Start by marking “True Evil” as Want to Read:
True Evil

True Evil

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  16,915 ratings  ·  1,012 reviews
Dr. Chris Shepard, a busy young doctor in Natchez, Mississippi, has never seen his new patient Alex Morse before. But the attractive young woman with the scarred face has come to Dr. Shepards office on a mission to catch a killer. This New York Times bestseller is available in a tall Premium Edition.
Published December 12th 2006 by Scribner Book Company (first published 2006)

·  16,915 ratings  ·  1,012 reviews

Start your review of True Evil
Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it
True Evil by Greg Iles is a modern, psychological thriller blending elements of smooth yet relentless FBI detective work with what at least passes for a well researched biological terrorism plot.

Iles is also fairly adept at characterization as this Natchez, MS based novel teams with three dimensional, very real protagonists and antagonists. One of the selling points of this book is the great detail to which Iles addresses almost every subplot and character interaction.

Also refreshing is not on
Kasia
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hands down this was one of the best books I have read in a long time. Greg Iles does a brilliant job of writing a book that reads like a movie, the plot and scenery so realistic that I had a hard time tearing myself away from the story, reading it in three sittings despite the 500 plus page span. I would suggest not reading too much of the dust jacket as it tells the reader a lot about the story and I found to be a bit of a spoiler so I waited until the book was over to read it and realized that ...more
Sheila Beaumont
This brilliant psychological-medical thriller, set mostly in Mississippi, kept me enthralled all the way through. Toward the end, it seemed to me that there was no way things could turn out well with so few pages left! As the title indicates, this book features a villain who is one of the most evil you'll run across in fiction. I definitely want to read more of Greg Iles' books.
Michael
Jul 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
People kept telling me to read Greg Iles because I like good crime mystery books. It didn't take long to see that his books are in the same class as James Patterson who I stopped reading long ago after he became a book factory.
This book has too many improbable plot tangents going on along with totally unbelieveable characters (a rogue FBI agent, a divorce lawyer offering murder as a way to simplify divorce, and a maniacal virologist conspiring with the government to develop a selective can
Neil
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. What a great psychological thriller, and I have to admit to being totally engrossed in the book. So much so that what I was meant to do didn't get done until after the final page. Greg Iles paints a masterful landscape, which he peoples with care and attention. There are even cameo appearances from some familiar characters from the Penn Cage series of books.
The principal character is an FBI Agent, Alex Morse, supposedly destined for great things until her career takes a turn for the w
Karen
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes action, suspense
This is one of the most intelligent and entertaining reads I have had in a long time--difficult to find both in one book. It was full of excitement, fast-moving, and I kept thinking, this would make a great movie! This was my first Greg Iles book and I'll be reading his others, this book was obviously well-researched. The momentum never seemed to let up. Usually, I do much research on various websites and read review after review on books before I select just the right one. With True Evil, I jus ...more
Roger
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers, mystery
I bought this on impulse one day at Powell's. It had been over ten years since I last reads a Greg Iles book, Black Cross I think, and I really enjoyed that, as well as Spandau Phoenix. I figured I couldn't go wrong and I was right.

This book is a taut page turner with a complex plot. The characters are well fleshed out. The good guys are likable and the bad guys are assholes.

I couldn't put this one down.
Jonathan K
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yet another great page turner from a favorite author, this story like all the others was engaging from start to finish. What I really enjoy is how many of the Natchez characters have become a sort of family. This story centers around a female character never mentioned in the other books and yet Greg finds ways to bring in Penn Cage and his father along with Agent Kaiser who we see in the Natchez Burning trilogy. Iles has a formula that much like other best selling crime authors works across any ...more
Karen
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone
I really like this author. He basically writes suspense / beach reads, but he's so smart that you don't feel like you're doing guilty pleasure reading. This book is about an FBI agent whose sister suddenly dies under mysterious circumstances. After doing some digging she comes to believe that her sister's husband had her murdered, but not by any conventional means. Her investigation uncovers system where spouses of the rich are being murdered by being given cancer and other deadly diseases. Afte ...more
Adam Light
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. It took me three attempts over the course of two years to finally finish this potboiler.
It was the first Greg Iles paperback I ever bought. In the interim, I have read at least a half-dozen of his other books, including the downright amazing Penn Cage series. I ended up loving the end of this book, and thus gave the four star rating.

However,
This book was extremely dense, and I (obviously) found it hard to get into.
My wife read it about a month ago, and ripped through
Vicki Willis
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, 2019
I have read a few by this author and he never disappoints. The storyline was great. The idea of murdering someone through giving them cancer IS true evil. The characters were also great. There were ones to love and others to hate. Even though the book was long it kept a good pace. I listened on audible and did not like the narrator at all. His "kid" voice and "female" voices were horrible. Really bad.
miteypen
May 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I normally love Greg Iles, but this was not his best work. I think he made a tactical error when he revealed up front how the lawyer and the "evil scientist/doctor" were able to cause people's deaths without being caught. It would have been better if it had taken the main character a while to figure it out so that the reader could have the fun of trying to figure it out, too.

Another reason why I didn't like it that well is because I just couldn't identify with the main character, Alex. She was
Melissa
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FBI agent Alex Morse was told by her dying sister that her own husband killed her. Determined to find out the truth Alex ends up uncovering multiple deaths of very rich people whose spouses have gained a lot from their deaths. Also, a divorce attorney that is linked to each them. Dr. Chris Shepard’s wife was seen leaving this divorce attorney’s office and he may be the next victim. Alex needs his help, but must first convince him that he is in danger.

This is my first Greg Iles book a
Wendy Ballard
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Greg Iles is a gifted writer. My only complaint is that his books are usually at least 200 pages too long. Great story, great character development, but geez, how many pages need to be devoted to showing the bad guy is the bad guy - after the third occurrence, we get it and how many pages need to be devoted to a woman sitting at a bedside?

Anyway - the plot is solid - and wickedly creepy. A divorce attorney is finding a new way to help his clients. An out of favor FBI agent finds out from someth
Ginger
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Suspense Lovers
This author is new to me, but now I can't wait to get my hands on his other books! What a ride! From the 1st page to the last, this book had me firmly in its grip and never let me go. From the inside cover, " If you wanted to kill your spouse and get away with it, you had to do something truly ingenious: something that wouldn't even be perceived as murder . So it begins...

I can honestly say this book had me staying up late at night and well into the morning. I just had to find out w
Sfike3
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was way too long and painful to read!!! 614 pages - never so glad to be finished with a book!!! I’m sure some of this stuff on bio warfare is true but some of it seemed wayyyyy to embellished to be true and then the ending was pretty unrealistic as well - do not recommend this book and am SHOCKED them at it has received 4 stars!!!
Andy Russell
I've read many a Greg Iles. Oh, I know me some Greg Iles. If someone dies, and it takes place in Mississippi, you can bet your bottom dollar Greg Iles wrote a novel about it.

For the most part, my experience with Greg Iles has been mostly positive. Nothing mind boggling or incredibly deep, but, hey, that's not why you read these kind of books. As far as mass production authors go though, (your James Pattersons, your Douglas Prestons, or whatevs) Iles is usually pretty good at making m
Randee
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Greg Iles and it will not be the last. It's exciting, a real page turner and thought provoking. Viruses scare me a lot more than nuclear bombs, snakes, terrorism and just about anything else you can name. I think it far more likely that the world will be brought to its knees by viruses either accidentally or with malice aforethought than any other candidate. Twelve years ago, in the prime of my life, healthy and with good genes, I caught a flu. I had had the f ...more
Annabelle
Jun 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
This is a truly preposterous tale of a psychopath, genius virologist who had worked for the government to create a virus that caused cancer. Alex Morse, FBI agent, is told by her sister that her husband killed her as she dies as a seemingly naturally caused stroke. Researching, she finds an attorney who meets with clients who would be hurt financially by divorce, but who spouses die of cancer and other natural diseases. The lawyer is working with the genius psychopath, and Alex finds his next vi ...more
Lindsay
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
a ridiculous amount of research had to have gone into this book because its a topic that not many people would think of right off the top of their head...i guess that's why he's the writer and i'm just in love with his books (because i'm not as creative as he is). a crazy genius and a crazy topic. i read this at work, and because of the title people thought i was crazy and, well..evil. if only they would have opened it to the first page. they never would have given it a second thought...they wou ...more
Glynis Jolly
I wasn't able to finish the book. Although I usually like Greg Isles, this one was slow and disjointed.
-----
It turned out that an illness that has been plaguing me was the reason for me not being able to get through the book.

Isles appears to be better at the description of his male characters, even when the protagonist is a female. Overall, the story was intriguing and kept my interest even through the epilogue. The antagonist was a little hard to believe because of his i
janjones
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greg Iles is a wonderful creative writer and this book is a fine example of his work . The story is unique in that it creates a different approach to divorce to say the least. I think it's good enough for the main character to end up in a series . Lots of suspense and mystery and enough to keep you wondering . I thoroughly enjoyed the book and I recommend it .
Audrey
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
So now I really like this author...this is the second book of his that I've read and this one is good too. He can write a great action packed thriller! Outrageous, unbelievable, crazy even - but on the other hand it really could happen. Superhuman good guys, truly evil bad guys,lots of action and a little love interest. Good stuff. I'm gonna need to read more Greg Iles.
Lynda
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I lost SO much sleep reading this book! I kept telling myself "one more page, then I'm done." Didn't happen. This book was great, and a real page-turner and I hated to see it end because I enjoyed it so much.
fyc
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was so real, so scientific that I caught myself hoping that this could not happen in real life. I just couldn't put it down. I HAD to know what was going to happen next. Lots of twists, great character development, good scene descriptions all abound.
Helga
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
I enjoyed this book... It reminded me of Agatha Christie 's "The Pale Horse"
Kerry Derouen
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great Read! Captured my attention from the 1st chapter and I could not put it down until the end.
Zulfiya
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
it is 3.5 stars, and had I not read his Natchez trilogy, it would have been a solid 4 star read, but I know now what he Greg did not know then that he could do better, so much better.

In 2006, when this book was released, Greg Iles was a genre writer, and now, after that trilogy, he is a novelist in my eyes. FYI, this is just a tangent.
True Evil is a very compelling novel that offers a multiple point of view perspective, and each character is believable and real, even his super villains are dri
Chris Miller
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
True Evil by Greg Iles really does explore absolute, pure evil...in spades.

An FBI agent's sister is suddenly struck with a stroke, and as she's dying, she makes a chilling revelation to her: her HUSBAND has killed her and to save her son from him. Flabbergasted, the agent begins looking into it. Turns out there have been a string of deaths, all natural (or seemingly natural) causes: stroke, heart attack, and several cancers. They all have something in common as well. Each of the vict
Melinda Elizabeth
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book starts off with a bang. Alex Morse, a rogue FBI agent who is on medical leave after a botched hostage negotiation, is summoned to her home town when her sister is unexpectedly ill.

On her deathbed, Alex's sister passes on some unbelievable news. Her much loved husband Bill is the reason why she's ill. And Alex needs to save their son Jamie at all costs.

With such high stakes it's understandable that Alex pulls out all stops to pin her sisters murder on Bill. But what she uncovers durin
I gave up 10 107 Oct 26, 2017 08:40AM

• Love 'N' Marriage
  • Resurrection Day
  • Killer Instinct
  • Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley, #3)
  • Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)
  • True Justice (Butch Karp, #12)
  • You Are Next
  • Parallel Lies
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • Lying With Strangers
  • Apple Of My Eye
Greg Iles was born in Germany in 1960. He grew up in Natchez, Mississippi, and graduated from the University of Mississippi in 1983. He was active in a band called "Frankly Scarlet", but quit after realizing that the touring lifestyle was not conducive with his family life. Once no longer busy with the band, he turned his attention to writing.

Greg's novels have been translated into var
“All partnerships fail in the end, just like marriages. The only life after death any human being will ever know is staying in a marriage or a partnership after it’s over. And that’s not life—it’s living death.” 2 likes
“PET scan and gene therapy. “I need you” 0 likes