Start by marking “Cutting up in the Kitchen: The Butcher's Guide to Saving Money on Meat” as Want to Read:
Cutting up in the Kitchen: The Butcher's Guide to Saving Money on Meat

Cutting up in the Kitchen: The Butcher's Guide to Saving Money on Meat

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Cutting up in the Kitchen: The Butcher's Guide to Saving Money on Meat.
Published October 1st 1975 by Chronicle Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Cutting up in the Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cutting up in the Kitchen

Hepe
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Want to sit through 200 pages of a book from the 70s about home butchering?
Old but useful if you eat meat.

I got this book because I've only recently started cooking meat at home again and things just aren't called what I remembered. Although the point of the book is to help you save money by buying a big chunk of meat and cutting your own steaks and roasts out of it, my freezer won't keep a pint of ice cream frozen, so I'm not going to be doing any bulk buying and home butchering. Instead I used it to learn how to how to actually ignore the labels and recognize the cu
Rick Segers
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I inherited this book from my mother-in-law when she downsized her house. I still use it frequently. Plus it has some great stories. I today learned that Merle Ellis died last month after a lengthy illness. Imagine a career made out of cutting meat on television and teaching people how to dit and what to do with it once you cut it.
Marieli
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
read this book when I was a new homemaker, it has saved me tons of money and even better I know how to choose meat and cook it right.
Mikey
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is not a cookbook. It's a comprehensive reference tool about some of the raw materials you prepare in your kitchen--meat and poultry. Ellis used to be on television locally and his regular features always left you entertained and knowing more about meat and poultry than you knew before. If only you could write it down and keep it as a reference. Well, here it is: Merle Ellis in print and it's almost as enjoyable reading as seeing him on screen.

I bought a roast recently. It was labeled 7-bon
Sheril
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I looked for this book for years before I bought a copy. Now for several years I have really enjoyed owning a copy. I refer to it occasionally when cooking and I have a few times poured over it and made notes and really utilized it when preparing for a particular moment such as speaking to the processor when the farmer takes in the animal that I have purchased for the freezer. This book has been invaluable.
Adam Crafter