Start by marking “Bodega Cat” as Want to Read:
Bodega Cat

Bodega Cat

An ode to New York's iconic feline friend, and the communities they call home.

Bodega is a Spanish word for "grocery store," but they are so much more than that. Bodegas are often a community cornerstone, a welcoming neighborhood haven, and in New York, an emblem of the city's cultural diversity. And who knows these treasured institutions better than the cats who run them?
Published September 24th 2019 by POW!

To ask other readers questions about Bodega Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bodega Cat

Start your review of Bodega Cat
Riana (RianaInTheStacks)
This is an excellent new picture book! Bodega Cat tells all about what a bodega is and shows a day in the life of the cat (Chip) who runs it with his family. The artwork is wonderfully eye-catching, colorful, rich, and comic-like. I appreciate the various layouts of illustrations on each spread, sometimes being full page and sometimes being more like panels that show the quick paced environment of the bodega and all the daily tasks Chip helps to complete.

I also love the focus on family and
Marjorie Ingall
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-4-8
SO CHARMING. Sweet cartoon-y art, hip vibe, effortlessly diverse, captures the energy of the corner bodega during the breakfast rush.

You know who should have this book? ALL GROWNUPS WHO LIVE IN NYC. Then when your college friend's kid is dragged to your apartment on their first visit to NYC, you hand them the book and you are a HERO. Bodegas and their cats are as important to NYC life as Times Square or the Empire State Building. (Honestly, they're way more important, but tourists don't know
Lizzie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A love letter to the city’s finest feline and the friends it chooses to befriend.
Amy Layton
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This is an adorable book, and the second that I saw the cover I knew I had to order it through my library! It's fun, fresh, bold, everything that NYC bodegas are--keeping perfectly in tune with the heart of the book. This picture book celebrates the diversity found in NYC, from customers to bodega-owners to cats! It just goes to show how bodegas are a central part of NYC living, and a part of everyday lives of customers.Bodega Cat knows just how to cuddle up into your heartand your bookshelves!

Tasha
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Explore the life of a New York City bodega cat in this picture book. Chip is the cat who lives in the Matos family’s bodega. He keeps an eye on everything from the breakfast rush, where he knows everyone’s orders, to the stock on the shelves, that he loves to hide and sleep in. He helps with deliveries too. In the evening when Damian comes home, they play superheroes together, dashing through the neighborhood along with the cat from the grocery store across the street. Dinnertime comes with a ...more
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-1st grade
Community Helper: Convenience store/small grocery store
Identity, characters: Dominican American
Identity, author: Asian American

Vibrant comic-style illustrations depict the every day life of a family-owned Bodega, from open to close to a late night dinner. Through the voice of a confident, friendly cat, Chip tells readers all about what his Bodega sells, its customers, and his family. Although the story bounces around a lot between the different facets of the Bodega, Chin
Phoebe
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A love story to corner stores and the people, and animals, who frequent them. Fresh, hip, and kind of a picture book/graphic novel hybrid. The voice makes it sing --"The guy with the beard? I knew him before he was old enough to have a beard . . . " --quintessential New York City. Some of my favorite and some of my least-favorite corner store junk foods from childhood feature, as well the antics that bodega cats get up to, like sleeping in strange places. There's a LOT going on this story, but I ...more
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book that highlights some great cultural elements. It made me feel immersed in this vibrant, busy city world. There's some great characterization going on just in the illustrations alone of all the people who visit the bodega. The story is more like a grand tour of the area and families rather than plot arc, but I still enjoyed feeling included in the day-to-day bodega life.
Christina Carter
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is Louie Chin's first picture book that he both authored and illustrated and I was delighted by every part of it. His art is eye-catching, colorful, and bright and his lines are giving me comic book vibes (which is incredibly appealing to me). It follows Chip's story. Chip is a cat and is the undisputed boss of the bodega. Meet his family and the community he serves and loves in Bodega Cat.

I remember shopping at bodegas in my neighborhood growing up in Long Island. They sold a little bit of
Ciera
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
'Narrated' by a feisty bodega cat who won me over, Bodega Cat is a cute but heartfelt love letter to NYC, its diversity, and bodegas that make the city what it is.
Jo Oehrlein
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, nyc
A very NYC story of a cat whose humans run the bodega where the cat lives.

Love seeing the cat "helping" by pressing cash register buttons, hiding, etc.
Meg
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love this homage to bodegas and the cats who run them!
Jessie
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nyc, food
A day in the life at a bodega for a bodega cat (with illustrations showing us when the cat isn't *quite* a reliable narrator).
Peacegal
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aww! Hip, dynamic, and cute, this ode to a cat who rules the roost at "his" bodega really pops with life and culture.
Kelly
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great picture book. It explains what a bodega is, but goes beyond that. All through the eyes of a cat.
Zan Porter
A cat named Chip that lives in a bodega explains how he spends his days lounging, supervising his family, and playing with the locals.
Caroline
« previous 1 3 next »

• Saturday
  • Sulwe
  • Hair Love
  • The Hike: (Nature Book for Kids, Outdoors-Themed Picture Book for Preschoolers and Kindergarteners)
  • The Proudest Blue