Start by marking “The Places I've Cried in Public” as Want to Read:
The Places I've Cried in Public

The Places I've Cried in Public

Amelie loved Reese. And she thought he loved her. But she’s starting to realise love isn’t supposed to hurt like this. So now she’s retracing their story and untangling what happened by revisiting all the places he made her cry.

Because if she works out what went wrong, perhaps she can finally learn to get over him.
Published October 3rd 2019 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Places I've Cried in Public, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Places I've Cried in Public

Joanne Harris
A really good and insightful glimpse into the psychology of grief, via sexual awakening, abuse, trauma, forgiveness and therapy. The voices are authentic; the protagonist both endearing, funny, naive, ultimately wise, and always wholly believable. The turbulence of first love, with all its dizzying highs and lows, is beautifully represented. I wish it had been around at the time, to give it to my teenage self. It might have saved a lot of tears.
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

This book is so important

Review to come
Hillary
Mar 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
I managed to grab an arc of this book at the London Book Fair. I can’t wait to read it ☺ ...more
Sasha
Sep 30, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, fiction, own
IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Does every copy have a signature of Holly on the first page? OR DID I RECEIVE A SIGNED FIRST EDITION.
Gabby
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I was super-lucky and managed to win this in a raffle at YALC!

I honestly do not know how to express what I'm feeling without spoiling the book. But alas, I'll try. I've seen so many other reviews of this label the book as 'important' and I 100% agree. This is a must-read. It wonderfully articulates what a toxic, abusive relationship is like and how easy it is for the abuser to manipulate and control someone and make them think that it's love.

I felt so incredibly frustrated, sad, ang
Abigail
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book follows Amelie, a sixteen year old who moves Down South from Sheffield, leaving behind friends, a boyfriend, and sixth form for an unknown town somewhere insignificantly near London. She's musical. She's self-deprecating. She wears granny cardigans and vintage dresses. She likes her parents. What happens (or more specifically who happens) after she joins a new college makes up the rest of the book.

Amelie's first person narrative has a very strong voice, and as frustrating as it is to
Chloe
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly incredible. It told a really brave and honest story, that I’m so so glad is being told in YA! If you wanna cry, want a book that will really make your feel something, pick this book up.
Ellie Beadle
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
i'm not gonna review this cause i work for the publisher and i am the most ethical bitch u ever did meet however i would recommend this book and thats all i'm gonna say hashtag coy
Karen Barber
Not due out until October, when Holly Bourne tweeted regarding a rather well-known book store selling these beautiful green-edged versions - and sending them immediately...THREE WEEKS BEFORE PUBLICATION - I succumbed and ordered. I’m glad I did, but this was a book that nearly broke my heart.
Our narrator, Amelie, is a shy young lady forced to leave her best friends and boyfriend to move from Sheffield to the South (and I honestly couldn’t tell you where). She is, understandably, anxious ab
Gabriela Pop
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We leave behind echoes of our lives everywhere we go, trapping them into the fabric of the world around us."
CW: emotional abuse, rape, ptsd
A very important story about the many ways one can break a girl and the difficulties she then encounters not only putting herself back together, but also coming to terms to the trauma she's been dealing with without realising what she was dealing with. Holly Bourne is a master at her craft and shares this story with undeniable tenderness, care and re
lara
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars*

This book was raw and honest and so so necessary! I really liked the later scenes with the therapist, where we are told about how trauma bonds work and why the love of those who abuse us is so addictive. It is definitely an important read and I think most teenage girls and even older people would benefit from being able to acknowledge the subtle signs of abuse. It's also such an important book for anyone to let them know they aren't alone and to remove any guilt they may put on the
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ashley
Jul 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
500 Days of Summer vibes from description?

Why do I purposely break my own heart?
Georgi
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY HEART HOLLY, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE😭😭
The Places I've Cried In Public has to be the most heartbreaking read by Holly Bourne that I've read so far, and the only two books of hers I haven't gotten around to yet is Soulmates, How Do You Like Me Now and The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting. This book is incredibly important, powerful and a must read. I'd be dying to read this for so long and when this beautiful edition was released in Waterstones early I scrambled to get a copy! I must admit I
Zoë ☆
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as ebook-tbr
Why have I never heard of this before, it sounds incredible!
Ellesha
This book needs to be read by every single teenage girl. It's such an important book and Amelie's story is told beautifully.

This story is told from both the present and the past, alternating between the two rapidly, and I have to say, the contrast in emotion is written absolutely perfectly. Amelie is visiting all the places Reese made her cry and the present is written with such sorrow and darkness, it's almost as if I could see the change in setting and colour in my head. The past is bright, c
Nika
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jesus. This book was hard to read and a page-turner at the same time. An incredibly important read about how an abusive relationship can actually feel like for the victim. Please proceed with caution if that is a trigger for you, but if you’re fine with a heavy topic like this, I‘d highly recommend.

On a lighter note, I‘m not sure why my bookshop categorized this as "children up to 11", and I would like to ask if their manager is okay.
cursebreaker.
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won’t be able to write a proper review because I’m sitting here crying. This book is so powerful, it literally breaks your heart. No one should be made to feel like this, no one should have to suffer from abuse like Amelie did.

Holly Bourne wrote such a phenomenal book that tears at your heartstrings. She is no stranger with writing books about triggering subjects, she writes each one perfectly and this one is definitely one of them.

I highly recommend reading this book. I honestly can’t fault
Den
Sep 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
The title grabbed my attention, the I read Holly Bourne's name on the by line, then I read the blurb:

I am excited and this better be good.

Jes Bailey
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was painfully relatable. I’m so glad it exists for everyone who’s ever been made to feel crazy or wrong for being themselves. It was pretty hard to read, though.
Kirsty Stanley
Ruth Brookes
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told with compassion & empathy this is an tough examination of a toxic relationship, the abuse suffered and called love. Raw, uncomfortable but important. Older teen.
Trisha
Intense and authentic exploration of toxic love with a hopeful and positive conclusion.

Tough read.
Rebecca Choudhury
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have no real words yet for just how good this book is. I need time to think about all the different things this made me feel. One thing I will say though is 5 stars isn't nearly enough!!!
Beth Jones
This book is a reminder of how powerful words can be. A reminder of how they can make you cry, make you smile, and make you feel so much less alone. I’m lucky enough that I have never been through what Amelie went through in this book, but I have been in many similar places to her. I have cried in public. And I know how it feels when love doesn’t make you happy anymore.

Amelie’s story is such a powerful one and is unfortunately true of many women (and men) all over the world. Her rela
Siobhan
I have such conflicting thoughts about this book. I love Holly Bourne, but I just finished How Do You Like Me Now and the beginning section with Tom is similar to the middle section of Reese. So I had a strong sense of deja vu reading this. I also felt like there was a lot of repetition in the beginning with regards to Reese’s future/recent past behaviour (depending on which part of the narrative applies). I know it was trying to build into the plot line but for me it ruined the suspense and see ...more
Jon
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading Holly Bourne's books. I'm a bit of a sucker for emotive YA in general, but Holly stands out on two fronts:
Firstly, the handling of mental health - we get raw emotions without feeling like everyone who feels this way is irrevocably broken. We've all got baggage, and it comes in a wide variety of forms.
Secondly, she's just straight up readable. It's so easy to get lost in the words.
📚
Now, on to the latest book. I was lucky enough to win a persona
Martha
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't even begin to describe how important this book is!

Holly Bourne has never been afraid of covering difficult topics and showing the deep realities of life, and The Places I've Cried In Public is no different.
Amelie's story of her relationship with Reese is so honest and genuine that you will wish that you could find and hold her. But what I loved was that the book so cleverly showed how the effects of the relationship affected so many different parts of her life-not just
Senna.
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
★★★★★

This book is so important. I’ve read it in 1 sitting, sobbing through the last 100 pages because it felt like re-reading my own story. Everything I was never able to put into words was put into words in this book. Holly Bourne, thank you! Thank you for letting girls who are going through this know that they are not alone, and not crazy.

STORY

This book follows Amelie, a 16-year old singer who moves away from home and leaves behind her boyfriend, all of her friends, an
Kiera O'Brien
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of books in which men emotionally manipulate women in the past few months—Three Women, Furious Thing, My Dark Vanessa—and they've all been unvaryingly brilliant. The Places I've Cried in Public is another, and I loved it just as much as the others—although maybe "loved" is the wrong word, as I spent most of the time reading it absolutely fuming, devastated for the protagonist or wanting to climb into the book to hit certain characters over the head.

Holly Bourne has never failed to write a book that I physically cannotmonths—Three
« previous 1 3 next »
Holly started her writing career as a news journalist, where she was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year. She then spent six years working as an editor, a relationship advisor, and general ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity – helping young people with their relationships and mental health.

Inspired by what she saw, she started writing teen fiction, including the best-selling, award-winni
“It’s such a simple torture – the silent treatment. As basic as tripping someone over or pulling their chair out before they sit down. And yet it’s so very effective. When someone has the willpower to pretend you’re not there, it nullifies you. How do you fight against that humiliation?” 1 likes