Start by marking “Face Forward” as Want to Read:
Face Forward

Face Forward

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  1,402 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Face Forward is an inspirational and how-to guide to make-up from one of the most sought after and successful make-up artists working today.
Published October 25th 2001 by Little, Brown and Company (first published October 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Face Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face Forward

Roya
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
Although I've read his more popular book, Making Faces , more than once, I never read this book until now. This was published three years after Making Faces and Aucoin is notably more generous with his opinion. Throughout the book he speaks passionately about politics and social issues. Although I have my opinions, I don't like to read books about the harsh unfairness of reality. Slag me off for being vacuous, but I don't care - the reason I read is to forget about these troubles. Nevertheless, ...more
Phyllis
I keep this on the shelf as more of a crazy-ass coffee table book than a makeup advice book. There is a hilariously misguided picture of Tori Amos disguised as an American Indian that Kevyn Aucoin insists is cool because her great-great-grandmother was a Cherokee Princess or something. Oh, OK. Gena Rowlands as Madame Butterfly is pretty clueless and horrifying as well. In spite of the weird racial misfires there are some amazing conceptual looks in this book and it is worth the price of admissio ...more
Mimi
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how many times I have stared at this cover trying to see how they managed to meld the two faces... and yes, they are two faces not just one face made up in two ways. Not that I would put it past Kevyn Aucoin to be able to do it. I guess that's why I always spend time staring before I can look inside.

Kevyn was an amazing make-up artist. Whether you're talking about everyday beauty or stage and screen he's the expert. He also focuses on inner beauty - stresses it, actually - believin
Marissa Alexander
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Oh, Kevin Aucoin... if only you were straight...and alive.... We would have been a lovely couple.

His step-by-steps are obviously missing a lot of steps and explanation, but this is a great book for the appreciation of a true artist. It is also fun to see so many actors/actresses/famous people so young and made-up to (eerily) resemble other famous people. His social views are so on-point today, and I loved that his controversial use of a trans-model was so ahead of its time.

I wish he had lived. H
Alina Frankfurt
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great artist, an open-minded and a visionary that traveled the time, and here we are, 16 years after this book was released, and you can easily see that his work it's timeless. He touched my soul, with his life and his work. At what dimensions Kevyn's work would be if he would still be with us? I'm afraid to answer that questions, I think I do not have such a great amount of imagination...
Heidi
Hilarious book on makeup I happened upon when looking up interesting faces for the characters in my novel. The second half, it turns out, is devoted to actresses made up tor resemble actors from the past. My favorites? Martha Stewart as Veronica Lake and Gwyneth Paltrow as James Dean.
Shirin F
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genius. Every make-up artist should own each of Kevyn Aucoin's books. His timeless techniques are unmatched. This man was a true artist, with such an untimely death. I idolized his work as a child and into adulthood, when I aspired to be a make-up artist.
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
must have
Heather Key
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashionista
I love this book for the knowledge it gives on how to apply make up to get the best results. Must have for those who don't want to waste their money on tons of products they may not need or want.
Harloe
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-done-list
I read this when it first came out, and it changed my life. I thought it was great and I learned a lot. After re-reading it almost 17 years later, my feelings have changed. I still believe that it is a good book to give to beginners. Now with youtube, I wonder if even pre-teens still need a book like this though. You can find far more informative step by step tutorials online. Nor are the looks as avant-garde or inspirational on second viewing. But it was the first time I saw the power of makeup ...more
Ruth
Jun 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the fashion and makeup fans out there
Okay, I admit it...I like books about style, fashion, makeup...I'm a girlie girl! This is a fun book, and the 2nd Kevyn Aucoin book I purchased just to have a good time seeing his amazing makeup transformations. This book (like his first similar book) has great photos of many faces, some familiar celebrities, and in some cases these have been 'transformed' by makeup magic to look like some of the famous stars of the 30s and 40s. Pretty uncanny! Very fun fluff. Some tips and how-tos are in the bo ...more
Kristin
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serious
I enjoyed Face Forward more than Making Faces. There are a lot of great images that show what makeup can really do to change a person's appearance, my favorite example in the book was Gwyneth Paltrow made to look like James Dean. As far as being an actual tutorial book, I think Face Forward is great for teaching concepts like why certain colors work in certain situations but it isn't quite as good with the step by step "how to recreate a look" teaching style.
Beth
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has met me knows that I am SO not a glamour girl, not really into make-up beyond the basics. But in spite of that, I absolutely ADORE Kevyn Aucoin's books. They are completely addictive and irresistible. I keep them next to the tub so I can read them in the bath. Even my husband loves them. Kevyn was an amazing artist who, despite his short life, made a lasting impression on the world of fashion and beauty.
yoli
I found his first book MAKING FACES more informative from a makeup perspective. This was more of a philosophical tract/memoir/gallery of beloved people. However, by including at least two shots of each "model", we are really able to see the impact of makeup on the face in terms of specific products and techniques.
Margaret
A wonderful book of faces wherein Kevyn Aucoin's genius becomes clear. He makes over "regular" people and brings out their natural beauty and makes over celebrities to look like other icons. Awesome.
Jayna
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you are an aspiring makeup artist this book is a must-have. i still pull this book out sometimes when i feel stuck. it refreshes my memory and inspires me. kevyn aucoin is one of the greats in the makeup industry. i highly recommend this book and his other book, making faces.
Lynnette
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kevyn Aucoin was probably the best makeup artist ever. I am a makeup artist and many of my technics I learned from him. Made a lot of money doing it too. Most amazing. I have read it many times. Can't get enough.
Shelley
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely more of a coffee table book but one of the layouts has remained in my mind since I first picked it up back in the '90's. The pictures of Tori Amos representing both sides of her heritage (Mary Queen of Scots and a Native American princess) were images I never forgot.
Imani Phillips
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. I loved getting Kevyn's insight on so many colors and styles, the step-by-step looks, and getting bits and pieces of his personal story as well. After reading this book, I feel a VERY strong urge to go makeup shopping! Lol!
Rini
Aug 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best book i've read in professional make up. kevyn aucoin has a super taste for beauty..plus this book speaks a lot more about him and his philosophy about life beyond make up. a must read for beauty fanatics or people who wants to see another view on beauty.
Tamar
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So thorough! An excellent and comprehensive makeup primer. His transformations section (in which he turns celebrities into other celebrities) is truly amazing...especially Gwyneth Paltrow as James Dean.
Light
May 21, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am hearing mixed reviews on this book but I will give it a shot anyway, I am looking for a book to help with my photography, right now I am reading make-up books to do digital make-up in my post processing but I know I will cross over to real life applications later.
Eliza
Aug 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, non-fiction
I loved “Making Faces” so much that I had to get “Face Forward” when it came out. It did not disappoint. These books were my obsession in high school. They taught me a lot, and I even used them to teach an enrichment mini-class for the ladies at church.
Norak Kamis
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beauty-cosmetics
Kevyn Aucoin is a magic man, he could transform you into someone you won't even recognise. It features alot of celebrities like Madonna, Sharon Stone, Julia Roberts and you would be so amazed at how beautiful every each page is. Its a must have to add into your collection.
Nohelia
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: make-up
Forgot to actually add a review to this book. Anyway, thanks to this book and Making Faces I can finally do a decent wing eyeliner, do my under eye concealer without creasing, and use mascara properly.

Heather
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Kevyn Aucoin - this is an amazing book, and a must-have for any make up artist, or anyone who just appreciates fabulous makeup!

BTW - the transformations in this book are incredible!
Allison Thurman
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
How tos for marvelous fun theatrical looks!
Robyn
Nov 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book for all those who love the art of make-up.
ReginaFalange
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: random
So informative great book of the late most talented makeup artist!
Krystal
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a makeup artist, inspiring makeup artist, or just someone who loves makeup then this is a must read. Kevin Aucoin was a brilliant makeup artist who gives great tips and info in this book!
  • Kevyn Aucoin: A Beautiful Life
  • Makeup: The Ultimate Guide
  • Makeup Makeovers: Expert Secrets for Stunning Transformations
  • Sephora: The Ultimate Guide to Makeup, Skin, and Hair from the Beauty Authority
  • Jemma Kidd Make-up Masterclass
  • Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro
  • The Makeup Artist Handbook: Techniques for Film, Television, Photography, and Theatre
  • Stage Makeup
  • Beauty: The New Basics
  • Eye Candy: 50 Easy Makeup Looks for Glam Lids and Luscious Lashes
  • The 5-Minute Face: The Quick  Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman
  • Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Step-by-Step Techniques
  • Makeup Your Mind: Express Yourself
  • Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me: A Unique Guide to Over 35,000 Products, Plus the Latest Skin-Care Research
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between
  • About Face: Amazing Transformations Using the Secrets of the Top Celebrity Makeup Artist