Start by marking “Women: The National Geographic Image Collection” as Want to Read:
Women: The National Geographic Image Collection

Women: The National Geographic Image Collection

This powerful photography collection, drawn from the celebrated National Geographic archive, reveals the lives of women from around the globe, accompanied by revelatory new interviews and portraits of contemporary trailblazers including Oprah Winfrey, Jane Goodall, and Christiane Amanpour.

#MeToo. #GirlBoss. Time's Up. From Silicon Valley to politics and beyond, women are r
Published October 15th 2019 by National Geographic Society

To ask other readers questions about Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women

Start your review of Women: The National Geographic Image Collection
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so grateful to be part of this tour and to share Women with you. I would have bought this book for myself, and I will be buying it as gifts for all the women in my family and close friends. It is that good. It is so special, memorable, and inspiring, and my adjectives don’t express well enough all the feelings this book induces.

The photographs are as stunning as you expect from National Geographic. There are also interviews that will take your breath away. Varied cultures are represented, i
Jaclyn (sixminutesforme)
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a visual history fan, this was right in my wheelhouse. It’s a collection of photographs of women throughout the history of the National Geographic photo archive, accompanied by interviews with a number of public figures (including Oprah, Christiane Amanpour, Chimimanda Ngozi Adiche, Roxane Gay, and more!). The questions posed to each asked them about their greatest strengths, their identification with feminism, and what they saw the greatest challenges facing society at present - it made for ...more
Crystal Zavala
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tlcbooktours
National Geographic was founded in 1888 by all men. Today, Susan Goldberg, is the current and first woman Editor In Chief for the National Geographic and writes the introduction of Women. Ms. Goldberg writes "Though this book draws on an archive, it is not just history. Here, we explore the challenges and triumphs women may find in the future, as well as those they've experienced over time."

Women has six chapters titled: Joy, Beauty, Love, Wisdom, Strength, and Hope. Women is a compilation of im
Sassy Katt
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Very inspiring!
Diane
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
National Geographic continues its wonderful collection of gorgeous coffee table books this season with the stunning Women- the National Geographic Image Collection.

The book is divided into six chapters- Joy, Beauty, Love, Wisdom, Strength and Hope. Each section contains full page photos of women from all over the world, of all ages and cultures. The placement of the photos is thoughtful, like the photo of a glorious smiling Dolly Parton holding a banjo (taken by Jodi Cobb in 1978) facing a phot
Nancy Kennedy
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought this would be a great book for demonstrating how women have arrived at today -- their moment in history -- but I don't get that sense at all. The majority of the photos are posed and recent, and have no historical import that I can discern. In the introduction, there is one photo from the March 3, 1913 suffrage march in Washington, DC. Now those are the kind of photos I wanted more of! Women fighting for their rights, for their voices to be heard.

I have nothing against all these photo
Sara
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing collection of photos from the National Geographic archives over the life of the magazine,and interviews of 30-some women including scientists, world leaders, lawyers, organizers, sports figures etc, but no actresses or other celebrities, which pleased me. All were asked the same questions about hurdles they had faced and overcome, their advice to young women today, their favorite current and historic figures and if they considered themselves to be a feminist----all but Jane Go ...more
Megsbookclub
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Today I’m thrilled to feature this beautiful National Geographic book, Women! You guys it’s gorgeous. The pictures inside are of women from all over the world. There are so many smiles in this book it will bring one to your face. If you are looking for presents for the holidays, I would highly recommend this one for that young women in your life that is eager to get her adventurous life started or that women that wants to reflect on a life well lived!
The publisher describes this one as a “power
Sara Strand
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely stunning collection of images complete with stories and facts from every walk of life. While it does include famous names in her, they are a very small percentage of contributing material- the rest is regular, every day women. Every culture, every continent, every corner. An amazing book that all girls should get to look at- it's inspiring to say the least.
Claire
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautiful collection of photographs of women from National Geographic's Image Collection though I'd guess at least 75% are from the past 20 years. I would've liked to have seen more historical images as well as more shots of women in action rather than posed portraits.

There are also a series of interviews with women of note throughout the book.
Leonard
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A large photo book with nearly 500 pages of outstanding images by National Geographic photographers. A rich collection of excellent photography.
Eboné  Bracy Andrews
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal collection of work.
Stevie
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
having gloria allred be profiled in the same book as tarana burke? it's a no from me
Giovanna
Brittany Harrington
Jan 31, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• National Geographic Atlas of the National Parks
  • Friends, Lovers, Chocolate (Isabel Dalhousie, #2)
  • Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith l Summary & Study Guide
  • Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith Summary & Study Guide
  • The Careful Use of Compliments (Isabel Dalhousie, #4)
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #20)
  • La's Orchestra Saves the World
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • Love Over Scotland (44 Scotland Street, #3)
  • The Right Attitude to Rain (Isabel Dalhousie, #3)
  • Espresso Tales (44 Scotland Street, #2)
  • The Contract
  • Epoca: The Tree of Ecrof
  • The Electric Heir (Feverwake #2)
  • Goodnight Bubbala: A Joyful Parody