Start by marking “Left to Die” as Want to Read:
Left to Die

Left to Die

(Alvarez & Pescoli #1)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Lisa Jackson comes the chilling, riveting novel that first introduced Detectives Selena Alvarez and Regan Pescoli, hunting for a serial killer who is both savior and executioner...

In the lonely woods around Grizzly Falls, Montana, the first body is discovered, stripped naked and tied to a tree. Alvarez and Pescoli have been hoping
Published October 29th 2019 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2008)

Start your review of Left to Die
Ayla
Aug 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. This book was so incredibly dumb, I couldn't believe I actually spent $5 for it. It dragged on and on. Although the book is about a serial killer, the book doesn't really probe into the killer's mind or really explore his motives. The reader is left clueless (of course, you are encouraged to buy another book to find out what the heck is really going on).
All in all, I really did NOT like this book. It seemed like one long prologue.
✨Susan✨
This was my first Lisa Jackson book and I really enjoyed it. It was fast moving, had a good plot and I connected with the characters. What I found most frightening is that a nut job, serial killer is walking among the public and no one is the wiser. There are actually two different stories going on surrounding the brutal killings and parts of the story are told from inside the mind of the killer. A little romance mixed with suspense is always fun and in this case dangerous. At the end of the ...more
Glen
A serial killer in Montana is operating with a Misery type motif. He lures women to Montana, engineers a car accident, heals them up, then kills them. Seems like an awful lot of work to me.

A mismatched pair of female detectives try to hunt him down. I thought the detectives were boring.

You might like this more than I did.
Janet
Aug 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Okay, but not too exciting. I was annoyed because it didn't solve all the mysteries. It left a major part to be solved in the next book. I don't like books like that. Fortunately, the book was not that gripping, so I don't mind if I don't find out the answer.
Tammy
Aug 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lisa Jackson Fans..Maybe
I'm normally a pretty big fan of Lisa Jackson but I have to say her last two books,this one and Lost Souls did not thrill me. The idea for this book is great but it really goes nowhere. Yes one mystery is solved but it leaves the main story of the book unresolved,supposedly to be finished in Chosen To Die which doesn't come out for a year. Basically this book is nothing more than an almost 500 page build up to that book. Overall it was ok but definately not one of her best.
Dindy
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Okay, this book ticked me off. I did not appreciate having it end on a cliff hanger. I do not have the next book in my possession and will have to look for it. I strongly resent such manipulation by the author and was tempted to rate the book lower because of it.

But I did like it, for the most part, till I realized that it was not going to be resolved until the sequel. Although once I reached the so-called end, I found that the story involving Jillian Rivers was maybe just a little too hard to
Carey
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amidst an unusually bad Montana winter, a serial killer is at work near the town of Grizzly Falls. The killer "rescues" his female victims when their cars careen off of a mountain road. Most of them don't realize that their accident was caused by the killer shooting their tires out. He then carries them off to a remote cabin in the mountains and wins their trust by tending to their wounds and lulling them into trusting him. Weeks later he will leave each victim tied, naked, to a tree, to die ...more
Gina
Chilling and Terrifiying!

A serial killer is in Grizzly Falls, Montana, shooting the tires of vehicles containing one lone occupant, a woman, his latest victim. He brings them to his hide-out, lets them recuperate somewhat, makes them dependant on him to the point of wanting him. He takes them out, completely naked in the middle of winter, ties them to trees and leaves them there to die of exposure, leaving behind a star carved into the trees above their heads and a cryptic note using the
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Brande
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good. Kind of slow in the middle and you have to read the next book to figure out who done it. That pissed me off.
But the good parts were really good. I'm not reading the next one to find out the ending. :/
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
This was a pretty good start to a series. The formula this author used still plays on. A redhead, family tangles, divorce, half siblings, reclaim pets that come with property, make victims not sexually abused but killers who get off nonetheless. No overt religious themes, but close enough.

SPOILERS AHEAD

The book starts off way too slow. So many POVs and the narrator doesnt help. Half the time I was surprised to realize we shifted POV as little to no voice inflection is used to differentiate
Obsidian
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please note that I gave this book 3.5 stars but rounded it up to 4 stars on Goodreads.

So here's the thing. When one is on a boat for 9 days and realize that the Kindle/Nook gods have forsaken you and you realize that your boat has a library (oh yeah baby) you grab a book that looks interesting. I finished and started this book all on the same day and really enjoyed it, though I had some problems with having a third lead (really not necessary and also confusing) the pacing, and also with the
Linda Lou McCall
What could have made this a 4 or 5-star listening experience for you?
If I hadn't wasted almost 15 hours for NO conclusion!

What could Lisa Jackson have done to make this a more enjoyable book for you?
She could have wrapped this plot line up in THIS book, not force readers to waste another 15 hours listening to the next book in this series "Chosen To Die". By hour 5, I "Wanted To Die"!!!

How could the performance have been better?
Other listeners seemed to hate narrator Alan Nebelthau's fast pace.
Alex is The Romance Fox
We are introduced to a pair of female detectives, Selena Alvarez with some dark secrets and Regan Pescoli, a divorced mother of two teenagers who give her endless grief.
Set in the cold winter weather of the desolate mountains of Montana, a serial killer is setting up car accidents for women driving in secluded roads and leaving them to die tied up to trees.
Jillian Rivers narrowly manages to escape the killer when she is rescued by Zane McGregor, a mysterious loner and she feels a growing
Kristīne Līcis
The "when" and "where" I read the book is the biggest part of the 3 stars. We had just spent a week in Montana and Wyoming, muscles pleasantly sore from hiking, cameras full with decent photos of sunrises over mountains and geysers of Yellowstone. I was on the Acela Express, travelling First Class from Boston to New York, chilled wine and all. "Left To Die" was a random paperback I had grabbed in the train station for the 3-hour trip.

I have certainly read worse, and as a thriller this one is
Wendy Hines
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The woman's body is found lashed to a tree, naked, and frozen to death. The calling card for this scene is the same, yet different as the others. The letters carved into the tree above the victim are the same as the others but with the addition of this victims initials added. The star is still carved into the cold bark, but at a slightly different location. Her wrecked car has also been discovered, the tire shot out and all identifying items removed from the vehicle. The killer has struck again. ...more
Diane
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book - the downfall - it's a cliff hanger!!!

Very large cast of characters and at first seemed overwhelming, but Ms. Jackson knows how to make a story flow.

Some red herrings cast in your way and I was a bit confused until the story really began to unfold. So how many serial killers are there lurking in the mountains? You'll have to read the book and figure it out for yourself. :)

Some romance with a bit of apprehension, all-in-all a good book and introduction for me to Lisa
Joyce Peak
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has the captivating ability to send shivers up your spine and on your head. Suspense that could be real. Terror, horror, death and dying. mystery. Can you imagine careening off a highway after having a bullet tearing through a tire. being gravely hurt but not dying. A nice
stranger comes to the rescue and takes care of you until your body improves. Is this a serial killer?
Women have been found naked and hanging from trees in blizzard conditions in Montana. A great read.
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Serial killer
Kidnaps women, leaves to freeze
Female cops seek him

Major cliffhanger
Excellent, complicated
But end pissed me off

Would have given it 5 stars, except for the damn cliffie. I hate cliffhanger endings in books!
Sheila
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a powerful book. This was my first Lisa Jackson book but definitely won't be the last. The book ended kind of abruptly though leaving me with a lot of questions.
Katie
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so for the first book in a series - this is a good start. It doesn't really pry into the killer's mind or motives and it's not obvious who is committing the crime. I like how it delves into two different storylines and combines them at the end. That's a nice touch.
However, I dislike that it ends just like that. A cliff hanger. It was pretty annoying to have it cut off just like that.
The characters were interesting and all. The descriptions pretty good.
BUT. I found a mistake in the book
Jodi
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2017-read, rt2010
I was not expecting to like this book considering how I felt about the last two Jackson books that I listened to. However, I loved this one. This is the first of a series featuring Detectives Selena Alvarez and Regan Pescoli. It's a thriller and we are following a serial killer. All we know is he likes to drag naked women to trees and leave them to die from the cold. (It's winter in Montana.) There is no sexual assault and this book is not particularly violent. (Which is great!) But we have two ...more
Elizabeth
This one took a good bit to get into. Mostly because you are plopped down in the middle of a bunch of characters' lives. Maybe I wasn't paying adequate attention because I kept asking myself, "Wait. Who's this?" (New book. Who dis?????)

But once I got a better handle on the characters and who's who, I got into it more.

While some plotlines are wrapped up, not all of them are. So consider yourself warned.

I would rank 3 1/2 stars if we had the option. I felt better rounding up than down in this
Jennifer Cuddon
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will mentally torture just as any other mystery thriller has ever done.

A small town is terrorized by the Star-Cross Killer. He shoots the tires out in their vehicle, rescues them, gets them better again, and then ties them to tree in the middle of the woods naked. He carves a star and puts a note with each victim. There's just one thing, the victims are not sexually assaulted and they are not beaten. The killer doesn't even leave so much as a single foot or fingerprint behind.

While
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
2.5 stars.
I wanted to try this writer.
The romance was okay.
The women were okay.
The teenagers needed to be bitch-slapped.
The bad guy was a classic evil.
I couldnt put my finger on it but this is not my thing.
I really didnt like the ending. It wasnt satisfying.
Jacqui
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book dragged a bit but definitely picked up. I was invested and couldnt wait to find out who the serial killer was. Unfortunately, you do not get that answer. Its possibly in the next book of this series. After 408 pages I expect to know who the killer is. ...more
Patricia
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Roller Coaster of a Ride, Keeps you on the Edge of your SEAT!!! Onto the 2nd Series, Chosen to Die!!!
Sylvia
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! Great story!! Can't wait to read the next book in the series!! Love this author's books!!
Kim Manley
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the edge of my chair with this one - lots of twists!
Aparna
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stars: 3 / 5
Recommendation: Bone-chilling thriller with the touches of romance, lust and twisted minds - a perfect medley to enjoy the plot despite the shivers it leaves in the reader's spine.

Left To Die is the first book in the To Die Series by Lisa Jackson, published in January of 2008. Although there are several prominent characters, the primary plot mainly revolves around Jillian White Pescoli who is rescued from a car wreck by Zane MacGregor while they find their way out of their situation

• When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Bad Things
  • Say Goodbye (Quincy & Rainie, #6)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake, #2)
  • Outfox
  • Hush
  • Ashes to Ashes (Kovac and Liska, #1)
  • The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie, #1)
  • Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)
  • Find Her Alive (Detective Josie Quinn #8)
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2; John Mancini #4)
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • Trust No One
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Dont Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jacksons books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a

Alvarez & Pescoli (8 books)
  • Chosen To Die (Alvarez & Pescoli, #2)
  • Born To Die (Alvarez & Pescoli, #3)
  • Afraid To Die (Alvarez & Pescoli, #4)
  • Ready to Die (To Die, #5)
  • Deserves To Die (Alvarez & Pescoli, #6)
  • Expecting to Die (To Die, #7)
  • Willing to Die (Alvarez & Pescoli, #8)