Start by marking “Blood on the Chesapeake” as Want to Read:
Blood on the Chesapeake

Blood on the Chesapeake

Wilshire, Maryland, a quaint shore town on the Chesapeake, promises Darrell Henshaw a new start in life and a second chance at love. That is, until he learns the town hides an ugly secret. A thirty-year-old murder in the high school. And a frightening ghost stalking his new office. Burned by an earlier encounter with the spirit world, Darrell doesn't want to get involved, ...more
Published April 10th 2019 by Wild Rose Press

Start your review of Blood on the Chesapeake
Amber J
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults. Lovers of Thrillers, Suspense, Mystery, Paranormal, Ghosts, with a touch of Romance

"The spirit believes there is something he needs to do. I sense he needs your help to conclude his business. Only then, can he find peace and cross over."
― Randy Overbeck, Blood On The Chesapeake

I won a free copy of this book from a goodread giveaway. I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

Darrell Henshaw is moving to Wilshire, Ma

Darrell Henshaw is new to the Chesapeake Bay area. He needs a new start from the ghosts of his past as well as distance from his former fiancé that apparently thought monogamy was an option, not a requirement of their relationship. Much to his delight, he is hired at the local high school as a history teacher and the football coach. He is settling in just fine until he starts getting the familiar prickling in the hairs on the back of his neck. There are spirits in the school that are not at rest ...more
Shirley
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure how I found Blood on the Chesapeake, but I’m glad I did. This author is new to me and while the genre isn’t outside my normal reads, random mysteries aren’t necessarily my “go-to”. Yet, that’s how I’ve found some of my favorite authors. The title drew me in and after reading the description, I knew I had to give it a try. I’ve always lived within a couple of hours’ driving distance from the Chesapeake Bay, but for the past 20 years, I’ve lived on the Eastern Shore. Finding a good my ...more
Shirley
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Adkins
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Darrell was starting a new life and Wilshire was as good a place as any to get the ball rolling. Though a small town, Wilshire hid a huge secret. Darrell wasn't concerned about the secret, he didn't want to get involved. Something seems to be pulling at Darrell. Telling him to keep his eyes open. Darrell takes the advice and is shocked by what he does see.

I love that this book includes some history. It makes the story more interesting. The characters are very human and lovable. Humor, suspense
Jan
The original crime/ghost hail from the Civil Rights era but the backlash is felt by the current ghost sensitive who is the new teacher at the local high school and already has enough baggage from the last ghost he encountered. This exploration into crimes committed in the 20th century is written with sensitivity and imagination with very realistic characters and a suitably twisty and suspenseful plot. Rather timely and very well done!
I requested and received a free ebook copy from The Wild Rose
Brenda Moser
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a thrilling mystery with a paranormal twist. The author does a fantastic job building the story and had me glued to the pages with all the suspense. He brings both his characters and scenes to life with his detailed and descriptive writing and delivers a realistic read. It's well written,moves fluidly and is a true page turner. Loved and would recommend this book.

Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A complete review will be on Myshelf.com in the near future. This was a fun read involving mystery and the paranormal
Rox Burkey
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Author Randy Overbeck knows how to raise the goosebumps from head to toe on the reader. Darrell Henshaw arrives at the new school set on the Chesapeake Bay to teach and coach the students.
Darrell has a gift that manifested initially at 13; he sees and senses ghosts. Upon touring the school and his new office, Harriet Sinclair reveals that a young black man committed suicide many years before. When he felt the unworldly sensation, thoughts of outrunning his gift vanish as he learns more about th
Reader Views
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Robert Leon Davis for Readers Views (9/19)

“Blood on the Chesapeake” is the first story in The Haunted Shores Mysteries by Randy Overbeck.

Darrell Henshaw, a high school teacher, is newly hired by Wilshire High School. This school is a little different though, as it has the reputation of being a haunted school. It began years ago, when a former student committed suicide; and it's constantly reported that he walks the halls of the school. Henshaw, as soon as his classes began, noticed
Sandra Dailey
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This was the first Randy Overbeck book I’ve read. I was so impressed; I have a second one ready as soon as I finish this review.
The description doesn’t really give you an idea of the extent this story goes to with thrills, chills, and trickery. If you like a truly scary story, (without too much blood, guts, and gore), you’ll find it here.
The main character, Darrell has an odd personality, which I thought the author conveyed well. Events in his life have left him with a few qui
Danielle Green
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Voracious Readers in exchange for an honest review.
Darrell Henshaw has moved from the north to the Chesapeake Bay in search of a new beginning as a coach and history teacher at Wilshire High School - away from his previous supernatural experiences and a bad romance. But he quickly realizes that Wilshire High has its own secrets, secrets that Darrell cannot escape.
In the era of Jim Crow laws, love cannot be colorblind. Brown vs. Board of Educa
Richard Meredith
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A crime of hatred and prejudice, long hidden by the denizens of a small Chesapeake village, is finally revealed by two outsiders—one from out of state, one from another dimension.

In Blood on the Chesapeake, Randy Overbeck transports his reader to a bucolic village on Maryland’s Eastern Shore where a young teacher, Darrell Henshaw, is haunted by visions of a teen murdered thirty years before at the height of the Civil Rights Movement. In his quest to seek the truth and right a tragic wrong, he en
Jan Sikes
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This story grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go until the last. Overbeck has touched on so many different facets in this book from the civil rights unrest in the 60s to a murder covered up as a suicide set in a high school. Throw in a ghost that will not leave the new coach, Darrell Henshaw, alone and you've got a great combination for a story. The new coach arrives in the small town on the Chesapeake Bay running from a disintegrating relationship. He needs a new life - a new start a ...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Mr. Overbeck’s Mystery Blood on the Chesapeake offers far more than an intriguing mystery. It’s an amazingly complex, detailed novel that offers well-developed characters, a stunning backdrop, and an unpredictable story line.

Darrell is a very human, flawed main character, who happens to have a sense of the spirit world. And a need to right a wrong. Part of him might regret involvement…as well as involving his girlfriend. He might want to focus on all that is right in the world, as well as the be
C.J. Zahner
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a fun ride this was. Wonderful character development, twisty storyline, and great writing made this an enjoyable book.

New coach and teacher Darrell Henshaw encounters a school ghost, H for Hank. H is trapped between worlds while seeking justice over the circumstances of his death thirty years prior. Darrell becomes enamored with the spirit’s sightings and the school’s history. He isn’t quite sure who in the town or administration to trust, but he motors on, researching H’s death. He finds
FMSWarrior
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
History teacher and sports coach Darrell Henshaw has moved to the small town of Wilshire, Maryland to get away from his past. While he manages to leave his broken heart behind, his past experience with a ghost seems to have followed him when he sees a ghost in his new office. When the ghost won’t stop trying to get Darrell’s help, the coach tries to understand what the spirit needs from him.

But how far is Darrell willing to go to help the Wilshire ghost? With bodies dropping like flies the close
Rick Wendelken
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Teacher/Coach looking for a new life; a tormented ghost who won’t let him have it!

Dr. Randy Overbeck’s Blood on the Chesapeake is a top-notch mystery novel and ghost story from start to finish. As I completed one chapter, my fingers reached for the next! Characters are well-developed and believable, and Randy masterfully weaves lead character Darrell Henshaw’s new and blossoming love interest together with thrilling episodes from the “other-world” (wouldn’t you break into a cold sweat if your
Thomas Gray
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adults and teenagers.
Recommended to Thomas by: Dr. Overbeck is a HS classmate.
I absolutely loved this book. It grabbed me right at the start and held on for more than 400 pages. I read the last 250 pages in one day. I could not put the book down.

It is a thrilling unraveling of a murder mystery on the Eastern Shore of Maryland along the Chesapeake Bay. There are enough Maryland references (the Bay Bridge, Maryland She Crab soup to name two) to take the reader to the area when the story takes place.

If you don't believe in ghosts, you might start believing after you read th
Kath Mardle
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book via voracious readers in exchange for a frank review. A tale about a newly appointment high school teacher who is seeing the ghost of a former pupil alleged to have committed suicide. As the story evolves it turns into a dark tale of past corruption, racism and murder putting the main protagonist and his lady friend in danger from a group of men who will stop at nothing to hide what they did in the past and stop the truth from emerging. Even if it mea ...more
Katy
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Darell has a chance to start over when he takes a coaching position at a small town located on the Chesapeake Bay. He also finding a second love. But he has a problem, one that haunted him before he came to his new town and job. Ghosts appear to him, and they will not leave until he solves their murder.

He loves his job, but he should have known something was askew when he saw the ghost appear on the widow's walk outside his office when he was taking the campus tour, even before he was offered th
Patricia
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! Mystery is not a genre I typically pick up/read but I received a copy of this book from the author and was excited to read it.
I grew up on the Chesapeake and in Michigan, both places mentioned on this book.
The plot moved quickly and I really enjoyed the characters, even the ghost character.
I appreciated the history and the time put into describing the area/time period.
Everything was done really well. I'm going to venture out and read more mystery books now and definit
Betty Reynolds
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The ghost of a young man who was killed by racially arrogant men in 1964 reaches out to the new teacher in Wilshire, Maryland Will this evil continue to kill the innocent to remain covered or will the truth finally be revealed?
I enjoyed this edge-of-your-seat book. It is both hopeful and frightening to look back to the 1960s and see some of the changes we have made. But the evil is still there: the ugly prejudice and hatred. We have much to overcome!

I received a free copy of this book via Booksp
Cecilia  Davison
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*received free for review*

I enjoyed reading Blood on the Chesapeake. It is a wonderful story that I couldn’t put it down. The author has created a setting, plot and characters with colorful and defining descriptive language. It permits the reader to escape their day to day reality into an exciting and challenging set of events that progress with unexpected twists, culminating in a satisfying conclusion.
Janet Thomson
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book complements of Voracious Readers and am so glad I did.
Unlike other books of this genre it involves the history of the slave trade and lingering racist attitudes in the south far into the 1960’s.
A teacher and coach moves to Wiltshire to escape his past only to find the hauntings of his school lead him into all kinds of trouble.
An excellent, well written story. I would definitely recommend this book. It’s excellent!
Cassandra Struble
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, netgalley, abuse
This book grabbed me from the beginning. It is about a ghost in a school that is appearing to the new teacher and coach. The ghost is asking for help to get justice. It dives in to the early 60s when a black student hanged himself to committ suicide...or so they say. The twist kept going right up to the end. I kept thinking I knew how it was turning out, but boy was I wrong! I highly recommend this book.
Annarella
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good mystery with a paranormal side. It's well written, engrossing and entertaining.
I liked the characters, the plot and the setting. The mystery kept me guessing.
I want to read other books in this series.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Wendy
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romance and Ghosts from a Guy’s POV

Engaging and mysterious with just enough creep factor to set your spine tingling but not enough to keep you up at night. Really fun and compelling story in a neat setting. Our hero, Darrell is quirky and interesting. A guys guy but sensitive and flawed. Lots of fun!
Brandee Armstrong Shelton
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is a great read!! The mystery draws you in and as the story progresses, you find that you cannot put the book down! This book is so well written, you feel like you are in the story! If you like mystery and suspense, then this book is for you!
Robert Heidt
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling, hair-raising novel that keeps you in suspense until the last page. The author excels in developing both his characters and the plot. A must read for a well written, entertains mystery. Might want to keep the lights on!

• Saint Harry
  • This Magnificent Dappled Sea
  • Your Blue Is Not My Blue: A Missing Person Memoir
  • The Paris Hours
  • Ghostly Interference (The White Rune Series)
  • The Road to Saratin
  • Trails and Trials (Fauna Park Tales #4)
  • Lean on Me (Family Is Forever, #1)
  • The Silent Daughter
  • Treacherous Love
  • The Consequence of Loyalty (The Columbus Archives #1)
  • Mountain Blaze
  • Lost and Found: Family Ties
  • Feeders: Madeson Reid, PI: Paranormal Short Story.
  • Dolly Parton, Songteller: My Life in Lyrics
  • The Yak Guy Project
  • Aged for Murder (A Tuscan Vineyard Cozy Mystery #1)
BIO
Dr. Randy Overbeck is a veteran educator who has served children for more than three decades as a teacher and school leader, winning national recognition and awards for his work. Over that time, he has performed many of the roles depicted in his writing, with responsibilities ranging from coach and yearbook advisor to principal and superintendent. An accomplished writer, he has been published i