Start by marking “Murder in Ordinary Time (Sister Mary Helen, #4)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Ordinary Time (Sister Mary Helen, #4)

Murder in Ordinary Time (Sister Mary Helen #4)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Just one bite of that irresistible Christmas cookie and Christina Kelly, Channel 5's leading investigative reporter, was on the air--dead. The odor of bitter almond told Sister May Helen the cause of the death: cyanide. Somewhere in the studio was the wily killer; it was a person everyone knew.
Had Christina's investigations led her to her dead end? Or was the fatal cookie
Published June 13th 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Ordinary Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Ordinary Time

Lynn Demsky
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, humor
Ordinary Time – the quiet time on the Roman Catholic Calendar when there are no major holy days or celebrations ---comes to a quick halt when Sister Mary Helen witnesses the on-air murder of the television reporter who was preparing to interview her. But the murder was intended for some one else and here goes Sister Mary Helen racing in with her pals where angels fear to tread!----making it far from Ordinary Time, for any ones calendar!

Move over Ms Marple ---this book was a pure joy o read! I th
Lisa
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder hits a news station just while Sister Mary Helen is being interviewed. Although told to leave the case alone, she just can't and finds herself once again in the thick of things.
Donna
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
When I was in high school, nuns wore habits and had no identities apart from those given them by their religious order. They were called by odd, often masculine names derived from the names of saints. They relinquished their birthdays in favor of "saint's days." And although I went to a school that was right next door to a convent, what went on inside that convent remained a mystery to the initiated.

In her "Sister Mary Helen" series, the real-life sister Carol Anne O'Marie demystifies the nunner
Alton Motobu
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sr. Mary Helen goes to TV studio to be interviewed, but the host drops dead after eating a cyanide-laced cookie. The only suspects are the 11 people in the studio at the time - assorted reporters, producers and technicians. But who baked the cookie and what was the motive for the murder? Mary Helen investigates and eliminates the suspects one by one until the least likely suspect emerges as the killer. Subplot about police detective Kate McCoy's pregnancy seems unnecessary, until you realize the ...more
Scott L.
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
A very easy, yet fun read (took me two days). Not much to the mystery, as the whole plot line kind of gives itself away. Still, some very interesting characterizations and character development. Not the best murder mystery I have ever read, but certainly not the worst either. I do like Sister Mary Helen and look forward to reading more of Sister O'Marie's books.
Suzi
Mar 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked the book. I am not Catholic, but had no problem following it.

Interesting, but I didn’t like the constant quotes from plays and poems. Would a 70+ year old nun really have so many things memorized that she still remembered that wasn’t Bible?

However, as I remember back to it, the quotes are the tantalizing part of the book. I have read others by her since and like them.
CJ
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This entry in the series was very enjoyable on many levels. Normally, I'm not fond of back stories, in books or on TV, because they seem to slow down the mystery, but I actually read most of Kate's personal story this time. There were threads that connected, others that were woven, but all that kept me on the edge of my seat.
Carol
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cozy mystery featuring a nun! (as an ex-Catholic who attended grade 1 - 12 in Catholic school, I have a fondness for some nuns in particular and nuns in general.)
quite enjoyed it and am looking forward to another one.
Cat Kwiatkowski
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fast read that is very well constructed. The lower-level of human drama is a great change to most mysteries, you don't want the killer to have done it; and Sister Mary Helen is charming competent and quicker than those half her age through the whole story.
Mary Helene
Jun 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lone Mountain graduates
Shelves: mysteries
I'd rather read mysteries in the order they were written, but since I was lukewarm about the first in this series (A Novena for Murder) I decided to give the author one more chance here. I thought it much improved over the first! Perhaps the author relaxed into her own style.
Marianne Jay
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do I love thee Sister Mary Helen? Let me count the ways...........super cute cozy mystery book series. I so love this old gal.
Lynda
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lynda by: lyndafn@yahoo.com
For some reason, I have always lover "clergy" mysteries. The Sister Mary Helen mysteries were no exception.
Dale
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Ckl LP Jack and Kate has baby boy and Sister Mary Helen is on TV news show when host dies
Kyrie
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Figured half of it very early, but I didn't figure it all out and was surprised at the end of the mystery.

It's light, but it's a good escape.
Barbara Radisavljevic
My review for this series is under Novena for Murder.
Pat
Janice
Sep 04, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Linen God
  • Crown of Thorns (Nick Barrett, #2)
  • A Brace of Bloodhounds
  • The Father's Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #11)
  • Read and Buried (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #2)
  • The Norths Meet Murder (Mr. & Mrs. North #1)
  • Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #2)
  • Sweet Poison (Jane Lawless, #16)
  • The House of Seven Mabels (Jane Jeffry, #13)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • The Finishing Stroke (Ellery Queen Detective, #26)
  • Rainbow's End (Felse, #13)
  • The Body in the Cast (Faith Fairchild, #5)
  • Something in the Water (Peter Shandy, #9)
  • The Vanishing Violin (The Red Blazer Girls, #2)
  • Tempest in a Teapot (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #17)
  • Lie of the Needle
  • Flash Point (In a Heartbeat #2)
Sister Carol Anne O'Marie was a mystery writer and a nun in the St. Joseph of Carondelet religious order.

She wrote eleven novels with the protagonist Sister Mary Helen, an elderly nun who solves crimes. Most of the books are based in San Francisco.

Her final book, Like a Swarm of Bees, is about the origins of the Sisters of St. Joseph in the United States.

Sister Carol Anne O'Marie and Sister Mauree
More about Carol Anne O'Marie...

Sister Mary Helen (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Novena for Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #1)
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
  • The Missing Madonna (Sister Mary Helen, #3)
  • Murder Makes a Pilgrimage (Sister Mary Helen, #5)
  • Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6)
  • Death of an Angel (Sister Mary Helen, #7)
  • Death Takes Up a Collection (Sister Mary Helen, #8)
  • Requiem at the Refuge (Sister Mary Helen, #9)
  • The Corporal Works of Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #10)
  • Murder at the Monks' Table (Sister Mary Helen, #11)