Start by marking “Aphrodite Made Me Do It” as Want to Read:
Aphrodite Made Me Do It

Aphrodite Made Me Do It

Bestselling and award-winning author Trista Mateer takes an imaginative approach to self-care in this new poetry and prose collection, Aphrodite Made Me Do It. In this empowering retelling, she uses the mythology of the goddess to weave a common thread through the past and present.By the end of this book, Aphrodite make you believe in the possibility of your own healing.
Expected publication: October 1st 2019 by Central Avenue Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Aphrodite Made Me Do It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aphrodite Made Me Do It

Teodora
There are periods in my life when all I need is for poetry books like this to exist.
It is an authentic dialogue between the poet and Goddess Aphrodite on various themes like love and hate.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC! I appreciate it dearly!
Whitney Atkinson
This book felt like peering into someone's art journal it was so gorgeous. I loved the themes in it and I thought it was the perfect mix of melancholy yet helpful. I hope this book is the next milk & honey and i can't wait to buy a physical copy
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
To sing of love
is almost always
to sing of war.

This is easily one of the best poetry collections — maybe the best — I have ever read.

I am older than the poets
and I am older than the pens.
I am older than the stars
and the ocean I crawled out of.

It’s a story of assault, and survival, and having our stories rewritten without our consent. It’s worship and blasphemy, anger and heartache, capped off with tenderness and self-love and learning to cherish yourself no matter how many people in your lif
Kai
"My grief for her was like a circle. I always came around to missing her."

Aphrodite Made Me Do It is a feminist poetry collection about love, loss, insecurity, pain, and empowerment. It's also a retelling of Aphrodite's story. I read the NetGalley proof on my kindle which for some annoying reason always means that it messes up the lines and images, but I liked the design and style anyway. The poetry itself - especially the parts about rewriting Aphrodite's story far away from the male gaze - was
Boston
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars-2019
TW for rape, abuse, sexual assault, death, eating disorders, gore, blood, queerphobia

I don’t know what I expected when I started this collection. I don’t even quite know how to review it.

Never has a poetry collection made me feel things so deep in my soul that it feels like I’ve dived deeper than the ocean floor. This book wrapped me in a blanket, handed me a mug of hot coco and said “You’ll be okay. And here’s why”. It was gentle but it was fierce and it was strong and it was everything I need
Jessica C Writes
This was such an incredible collection of poetry and prose. I could not put it down once I started it. Trista’s words have the ability to make you feel so many emotions at once. This collection was extremely powerful and beautiful.

I know that I will be purchasing a final copy as soon as it comes out, but I am extremely grateful to have been given an advanced copy. I will now be shouting about its greatness to all of my friends- poetry loving or not.

If you yourself are not a big poetry reader,
Veronika
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book felt like I was talking to Aphrodite herself, about her life, loves, strength, and pains. I felt really close to her while reading. And then, I also found myself in this book. My worries and fears, but more importantly, my light, joy, and acceptance.

I really liked the format it was in, changing perspectives of the Goddess and the author, switching between written poems and poems in pictures.

After I finished this, I felt in peace with myself as I haven’t felt in a long time.

I
Kristin Ogarp
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" *I didn't forget how to fight for myself.
I forgot that I could. * "

This was everything that I needed right now. This poetry collection explore a lot of different topics surrounding femininity and more. It dose it in a way were it's not only surface level. No, I felt that.

I really like the way Mateer expressed herself as well as choices of words and writing style. It is written in a pretty way but convey real, hurtful and dark topics which is my favorite combination.

I also really liked the r
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
thank you SO much to my dear friend, kerri (kerrithebookbelle), for getting me a personalized copy of my new favorite poetry book of all time.

so I’m not particularly familiar with what people call ~*emotions*~ but modern poetry always pulls at my dusty heartstrings. this is no different.

the basic theme of the collection is following our narrator who has endured abuse & lost the meaning of love as she finds the goddess aphrodite in her room. aphrodite then (as the feminist, lgbt icon she is
Katherine Stargazing
This is a really nice short collection of prose and poems about self-growth, self-acceptance, and healing.
The author resurrects Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, to tell the story of the wild goddess Aphrodite was before she was forced into obedience, her stories were re-written, and she became the embodiment of beauty and love.

"I wept at what became of my name."

The author uses Aphrodite's tales to show how women were always forced to morph, bury themselves, to become acceptable. She use
Thank you very much to Central Avenue Publishing for providing a copy of this collection of poetry in exchange for an honest review.

"I stand in awe of your survival."

Aphrodite Made Me Do It is such an amazing collection of poetry. Actually, I'd say this is probably my favourite collection of poetry, just behind Sappho's Fragments. I read it in one sitting and then I went back and read it all over again.

What I especially love is that the collection is framed around Aphrodite and the author hav
Alexa
I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is definitely going on my list of favourite poetry collections, and it gets extra points for having a list of trigger warnings at the beginning. I really wish that was normalised for all books. (The list is: body image, sexual assault, rape, eating disorders, queerphobia, emotional abuse, physical abuse, gore, blood, death, fire.)

The world was full of men who called themselves heroes for crossing boundaries, claiming bodie
Bree Hill
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trista Mateer is writing the poems we need and deserve in 2019.

'I'm still trying to figure out who I am alone so that I know who I am in front of other people.'

This collection is full of page upon page, passage after passage of poems to meditate on. Poems that give you the okay to put shame to rest and poems to remind you to forgive yourself.

I highlighted the entire 'abridged list of things to let go of if you want to be happy,' poem.

I haven't read a collection of hers yet that I didn't love and
Anwen Hayward
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed and appreciated this collection. As soon as I realised it was an illustrated collection, I did begin to worry that it would be yet another Milk and Honey ripoff, but I'm glad that I was wrong. It was much, much more than that.

For me, possibly because I'm a Classicist, the poems about Aphrodite were by far the strongest. I would happily read a whole book of poetry from her point of view written by this author. Her voice was so incisi
Anniek
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very thought-provoking, beautifully written and structured poetry collection. I hadn't read anything by the author before, but I have been wanting to read more poetry, and this turned out to be an excellent choice. There's a lot of heavy, emotional content, but a lot of empowering content as well.

There are two "main characters": the poet, writing about her own experience with love and life, and Aphrodite, talking about her own life and giving advice/having a conversation with the poet.
Brandon Forsyth
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trista Mateer is better than almost any of her contemporaries at blending the personal and the political. These are poems that hit you in a few different ways. I didn’t love the art as much here, but Mateer’s words are still exceptionally powerful. I loved the interplay between “the poet” and “Aphrodite” in this book, and it points an exciting way forward for one of today’s best poets.
Sabrina
"I belong to no one. They never wrote that part down."

-----

ARC received from publishers via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

-----

"To sing of love is almost always to sing of war."
Heather
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
"In this empowering retelling, she uses the mythology of the goddess to weave a common thread through the past and present. By the end of this book, Aphrodite make you believe in the possibility of your own healing."

There was some real high points of mythology, teamed with cool / beautiful artwork throughout. Some poems were a sucker punch, only needing a line or two to deliver the impact; others take you on a journey through Aphrodite and a modern lens. But then some moments feel plucked from a
Lindsey
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
That was phenomenal. Some parts didn’t vibe with me just because it’s not something I have personally dealt with. But oh man, so much of this spoke to my soul.
☄ ari
This review is based on an ARC I received from the publishers in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this poetry collection! The prose weaves together mythology and self discovery and empowerment in the most beautiful way -- intertwining Aphrodite's tales and the author's own experiences. My favourite passages were those about how men have forced a certain narrative for women in Greek mythos, and it being rewritten by Aphrodite's words.

"I was given agency only when my actions could make me see
Stephanie
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am fairly new to the poetry anthology world but what I have read I have really been loving. I have saved several of the poems in this collection because I really related to what was said. As far as the themes of women empowerment and self-love and self-care... these are topics that we can never get enough. I am here for each and every one of them because they are important reiterations. This collection did a few things really well. The two voices between Aphrodite and the author are distinct f ...more
Booksiren
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing!! I needed a poetry book like this right now. I loved all the pictures and the vibe of the book. I will definitely look into more of her books.
laurreads
*I grabbed an ARC of this at Bookcon

While this had many good aspects to it, overall it ended up being just okay. I liked the way this was formatted and the writing style was nice, as well. There were some poems that were my favourites and I especially liked the ones that featured the mythical women, like Medusa and Pandora. However, most of the poems, while being beautiful, didn't resonate with me in any way and while I don't usually need to relate to a book to truly like it, I feel like with po
Karli
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 stars!

ARC provided by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

wow WOW

I have never been touched and affected so directly by poetry in my life. This collection was magnificent and it completely took my breath away more than once. The poetry itself was so amazing, but the other unique parts of this book made it goddess-level perfect. The graphics included just added something extra to the story that I was not expecting. Not only were they beautiful, but they were just the
thewoollygeek
Aug 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some nice poems, but on the whole given this is supposed to be about female empowerment I wasn’t keen on a lot of the author/poets views here and found some to be offensive as a feminist. Not for me unfortunately
Littlebookterror
if you were only meant to be beautiful, we wouldn't have put you down here in the dirt.

The pictures get an easy four stars. I loved the mixed media aspect, the bright colours, the gorgeous fonts and the texts itself.

As for the text, I liked the Aphrodite parts more then Poet parts. Hers felt more cohesive and told a more interesting story, while I felt like Poet only reiterated the same thoughts again. Some of the things discussed I found valuable or interesting, others were too short to form
Kinsey
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I still don't know how to love a thing even my mother is ashamed to look at, but sometimes I grow out all my wild just to sit alone with it in the dark."

Told in a series of author introspective and conversations with the Greek goddess Aphrodite, this collection of poetry hits with the force of a sucker-punch. Exploring queer themes, sexual and familial trauma, and self worth, this book leaves you breathless but hopeful for healing.

A special thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a free
Kristy K
Jun 09, 2019 marked it as arc-tbr  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
Hannah
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told in poetry and prose, Aphrodite Made Me Do It is a beautiful collection of work. It's raw and powerful, encompassing the perspectives of both the goddess and the poet. Both sides were equally enthralling.
Among the poetry are relevant pictures that are beautiful and empowering. I highly recommend reading the physical version of this book. I plan on obtaining a copy after release. I feel like a digital format doesn't quite do it justice. It's definitely one of the better poetry collections I'
Jenn (The Book Refuge)
***A digital copy of this book was provided to me by NetGalley and the Publisher. All Opinions are my own.***

I didn't know what this book was goin into it. I just saw the title and the glorious cover. So pretty! I had just read another novel about Aphrodite and I wanted something else to fill the void. I got a bit of a surprise. This is a short book of writings and musings on love and the ways people can pervert love and idolize it in different ways.

We here from Aphrodite on her beginnings and t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Trista Mateer is a writer and poet from outside of Baltimore, who could be living anywhere by the time you read this. She believes in lipstick, late nights, and cheap air fare. Known for her eponymous blog, she is also the author of three collections of poetry. More of her work can be found at: tristamateer.com
“It is simple. You believe in the triumphs of love despite growing up in full view of its defeat because you are brave.” 1 likes
“I wrote my own story
And still said all the wrong things.”
0 likes