Start by marking “The Places I've Cried in Public” as Want to Read:
The Places I've Cried in Public

The Places I've Cried in Public

Amelie loved Reese. And she thought he loved her. But she’s starting to realise love isn’t supposed to hurt like this. So now she’s retracing their story and untangling what happened by revisiting all the places he made her cry.

Because if she works out what went wrong, perhaps she can finally learn to get over him.
Published October 3rd 2019 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Places I've Cried in Public, please sign up.
Ben Babcock Short answer: probably 15+. The main character is 16 or 17 years old (just starting her A Levels).

I think "age ratings" in YA are difficult asks…more

I think "age ratings" in YA are difficult asks because tweens and teens develop at such radically different rates sometimes. My question is always just, "are these issues they'll see as relevant to themselves"? Some 14-year-olds are mature enough to handle books like this, and indeed, I'm sure some 14-year-olds might *need* a book like this if they've started dating.

This book has depictions of controlling behaviour and sexual assault, as well as consensual sex—nothing super graphic, but potentially triggering depending on what the reader has experienced so far in life.(less)

Start your review of The Places I've Cried in Public
jessica
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow. i am really quite taken aback by this novel. the synopsis gave me ‘500 days of summer’ vibes, but what is actually present is a detailed reflection on what it means to be in a healthy relationship.

this is extremely deep for a YA novel, but i can only commend HB for writing something so powerful as this. its not fluffy, its not adorable, it didnt make my cheeks hurt from smiling so much, but it is real. and its so important that those in the YA age range are getting exposure to this kind of
Joanne Harris
A really good and insightful glimpse into the psychology of grief, via sexual awakening, abuse, trauma, forgiveness and therapy. The voices are authentic; the protagonist both endearing, funny, naive, ultimately wise, and always wholly believable. The turbulence of first love, with all its dizzying highs and lows, is beautifully represented. I wish it had been around at the time, to give it to my teenage self. It might have saved a lot of tears.
jaime ⭐️
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
book 5 out of 100

“You never know if happy memories are going to become sad ones. They glow and shine in the vast realms of our subconscious, making that part of our brain feel like it’s filled with glitter. We pick them up and cradle them like expensive cats, or wriggle into them like they are jumpers we’ve left to warm on a radiator. Until the day when, for one reason or another, life can suddenly make this happy memory into a sad memory instead. Good memories exist in the naivety of not
MariaWitBook
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“One of the things the brain does to feel safe, is it creates an intense bond with the person who hurts us. It’s the egos way of protecting itself.” .... if only for this three lines ... you have to read this book. Thank you Holly Bourne.
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mental-health
Wow

This book is so important

Review to come
Abigail
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book follows Amelie, a sixteen year old who moves Down South from Sheffield, leaving behind friends, a boyfriend, and sixth form for an unknown town somewhere insignificantly near London. She's musical. She's self-deprecating. She wears granny cardigans and vintage dresses. She likes her parents. What happens (or more specifically who happens) after she joins a new college makes up the rest of the book.

Amelie's first person narrative has a very strong voice, and as frustrating as it is to
Sasha
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Does every copy have a signature of Holly on the first page? OR DID I RECEIVE A SIGNED FIRST EDITION.
Bookphenomena (Micky)
This was my first Holly Bourne read but I have come away a little unsure if her writing style is for me. I am a stalwart fan of British contemporary YA, some of my favourite YA is UK written and based, because of course I want that real connection with my culture.

It took me a good third of the book to really get settled into the story and the characters. Overall, I didn’t really connect with any character in the book and I feel that I should have connected with Amelie. She irritated me on and
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
Ellie Beadle
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
i'm not gonna review this cause i work for the publisher and i am the most ethical bitch u ever did meet however i would recommend this book and thats all i'm gonna say hashtag coy
Gabby
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I was super-lucky and managed to win this in a raffle at YALC!

I honestly do not know how to express what I'm feeling without spoiling the book. But alas, I'll try. I've seen so many other reviews of this label the book as 'important' and I 100% agree. This is a must-read. It wonderfully articulates what a toxic, abusive relationship is like and how easy it is for the abuser to manipulate and control someone and make them think that it's love.

I felt so incredibly frustrated, sad, angry - SO!
Chloe
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly incredible. It told a really brave and honest story, that I’m so so glad is being told in YA! If you wanna cry, want a book that will really make your feel something, pick this book up.
hillary
Mar 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
I managed to grab an arc of this book at the London Book Fair. I can’t wait to read it ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
I love it when it's time to pick up my annual Holly Bourne! The Places I've Cried in Public is Holly's most recent YA novel. Amelie's life is turned upside down when she's forced to move to the south of England from Sheffield, where she has friends and a boyfriend she loves.

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.
Karen Barber
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not due out until October, when Holly Bourne tweeted regarding a rather well-known book store selling these beautiful green-edged versions - and sending them immediately...THREE WEEKS BEFORE PUBLICATION - I succumbed and ordered. I’m glad I did, but this was a book that nearly broke my heart.
Our narrator, Amelie, is a shy young lady forced to leave her best friends and boyfriend to move from Sheffield to the South (and I honestly couldn’t tell you where). She is, understandably, anxious about
Gabriela Pop
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We leave behind echoes of our lives everywhere we go, trapping them into the fabric of the world around us."
CW: emotional abuse, rape, ptsd
A very important story about the many ways one can break a girl and the difficulties she then encounters not only putting herself back together, but also coming to terms to the trauma she's been dealing with without realising what she was dealing with. Holly Bourne is a master at her craft and shares this story with undeniable tenderness, care and respect.
Janna
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a powerful and important read. I'm truly speechless. This is my new favorite Holly Bourne book.

For all the girls who ever felt they weren't good enough in a certain relationship; this book is for you.
Becky
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
As always Holly Bourne you’ve written an incredible book.

This story follows Amelie, a young & naive girl who only wants to find happiness. She ends up having to move away from her home in Sheffield as her dad loses his job and he gets employed elsewhere. They move down into the South and Amelie doesn’t seem to click with many people right away.
She ends up meeting Reese - he’s the lead singer in the band and he seems cool. However it turns out he’s quite the opposite.

This story is really
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
lara
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars*

This book was raw and honest and so so necessary! I really liked the later scenes with the therapist, where we are told about how trauma bonds work and why the love of those who abuse us is so addictive. It is definitely an important read and I think most teenage girls and even older people would benefit from being able to acknowledge the subtle signs of abuse. It's also such an important book for anyone to let them know they aren't alone and to remove any guilt they may put on
Sharon
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
"Good memories exist in the naivety of not knowing any better"

Amelie is retracing the story of her relationship with Reese, visiting all the places where she cried over him in an effort to try and see where it all went wrong.

This is a touching story about a relationship that went very wrong very fast, one I'm sure many people can unfortunately identify with. I think that this, while sometimes very uncomfortable and upsetting, could ultimately really help people see the warning signs of a
Kate
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
This was my first read by Holly Bourne, and I absolutely loved it. I will definitely be picking up all her other books ASAP!

This book caught my eye at the book shop, I picked it up, and then for some reason I had to have it and I had to start reading it. I’m so glad I did.

In my opinion, this book portrays toxic relationships very well. At some points it was very eerie for me to read because of the accuracy!

I cannot wait to read more books by Bourne in the (very near) future!
Pip
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wish I'd had this book when I was 18. Brilliant and important and wonderfully written.
Carla
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had this book three years ago. I'm glad it exists.
Ben Babcock
Every time I start another Holly Bourne book, I’m scared. I think, “Is this the time? Is this the book where Bourne lets me down, and I have to be disappointed??” And the answer is always no, as it is with The Places I’ve Cried in Public. I read this mostly in private, but otherwise there would have been some public tears, let me tell you.

Trigger warnings in this book for discussion and depictions of emotional and sexual abuse by a boyfriend.

Amelie has recently moved from Sheffield to the south
maya
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
*2.5 stars
ma'am....the writing really wasn't it. i went every time the author expressed their character's emotions THROUGH ALL CAPITAL LETTERS or just does this "!!!". like GIRL are we a wattpad novel in 2013? i don't think so. another thing that made the writing really cringy in my opinion was the fact that sometimes it felt like something was meant to be funny when it was actually just really... not.
but this was a book about sexual abuse and toxic/abusive relationships, which is a really
Ashley
Jul 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
500 Days of Summer vibes from description?

Why do I purposely break my own heart?
Georgi
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY HEART HOLLY, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
The Places I've Cried In Public has to be the most heartbreaking read by Holly Bourne that I've read so far, and the only two books of hers I haven't gotten around to yet is Soulmates, How Do You Like Me Now and The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting. This book is incredibly important, powerful and a must read. I'd be dying to read this for so long and when this beautiful edition was released in Waterstones early I scrambled to get a copy! I must admit I'm not
Aamir Rasool
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

THIS. BOOK.

REVIEW TO COME
Amy
My blog: A Magical World of Words

Source: Thank you so much to Penguin Random House SA for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed this book. All thoughts are my own.

4.5 stars.

There has never been a Holly Bourne book I didn't enjoy. She's an auto-buy author for me, and she never disappoints.

Naturally, I adore her writing. Her prose is so poetic, profound, and cuts right to the raw heart of the character, emotion, or situation. She's extremely
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Furious Thing
  • Meat Market
  • Rose, Interrupted
  • The Wrong Side of Kai
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • Love, Secret Santa
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • In the Time We Lost
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Letting Go
  • Dead Popular
  • I Hold Your Heart
  • Chinglish
  • The Deathless Girls
  • The Million Pieces of Neena Gill
  • The Girl with Space in Her Heart
  • Heartstream
Holly started her writing career as a news journalist, where she was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year. She then spent six years working as an editor, a relationship advisor, and general ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity – helping young people with their relationships and mental health.

Inspired by what she saw, she started writing teen fiction, including the best-selling,
“Abuse is also when your personality is attacked, not just your body. Abuse is feeling like you constantly have to walk on eggshells around the person you're supposed to love. Abuse is being cut off from your friends, even if you could never prove it was their idea you did it. Abuse is being made to feel you're going crazy. Abuse is being lured in with grand promises and wild declarations of love that can never be sustained. Abuse is being pushed into doing sexual things you're not comfortable with. That is also called rape, another word that has taken me some time to feel belongs to me. Abuse is intentionally humiliating you. Abuse is constantly blaming you for everything, and never them.” 5 likes
“It’s such a simple torture – the silent treatment. As basic as tripping someone over or pulling their chair out before they sit down. And yet it’s so very effective. When someone has the willpower to pretend you’re not there, it nullifies you. How do you fight against that humiliation?” 3 likes