Start by marking “How to Catch a Dragon” as Want to Read:
How to Catch a Dragon

How to Catch a Dragon

Do you have what it takes to catch a dragon?

The How to Catch kids are off again, this time trying to catch a dragon as they chase him through Chinese New Year celebrations! Set in China during the Spring Festival, otherwise known as Chinese New Year, the wily dragon will have to avoid trap after trap as the kids run through paper lanterns, red envelopes, fireworks, and
Published November 5th 2019 by Sourcebooks Wonderland

To ask other readers questions about How to Catch a Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Catch a Dragon

Start your review of How to Catch a Dragon
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
What a cute little story of Chinese New Year traditions, with a fun twist of this group of kiddos setting traps to try to catch a dragon. The art is bright and colorful, and there's a good cadence to the words that would work fabulously for a storytime session.

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
La Coccinelle
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, netgalley, arc
There's something about these books that makes it really hard for me to like them (even though I really want to). I think it's mainly the meter of the rhyming text. It just doesn't work. And I think I know why:

But this New Year, we're on the watch
to pick up any trail.
Oh wait--is that...? I thought I saw...
It is! A real red DRAGON'S TAIL!

That last line has two syllables too many. And for what? It's a picture book. We can see the red tail. The words "real" and "red" could've been left out, and the
Steff Pasciuti
I really don't know how to feel aboutHow to Catch a Dragonby Adam Wallace and illustrated by Andy Elkerton.On the one hand, I really wanted to enjoy the story, but on the other it's just kind of missing the mark. And I get that perhaps not all children's books have to make sense, but there are certain things about this book that give me pause. And it all comes down to Chinese culture and diversity.

I'm not understanding why this Chinese New Year seems to be set in the past, a pre-technology kind
Teresa Grabs
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent addition to the How to Catch collection of tales. In this one, the story centers on kids trying to catch the Chinese New Year's dragon and learning that family and friends stick with one another through thick and thin. Wonderful illustrations and translated version in the back of the book. Perfect for any younger middle grade reader.

Thank you NetGalley and Sourcebooks Jaberwocky for the opportunity to read an advance reader copy.
This is a very odd book, that looks like it was trying to be all things to all people. It appears to take place in a Chinese area, perhaps even China, yet, there are all sorts of ethnicities present. It also seems to be a village.

Each page has a word in English that is highlighted, and in the illsutration on the page, the corresponding Chinese character is drawn.

But there is nowhere in the book explaining that, or giving any background on the calligraphy of the first place

The story is in
Amber Webb
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and can't wait to use it my classroom. When a family begins to celebrate the New Year they need to get everything in order, but they are missing the lucky dragon. I enjoyed the hints at other dragon books, the inclusion of many different colored characters and the fun way to teach children about Chinese New Year.
Beth ~~Just One More Chapter I Swear~~
My beautiful, precocious, literature loving daughter and I read this together and are reviewing it in 2 parts. The first review will be my (not-so-tiny) munchkin's perspective and then I will chime in with my 2 cents.

Miss A: 9 years old
"I thought the book was cool because the pictures were bright and cheerful. I especially liked the dragon. I think the rhyming made the story more fun. I was a bit confused with the Mandarin characters that were randomly given because there weren't any
Becky B
A little boy desperately wants to catch a dragon to guarantee health and good fortune for the New Year. He tries several different things to trap the dragon with his friends, but this dragon is tricky. Will he ever catch it?

This book introduces a couple Chinese New Year traditions while the kids trying to catch a dragon while getting ready for the holiday. I wouldn’t necessarily pick this as the only Chinese New Year picture book to read as I think some others summarize the main traditional
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
I keep trying these books and I'm always so disappointed. The way the book is written, the words don't flow the way they should and I continually have to stop and kind of re-read the words in my head and then find some sort of flow so that it fits better.

The illustrations are great and it's fun to look at. This one though, was set in what seems like China, and yet the ethnicity of the characters seem varied. It's great to do that in a book set in America, but if this was meant to teach us a bit
Jennifer Fischer
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
How to Catch a Dragon opens with a boy, his mother, and his grandmother preparing for Chinese New Year. The boy overhears his mother saying that a dragon would bring health and fortune, so he sets out with a group of friends to capture a dragon. Despite a series of cleverly planned traps, the children never manage to catch the dragon they were hunting. The boy returns home with a small dragon that his mother appreciates. The brightly colored illustrations in this book are interesting and ...more
KidsBookPick
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
How to Catch a Dragon is a sweet book about traditions that take place during Chinese New Year. Readers follow a young boy as he travels through the city streets attempting to catch a dragon while celebrating the holiday.

I enjoyed this book because it exposes readers to a different culture, but still remains light and child-centric. The rhythm and rhyme are easy to read and do not feel unnatural, which is important to me when reading a book that rhymes. The illustrations are bright, and add to
Suzanne
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very cute picture book. With a focus on the Chinese New Year it gives background information to young children about how other cultures celebrate a holiday. The art work really sells this one - the reader can follow the dragon on each page. I was given an advance copy through NetGalley in a document form and did have some issues viewing the text but the overall effect of the story was very enjoyable, I know that there is a Mandarin translation in the back of the book but had a hard time ...more
Ellon
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, arc
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.

This was my first introduction to the How to Catch kids and I am finding myself wanting to read more for this series. This is a very cute rhyming book about Chinese New Year. The kids are trying to catch a dragon for the celebration. As they try different traps, the reader gets to see some of the Chinese New Year traditions. I personally love the reference to Dragons Love Tacos when the main character mentions using rice to
Nicole| Booklover.zzz | Zamudio-Roman
4.5 Stars
Adam Wallace’s colorful children book, How to Catch a Dragon, easily explains the traditions of the Chinese New Years to anyone unfamiliar with the culture. The rhymes were fun, flowed well, and would have been easily understood by younger children. The artwork was cute and matched each stanza. My only complaint is that even the ending isn’t what I expected (which I loved) the resolution is a bit rushed.
Lauren Paletta
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute story from the famous author of the "How to catch" series , but this has to be my favorite; its got a DRAGON!! The story incorporates Chinese New Year celebrations, customs and even the language! I really enjoyed the educational aspect of the Chinese customs and the highlighted words in English and the corresponding Chinese characters on select items throughout the story. Recommended!
#Howtocatchadragon #Netgalley
Leah Horton
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
How to Catch a Dragon is a story about s young boy and his friends trying to catch a dragon for good fortune. He is spending time with his mother and grandmother when he takes off on an adventure.

I liked the story. It was cute and fun to read. The illustrations were colourful and great the way the dragon always evaded them, always just out of frame.

It was pretty interesting how there were translations at the end of the book. Learning new languages is always fun.
Shauna Roth
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a YES for my school library. I work in a Mandarin/English bilingual program. This book hits all the boxes. It tells all the traditions of celebrating Chinese New Year’s as well has the Mandarin characters and pinyin translations of the story in the back. It would be great to have for both programs. The illustrations are very colourful and well done. A resounding Yes. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC.
Andrea Wright
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Hhmmm, I wanted to like this book more than I did. I was a bit confused by all the nationalities of kids in town as it made it hard to figure out where this story was suppose to be taking place. I was also a bit confused by the ending saying they had not caught the dragon, when they obviously had. The translations in the back are great fun, but I wish they said what the languages are. Artwork is cute.
Jennifer Stanley
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the fun this story weaves into the children trying to catch a dragon. The simplicity of the pictures are not overwhelming. They provide the right amount of art and support to what is being read in the text. In addition, the artwork is very colorful, and works well with the Chinese culture that the story is representing.

This would be a very nice addition to any storytime selection of books, and most definitely to a library's collection.
Cat
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the Lunar New Year and am always on the look out for new titles to round out and update my collection. This a nice one! It''s bilingual, has a fun story line and the illustrations are cute! It's short enough for a story time and would go well with a dragon craft! Kids will enjoy it, I'm sure!

I received a Kindle arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Viviane Elbee
This Chinese New Year story, with rhymes, was written by an Australian man and illustrated by a European. It reminds me of a how to catch a unicorn book by the same author we read previously, with kids setting traps to try and catch the creature.

I am not including it on my diversity shelf, though there is a nod to diversity and some mandarin words thrown in.
Amber
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and so did my nephews. I loved the poetry and the illustrations. This would be a great addition to a Pre K-K class in Jan and February. I also love that you can see the context written in Chinese, This is a good book for diversity. It was hard to read as a digital book, but would be great in hardcover or paperback.
Kimberly Souza
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The "How to catch" series is a really fun one. I've read all of the titles in the series, and have enjoyed them all. They have the same theme, and vibrant illustrations that kids will spend time looking at. These books are great for a quick, and entertaining bedtime story. Coming up with elaborate ways to capture something is an idea that all kids will think about and be interested in.
Melissa
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the “How to Catch” series, and I think this one is done exceptionally well! The rhyming and illustrations are so cute, but there’s the added bonus of the multiple languages to read in. I think all students, especially my Chinese students, will love this!
Haley
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this to some of our smaller cub scouts ages 5-8 along with their younger siblings and they all loved it! I exaggerated some of the words with my voice and everyone was wanting more! It was so fun and the story was really cute!
Engel Dreizehn
ARC COPY...in the great tradition of how to books...hehe how do you catch a dragon. I did like all the technique used in the various attempts do pay homage and contain traditional accuracy of real Chinese new years + the lucky red UNSEEN dragon looks/functions like traditional eastern dragons.
Brenda
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute book! I loved the illustrations and look forward to adding it to our collection. I liked how it has the Chinese characters with the English words. Great addition for Chinese New Year.
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog

• Be Kind
  • Unicorn Training
  • The Perfect Birthday Recipe
  • Don't Drink the Pink
  • The Boy Who Invented the Popsicle: The Cool Science Behind Frank Epperson's Famous Frozen Treat
  • The Day Santa Stopped Believing in Harold
  • The Bravest Knight Who Ever Lived
  • Pacho Nacho
Adam Wallace is a Three time New York Times Bestselling author and cartoonist who loves writing and drawing ... this is lucky ... because he's an author and cartoonist who writes and draws!
Adam's passion is to bring excitement and energy and humour and joy to children (of all ages!) through his books and videos.
He spends his non-writing time thinking about writing and going to as many live music