Start by marking “The Restless Sea (The Morland Dynasty, #27)” as Want to Read:
The Restless Sea (The Morland Dynasty, #27)

The Restless Sea (Morland Dynasty #27)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
1912 - The Titanic; George V

England still conducts herself with Edwardian confidence; but beneath the surface cracks are breaking society apart. Socialism, strikes and riots, social unrest, and then the disasters of the Titanic and Captain Scott shake the ordered world. Among the Morlands, Jessie and Violet struggle to adapt to the demands of married life; Jack, unlucky in
Published November 1st 2005 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Restless Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Restless Sea

heidi
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
this book was loaded with chaotic energy! CHANGE is in the air!!!!

at the precipice of wwi. women (some) desperately fighting for equality. the birth of humans with wings! the surreal horror of the sinking of the unsinkable titanic. the highest of highs--the lowest of lows.

[heavy on the suffrage movement--informative, but too much for my liking since it involved frequent descriptions of government/political proceedings. churchill sure sounds like an ass.]
Nikki
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Morland family deals with the voyage of the Titanic, the British suffragette movement, the beginning of aeronautics, and the run-up to WWI, as well as more personal concerns. Although these books are about 400 pages, I seem to be able to read them almost at a sitting, and to be almost glued to the chair until I finish. Ms. Harrod-Eagles combines a lot of historical information and complicated family trees with a narrative that just makes you want to keep reading. I'll have a hard time not mo ...more
Susan
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Only undertake this if you want a lifetime project. This title is the 27th(!) in the series that goes back to Charles I and the English Civil War and according to the book jacket intends to go forward to the present day. It's a family saga, the Morland Dynasty. The books are very thick for a good reason: she tells you everything about daily life and politics and current events in the period - which is exactly what I want from historical fiction. This particular volume takes place in 1912 so you ...more
Maureen
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book for its mix of (familiar and unfamiliar) historical events and easy reading family saga. I am keen to read the other books in the series now that I am familiar with some of the characters. I had to use the Family Trees at the beginning of the book quite often as this was the first of this series I had read. There's a lot of intermarriage between cousins and the characters are seemingly involved in every newsworthy event of 1912/1913!
Frances
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
The description of the building and sinking of the Titanic was very moving and interesting. But, I had a hard time with this book because I didn't like any of the characters. The men are either egocentric or they are domineering. There are very few men in her books that are at all admirable. The suffragist movement was much more violent than I had any idea of and the development of air travel was excruciatingly detailed. But, I will keep reading them as long as she keeps writing them.
Edith Clayton
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know when I was last as abosorbed in a book as I was with this one during the Titanic section! (Might have partly been because the movie was on HBO when I was reading this. Every time hubby turned on the TV, there it was, sinking again.)
Sam Still Reading
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical fiction lovers
Another action packed chapter of the Morland family. This book looked at the Titanic sinking- an excellent piece of writing as well as votes for women and aviation. This is a brilliant series where you just happen to learn history along the way!
Elizabeth Cohoe
Sep 04, 2015
Caitlin
Jun 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Shipbuilder (The Time Travel Journals, #1)
  • The Duke's Desire
  • Marry Me: With Scandals Bride And A Rogue's Proposal
  • A Lady's Point of View (Harlequin Regency Romance Series 2, #14)
  • Lady Allerton's Wager
  • Lord Roworth's Reward (Rothschild Trilogy, #2)
  • Shall We Dance?
  • Lady Pamela
  • The Lark's Lament (Fools' Guild, #6)
  • Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens
  • The Untamed Heiress
  • The Sheikh's Wayward Wife (Sheikh Tycoons, #2)
  • Rogue's Salute (Masters at Arms, #3)
  • Murder on the Mauretania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #2)
  • Mistress by Mistake
  • Jewel of My Heart
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on 13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, star
More about Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

Morland Dynasty (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • The Founding (The Morland Dynasty, #1)
  • The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2)
  • The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3)
  • The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4)
  • The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5)
  • The Long Shadow (The Morland Dynasty, #6)
  • The Chevalier (The Morland Dynasty, #7)
  • The Maiden (The Morland Dynasty, #8)
  • The Flood-Tide (Morland Dynasty, #9)
  • The Tangled Thread (Morland Dynasty, #10)