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 58 reviews
Profile Image for Alexandra Harber.
151 reviews8 followers
July 20, 2021
So, this is a definite 5 star read for me. From the first chapter I was completely hooked!

The synopsis is what first caught my attention. Who can say no to princesses, pirates and magic? Not me, that’s for sure.

The storyline was gripping and so well thought out, the characters were utter *lip smack* perfection and now I’ve come to the conclusion that I need me a pirate 🤤

We start off meeting our MC Caliana, who we soon find out is a strong, firm character and isn’t scared to stand up for what she believes in (can we have a ‘you go girl’ because that’s what I was chanting in my head the entire time!)
Then, we also get our bad*ss lil Soraya who is just such a relatable lil bean.
And we also get BAE! I need more Bae. I cannot even lie to you right now. He is a panty-dropper. I can promise you’ll fall in love with him. And if you don’t, great, more for me 😂

I’m also really excited to read more of this world, the twists in this book have rocked me and I need to know what happens next.

If you don’t see me for a few days, it’s because I was still crying about how much I love this book and my partner has le ded me 😂
Profile Image for Alicia.
98 reviews4 followers
August 11, 2021
Pirates? Check!
Princesses? Bingo!
Magic? In spades!
A crazy-creative storyline that I NEED to know what happens next RIGHT NOW? You got it!
Princess of Death's synopsis was enough to capture my attention and Cali ensnared me from page one. She's a fascinating character, and her choices are surprisingly selfless for a girl who presents as a generally selfish creature. Soraya, with her magical abilities and desperate longing to belong somewhere, was a relatable and lovable character; Bae was a stand up pirate/potential suitor, with many motivations that I can't wait to discover...But the real star or the book for me was Undine Daray. I AM DYING to know more. Sea witch on one side of a magical boundary, goddess on the other and all 'round and enigma wrapped in a mystery- I NEED to know more!! Book two needs to be in my hot little hands yesterday! 😂😍
Profile Image for Kylie.
208 reviews20 followers
May 29, 2020
Princesses, pirates and a mysterious plague had my attention from the moment I read they synopsis. The author does a fantastic job with the world building and setting this story up. I was hooked right away with the strange boundary and the sea witch who controls it. This story had so much potential and yet I felt it fell somewhat flat. Cali the main character was really hard to relate too. We are shown her very on being somewhat demanding and selfish but then four years later she is worried about everyone else and is willing to risk everything for them? I enjoyed Soreya and wish we would have had more interactions with her and learned a bit more about her. Bae the pirate I could take him or leave him. He's made out the be this handsome guy with a charming personality that everyone falls for but I didn't really understand why. It was annoying that Cali fell for him so quickly when what he was doing was supposedly angering her. I never like when characters are attracted to each other just because they are good looking and their actions mean nothing. It was a good start to an interesting series and I look forward to reading the next one.

I received a review copy from Hidden Gems in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Mandie.
660 reviews34 followers
January 9, 2019
This was a great story! Full of mystery and intrigue. I loved it. There was so much excitement through out the book, it was so hard to put down!
March 30, 2019
Spoiler free review!

I really, really enjoyed this book! With a gripping storyline and intriguing characters I couldn’t put it down.
The world building was very well done and has left enough room for the author to expand as the series continues.
5 Stars. Would definitely recommend.
Profile Image for Nadine.
12 reviews4 followers
January 18, 2019
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly this sounded like my perfect book when I heard about it. Pirates, princesses, magic? I’m in.

The story wasn’t totally predictable like many books are, but it followed the standard for similar books, which is in no way a bad thing.

The world building was so well done and, I believe, an incredible metaphor for our world views today. There was so much packed in but so much more that can be created for these new incredible worlds. Deep diving into both in the next chapter of this series would be incredible.

The goddess and everything that we know about her was VERY unique and I cannot say enough how much I adored the difference in how the two worlds viewed her. It brought very real comparisons to mind and it was hard hitting.

However the princess was very unlikeable, she had no depth, you would think she was just there to move the plot along rather than being the main character. She was very much a ‘Mary-Sue’, and it was sad to see. Her love story was obvious from the start, you always have to have conflict with the best friend.

The best friend was definitely just a plot point. The pirate was fun but again fell flat with the rest of the characters.

Honestly these are problems that could be turned around completely in the next book. An in-depth and proper look into the characters (and their motivations and lives and interests and dislikes and their psychological profiles) would change everything for me and for the series. This series has tons of potential for more world building and character building and I look forward to what’s next.
January 17, 2019
Princess of Death

Wow a powerful fantasy that swept me off my feet leaving me guessing at everyone’s intentions! I loved this new beautiful world of magic and pirates. The characters were enjoyable to read. I’ll be rooting for a HEA between a certainly sexy cursed pirate and a wayward princess.
Profile Image for Emmanuelle Ide.
148 reviews4 followers
December 19, 2018
- ARC review -

I was really interested by this story because I hardly ever see a YA novel with pirates. And who doesn't like pirates, right? They are mysterious, dark, brooding, rebels and scoundrels at times. Ok, maybe i'm too much but hey, it changes from vampires and princes, right?

I liked the setting of the story, different worlds, opposite one another, one dark, one light, the allegory behind that.

The way the author writes, she really takes you into a world that I had no problem imagining. I love that. I liked the intrigue, the mythical Undine (is she good or bad)... In other words, I liked many things.

I also liked the fact that the lights does not always shine on the main female character. There is no real mention of how she looks, no duper long descriptions of her body/face features or if she's beautiful or breathtaking and other adjectives I really hate reading about. The author seems to leave it to you and your imagination to create your version of Cali as well as Bae (okay I really have a problem with that name. I keep thinking that it's short for "babe" and I hate that xD okay, I'm out)

But..there's a but... I don't know why, but I thought it went all wayyyyy too fast. I think it's the first time I've ever thought this of a story. I felt like there were no transitions, that it was all jumping from one part to the next. I can't quite put my finger on what was wrong but it felt like there was no clear climax in the story.

I really did not like the main character, though. Her motivation and her behaviour makes her too naive, too perfect...in other words, a Disney princess. I felt that, even when she started revealing a darker side of herself. It's almost as if she's "flat", superficial and transparent, which is weird because she's supposed to be the main character. In fact, when I think of it, you don't really get to know the characters. The author does not seem to explore who they are. We get bits of info but it's all rather superficial. Perhaps it's because it's the first book of thee series and it's kind of the setting of the story? I secretly hope this will change in the sequels.

That being said, I will definitely read the sequel because the ending makes it really interesting and I think it will be better !
279 reviews5 followers
December 27, 2019
Preface: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was genuinely enjoyable, which isn't something I get to say very often. The prose was gorgeous. The characters were fleshed-out and likable. The set-up for the plot is a little hackneyed (and it sounds like the same is true for the sequel), but I didn't mind. The world is unique and interesting, from the divided sea, to the little touches here and there (magic, the rove, finfolk, etc.). There is a hateable villain (who will hopefully get more motivation in later books), but the other characters are understandable, even if they're antagonists. And, best of all, while this is obviously a set-up to a trilogy, it tells a coherent story all on its own. We see Cali take responsibility for her actions and her people, and do her best to fix it - and even if the end result isn't quite what we'd hoped for, it still feels as though the journey we've gone on has been worthwhile, and not just empty lead-up to something more fulfilling.

(Also, I really love the names throughout the whole story. They have a really pleasant blend of that elegant fantasy feel without ever quite being overdone.)

I do have a few quibbles here and there - just little things that don't quite make sense, like the ecology between the two lands being so different even though they're apparently only a few days apart (although the timeline might have gotten fudged because magic). There's a love triangle, which I'm not generally a fan of, but it's passable here because both love interests are genuine and likable people, not just cardboard cut-outs or obviously evil. Again, there are a lot of dangling threads, but I'm curious to see if these actually end up being wound together somehow. I would have liked a little more fleshing-out of some of the background characters - Vera is the biggest example, but also Roland and maybe Ayat - but we might get that in the future. Ultimately, it's a little hard to judge the flaws of this novel without knowing what will come next. But I will definitely read the next book, and (hopefully) the third.
Profile Image for Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}.
511 reviews51 followers
November 4, 2020
What I loved:

Pirates, princesses, and a curse! What wasn’t to love and be drawn in by the premise? I wanted to know what was happening next with the characters and storyline.

Right from the beginning, I was drawn into Cali’s plight to save her kingdom and loved ones. She must travel to a magical land that will cost her greatly, but she doesn’t realize how great. With a time limit of only 5 days, she’s tasked with a mighty job of finding a potion, and answer that will heal and help her kingdom.

We are allowed to experience and see the new kingdom through Cali’s eyes, which is seeing it for the first time, and it allows us to learn things with her at the same time. I thoroughly enjoy Bae as a character, he’s mysterious and interesting with more layers than I think we can see during this first in a series, and he’s by far my favorite character. He is the Prince of Pirates, the son of the Captain, and he has more than just a mysterious air surrounding him, he has secrets too, and those drive his actions and his father’s during the book.

What Left Me Wanting More:
The pacing left me wanting a little more depth between the characters. The entire book happens in a week or so, which leaves Bae and Cali’s interactions limited to 3-4 days. I would have loved to see this built up and drawn out a little more to make sense of their connection.

Outside of Cali, Darren and Bae, I felt as though the other characters needed more depth as well. They felt a little stiff for me, and I couldn’t relate or feel for their plight.

Final Verdict:
Princess of Death has an intriguing plot that anyone who loves pirates and princesses will love. With the promise of an action-packed sequel, this novel will surely hook fans of Pearson’s work! A fast-paced page-turner, that will have readers diving for it !

Good Points:

Epic world-building!
A promising series.

Originally posted on YABC: YABC INDIE STAFF REVIEWER | My Website
478 reviews3 followers
January 10, 2019
I have been a fan of Cortney Pearson since I read her amazing “Stolen Tears Series”. Once again it looks like she has another hit series in “Curse of The Pirate Book” Series. I try not to leave spoilers because you should enjoy this book for yourself. This story captured my heart from the beginning. This author has taken a spoilt princess and ripped her world apart, and has left her people dying. This storyline is about how far will princess Cali go to save her kingdom. She will face danger, deception, mystery and betrayal to get what she needs. She will be astounded by a world that has been kept hidden from her, enticing her into a dream world, with new and exciting things. A web of lies surrounds her by people she trusted, but will these entangle her or set her free. One thing is certain she will regret some of her decisions, these will hurt her and the people she loves, changing her life forever. She is faced with needing to make a deal with a legend of two faces, can she endure loosing anymore, by the sacrifices needed to seal the deal. Duty or love? Which one will she pick? read and find out. Courtney Pearson makes her stories work by being able to Inject realism into her worlds and characters. You will feel like you are walking beside these people, you will feel the flutter of a heartbeat, butterflies in a stomach and each tear that falls down a cheek. That’s what will make you empathize with her characters, will make you tense, when she takes two different strands, weaving them together, then turning them on there axle. Just before you believe they are secure, she will cut them and completely unravel the direction of the story, including your thoughts. I wholeheartedly would recommend this book and look forward with anticipation and a tightness in my chest, Waiting to see what happens next.
Profile Image for Michelle.
213 reviews42 followers
January 27, 2021
Review also on my bookstagram: emm_enchanted

A dashing pirate, strong-willed princesses and an interesting plot, makes one hell of a book that you just can't put down.

Princess of death begins in the fictional land of Zara, plagued by necrosis. Cali, the would be crown princess is desperate for a cure when her best friend contracts the disease which eventually spreads to her. With the help of an outcast witch, she reaches the beautiful land of Lunae Lumen where she is on a mission that will help her people. Unfortunately, she gets embroiled in the problems of this new land which leads her to shocking secrets and ends up with her making the ultimate sacrifice.

The best part about the book was it's characters, they were well written with backgrounds which helped me love or hate them. Cali and Soraya had their flaws but also the strength to do what is right. Their decisions and actions were appropriate as per their age. I especially love books with strong female characters, and this book was one of them. Bae was well written but someone who is conflicted, so I am yet to decide whether I like him or not.
The world building is amazing and we see the politics of the kingdoms, their beliefs in an entity known as Undine and familial relationships.
There is magic and creatures like the finfolk which was fascinating and I'd like to see more of it in the next book.
The book is written in the 3rd person, something I usually prefer and kept me hooked throughout. There were a few unexpected twists that I liked, and the ending made me want to immediately pick up the next book. There is also a character that I'm most curious about and I'm hoping to get some answers soon. I can definitely say the sequel is going to be even more exciting than this one. For people who enjoy a romantic fantasy with all of the above elements, this book is for you.
Author 8 books1 follower
July 17, 2021
I’m glad to have only read the updated version of this story so that I don’t have to confuse it with the original story. Although I can imagine that seeing the changes that were made would be a lot of fun, too!

This book is kind of like a mixture between The Little Mermaid, The Princess and the Pauper, and Frozen in my mind. And sometimes, there’s even a Garden of Eden feel. One of my favorite lines was, “The jaded worm of jealousy wriggled beneath Cali’s ribs.” I thought that that metaphor was really great! This book is still colloquial enough for a wide audience of readerly ability, too, though, so that’s also good.

The novel is a story of love and betrayal, and mystery and twists. It has a drawing-in tension right from the start; fast-paced yet still taking time for some good, concrete details. The world and characters --- multiple of whose perspectives are entered, and almost all of them incite some sort of sympathy, even if they’re more bad than they are good in their actions and intentions --- are easy to delve into and understand. I especially felt for poor Soraya.

And yeah --- I can imagine that relationship communication would only be made harder when there was a sea witch involved, haha. I kept on wishing that these characters could see one another clearly, and yet, I understood why they weren’t able to at the same time. It’s the darn complexity of life! (: , always making us misunderstand one another.

Overall, I can just imagine that this would’ve been a really fun and beautiful novel to write, and I’m excited to read the rest of the series! Also, I haven’t read the entire series for this novel yet, either, but I also know that Cortney Pearson’s novel Such a Secret Place (now retitled Chosen Guardian) is great, and so is The Perilous In-Between!
Profile Image for Kim - Inside the Wong Mind.
335 reviews27 followers
July 26, 2021
by Cortney Pearson
Book 1 in the Curse of the Pirate series
Rating: 4/5

Wow. Such a fun adventure story with pirates and magic. I really enjoyed this unique retelling of the Sea Witch / Little Mermaid. The author is just getting started with this series and I cannot wait to read more. (The author is releasing the third book within the next few months but she went back and added some more to the first book). I liked the book so much that I purchased a copy for myself.

Cali is the crown princess of Zara and will be celebrating her coronation soon when her father steps down but when a horrible plague threatens those she loves, she refuses to turn a blind and apathetic eye. She seeks out who her father has always warned her against, a follower of Undine Daray, to use her magic to cure the necrosis. When the magic takes her to another land beyond the barrier, she finds herself in a colorful realm full of magic and pirates. She must find specific plants from the royal garden to take back to make the cure. When Cali strikes a deal with the king, she must pretend to be the Princess Soraya who is being courted by Pirate Bae Kelsey. Can Cali fulfill her duties to her people and pretend to be Princess Soraya at the same time? Can Cali find a way to avoid falling in love with Bae?

This unconventional Little Mermaid retelling is perfection and you won't want to miss it. The love story between Bae and Cali is humorous and endearing until the very end. The end leaves off on a bit of a cliffhanger and I can't wait to read the next book.

Highly recommend if you enjoy YA fantasy with pirates and magic.
PG-13 content.

My thanks to the author for providing me with an ARC of the book. All opinions expressed here are entirely my own. No positive review was expected and no compensation received.
Profile Image for Ellie Raymond.
48 reviews5 followers
September 24, 2019
Princess of Death was an interesting read with a unique story. The ending left such a cliffhanger that I can't wait to get started on the next installment. My favorite aspect of the story was the world that was created. I loved how both Kingdoms of Zara and Lunae Lumen differed so much from each other. The author did a great job describing both and emphasizing the differences in the descriptions. I also really loved The Undine and the magic and mystery that surrounded her. It was pretty interesting to see the varying opinions of her from different characters.

Although I enjoyed the story, I didn't care much at all for the main character Princess Caliana. She wasn't very relatable and she seemed sort of bland. I really liked the other characters in the book, with Bae being my favorite, I just didn't think Cali was very likeable. I also felt that the beginning of the story progressed way too fast. Everything moved so quickly in the beginning and Cali seemed to find the answers to each obstacle instantly without much difficulty. The first 1/4 of the book was like this, but once that passed, the story slowed down and that's when I began to really enjoy it. It seemed to really develop after that point and it grew much more interesting.

The ending was great and with how things ended, I'm really excited to see what happens in the next book! Tournament of Power has a lot of potential and I can't wait to see what is in store for the princesses.

I received a copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving my honest review.
Profile Image for Georgia.
355 reviews1 follower
December 14, 2018
I received a free arc for an honest review. The blurb struck my fancy as soon as I read it and I couldn't help but ask for a copy. I debated so hard on how many stars to give it. So hard. I wanted to give it five stars but the beginning was a little slow. At least it was to me. It picks up more around 30-40% of the book when Cali embarks on her quest. I will say this, this book both did and didn't end up what I thought it would be and if you know me, you know I can easily predict where things are going to end up. That whole thing with Bae reminded me of the first season of OUAT when Captain Hook was introduced. Like do you love him or hate him? Both? He's suave in that way that pirates are often portrayed as but like a lot of pretty boys, there's just that nugget of doubt saying that he's only going to hurt you. I'm not even sure where my feelings stand regarding Bae. I'm not even sure where they stand for Cali. I definitely do know that I kind of don't like Soraya. Maybe not even a little bit. I don't know. I'm still processing it. I'm going off on all kinds of tangents. Sorry. The point is, read the book. There's deception, intrigue, a hint of romance, and a lot of betrayal with a feisty main character who can stand on her own two feet with the slight but subtle air of pompousness that goes with being groomed as a princess and a devilishly suave pirate that may capture your heart but could also throw it right back at you.
Profile Image for Ashlee.
270 reviews7 followers
September 24, 2019
Going in to this book, I was really interested by the concept of the book. I like to discover new, original plot lines and this is definitely that. You follow Princess Caliana "Cali" Brahmvir across the boundary with the help of some magic (which is frowned on in her kingdom) to get plants needed to brew a cure for a plague that is overtaking her land. When she's whisked away, she gets caught in the dangers facing another kingdom and the antics of a devilishly handsome pirate prince.

My biggest critiques with the book included how slow it was to get started. There were a lot of unique names for people and kingdoms so it's a lot to take in when you first get started. I will say that it really did pick up when Cali went to Lunae Lumen, the other kingdom and especially when she met Bae, the pirate prince. I don't think this was a terrible book overall, but there were times where I felt disconnected from the plot. Like I wasn't sure where things were going. This is book one in a series, so there wasn't much of a resolution so I may continue reading on to see more of how the story progresses. Again, I was torn between 3 and 4 stars. 3 felt too little but 4 felt too much. Let's say 3.5. I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy.
March 9, 2019
I recently was Blessed to have found the amazing Author Cortney Pearson.

I have truly feel in love with this series is took me by my heartstrings and pulled me in further and further wanting more from beginning to finish. What an adventure! Journey!

Pirates!! Princess's!! Sea witches or (Goddess) Castles and MAGIC!! What more could you ask for in an incredible series.

The main character is Caliana whom is soon to becoming crown Princess of Zara.

Caliana Sacrifices everything to save her people, her friends and herself from the Deadly curse set by the Sea witch Undine
Thus means she has to travel past the boundary to get to Lunae Lumen which holds the cure she will need to help save her people. She will meet a pirate names Bae Kelsey and unknowingly meet her cousin Princess Soraya of Lunae Lumen. Which bring on its own set of challenges along the way.

Seriously, a great adventure you will love and i highly recommend this series to anyone whom loves an amazing story.

This series has become my top favorite and a big love, i truly adore Cortney Pearson and her incredible writing. I cant wait to dive into her other books
Profile Image for Amanda M.
1,928 reviews17 followers
February 2, 2019
This story pulled me in from the beginning, leaving me wanting to read more, to keep turning the pages, to see where the story would go and how it would end. The story gave me more than I expected. It was an eye opener for me. It showed how one person can change and become something more. It gave characters that were relatable. The characters were amazing. The lives everyone in the story lived were different but some of the characters made sacrifices and changed. Then the love that Cali has for her childhood friend Darren and the pirate Bae, was undeniable but this love left Cali with a choice of who she truly loved. Then Cali learned so much on her journey in finding herself and others as well as how they affected or were or are a part of her life.
There's plenty of twists and turns. This is a story that'll leave you wanting more. There's romance, mystery, adventure, action, and more in this story. I cannot wait to find out where the story goes from this point. I'd highly recommend this story to anyone.
Profile Image for Kassie.
34 reviews10 followers
July 31, 2021
I have had the privilege of reading this book twice now, and it just gets better! Cortney Pearson has made the Princess of Death more loveable. I was obsessed with it the first time, and now I just want even more! Cali and Bae are even more perfect for each other, but they have a few major stumbling blocks in their way, including themselves. Can a princess and a pirate work together? All Cali really wants to do is save her people from a plague of certain death, and she will do anything. Even court a pirate! At first, nothing can go wrong, and it's an easy trade...until things DO go wrong, and even more lives are at stake! I thoroughly enjoyed reading of Cali's adventures in a foreign country and her courtship of Bae. Bae is truly more than meets the eye. Are they both pawns in someone else's scheme? Their chemistry is smoldering, and truly enjoyable. But Cali's time is running out to save her people, and she finds out there is more going on than she ever realized.
Profile Image for Brittany Smith.
702 reviews14 followers
February 26, 2019
Cali is not a normal princess-even though becoming the crowned princess of Zara is her dream she would do anything to save her people and Darren. When the plague comes to her kingdom she finds herself not only a victim but the only hope of survival. The thing is though-only magic will help and magic is not allowed in Zara.

I started this book and I did find it a little slow to start to be honest, but by the time I was 30% of the way through though I found myself swept away and flying through it. I couldn’t get enough of it!

The world building was brilliant in this book, great attention to detail. The characters were well rounded, and I found myself with my favourites and then one or two that drove me crazy. Definitely worth reading and I look forward to reading more from Cortney Pearson!
Profile Image for Melonie.
38 reviews6 followers
March 1, 2019
Cortney Pearson is a new author for me,
and I loved this story.

The cover of this book is what first caught my interest; so beautiful, and engaging. Then, I read the blurb and knew this was a book I had to read.

The main character, Cali, braves the unknown to save her kingdom, and is very believable as her character grows and learns. She loves her people, and doesn't let her title go to her head. She discovers what is a new world to her, meets a pirate(s), and makes personal sacrifices for those she cares for.

The story was a bit slow, but once it picks up it leaves you wanting more. I will be reading book 2 as soon as it comes out! I recommend this book if you enjoy magic and pirates!

Profile Image for Mererid Evanna.
265 reviews2 followers
January 13, 2019
The mystery of Undine – Is she witch or goddess? – is at the heart of this unusual fantasy story, which sees a sheltered princess sacrifice life as she knows it and brave a new land of magic to save her beloved and her kingdom. The quest seems simple at first – don't they all? – but is complicated when the other kingdom is threatened by a pirate fleet. I'm always dubious about the romanticization of pirates, but they are appropriately ruthless and brutal here, though the pirate prince is a charmer. Princess Caliana makes a strong-minded heroine who rises to the challenge of her adventure. It honestly isn't the most exciting novel but there are unexpected turns of event and a promising prospects for the next book.
Profile Image for Sairaika.
819 reviews42 followers
January 26, 2020
A deathly read!

To save her people, she must cross the mysterious, impenetrable boundary to reach a treacherous land of magic...

You know, I read the prologue and then just left the book because I wasn't interested - it just wasn't hooking enough for me, I think? Anyways, I recently picked this book back up again and then was immediately hooked and fascinated with this world, the princess and the pirate. If only I carried on reading months before, I would have known what a gem this book is.

Highly recommend this series. Moving on to the next book now!

Full of princesses, pirates, the sea witch/goddess, deception, secrets, magic, greed and romance.

Perfect for readers of fantasy romances.
Profile Image for Elizabeth.
179 reviews4 followers
January 15, 2019
This was a strong introduction to the series. I was left feeling more or less ambivalent about most of the characters, with Cali being the exception.
Cali was an interesting character, and I liked her more and more as the story continued. She is a little entitled, which isn't surprising given her upbringing, but she also has a very strong sense of the responsibilities that come with her position and she cares deeply about others. I didn't really care very much about her romantic interests, but I did care about her. I look forward to watching her character continue to develop.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book.
Profile Image for Christine Marie.
291 reviews12 followers
August 23, 2021
Okay this definitely took me longer than I like when reading a book but HOLY ENDING. Why did I take so long to read 😵‍💫. 2 worlds split by a barrier. 1 Princess is out to save her Kingdom from a plague and another is being forced into marriage to a Pirate lords Son.
There was a long lull that took me away from the plot that I wasn’t sure this novel would be for me but dang it blew me away. The plot twist about 60% in made this WORTH IT. I’ll definitely be looking for book 2 when I get a low down in life where I can sit and read cover to cover 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻.
Profile Image for Tammy.
1,333 reviews30 followers
December 17, 2018
Story was steady paced with action mixed in. I enjoyed the characters of Cali and Bae even though we still aren't sure if he is truly good or bad or just in between. I'm rooting for in between. Soraya seems to be another good character but I'll need to read more about her. The story with Undine was a bit different and interesting. The story ending on a bit of a cliffhanger with the tournaments so I am looking forward to the next one. Story can go many ways in the next.
Profile Image for Erin.
979 reviews7 followers
January 11, 2019
Cali a princess who gets what she wants learns of sacrifice for the first time and she will go through many lengths to save her freinds and her kingdom. She meets many people like Bae and learns of the secrets of her family her father King Marek and her mother hid from her about the goddess Undine and her family. She gains and loses love and learns of the depth she will go to help her cousin Soraya. Looking forward to book 2 and learning of the fates of Zora and Lunae Lumen.
Profile Image for Tamara.
285 reviews1 follower
November 19, 2019
Magic always has a price!

I found this book very interesting. Caliana is a princess and her father forbids magic in their kingdom. When a sickness spreads, she goes in search of a cure. She is told she must gather the ingredients from a kingdom full of magic and she only has a week to complete her task.

This is a must read to find out all the trials she experiences.

I can't wait to read the next one.
Profile Image for Amanda Gregory.
256 reviews7 followers
July 24, 2021
I absolutely loved reading this book. I honestly couldn’t stop reading it. I’m so looking forward to reading the next book to find out what is in store for Cali (my favourite character in the story). Will she end up returning home, will she save her cousins Soraya’s Kingdom and will she win her love back from the Pirate prince Bae. It’s discovering new destinations, family and friends with twist of betrayal and losing everyone to save them.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 58 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.