Start by marking “Speak of the Devil: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Speak of the Devil: A Novel

Speak of the Devil: A Novel (Fritz Malone #1)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  336 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
"From first line to last, Speak of the Devil moves with a rare combination of intrigue and intensity. Its engine runs on high octane adrenalin. Richard Hawke delivers a winner."
--Michael Connelly

It’s a beautiful Thanksgiving morning in New York City. Perfect day for a parade, and Fritz Malone just happens to have drifted up Central Park West to take a look at the floats. A
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published January 10th 2006 by Random House Audio

To ask other readers questions about Speak of the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speak of the Devil

Beth
A fast moving thriller that throws the reader into the middle of the action, as a shooter creates havoc at a parade and the protagonist is the first to realise what's going on and sets off to try and catch the shooter.
For some reason, a lid is being placed on the incident and Fitz is asked to look into things in a private capacity.
The story gets more and more murky. Fitz is a typical, appealing gumshoe.
Many twists before the end of the story.
Probably 3.5 stars
João  Jorge
I guess I could stretch to 3 stars but I just cant get myself to do it. The book is painfully average, so a 2.5 is the exact score it deserves.
We all know the genre. A PI, a mystery, a city as a backdrop, in this case NY, almost a character itself. Some smart-ass lines from the PI, a tangled web of lies and in the end, the good guys win.
I love this kind of stuff. Eat it up. So I picked this up with a good feeling. But its a disappointment. The author tried to subvert some of the tropes but by
Joan
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a new author for me; but I have already downloaded another novel by Richard Hawke. The opening scene of this book is perhaps the best opening scene I've ever read. It is dramatic; it establishes the tone of the novel; it lets the reader know the point-of-view character; it introduces the setting; and it provides background information about the main character.

This author has a very natural style of storytelling, and he makes interesting and effective word choices - showing a very strong
Bookmarks Magazine

At once a serial-killer and political thriller as well as a portrait of a city, Speak of the Devil excited some critics while disappointing others. Richard Hawke, the pseudonym for mystery writer Tim Cockey, has penned a smart, entertaining whodunit__but how each element fit together raised some questions. Malone, a man with a troubled past and a vanished former-police-commissioner father, offers a good character study. But reviewers disagreed about how well Hawke captured the city's pulse, from

lynne naranek
Apr 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I consumed this book in less than a day.

It's one of the few this year that hooked me in pretty much from the first few pages, and kept going pretty much throughout. Sure, by the time we're 80% thru the book I was growling "enough already, let's get to the bad guy already", red herrings and dead ends piling up along the way. But it was still really really good.

And this is a debut novel?? Amazing.

The plot you can get off the dust jacket, so I won't bother.

The main character and his girlfriend have
Kathy
Nov 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This first novel by Richard Hawke was entertaining and compelling enough that I finished it one setting.

The story revolves around the illegitimate son of a former NYC Police Chief who stumbles upon a shooting at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The shooter is killed but the actual mastermind is determined to be someone blackmailing the Mayor and the City for mucho dinero. In order to avoid a panic, the Mayor and current Police Chief enlist our hero in secretly finding the blackmailer.

It was g
Hillery
Mystery and political thriller set in NYC. Starts with a mass shooting at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and takes off from there, with lots of plot twists and turns involving a private eye, the police commissioner, and the Mayor of NYC. Enjoyable, fairly conventional for its genre, and a quick read. Nothing ground-breaking, but not bad either.
Tory
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the hardboiled crime book of the 50s- style, but updated. Really liked it. Liked the characters and the writing and the wit.
Phyllis Clem
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Page-turner!
Kevin Kazokas
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A New York City detective at odds with the cops. An unpredictable villain playing havoc with both sides. A simmering backdrop of police and political conspiracy and cops gone rogue. All the cliche elements of the typical New York City crime novel, right? Even the villain's calculated threats pose the familiar gauntlet of cops and the lead character scrambling to meet demands and sort through the villain's madness before his next diabolical strike. This all seems tried, true and tiring, right?

Wel
Tyrrell Moore
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy detective literature in a traditional sense then Richard Hawke’s Speak of the Devil is a must read. It takes old techniques from Sherlock Holmes and Dupin and adds a modern twist, allowing the story to be more engaging. This story has it all, corrupt law enforcement, dysfunctional relationships, local thugs and much more. Written in the first person, the reader travels around New York City through the eyes of Fritz Malone the private investigator. Taking many twist and turns, moving ...more
Michele
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story has way too many stories going at the same time. The author wants you to believe they are related but it's just too convoluted to work. Even at the end when the author is trying to pull it all together, it just doesn't work.
LJ
SPEAK OF THE DEVIL (Private Investigator-NYC-Cont) – G+
Hawke, Richard – 1st book
Random House, 2005-US Hardcover – ISBN: 1400064252
First Sentence: If she had known she would be dead in another five minutes, maybe she wouldn’t have swatted her son so hard.
*** PI Fritz Malone went out to buy bagels and has stopped to watch in balloons in the New York City Thanksgiving Day Parade. He didn’t expect to see a gunman take aim at the Mayor’s actress girlfriend and start killing people in the crowd. Fritz
Dana
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fritz Malone, a private investigator and bastard son of a former police chief decides to go out for bagels on a beautiful Thanksgiving morning. He lingers to watch the parade and suddenly sees a gunman taking aim on the princess on a float. Fritz throws the bagels at the princess , saving her life and takes after the gunman. Both Fritz and the gunman are apprehended by the police and instead of being driven to the local precinct are driven to a building near police headquarters.

Fritz learns that
Roz Curney-Sherod
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: To Fans of old gum shoe type movies
I was searching for some new holiday books to read this year. I have lots of audio and eBooks for Christmas but very few for Thanksgiving. So when this came up in Audible I jumped all over it. I like Thrillers/Mysteries/Cozy especially ones with a holiday theme. Unfortunately, this is the second Thanksgiving themed story I've read where the crime takes place at a parade. I enjoyed the plot of this book it had a lot of action and lots of twists and turns! I figured out who the killer was half-way ...more
Jerry B
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We had previously read all five of Tim Cockey’s light mystery series about mortician Hitchcock Sewell, and for sure enjoyed the author’s sense of humor. So we thought we’d try this first novel in the Fritz Malone set, for which the author switched to the pseudonym Richard Hawke. Fritz is a private eye, son of a former police commissioner, and thus well known in the law enforcement community. While viewing a Thanksgiving day parade that goes awry with shootings and other mayhem, Fritz gets involv ...more
Kevin Bresnahan
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an fantastic novel, and it could be upped in that it was a debut novel from Richard Hawke. Fritz Malone, a former NYC cop now a private investigator, is put in the middle of a massacre during the Thanksgiving Day parade. An innocent spectator at first, he springs into action and captures the sniper. Oh, but that's only the beginning. As he uncovers a vast conspiracy and web of deceit and destruction, he is in pursuit of a serial killer, dubbed the "nightmare". This book had everything I ...more
Connie
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, but thought the ending could have been done a little differently. It felt like he was rushing to get it done and I didn't really understand what happened. I reread the last couple of pages and I still had questions.

It is hard-boiled and I like that kind of book as it keeps you wondering who the good guys really are. This is #1 in the Fritz Malone series. In a way it reminded me of the Spenser novels. I love Spenser and Hawk. I will read the next one if and when I can find i
Ed
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#1 in the Fritz Malone series. Author Richard Hawke is the pseudonym of Tim Cockey, author of the Baltimore mortician Hitchcock Sewell series.

Fritz Malone, PI and bastard son of former NYC Police Commissioner, chases down a shooter at the Thanksgiving parade. He is taken into custody and then finds that a cop from a suspect precinct in Brooklyn is being given credit for the collar. The shooting was only the first act of an extortion plot and the Mayor and Police Commissioner want Fritz to find t
Carol
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite kind of book. There was good intelligent writing plus some intrigue. A very good read. We have P.I. Fritz Malone the bastard son of a former police commissioner along with Jigs Dugan his shady friend and as always the beautiful girlfriend this time named Margo. All we need is a cat or dog. Throw in some self-righteous politicians and I'm a fan for life...The place, New York City. Malone goes out for bagels and stops for a parade. He sees the man on the low wall with a gun. Shots ring ...more
Angela
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
This story begins with a shooting at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and ends with a web of deception perpetrated by a host of people. Add in mysterious nuns, a slippery Mayor, gangsters, and dirty cops and you have the makings of an A-1 modern thriller. The protagonist is a gum shoe private eye (bringing to mind a dashing younger Humphrey Bogart) with a load of baggage in his past and a bright future. I see this being an engaging series.
Daniel
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Fans of P.I. stories will love Richard Hawke's first Fritz Malone novel. All of the familiar tropes are hit upon brilliantly: the wise-cracking P.I., the understanding and loving girlfriend, the love-hate relationship with the police, and a case that becomes far more complicated than it originally appears. If you like Raymond Chandler or Robert Parker, you'll love SPEAK OF THE DEVIL.
Pam
Oct 08, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
09/04/05 #156
TITLE/AUTHOR: SPEAK OF THE DEVIL by Richard Hawke
Rating: 3.5/C+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Thriller, 2006, 325 pgs
COMMENTS: ARC received at Bouchercon. Thriller set
in NYC, action starts at Thanksgiving parade.
Police corruption, yada, yada. Nothing really
unique but nothing really awful either.
Ann Littlewood
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to make a fresh plot about mass murderer on the loose, but Richard Hawke has managed. The smart-ass private eye is convincing, funny, and smart without the eye-roll of super powers. Minor characters are vivid and the plot lopes along briskly. The twist at the end is a stretch, but the journey was good enough for me to swallow it.
Julie
Mar 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been away from the detective novel for too long. I try to stay faithful to Archie Goodwin, but ah Fritz Malone, he could sway me. Step aside Spencer; this guy's just as smart and doesn't wear it on his sleeve.
Katy-Del
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read. It is an inense mystery that follows a PI working with the police who knows he's not being told the whole story by anyone.

I picked it up because Charlaine Harris recommended it. Otherwise I might never have noticed it.
Jan
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know how you always think of the smart comeback during the night? Well, Fritz Malone doesn't have to wait that long. The plot could have been trimmed of some of its subplots. The bad cops are proverbial, but it doesn't matter. You LIKE Fritz and Margo. (Spencer and Susan?)
David Malmberg
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Outstanding first thriller! I look forward to more by Hawke.

Great thrill ride from start to finish. Author has a tremendous future in front of himself with writing and plotting like this.
Dianne
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable detective story. I liked this author's other books (written under what I presume is his real name) and this one is an interesting change in characters but not voice, which is good, because I like the humor with which he writes his detective stories.
Pat
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Mr. Hawke's writing style. He reminds me of Robert Crais -- sarcastic, witty, yet enough action to keep it interesting. He wrote another series of books (Hitchcock Sewell was the protagonist) under the name Tim Cockey. Those were enjoyable, too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Cure for Night
  • Two Time
  • On the Avenue (The Celebutantes, #1)
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • Murder at the 42nd Street Library (42nd Street Library Mystery #1)
  • Игра на чужом поле (Каменская, #2)
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Thanksgiving
  • Natural Suspect
  • Tahoe Heat (Owen McKenna #8)
  • The Marriage Casket (Antique Lover, #3)
  • Harvest Of Murder
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • Feast of Murder (Gregor Demarkian, #6)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • A Field of Darkness (Madeline Dare, #1)

Fritz Malone (2 books)
  • Cold Day in Hell

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club
  • Grit
  • Fatal Tide
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trinity Game (The Game Trilogy Book 1)
  • Live by Night
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Story
  • The Lost Girls
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Summer (Darling Investigations #1)
  • Depth of Lies
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Supreme Justice (Reeder and Rogers #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide Mystery #1)
  • Gone South