Start by marking “Frost” as Want to Read:
Frost

Frost

The end of the world as they knew it had come and gone, and the remnants of mankind struggle to survive in a barren landscape. Twenty-three-year-old Finn sets out on a desperate mission to scavenge for the much-needed medicine to help his sister. He knows better than to trust anyone, but when a total stranger saves him from a vicious gang, the unexpected act of kindness re ...more
Published March 4th 2019 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frost

Start your review of Frost
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Hearts

Any proper apocalyptic story is going to be bleak as the daily, if not hourly, struggle to survive weighs heavily like an unbearable burden.

Here, Finn’s situation is no different, but he bravely takes a risk to help his sick sister, venturing into the dangerous city to scavenge for supplies. Unfortunately, he encounters an unsavory group who’s also looking for some rare treasures, but avoids death by the kindness of a stranger named Spencer.

This showcases perfectly that despite harsh rea
Elena
I liked the setting and the characters, but it felt like the author tried to squeeze a longer novel into a 100-page novella. As a result, the characters weren’t fully fleshed out and the relationship development was too rushed. Too bad, because I like the writing and I think this could have been a much better story if it had been given more room to grow.
Cristina
***ARC provided by NineStar Press through NetGalley***

This is a great novella set in a post-apocalypse world immersed in an eerie nuclear winter.

Its release date is fast approaching (March 4th) and my intention is to re-read the story and then write a proper review.

All I can say now is that I loved the worldbuilding and the characters. The writing is beautiful and goes smoothly from meditative to fast-paced, involving the reader in the tough predicament of Finn, Spencer and Siobhan.

The only down
Evie Drae
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to start off this week’s review with a holy shmoly! I went into Frost by Isabelle Adler—and published by NineStar Press—completely blind, which isn’t something I make a habit of, but something I’m learning can be very, very fun.

This was an amazing novella that dove into a post-apocalyptic space with such gorgeous world building and flawless character development that I was near-to-drooling by the time I finished. My readerly bum was on the edge of my seat and my nails were gnawed to n
Alisa
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I've read by this author in the last month and it was another hit for me. (I also highly recommend her book Adrift). I am a sucker for apocalypse settings in books and read them a lot. This was the first time though that I have read a book when the apocalypse caused a constant snow and cold temperature. I thought it was unique and since it would be mine own personal hell I was totally drawn in to it.

The book was relatively short but still did a good job with the world bui
Charlotte
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, let’s get this out-of-the-way – this is a novella! And my one complaint about it is that I can’t believe it’s not a novel! Sometimes, I can read an entire book and not feel any great connection with the characters. That is not true of this short work by Isabelle Adler.

This story is set in a post-apocalyptic type of world, basically a nuclear winter. The reader is introduced to Finn, a young man who is hunting for medication for his sister at an abandoned and run-down hospital. He encounter
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A terrific, sublime post-apocalyptic romance story (with a HEA!) during a nuclear winter and where a brother is taking care of his sick sister but finds companionship, and more, along the way. A book which shows love can be found in a hopeless place.

I simply ADORED the characters & how knit tight the siblings were. Finn is such a charming, caring brother who does literally everything to get the needed medicine for h
Jacqueline Rohrbach
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frost by Isabelle Adler is a story about finding something other than survival to make life meaningful. Finn sets out to find medicine for his ailing sister and is jumped by a gang. Luckily, Spencer intervenes and saves him. As Spencer and Finn get to know each other, feelings of love develop and Finn and Spencer both take a leap of faith on their budding romance.

What I liked about Frost is how it played with my expectations about survival novels. Usually, the world ends and the protagonists fi
Kazza
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This wasn't exactly what I was expecting. It isn't the slightest bit dark and the romance is of the very, very insta kind. It's nice. If you are the kind of person who wants nice end-of-world reading then this could be a good one for you.

Short blog review
 photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png
Solly
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so nice!! (maybeee it's even 4.5 stars, I'm not sure)

I have a lot of Feelings and Thoughts and I'm gonna try to word them.

I really loved the worldbuilding! It's a romance set during a nuclear winter, and the worldbuilding is simple enough not to take over the story and realistic enough that I was like: yeah well that definitely would happen if we were thrown into a nuclear winter. Basically: most human beings are shitty, and the world 'ending' would make it so much worse. I did asked my
Kathryn
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the prose in this so much - clear, concise, and lyrical. And dystopian end of the world books are completely my jam, so I loved the take on how things might go after everything falls apart. An endless winter sounds like my absolute worst nightmare, and definitely makes things hard as far as surviving. Spencer was swoon-worthy. Like most others, I really wanted more, but loved this short take on a fun, queer end of the world story.
R.J. Sorrento
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this in two sittings. I was enraptured by the story immediately, and I loved the subtle detail and creative world building in describing life during a nuclear winter. A beautiful, suspenseful and emotional tale with a gorgeous bittersweet romance at its heart.
Kelly
I really liked this! You could describe it as short and sweet, but there's substance to the story and it felt relatively complete, with each of the three principle characters having something important to do. The perfect way to while away an evening on the couch.
Donna
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frost tells the tale of Finn and Spencer in a post-apocalyptic world struggling to survive and find a reason to keep on going. I liked Finn and his relationship with his sister and I loved Spencer’s view on life. I felt like the world was really depressing and it was only the budding relationship between Finn and Spencer that kept me turning pages.
Just Gimme Da Books
This blew me away. The setting was so well handled--a post-apocalyptic world with all the expected, yet packed with the unexpected, as well. And the fact that the author was able to achieve a sense of happiness and hope at the end despite the setting was... truly impressive. I will definitely be reading more from this author!
Polina Ganeva
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Book thoughts in 300 words and 3 gifs

Three 'Frosty’ stars 🐼🐼🐼

‘Frost’ is a novella by Isabelle Adler which follows Finn and Spencer, two boys who meet in the middle of a post-apocalyptic cold world.

The concept of the setting is interesting but under-developed. There is not much information provided about the surroundings of the characters, except the fact that it’s bad, cold and lonely. It’s also dangerous and for the purpose of the story, said danger finds our characters so the rest can save th
Kim
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had no idea what to expect with Frost - was interested in the book because of the post-apocalyptic story and the gorgeous cover. Thoroughly enjoyed!

Finn and his sister live in a post-apocalyptic world where environmental factors such as toxic snow and giant hail - not to mention threats from roving gangs and dwindling supplies - mean survival is difficult. While trying to find medicine for his sister, Finn is saved by a group of bandits by Spencer, and a new relationship tentatively begins.

Fr
ChaosMoondrawn
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would rate this 4 stars.

This is a post-apocalyptic short novella set in the future near Indianapolis. It's told from Finn's POV and starts with him trying to find medicine at the hospital for his sister Siobhan. He meets Spencer, who rescues him from looters and gives him shelter during a storm. Established trust goes a long way in helping them grow closer in the trying circumstances, so although it's within a quick timeframe, it seems very natural that they develop feelings so quickly. In a
Alicia
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book grabbed me from the first sentence. The setting was (all too) believable, and the writing was excellent. My main quibble was that I wanted the story to be longer, to go into more depth. That's not to say what was on the page wasn't complete; I just would have liked more. I'd also have liked to have seen both MCs' POVs. I want to know more about Spencer. That said, this was a solid book. I was grateful to receive an ARC, and I'll be looking for more from this author. Recommended!
Shannon
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Horrible, horrible book. I expected a book about surviving an apocalypse with a little romance. Most of the book is spent with Finn drowning in his libido with occasional moments of guilt for not taking care of his sister.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend the book. I regret requesting it from Netgalley. The best part of the book was when it finally ended.

I received this book as an ARC through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
1.5/5 stars
Polly Krize
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

So much apocalyptic fiction is around these days that I found this book refreshing and well written. Searching for medicine for his ill sister, Finn meets Spencer in the midst of nuclear winter and violent gang action. They are attracted to each other, but when Spencer is captured, Finn must try to rescue his new friend.
MariF
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Can a post-apocalypse story be a sweet romance? Apparently it can, at least this one is.
I can't say I've read anything new but the story itself was very nice-flowing and heart-achingly sweet. I liked that both MCs were not super-hero type, just people trying to survive in extremely hazardous conditions and circumstances that might turn lethal at any moment.

Zaneta Warren
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good novella and it really kept my interest. Learning about the characters and the world was very good and made the story better. This should have been a novel but I enjoyed the book none the less.
Sandy
The world building and the characters were the highlights of this story. Unfortunately, the writing was average and just didn't draw me in. I'm not a huge fan of insta-love and the plot and character development felt really rushed. There were several plot points that just made no sense to me and there was an excessive amount of explaining and then re-explaining as if the author assumed the reader wasn't savvy enough to understand what she was trying to say. The relationships between Finn and his ...more
Eva Scalzo
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
an ice age has settled over earth and the people who have survived it must scavenge for everything. food, shelter, medicine...nothing is certain in frost. when spencer saves finn from a life-threatening situation, they form a friendship that is forged in hardship.

there are hints of attraction, but finn is afraid to explore things further, especially since he needs to get back to his ailing sister. if anything happens to her while he was off enjoying himself, he wouldn't be able to live with the
Coltostallion
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This review is based on an ARC.

This is not a take on the apocalypse I personally have read before, so I found it fresh and interesting. The situation also gives some credence to what I would disappointedly call "insta love" in many other contexts. There were a few minor editing issues, but those may well be fixed in the finish work.
Paul
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fresh take on a post-apocalypse setting, which was well-executed. Kudos on an engaging plot, sophisticated writing, and enjoyable characters -- all the things I look for in a good novel. I look forward to the next installment, and recommend this quick read!

Thanks very much for the ARC for review!!
Amy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-them, arc-s
This was pretty short, but I really enjoyed the story. Finn and Spencer found love when there wasn’t much hope of anything hopeful. This was a very sweet post-apocalyptic story.
Ana
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A post-apocalyptic setting for a romance, is the kind of story that always got my attention. Frost had some charming characters and an attractive plot. It was exactly what I was looking for.

There is a little too short or maybe it was because I liked it that I wanted it to be longer. The plot was very interesting. It had a steady paced and a nice, easy to read, writing style. I liked the setting. It reminds me the actual weather situations this days. It make it seem realistic enough to be facing

• Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Abundance
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • Best in Show
  • Raze (Riven, #3)
  • Play It Again
  • Valhalla
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Sin & Salvation
  • Bisclavret
  • Santa Daddy
  • A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)
  • Fair Game (All's Fair, #1)
  • So This is Christmas
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)
  • Fair Chance (All's Fair, #3)
Isabelle Adler writes M/M romance, sci-fi, adventure, and fantasy.
She has been a voracious reader from the age of five and always dreamed of one day putting her own stories into writing. She loves traveling, art, and science, and finds inspiration in all of these. Her favorite genres include sci-fi, fantasy, and historical adventure. She also firmly believes in the unlimited powers of imagination