Start by marking “Unlikely Friends” as Want to Read:
Unlikely Friends

Unlikely Friends

(The Abernathy & Crane Series #1)

Irwin is not only the local Librarian; he’s also a book snob and an all-around grouch. There’s nothing he values more than his privacy. As a loner, he’s happy to be surrounded by books instead of subjected to the incessant blatherings of dysfunctional people.The one thing Irwin despises more than people is change. He’s content in his predictable, routine existence…until a ...more
Published February 11th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Unlikely Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlikely Friends

Start your review of Unlikely Friends
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Irwin is the local librarian and grouch.  He has spent years isolating himself from people and following a predictable routine after a tragedy changed his life forever.

Enter Harper Crane, a stubborn teenager who has her heart set on building a friendship with grouchy Irwin.  The more Irwin resists, the more Harper pushes herself into his life.  Her life has not be an easy one and Irwin quickly realizes she has experienced pain and tragedy also.
The two form an unlikely bond that helps them cope
Ralph
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this story of a couple of introverts who find each other. Together they are able to help each other in their lives. I highly recommend this book as a perfect read for whenever you get the urge to enjoy a book.
N.N. Light
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a moving tale of the power of friendship and how your greatest friend can be found where you least expect it.

My Rating: 5 stars
Lynda Dickson
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 17+
Shelves: new-adult
Irwin is an “aging librarian, who was close to retirement”. He prefers “to exist between the pages of his books, exploring new worlds without the threat of heartache, loss, and personal catastrophe”. Fifteen-year-old Harper spends her spare time at the library, her escape from “The old dilapidated house she called home, with its sagging porch and peeled paint, could have easily been mistaken for abandoned”. She lives there with her mother Olivia. Her father Darren has just been released from pri ...more
Lydia H
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
What a beautiful story! Truly.

If this were to be made into a movie, it would be PERFECT for the Lifetime Movie Network or even the Hallmark Channel.

It's one of those stories that leaves you smiling, feeling content with how everything unfolded. It's a story that makes you truly FEEL all the emotions as you turn the pages. I smiled, I got teary-eyed, I felt heartbroken, I laughed, and overall, I felt fully engrossed in these characters and their lives.

Irwin was a grouch, yes, but he had every
Coco.V
Jul 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (7/2/2019)! 🎁
Sandra Cox
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We could all use a guardian angel like Irwin in our lives

I would recommend this book as a light hearted just for fun read. It feels good to know that there are happy endings. That even in tragedy, you can find goodness , if you open your eyes and heart to receive if. Within every person lived g oodness.
Susan Jordan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Great Book filled with Unforgettable Characters

Where to begin? As I was reading Unlikely Friends, my mind went to the quote from Henry David Thoreau, “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” While I’m not sure I agree with that sentiment, I would say the mass of humanity lead lives of isolation. I believe Abdulaziz has created characters that are ordinary people, people we pass on the street or drive past in a car, or see in a store. Or in a library. People who deal with the same dif
Billy Buttons
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: Unlikely Friends

Writing Style: 10/10
Content: 9/10
Cover: 9/10
Of the 17 readers:
17 would read another book by this author.
16 thought the cover was good or excellent.
17 felt it was easy to follow.
17 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
Of all the readers, 6 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘plotting a st
Reem Fakhry
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm sure you've heard people say 'friends are the family you choose.' Well, Sahar Abdelaziz has definitely heard that and she has proven it through her story Unlikely Friends. The character line up of Unlikely friends are people that I can imagine meeting in the world around me. These characters are full of complexity. Their joys and sorrows play out on the page and in your mind.

We start the story meeting Irwin Abernathy. The best way to describe Irwin is curmudgeonly. He is a librarian who live
Alex
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than I thought. Cast right, would be an enjoyable movie.
SUE
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story immensely. It was a page turner that had me laughing and a little nervous at times. All characters were great together.
Harriet Van Houten
If ever there was a way to describe the characters of Unlikely Friends, one may say "A motley crew".
These characters are so different how did they ever get together, so much so, they have made themselves a Family.

You will cry and you will laugh, but either way, you will shed tears!!

I highly recommend this book!!

J.C. Wing
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my goodness … where do I start? There wasn’t a single thing I didn’t love about this book! The whimsical cover caught my eye, drew me in, and I was quite content to study it for several minutes while contemplating the tag line: “No matter how old you are, it’s never too late to heal.” I was hooked before I ever got to the first page.

Abdulaziz has indeed written a whimsical tale full of sarcastic wit, snappy dialogue, laughter and lively characters. But life isn’t always whimsical, and this t
Sharon
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Each evening the girl selected a different book to place on the side table next to her chair, evidently left for him to find. Tucked inside he’d find an insufferable message, penned in chicken scratch on bright yellow sticky notepaper. The first one read, ‘It wouldn’t kill you to smile more.’ The second, ‘I heard somebody call you ‘Irwin.’ Please help me sleep at night—tell me that’s not your real name.’"

I really enjoyed the friendship between Irwin and Harper. Loneliness and heartbreak do not
Nikki Cook
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are not many books that make me fall a little in love on the very first page, but Unlikely Friends did exactly that. I was immediately drawn to Irwin and his grumpy but unintentionally funny ways. I also immediately liked Harper, even though she was an angsty teen. Reading their interactions brought a smile to my face, and occasionally made me laugh out loud. While not all of the characters are completely fleshed out, this is actually a short book and you get enough to care for them all.

T
Michael Ventrella
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Abdulaziz's characters are never cardboard cutouts, but real people with real emotions that we care about. Even the "bad guys" are well-rounded and believable. This slice of life may have a happy ending, but that doesn't mean it's free from conflict, tragedy, and parts that make you tear up even when you're trying not to.

Book lovers will appreciate this tale, most of which takes place in a library with a grumpy curmudgeon who is more than he seems. The people of the Poconos who populate the plac
Diane
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone needs an Unlikely Friend...
People often enter our lives during times when we don’t even realize we need them. Sahar
Abdulaziz’s latest book, Unlikely Friends, centers on a quirky, lovable cast of characters who find each other and unite to form a bond as strong as any family. The book covers a few difficult topics but will keep you laughing and crying, and falling deeper in love with the grouchy Irwin Abernathy
and sassy teenager, Harper Leigh as they join together to fulfill many unspok
Papatia Feauxzar
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow...Wow...Wow! I simply loved it. I loved Irwin for many reasons, and I also loved the rest of the characters too. They are truly relate-able folks. One character that you won't forget is Darren. I laughed, I cried and I somewhat healed in the process alhamdullilah. Abdulaziz's works while highlighting important social ills also show the humanity in the human race. Well done!
Now, this book and another one make me want to eat some Baked Ziti!
Evels
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming

Strangers putting aside their prejudice and fear to help one another and to heal. That is the kind of story that gives a reader hope. Unlikely Friends is that kind of story. Just like the title suggests., one person can change the lives of others and in so doing that person's life is also changed. Irwin lost people but because he let in a young girl in need, he gained a family. Kudos to Miss Abdulaziz for another wonderful book.
Irene
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book shows that the most unlikely people can become friends and family.
Irwin who acts like he doesn't want to be around people, turns into a prince charming just about.
Harper a teenage girl tilts Irwin's world on it's axis. They are opposite yet just alike. Harper's world comes crashing down and Irwin is there to pick up the pieces. These two really are the most unlikely of friends.
Great read, you get the back story of every character. Touches day to day life.
Deborah King
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An unforgettable story and my first read of 2020.

Two unique people—one old—one young form an unbreakable bond of trust and love. Little did they know, they would invite a friend, a mother, and a father to become a small family.

Irwin Abernathy, a librarian, is a cranky, sarcastic, older man, who has no desire to endure the shenanigans Harper Crane, a teenage girl, who seeks refuge in the library after her school-day.
Both of these characters have seen or lived through their significant share of lo
Mary
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harper and Irwin

Harper was a lonely teenager girl who sought refuge in the library. Irwin worked in that library and was so grumpy that nearly no one liked him. Two unlikely friends that stumbled into each other's lives.
Randy Brown
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story.
Melanie Surani
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a cute story about not judging people too quickly. Nicely paced, bits of humour. ...more
Samantha Soccorso
Friends and Family

Unlikely Friends has been an amazing book to read page after page. If you like family, drama and friendship this is the book for you to pick up.
Jerry Shuck
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A feel good read

I just finished Unlikely Friends. The characters were all so different yet they managed to come together. The book tells a heartwarming story without any bad language or sexual situations. I think the story would make a good Hallmark movie.
Farah Zaman
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Unlikely Friends. It's a funny, heart-warming, emotional rollercoaster of a book that will keep you hooked until the last page. Highly recommend! ...more
Carol
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful book

I enjoyed this so much! There were challenges that the characters met and overcame.Well worth reading. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
sheri victor
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great weekend read

This was a fascinating story of two people who were totally opposite becoming fast friends/family. I really enjoyed the whole book. It was refreshing :)

• The Anti-Boyfriend
  • Don't Lie to Me (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery, #1)
  • Homeroom Diaries
  • Spoiler Alert (Spoiler Alert, #1)
  • A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Murder (Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #3)
  • Fortune and Glory (Stephanie Plum, #27)
  • SPY×FAMILY 2 (Spy x Family, #2)
  • Life is Strange: Dust #1
  • The Wife Lie
  • SPY×FAMILY 1 (Spy x Family, #1)
  • No Fixed Address
  • Twisted Hearts (The Camorra Chronicles, #5)
  • All In Series Eight Book Box Set (Gambling With Love)
  • The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)
  • Autumn Bones (Agent of Hel, #2)
  • False Prophet (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #5)
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
  • The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #1)
2020 Finalist in The Wishing Shelf Book Award

2019 Winner of the Daybreak Press Book Award for Muslim Fiction

2019 Finalist in The Wishing Shelf Book Award

2016 Winner of the Community Written Expression Award

“Abdulaziz is a master at crafting a thriller that is paced by truth.”

When suspense writer, Sahar Abdulaziz isn’t busy plotting a stabbing, a garroting, or a murder ––all on paper of course––sh

The Abernathy & Crane Series (3 books)
  • Devoted Friends